PDA

View Full Version : 24th!

britboy
Jul 29, 2003, 01:25 AM
The MacRumors f@h team reached another milestone last night, and in the process overtook team Germany. We are now at 800k points, and ranked 24th overall. Brilliant! This is just getting better and better all the time. Keep it up.

The only bad news is that it's probably going to be quite a while until we catch another team. Our best prospect seems to be Team Anandtech, and they're almost 150k points ahead of us. Slowly but surely, we'll get them though I'm sure :)

Way to go team.

pEZ
Jul 29, 2003, 10:54 AM
Can't wait to see if those G5's will help speed us up or not.....

Mr. Anderson
Jul 29, 2003, 10:57 AM
Great to see that! Think we'll ever get a 70k week?

As for the G5s, well, we might be waiting a bit for those. We've got at least a month before we start seeing them and the fact is that most of the big producers on our team don't use macs.

But any extra boost is welcome!

D

Vlade
Jul 29, 2003, 12:23 PM
Cool, I can't wait to add my new 2 PCs as soon as they are shipped to me, I should be able to get about 150 points a day :)

britboy
Jul 29, 2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
But any extra boost is welcome!

D

Very true. In fact, I just added another 2GHz P4 today. Again, it's only running during office hours, but i'm sure it'll help.

Now all i have to do is get all the computers running full-time :rolleyes:

mstecker
Jul 29, 2003, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by britboy
Very true. In fact, I just added another 2GHz P4 today. Again, it's only running during office hours, but i'm sure it'll help.

Now all i have to do is get all the computers running full-time :rolleyes:

Is it really in the spirit of the mac folding team to have PCs contributing to the effort? I don't know, just curious.

Rower_CPU
Jul 29, 2003, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by mstecker
Is it really in the spirit of the mac folding team to have PCs contributing to the effort? I don't know, just curious.

Well, we fold with what we have. We're not going to _not_ use machines we have access to. ;)

Capt Underpants
Jul 29, 2003, 01:55 PM

Without pc's, the MR team wouldn't be where it is now. Besides, future switchers (like me) use PC's. And when I get a mac, I will have that folding too.

britboy
Jul 29, 2003, 01:55 PM

If you ask any of the major contributors to f@h, you'll find that most of their points come from windows-based computers. I'm sure that if we all only used macs for folding, we'd have nowhere near the output we currently do. Whether it's in the spirit or not is, I think, immaterial. What matters is that we're getting the 'Mac' name up there amongst the top teams.

Of the 7 computers I have folding, only 1 is a mac.

BigJayhawk
Jul 29, 2003, 02:34 PM
Why not have PeeCees contribute to our folding@home? After all, though Systemically Challenged, aren't Windows Computers people too? heh! Since mine just sits on the desk in the corner (it's only 2 months old but the IT dept. thought it good to spend the $600!?) while I complete the real work on my personal Powerbook, i have to justify its existence.

My PeeCee is now doing its share of "saving the world" for the MacRumors team. I'm getting close to cracking the top 100 on the team (with help from my Mac Cube at home).

WinterMute
Jul 29, 2003, 06:01 PM
Excellent news all round.

I'm still trying to persuade the audio techs to install folding on the mac lab we control, it might happen next week... The video and digital arts techs are a bit sceptical, plus they rip the labs apart over the break to upgrade and re-install, still, I'll keep trying.

There's another old G4 in the office that needs a network connection and then it's arse is mine, all mine.... bwahahahahahahah:D

Powerbook G5
Jul 29, 2003, 06:30 PM
I'd love to fold, but the last time I checked the website, I have to have OS X to fold, which leaves me out. I tried running OS X 10.0 that I got back in 2000 on my Powerbook but it just doesn't have the power to make it run well enough. I've thought of trying out Jag, but currently I don't see justifying $130 when I am planning on buying a new Powerbook as soon as they are out, which will have Jag on it. I can't wait, though. Once I get my new Powerbook, folding will be one of the first things I set it up for once I get it connected to the net.

