PDA

View Full Version : Hidden Widgets References in iPhone?

MacRumors
Jul 30, 2007, 10:40 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

A story comes out of Gizmodo (http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/mining-for-gold/tantalizing-hints-at-new-iphone-capabilities-uncovered-in-firmware-283796.php)/iPhoneology (http://www.iphoneology.com/2007/07/30/iphone-firmware-hints-at-new-apps-widgets/) that suggests that Apple may have had plans for other widgets built into the iPhone.

References to 4 unused Widget names in the iPhone's "LocalizedApplicationNames.strings" file raise some possibilities. These names are listed:

key: com.apple.widget.translation
string: Translator

key: com.apple.unitconverter
string: Converter

key: com.apple.widget.phonebook
string: Business

key: com.apple.mobile.radio
string: Radio

The "string" name refers to the name that would appear on the iPhone home screen. So the phonebook widget would presumably be a "Business" directory. Coincidentally, there had been unconfirmed rumors (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/07/15/official-yellowpages-iphone-application/) that AT&T's Yellowpages.com would find its way onto the iPhone as a new application.

These strings have been known for some time, and may simply represent some left-over widgets from Mac OS X itself. Apple's Mac OS X Dashboard features (http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/dashboard/) Phone Book, Translator, and Unit Converter on the standard installation of Mac OS X. This, however, would not easily explain the mobile radio widget reference.

One area of potential confusion for readers is that Gizmodo and iPhoneology published a graphic (http://www.iphoneology.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/newapps.jpg) of corresponding widget icons. These icons are not actually found on the iPhone itself, but are just a compilation posted for illustrative purposes.

Apple has long suggested that new iPhone applications would be coming in the future, with hints (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/05/28/atandts-glenn-lurie-on-the-iphone/) that new Google applications would also be arriving for the iPhone.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2007/07/30/hidden-widgets-references-in-iphone/)

Dr. Dastardly
Jul 30, 2007, 10:44 AM
I always thought that the iPhone would be great if they implemented the program Dodge Ball that I believe Google purchased a while back. Basically it gave you the location of a buddy on your phone. Paired with google maps that would be a killer app on the iPhone.

Oh and GPS.

Eduardo1971
Jul 30, 2007, 10:46 AM
Having the iPhone as a mobile radio would be very cool indeed!

Sandfleaz
Jul 30, 2007, 10:50 AM
Translator, Converter, Phonebook seem like no brainers and a perfect fit.

Mobile radio could be the most interesting.

jdechko
Jul 30, 2007, 10:53 AM
4 apps > 4 icons > 1 free row / 4 free app spaces on iPhone display

Might be on to something. ;)

(or not)

rubberduck007
Jul 30, 2007, 10:57 AM
I always thought that the iPhone would be great if they implemented the program Dodge Ball that I believe Google purchased a while back. Basically it gave you the location of a buddy on your phone. Paired with google maps that would be a killer app on the iPhone.

Oh and GPS.

Like a Tom Tom buddy I guess?

TuffLuffJimmy
Jul 30, 2007, 11:01 AM
Dang. Those all sound like good apps but I was hoping the last row would be filled with something a little cooler. Maybe once they are over flowing with widgets on the home screen we will be able to pick and choose what goes where.

koobcamuk
Jul 30, 2007, 11:08 AM
Once the iPhone gets Japanese support, I am getting one. A translator would be good for Europeans.

kin
Jul 30, 2007, 11:12 AM
Radio? Will Apple finally put this feature in it's iPod and iPhone?

zombitronic
Jul 30, 2007, 11:13 AM
I'm guessing Radio would be web radio, since there's no AM/FM radio tuner built in, right? But web radio couldn't stream very well over EDGE. This would definitely be a great app for car audio, if it worked.

donlphi
Jul 30, 2007, 11:14 AM
It would be great if it supported XM or Sirius radio (via internet connection). I just downloaded the Sirius radio for OS X and thought it would make an amazing app for the iPhone.

