PDA

View Full Version : ibook cd boot password and os x question

grapes911
Jul 28, 2003, 07:59 PM
I just purchased a used ibook from ebay. I am very new to the mac world. Please help. To boot from a cd on my ibook, you have to press and hold "option" instead of "c". And then you need to type a password. I was given the password. I would like to change the password (or get rid of it altogether) and change the boot key back to "c". Anyone know how to do this?

Also,I have 10.0.3 and think I should upgrade. What does everyone else think? Stay with 10.0 or buy 10.1 or 10.2. Is it worth waiting for 10.3?

Thanks

zimv20
Jul 28, 2003, 08:57 PM
regarding option key vs. c key, i didn't know one _could_ change it. what happens when you hold down the 'c' key? (please be specific and detailed wrt what's on the screen)

also, what happens when you don't hold down anything and boot?

regarding your version of osx, my advice is to upgrade straightaway. you're running a version which is deemed by many to be nearly unusable.

Rezet
Jul 28, 2003, 08:59 PM
nah. why upgrade now when panther is around the corner?
I'd wait and get that.

Sorry, can't help you with boot up on ibook.

grapes911
Jul 28, 2003, 09:02 PM
If I hold the "c" key down nothing happens. If I hold the "option" key down, I am asked for a password (which I have) then I get to chose to boot from the cd or hd. If there is no cd in the try, I just get one chose of HD. If I don't press any key, the ibook boots fine. It's not a big problem. Rather, I just want to learn.

grapes911
Jul 28, 2003, 09:03 PM
Is there a set date for 10.3? I can't seem to find one. That's why i might just get 10.2.

Huked on Fonick
Jul 28, 2003, 09:58 PM
the password is a password applied to openfirmware thats why u have u hold option(u also wont be able to put ur ibook into firewire target disk mode, and you wont be able to press x to boot to x), do a serch on the web on how to reset the firmware... or pm me and i can find out for you.

Balin64
Jul 28, 2003, 11:41 PM
Welcome to Mac! I believe, as has been posted alread, that the formoer owner created an open firmware password: similar to a BIOS password in Windows. You can reset it manually by booting up into open firmware, but there is an easier way. Download the followinf from Apple Knowledge Base articles and follow the instructions:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=120095

Cheers!

grapes911
Jul 29, 2003, 12:04 PM
Thanks guys for the help, but another question. I followed that link, and it says for os x 10.1 or later. I only have 10.0.3. Will it work? Will I put my machine at risk if I try it?

GeeYouEye
Jul 29, 2003, 12:40 PM
First, get 10.0.4. Second, look on eBay for a 10.1 upgrade CD. They shouldn't be more than $20. Then you can use this utility.