PDA

View Full Version : :apple: BT Headset - Alternatives?

~J~
Jul 30, 2007, 11:37 PM
Ok, so I've had my :apple: BT headset for only a day now, but am I the only one that finds this thing annoying? Its actually rather painful if worn for more than an hour, and it doesn't stay in my ear - and I realize both things may be just me and my ear. But those are 2 qualities I want in a headset. So if I were to consider an alternative to the Apple headset, anyone have any recommendations? Thanks much,

e.n.d.
Jul 30, 2007, 11:44 PM
Jabra JX10

-small, light
-lasts longer
-removable earclip, but works well
-includes dock

Ok, so I've had my :apple: BT headset for only a day now, but am I the only one that finds this thing annoying? Its actually rather painful if worn for more than an hour, and it doesn't stay in my ear - and I realize both things may be just me and my ear. But those are 2 qualities I want in a headset. So if I were to consider an alternative to the Apple headset, anyone have any recommendations? Thanks much,

carman63
Jul 31, 2007, 05:03 AM
Jabra JX10

-small, light
-lasts longer
-removable earclip, but works well
-includes dock

2nd. I have one of these. The earclip bothers me on occasion, but otherwise it's great. Long battery life.

e.n.d.
Jul 31, 2007, 10:27 AM
I really like it. I used to get static when using it with my Blackjack; I even had to keep the phone on the same side of my body as the jabra to avoid it.

Now with the iPhone I don't have this problem... I guess the bluetooth signal is stronger or the antenna is better.

If you do get one, watch out for fakes on eBay...

~J~
Jul 31, 2007, 01:53 PM
I really like it. I used to get static when using it with my Blackjack; I even had to keep the phone on the same side of my body as the jabra to avoid it.

Now with the iPhone I don't have this problem... I guess the bluetooth signal is stronger or the antenna is better.

If you do get one, watch out for fakes on eBay...

I have to do the same thing with the :apple: headset... keep it on the same side of my body or I get static... what gives? $130 for a BT headset is fine, as long as it works... BT should go 33ft (10m) unobstructed... so my head is in the way.. but its only 2ft to my hip...

RaceTripper
Jul 31, 2007, 03:36 PM
I'm on my way to the Apple store to get a black Jawbone they are holding for me. I've been doing some research and this seem to be favored. Websites have gotten downright gushy all over this BT headset.

songa
Jul 31, 2007, 06:39 PM
its true..the new jawbone bluetooth headset is an amazing product. its noise cancelling features are some of the most advanced on the market now, and definitely one of the most favorite, as racebug has mentioned. you can learn more about it here:

http://www.accessorygeeks.com/jawbone-headset-red.html

they also have a really cool demonstration video of the jawbone at the bottom of the page...check that video out for a demo of the noise cancellation feature.

SteveM8
Aug 1, 2007, 12:13 PM
I bought the Apple BT set and returned it hours later. Hated the fit and the static. Liked the dock and design but I didnt buy it to look at it. It ept falling out and killed my ear after 30 minutes.

I bought the black Jawbone and it fit horribly as well! Felt like a huge mass hanging on the side of my head, loose. I tried to fit it with the accessories that were included but it just did not fit very well. Sound quality was decent but not any better than the apple (minus the static) - It just felt huge and loose. Back it went.

Went to best buy and bought the Jabra JX10 and it is 100% my fave. Super small, great design, sticks in the ear and stays, comfy and the signal is great. No static and the sound is good. Also tried it with my PS3 and it worked perfectly where the Jawbone and Apple would not.

For $129 I got the JX10, dock, car charger, usb charger and the earhook.

Best buy IMO.

Zandian
Aug 1, 2007, 12:19 PM
Ok, after a disappointing time with the Apple BT headset, and the tinny-digitized sounds I experienced with the Jawbone, I tried a couple other options. First, the problems I saw with the Apple were the very loud white noise/hissing in the background, lack of noise cancelling, and short range before unit starts crackling. I know some will say hissing is evident in all BT headsets, but the Apple background noise is quite loud and is very distracting to me. The Jawbone was a great unit in terms of filtering out outside noises, but I think this came at the expense of sound quality. it just sounded to digitized. I could have dealt with this, but I just didn't like the large device on my ear and I didn't much like the way the ear loop fit on my ear. These were just my impressions--I'm sure there are others who will say the opposite.