The other listed "UNSUPPORTED APPS" can go away along with the Notes and Clock APP. Absolutely worthless.:p

atari1356
Jul 30, 2007, 11:16 AM
Radio would be nice... that just seems like natural thing for it to have with wifi access.

donlphi
Jul 30, 2007, 11:18 AM
Maybe it is a built in FM transmitting program? Is that even possible considering the guts of the iPHONE?

Listen to your music in your car without hooking it up to some wire.

paulyras
Jul 30, 2007, 11:20 AM
As for the Radio, it would be great to be able to listen to mp3 streams. NPR on the iphone would be really nice. You can almost do the same sort of thing on the iphone with seeqpod (www.seeqpod.com/iphone). It's really cool, but some of the song labels are a disaster.

Be forewarned though, it will suck your battery dry in no time, combining high amounts of wifi, with audio.

P

nagromme
Jul 30, 2007, 11:21 AM
I see the 6 people who automatically click Negative on MR are awake :)

Radio ('net streaming?) seems like an odd thing to have separate from the iPod section. You'd think it would be under iPod.

In any case:

Don't get your hopes up: a left-over canceled feature would look much the same as an unfinished planned one.

Don't fret over only having 4 slots on the home screen. It could scroll.

fastbite
Jul 30, 2007, 11:22 AM
Mobile radio is overrated. I was one of the ones asking for radio on the ipod -- then the radio adapter came out, I got it and use it twice. Pointless. Maybe on the iphone would be different, but I doubt it.:)

krimedog
Jul 30, 2007, 11:26 AM

I think we're likely to see an implimentation similar to the iPod feature on the iPhone. Where you can click More (...) and configure which icons YOU want on the home screen.

For me you can get rid of the Calculator and YouTube. I could do 2 touches to get to these seldomly used Widgets.

zombitronic
Jul 30, 2007, 11:29 AM
The other listed "UNSUPPORTED APPS" can go away along with the Notes and Clock APP. Absolutely worthless.:p

No way, man. I use Notes as a shopping list all the time.

xelphy
Dang. Those all sound like good apps but I was hoping the last row would be filled with something a little cooler. Maybe once they are over flowing with widgets on the home screen we will be able to pick and choose what goes where.

Eventually: You could have like 20 apps and u flick it up and down to scroll -- where the mini 'dock' never moves. And I'm sure at some point we'll be able to customize this stuff.

Question: how does iPhone correlate w/Google's future acquisition of 700mhz band?

RodThePlod
Maybe it is a built in FM transmitting program? Is that even possible considering the guts of the iPHONE?

Yeah I like this idea!

Have no idea if it's possible with the hardware currently installed inside an iPhone, though.

Rod

xelphy
Jul 30, 2007, 11:32 AM
No way, man. I use Notes as a shopping list all the time.

Yes, and Clock is good for cooking, and as an alarm clock -- EXCEPT that it should be able to wake me up with my itunes music!

amberashby
Jul 30, 2007, 11:32 AM
Why does everyone keep referring to the 4 free spaces for icons on the iPhone home screen as if we are limited to 4 and that is it? You could easily scroll the screen and have unlimted icons.

whenpaulsparks
Jul 30, 2007, 11:33 AM
radio probably means the phone app itself. the wireless communication is often referred to as "radio" in telcom terms.

lazyrighteye
Jul 30, 2007, 11:33 AM
"Where... where... are you tonight?"

It's funny how impatient we/I are/am with reguards to that 1st iPhone Software Update. I wonder if Apple wants a certain number of devices out before releaing an update or if it's a time thing: meaning is Apple technically ready?

Regardless, looking forward to it/them.

Radam
Jul 30, 2007, 11:35 AM
I hope if they give us more things for the iphone, that we will be able to pick and choose which new ones we want on our phone. because like if someone doesn't use the stock thing but would like the yellow pages, they could replace the stock thing with yellow pages.

