Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aciddan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2002
Australia
Guys,

I'm interested in your thoughts on why a G5 powerbook is not feasible in September. The reasons we know so far are:

- R&D/Development time (~6 months)
- Heat issues.
- Joz "not any time soon"

Now, being the sucker that I am (and intentionally lulling myself into a false sense of hope, given I now have two people now wanting to buy 17" pb's in September) :D , I want to ask your thougths on the following:

- R&D/Development on a G5 powerbook would have started way way before the public announcement of the G5. When would you believe R&D started and how long end-to-end would the process take?

I believe that pb research (ie miniturisation of components) would have started about the same time as desktop work - seeing as there is a good technique template (though different tech) in the form of the current G4s

- Heat issues, shouldn't be an issue with the current chips - they may not be the most energy efficient, but they're a darn site less warm than a P4-M (even desktop P4s are used in some laptops)

It's what? 48 Watts per processor in the 2 gig G5? How would 1.2 or 1.4s go in the heat stakes? (at current die size etc.)

- Joz "not any time soon" - did this mean: "not at WWDC" - whaich was indeed 'soon'. I think Apple Expo Paris is not so 'soon' that it rules it out...

Ok, I've had my dream session - feel free to shoot me down in flames :D

-- Dan :D
P.S. Heh, how about a Dual G4 17" making a showing at Paris :D :D :D

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
yeah, i agree that the G5 PB is already being developed now. i also remember reading specs about the 970. i remember that if it was running at 1-1.3GHz then the heat output wouldn't be too much to put it into a 15".

MacBidouille had a rumor just a couple of days ago that said the G5 PB's would be about 6 months away. this is because they had to wait for the next rev. of 970 chips that will be manufactured with a 90nm process. actually, it might not have been the 970, but the controller chip or something that is made with the 90nm process.

MacBidouille also said that when the G5 gets into PB's that they will start at speeds of 1.8 to 2GHz. should be sweet!! :D

when is MWSF? is that in the 1st quarter of 2004? that could be when the G5 PowerBooks are released. and IBM, unlike Scum-a-rola, will probably have the necessary components available in quantity by then.

i'm hoping for a Q1 of 2004 release for the new G5 PowerBooks! :D

SLJ

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2003
Australia
G5 powerbook... not likely until mid next year when the ibook G3 is majorly falling behind on the new application... beside, i dont see a mobile G5 processor that soon... the logic board or the main board need to re-arch becos it need to be compact... why bring out a 17' G5 PB when we can clearly see that the 17" PB is for HIGH END... who is going to folk out all that cash for a 17" G5 PB? I believe not many.... I still have not seen many ppl walking around with a 17" PB ... hehehehe the book is just too EXPENSIVE for an average user!

15" G5 PB and 12" G5 PB next year by June till September... my GUESS

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
Okay, if its taking this long to get a G4 PB out and the G5 towers out, no way in hell I'm waiting for a G5 PB.

filipp

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2003
Sweden
Remeber all those 9 fans sitting in the G5-box. They arent there just for the look of it. So I would guess that heat issue is quite an issue for g5-pb.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Originally posted by filipp
Remeber all those 9 fans sitting in the G5-box. They arent there just for the look of it. So I would guess that heat issue is quite an issue for g5-pb.

True, but also remember that part of the reason they went with so many fans is because a bunch of fans running slower is quieter than, say, one or two fans running really fast...

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
Originally posted by filipp

the heat is not as big a problem as people think it is. if the current 970's were running at 1.3-1.4GHz then they could probably put them in. and in 6 months when the new rev. of the 970 comes out on the 90nm process it should be a fair bit cooler, also with a smaller die size.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.