This morning I tested the Gennum NX6000 and the Sony/Ericcson HBH-IV835. From online reviews, I was expecting big things with the Gennum. I didn't know what to expect from the Sony.

Here are my thoughts:

Gennum:

1. Nice size, with the right ear canal tip, it fits quite snug and little chance of falling out. However, there is an ear loop you can put on it that secures it, but tends to pull it out of the canal a bit-so a little less seal and less noise, but safer feeling.

2. Range was very good--very little crackles when moving the phone from hand to hand, or when walking away from the phone. Very good distance.

3. Sound volume very loud and very clear. Though the unit does sit tight in the canal, so it feels like you have an ear plug in. Some may not like having no outside sound coming in from that ear.

4. I tested output sound by recording voicemails under various conditions. One was in a quite room. One was outside with traffic going by. The other was next to a loud fan blowing directly on the unit:

a. In a quiet room the mic recorded a clear steady voice. Sounded very good.
b. In a noisy outside, the traffic sounds were reduced a great deal, but the voice tended to fluctuate a bit in and out. But background was reduced quite a bit.
c. Next to a loud fan blowing on the unit, the unit did a good job blocking out the fan noise, but there was distinct wind blowing sounds-which was to be expected. It can only do so much. However, I was hoping that even though there was wind noise, the voice would sound a little clearer. The voice tended to fade in and out a bit, with a dropped sound here and there.

Overall I thought the unit fit, well, had great volume and great noise cancellation, but outgoing voice quality suffered a bit in the noisey situations.

Sony HBH-IV835:

1. Nice size, little weird feeling in the ear, but with the right adapter, did seem to have a pretty solid fit--surprisingly, because you can hear more outside noise when the unit is in the ear than the Gennum--it sounds like it is not in solid and that it might fall out, but seems to stay well. Downside is that it does not provide an alternate ear loop for those where the unit doesn't fit well by itself. Very sleek looking and not obtrusive.

2. Range wasn't too bad. Definitely better than the Apple BT, but it did tend to crackle once in a while when you walk away from the unit, and every once in awhile when shifting the phone around in your hand. Not too noticeable unless you are listening for it, but definitely more crackles than the Gennum.

3. Sound quality was excellent. Voice never wavered, even in loud situations. Voice output sounded very clear. Voice input was also very clear, but a little quieter than the Gennum--probably because the unit doesn't seal the ear canal quite as much. Though I think the volume can go as loud as most people would want it to. But there may be a few who think it could be louder.

4. a. In quiet surroundings the input and output sound quality was excellent, particularly if the unit is not too far from the phone. Moving it around causes a crackle here and there, but not too bad.
b. In loud outside surroundings, with traffic going by on the highway, the voice from the unit's mic could be heard very clear and without wavering; however, the background traffic could be heard distinctly. The unit didn't seem to cut down the noise at all--however the voice from the mic was constant and clear. Incoming sound was very clear and quite loud.
c. With a loud fan blowing directly on the unit, the unit didn't seem to block out the fan noise. It also didn't block out the wind blowing (which was expected). I was a bit disappointed that it didn't block out the noise very much, but I was very impressed in the quality of the voice that came through the mic. Although a loud background, the voice was distinct, didn't waver, and didn't cut out.

Overall, the fit of this unit might not be as universal for all people, but if it fits, it sits nicely. I like that it does allow in some sound. I was very impressed that despite all the loud surroundings my voice came through without cutouts, and without wavering. It didn't sound as digitized as the Gennum (or like the Jawbone which I've also tried). It sounded much more realistic and lifelike. I was disappointed with the noise cancellation and range could have been better, but overall voice quality was superior to Gennum, Apple BT, and Jawbone in my opinion.

Hope this helps people with other options.

Zandian