LillieDesigns
Jul 30, 2007, 11:40 AM
These kind of findings are the things that make me feel like a touch screen iPod isn't coming for awhile. Unless the iPod comes with wifi, half the widgets and apps on the front screen will have no use on the iPod. Is it going to be a giant black screen with one "iPod" button in the middle?

I guess unit conversion and things like that could be somewhat useful, but all this new stuff for the phone makes me fearful for the pod. :confused:

zombitronic
Jul 30, 2007, 11:40 AM

They sell those adapters that do this. It would seem like a technological step-back, though, when WiFi and Bluetooth exist. Now we just need Apple to make a car stereo, (and a super battery.)

Kingsly
Jul 30, 2007, 11:41 AM
Where is Dictionary? Seems like an obvious one to me... :o

poeticfolly
Jul 30, 2007, 11:42 AM
We've had this info for a week (http://www.modmyiphone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1146&highlight=unitconverter)....

Hattig
Jul 30, 2007, 11:46 AM
Hmm, if Apple does want to put iChat on the iPhone (clearly a common sense function to include, once working, and rumoured to appear in a future update) then why isn't there an entry for that there? Why remove the iChat entry, but not these others (regardless of whether they are cancelled or incomplete features). I guess it is less sensitive, and with different developers you get different levels of competance at ensuring consistency with shipping builds.

But yes, these seem like nice widgets to have on the phone. Maybe one day there will be an applications screen, and a widgets screen, and you can flick left and right through them (like switching 'tabs' in iPhone Safari). Or a settings feature where you can order your home screen apps.

Hattig
Jul 30, 2007, 11:47 AM
Where is Dictionary? Seems like an obvious one to me... :o

Maybe that could have a button to manage the user dictionary on the iPhone and delete misspellings and cockups.

cliffjumper68
Jul 30, 2007, 11:50 AM
Translator, Converter, Phonebook seem like no brainers and a perfect fit.

Mobile radio could be the most interesting.

I wonder if this is a new itunes add maybe in the waiting for the Leopard or new ipod launches.

RodThePlod
Jul 30, 2007, 11:54 AM
These kind of findings are the things that make me feel like a touch screen iPod isn't coming for awhile. Unless the iPod comes with wifi, half the widgets and apps on the front screen will have no use on the iPod. Is it going to be a giant black screen with one "iPod" button in the middle?

No! The main screen will contain icons for all the usual iPod menu options - you know: Music, Photos, Videos, Extras, Playlists, etc.

:)

Rod.

Analog Kid
Jul 30, 2007, 11:56 AM
It would be great if it supported XM or Sirius radio (via internet connection). I just downloaded the Sirius radio for OS X and thought it would make an amazing app for the iPhone.

Funny, I look at just the other way-- no interest in any sort of Radio, but the Translate, Convert and YellowPages widgets from Dashboard would be really selling points for me. Those first two would be indispensable for anyone who travels.
Eventually: You could have like 20 apps and u flick it up and down to scroll -- where the mini 'dock' never moves. And I'm sure at some point we'll be able to customize this stuff.

I suspect we're going to see the iPhone interface behave more like System Preferences. When the icon count starts to get too high, they'll combine stuff to avoid having to hunt through too many icons.

chr1s60
Jul 30, 2007, 11:56 AM
Perhaps one or more of these will be revealed in the rumored software update that people have been talking about and saying is on its way since June 30th. Seeing as this update was rumored to be close to happening many weeks ago, I am starting to doubt we are close to any update. I think the first one will probably come with Leopard and include some nice new features including some of these widgets. I personally would like the radio one and the translator. I guess time will tell if these will actually become widgets on the iPhone.

Analog Kid
Jul 30, 2007, 12:01 PM
Hmm, if Apple does want to put iChat on the iPhone (clearly a common sense function to include, once working, and rumoured to appear in a future update) then why isn't there an entry for that there?
As long as AT&T can charge for SMS messages, there will be no iChat. Just as there will be no Skype. The SMS interface is "iChat mobile".

Now, maybe if AT&T realizes they're converting customers over at 40% rate, or whatever it was, they'll decide world domination beats $0.02 per SMS message and things will change.

SirOmega
Jul 30, 2007, 12:07 PM
I don't think atts edge network has the bandwdth for web radio - not unless the buffer is 15 seconds. Maybe if att ever rolls out faster edge speeds around 120k/s, well see it.

Also on the ichat note above i think its entirely possible that well see ichat use sms rather than internet.

mrtune
Jul 30, 2007, 12:13 PM
What does iChat have to do with att charging for sms messages? Nothing. Apple simply chose not to include it, that's all.

IM applications are available for other smartphones in att's inventory that rely on internet instead of the sms system. It's not like this would be the first phone on att's network that have free IM.

grappler
Jul 30, 2007, 12:22 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple has long suggested that new iPhone applications would be coming in the future, with hints (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/05/28/atandts-glenn-lurie-on-the-iphone/) that new Google applications would also be arriving for the iPhone.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2007/07/30/hidden-widgets-references-in-iphone/)

I'd love to know what this might mean for iPhone and GrandCentral. I've had a grandcentral account for a few months and Google just bought them a few weeks ago.

If they can be integrated so that my GrandCentral address book, gmail address book, iphone address book and macbook pro address book are all merged and synced (merge gmail address book and grandcentral address book into one "online address book", and then keep that synced with the others) that would be awesome.

What would also be awesome is if iPhone's visual voicemail is somehow merged with GrandCentral's visual voicemail, which can be checked from a web browser.

And finally, it would be awesome if I could make a call that shows up as coming _from_ my universal grandcentral number, as easily as I could from the number assigned to the iphone account, using the iphone.

I eagerly await a native GrandCentral app!

AidenShaw
Jul 30, 2007, 12:28 PM
I see the 6 people who automatically click Negative on MR are awake :)

And those who fail to see why a couple of resource entries makes this a "significant" Mac story. :mad:

http://www.macrumors.com/2007/07/22/macrumors-iphone-forums-mobile-spy/

MacRumors/iPhone - we separated additional tips and stories of interest to iPhone owners onto a separate page.

"Significant" iPhone related stories will still be cross-posted to the main site.

nagromme
Jul 30, 2007, 12:41 PM
I think we're likely to see an implimentation similar to the iPod feature on the iPhone. Where you can click More (...) and configure which icons YOU want on the home screen.

Yep, that would work great. Ability to re-order would be nice while they're at it.

I guess unit conversion and things like that could be somewhat useful, but all this new stuff for the phone makes me fearful for the pod. :confused:

An iPod could use a touchscreen for.... iPod functions :) Not for Internet and voice stuff, but for music and video. And for those things like Notes and World Clock that iPods already do that don't use a network. Nothing about a touchscreen UI demands Internet.

And those who fail to see why a couple of resource entries makes this a "significant" Mac story. :mad:

And yet significant enough to post and complain about :D

But I agree, it IS a shame that this minor story bumped down the 3-day old Leopard Dock story. I was still enjoying that one and now I have to scroll :)

We've had this info for a week (http://www.modmyiphone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1146&highlight=unitconverter)....

Thanks for the link. (As the MR article states: "These strings have been known for some time")

FJR1300
Jul 30, 2007, 12:46 PM
I hope if they give us more things for the iphone, that we will be able to pick and choose which new ones we want on our phone. because like if someone doesn't use the stock thing but would like the yellow pages, they could replace the stock thing with yellow pages.

Now you're hitting on something! Mini dashboard interface within iTunes to manage you apps. Great Idea! :)

hooch
Jul 30, 2007, 12:47 PM
Mobile radio is overrated. I was one of the ones asking for radio on the ipod -- then the radio adapter came out, I got it and use it twice. Pointless. Maybe on the iphone would be different, but I doubt it.:)

I would ABSOLUTELY LOVE a freaking radio in the ipod!! I don't care what everyone else says how it doesn't belong in a iPod. I would use it all the time because I am once again sick of my music and would like to listen to the radio. I like to listen to the morning shows on the way into the office. It is a nice change from constantly listen to music and they help keep you up with current events.

morespce54
Jul 30, 2007, 12:50 PM
Radio ('net streaming?) seems like an odd thing to have separate from the iPod section. You'd think it would be under iPod.

agree!

it *will* scroll... someday :cool:

Analog Kid
Jul 30, 2007, 12:59 PM
What does iChat have to do with att charging for sms messages? Nothing. Apple simply chose not to include it, that's all.

IM applications are available for other smartphones in att's inventory that rely on internet instead of the sms system. It's not like this would be the first phone on att's network that have free IM.
It seems pretty clear that Apple had to go through some intense negotiations with carriers to enter this market. There appears to have been a lot of give and take. Apple also appears to be getting a percentage of the ongoing revenue stream.

Apple obviously chose not to include iChat, but the question is "why?". It's not like an IM client is particularly hard to do...

I won't be surprised if the uptake and customer conversion rates lead to a change in thinking, but not including a free alternative to a pay service seems like the conservative approach.

crees!
Jul 30, 2007, 12:59 PM
These strings have been known for some time, and may simply represent some left-over widgets from Mac OS X itself. Apple's Mac OS X Dashboard features (http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/dashboard/) Phone Book, Translator, and Unit Converter on the standard installation of Mac OS X. This, however, would not easily explain the mobile radio widget reference.

The easy explanation of mobile radio is that, like the iPod, there will be an AM/FM tuner accessory and the iPhone would provide the interface to change bands and tune stations in.

dashiel
Jul 30, 2007, 01:00 PM
Question: how does iPhone correlate w/Google's future acquisition of 700mhz band?

5 years from now when the at&t deal ends there will be no ipod/iphone product line; the two will have merged completely. only those who travel frequently and those in remote areas will need a cell phone contract.

everyone else will get unlimited voice/data/texting for a single monthly price. no minutes, no overage, no funky charges.

Skystar
Jul 30, 2007, 01:05 PM
The easy explanation of mobile radio is that, like the iPod, there will be an AM/FM tuner accessory and the iPhone would provide the interface to change bands and tune stations in.

I agree, or they may make it compatible with the current Apple FM Radio / Remote which I miss dearly. :(

cliffjumper68
Jul 30, 2007, 01:15 PM
I don't think atts edge network has the bandwdth for web radio - not unless the buffer is 15 seconds. Maybe if att ever rolls out faster edge speeds around 120k/s, well see it.

Also on the ichat note above i think its entirely possible that well see ichat use sms rather than internet.

ATT would have a problem, but the 3G networks in Asia and Europe would be more than adequate for these app's. It is to bad the iphone did not come out on Verizon or another 3G US company. At least we have wifi available on the iphone. :cool:

cliffjumper68
Jul 30, 2007, 01:17 PM
5 years from now when the at&t deal ends there will be no ipod/iphone product line; the two will have merged completely. only those who travel frequently and those in remote areas will need a cell phone contract.

everyone else will get unlimited voice/data/texting for a single monthly price. no minutes, no overage, no funky charges.

I thought that would happen when I got my iphone, but I have found I actually prefer seperate devices for music and the rest.

TPALTony
Jul 30, 2007, 01:34 PM

Why wouldn't a touch screen iPod just wake up directly in the iPod app? If it's just an iPod then just don't give it a home screen. Not sure why that would be hard.

I think logistical reality is the key driver here. They won't release a touch screen iPod right now because they are using their manufacturing capacity to pump out iPhones, which are very different to iPods. I think the next iPod will be similar to it's current form so it can be made in their current facilities.

I think we'll get one eventually, but not this year. They have a LOT of iPhone launches to do this year. :)

be well

t

tangerineyum
Jul 30, 2007, 01:39 PM

Hardly worthless, I use Notes for my grocery list. And the Clock app is my alarm, plus I have family in the Philippines and in Hawaii. If I want to make a call, it's good to know when they are awake.

chr1s60
Jul 30, 2007, 01:56 PM

I think a large percentage of people use the Clock app. I use it daily for my alarm clock and for a stopwatch when I work out. As far as notes go, I could do without it. I think I have only used it once or twice in the month that I have had the phone. I guess it might come in handy if I need to write down a number or something I need but don't want to store on my phone.

blybug
Jul 30, 2007, 02:32 PM
Hardly worthless, I use Notes for my grocery list. And the Clock app is my alarm, plus I have family in the Philippines and in Hawaii. If I want to make a call, it's good to know when they are awake.

You should check this out...

One Trip Shopping List (http://onetrip.org/apps/desktop.php?onetrip)

I played with it for a run to the supermarket and it works nicely. Apparently can even work when you're offline, but I happened to have a WiFi connection in Kroger so I'm not sure if that works or not.

LillieDesigns
Jul 30, 2007, 02:44 PM
TBH, Apple is turning me off by waiting so long to release a new iPod. I was in line for an iPhone and realized I just couldn't afford it. I bought the first generation Nano as a fill-in until a new large model came out and I've been waiting almost 2 years for a decent replacement.

The only thing I'm surprised with is the other companies not releasing something 100x better than the current iPod. The iPhone has an amazing iPod + all the apps/internet, yet, I have to wait for an affordable option so Apple can release their phone all over the world.

I'm all about Apple products, it's just discouraging when the technology is there and we all know we're waiting due to profit margins. :mad:

sam10685
Jul 30, 2007, 02:47 PM
Radio would be nice... that just seems like natural thing for it to have with wifi access.

Since when do radios require wifi?

heyjp
Jul 30, 2007, 03:42 PM
So back in the weeks before the iPhone was released, there were stories popping up about "a new version of Safari" as the iPhone was being tested. Have any of you web-gurus seen "newer" versions of the iPhone's Safari hitting to indicate that we might be in for an update? This year?

Jim

George Bailey
Jul 30, 2007, 04:10 PM
4 apps > 4 icons > 1 free row / 4 free app spaces on iPhone display

But if they ever have more than 16 it would be a problem. They'd have to invent some way of reaching the apps that are off the screen. Some kind of weird "scrolling" thing, probably with and up-arrow and a down-arrow you'd have to press to shift the display.

coolbreeze
Jul 30, 2007, 04:11 PM
Since when do radios require wifi?

Ever since EDGE was invented. There is no way EDGE could efficiently stream radio. My old Sprint 3G phone could only stream well on EVDO which is much faster than EDGE. Apple will be at the mercy of ATT's slow network with any bandwidth-intensive app.

EDIT: This is, of course, assuming we are referring to streaming radio. AM/FM obviously doesn't rely on a network connection...

F.D.
Jul 30, 2007, 04:57 PM
I, like many others here, am getting sick of this site being dominated by the sodding iPhone.

We have Page 1

We have page 2

I do now think it's time we had Page iPhone.

This isn't sarcasm. I've been visiting this site for many years now. And regardless of my seemingly perpetual 'newbie' status (I was a reader and member long before 2005), I'm starting to feel reluctant to click on my 'macrumors' bookmark because all I'm gonna be reading about is, as good as it might be, a bloody telephone.

I'm not kidding. I've had enough.

nagromme
Jul 30, 2007, 05:15 PM
But if they ever have more than 16 it would be a problem. They'd have to invent some way of reaching the apps that are off the screen. Some kind of weird "scrolling" thing, probably with and up-arrow and a down-arrow you'd have to press to shift the display.

Or flick, the same way everything else on the iPhone scrolls :) And customize what buttons are there, like the iPhone's iPod screen does.

This isn't sarcasm. I've been visiting this site for many years now. And regardless of my seemingly perpetual 'newbie' status (I was a reader and member long before 2005), I'm starting to feel reluctant to click on my 'macrumors' bookmark because all I'm gonna be reading about is, as good as it might be, a bloody telephone.

We DO have page iPhone, and most iPhone stuff goes there. On a slow news day like today, when there hadn't been any Mac news for 3 days, why not post something significant like a solid rumor of new iPhone features? The only thing MORE significant would be final NEWS of new features. But this is, after all, a rumor site as well.

The iPhone runs Mac OS X and is very significant to the Mac platform and to many Mac users.

Additionally, avoiding iPhone articles is as simple as not clicking them :)

If you're complaining not about today's story but about the last few weeks, I can explain the mystery: the reason there were so many iPhone stories for a time is that... the iPhone was new--and it was news. One should not assume because the iPhone launch had many stories to follow it, that the same level of coverage would continue forever. That hasn't happened.

Meanwhile, what non-iPhone Mac news has anyone missed because of the iPhone coverage? New Macs will come, but in the last few weeks they did not. The iPhone did.

Yankees 4 Life
Jul 30, 2007, 06:28 PM
I, like many others here, am getting sick of this site being dominated by the sodding iPhone.

We have Page 1

We have page 2

sorry man, did you remember all of the itv and ipod rumors? Just suck it up like everyone else.

boss1
Jul 30, 2007, 07:18 PM
I dont see an app for contacts/address book. Could that be phone?
Radio app could be the app that initially attempts to connect iPhone to AT&T.

iAmLegend
Jul 30, 2007, 07:55 PM
sorry man, did you remember all of the itv and ipod rumors? Just suck it up like everyone else.

Seriously. He should just buy an iPhone and he'll be as excited about these stories as we are :D

nagromme
Jul 30, 2007, 08:38 PM
I dont see an app for contacts/address book. Could that be phone?
Radio app could be the app that initially attempts to connect iPhone to AT&T.

Yes, the Phone app already on the iPhone has your contacts/address book. (And you can make use of in Mail as well.)

(It sounds like these apps are--or were--or will be--real user-accessible apps, with visible names--not invisible functions like connecting to AT&T.)

Fairly
Jul 31, 2007, 01:40 AM
They don't have to be apps. Or even features. There are lots of examples of the use of "com.apple" that have nothing to do with actual software applications.

captunderpant
Aug 1, 2007, 12:32 AM
i have a friend that has an iphone and would like to know this thaks a lot macrumors:):apple:

LizKat
Aug 1, 2007, 09:22 AM
... I'm starting to feel reluctant to click on my 'macrumors' bookmark because all I'm gonna be reading about is, as good as it might be, a bloody telephone.

Well, look. The iPhone is not really just a telephone. It's a functional demo of a major shift in the future of our potential for portable computing, telecom and entertainment. So it's newsworthy and will stay that way while a whole lot of businesses rejigger themselves and try to catch the wave.

The iPhone has clearly already become a major heads up notice to telecom and entertainment industries, plus related suppliers. Not to mention the Congress of the United States of America, many members of which are now scrambling out of a lot of corporate beds and trying to sound like they were never there to begin with.

Why is this? Because the iPhone has so many desirable features and --even as the fledgling it is-- it puts the current, very ugly state of anti-consumer telecommunications policy and practice in the USA into an extremely bright light. The average Joe and the average CIO are both looking at the iPhone and saying "Wait a minute. Why can't I get one of these things? Why can't I just flip my SIM card into the thing and roll on? Why I gotta live where one carrier dominates? Why I gotta think whose tower my call bounces off? WHO MADE THESE RULES UP ANYWAY?"

( sound of scurrying... could be rats leaving sinking ships... could be clerks typing drafts of new legislation... this time not written by the carriers? )

Of course, being a rural American I am laughing a little bit at all this outrage. I've been ranting for years about how come I can't get a signal in this 20-mile-long dead zone, what am I, a second class citizen, blah blah blah.

Well so I'm used to having to drive 20 or 30 miles to be able to use a cell phone. At least now with my iPhone along for the cruise, it's worth the drive. Plus I finally have a cellphone worth turning on when I'm someplace never heard of a cell tower. Like my kitchen. Gotta love that WiFi.