bertinman
Jul 29, 2003, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
I'd love to fold, but the last time I checked the website, I have to have OS X to fold, which leaves me out. I tried running OS X 10.0 that I got back in 2000 on my Powerbook but it just doesn't have the power to make it run well enough. I've thought of trying out Jag, but currently I don't see justifying $130 when I am planning on buying a new Powerbook as soon as they are out, which will have Jag on it. I can't wait, though. Once I get my new Powerbook, folding will be one of the first things I set it up for once I get it connected to the net.

yeah, too bad 10.0 wasn't very good for the older machines. 10.3 is a real winner. My 350 G3 is just as fast as my 1G PB running 10.2 in most things (mail, text scrolling, window moving...).

Powerbook G5
Jul 29, 2003, 06:53 PM
I've had thoughts of stealing my girlfriend's 10.2 disc since she got a new FP iMac last year. Damn my conscious! But soon....soon I will be on OS X 10.3 on a new AlBook and folding with the best of them! Mwahaha!

BigJayhawk
Jul 29, 2003, 06:57 PM
I get the point that you are making regarding the speed improvement in the OS X updates. HOWEVER, you have got to be kidding a bit!

Honestly, just how "comparable" are the two with different speeds and different OS X versions? I've not had the opportunity to try 10.3 but if what you are saying is ANYWHERE NEAR TRUE then there should be no question about whether Panther will be worth the $130! If you buy a brand new computer every 2 years or so you are lucky to get this kind of speed increase. If the speed on the older machines improves this dramatically then BLESS YOU STEVE!!!

Powerbook G5
Jul 29, 2003, 07:02 PM
Perhaps they will reintroduce the Apple ][ now for OS X 10.3 ;-) "Nearly as fast as the latest Motorola G4, but without the heat and supply issues!"

MrMacMan
Jul 29, 2003, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by WinterMute
There's another old G4 in the office that needs a network connection and then it's arse is mine, all mine.... bwahahahahahahah:D

Woo, don't get power hungry.

:p

Haha and 10.3 still isn't worth $129 that they are gonna charge for it.

Keep it up guys, keep folding well!
:)

On a bad note: Ni! is gaining on us again, very very very slowly but still...

Stelliform
Jul 29, 2003, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by britboy

Of the 7 computers I have folding, only 1 is a mac.

And since your PC's are folding, you now have 8 machines that are good for something instead of one. ;)

G4scott
Jul 29, 2003, 10:33 PM
I see this whole PC folding thing like this:

Even though they are pitiful machines made by the lord of darkness themselves, folding for team MacRumors works out as some sort of redemption, saving them from something of some sort, although I don't quite know what it is yet...

Unfortunately, I have to take my dual 1ghz G4 off of folding, because I'll be in college, and the thing does actually slow down the computer for games, and really processor intensive stuff...

As for my 12" PowerBook, I usually leave folding off because the things fan turns on and bothers me during the night... And it also slows the computer down considerably.

I will try to get my roommate to fold for Mac Rumors (on his PC, though...)

britboy
Jul 30, 2003, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by Stelliform
And since your PC's are folding, you now have 8 machines that are good for something instead of one. ;)

Well.....I had considered using them as paperweights, but this seemed like a marginally better way to make it worthwhile having to use them constantly ;)

MrMacMan
Jul 30, 2003, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by G4scott
I see this whole PC folding thing like this:

Even though they are pitiful machines made by the lord of darkness themselves, folding for team MacRumors works out as some sort of redemption, saving them from something of some sort, although I don't quite know what it is yet...

Unfortunately, I have to take my dual 1ghz G4 off of folding, because I'll be in college, and the thing does actually slow down the computer for games, and really processor intensive stuff...

As for my 12" PowerBook, I usually leave folding off because the things fan turns on and bothers me during the night... And it also slows the computer down considerably.

I will try to get my roommate to fold for Mac Rumors (on his PC, though...)

Hey, just turn it on folding when you are sleeping, a couple of people here do that, at like 2-3 they set it up to launch folding

:)

Once you need photo, games, etc turn it off.

bertinman
Jul 30, 2003, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by BigJayhawk
I get the point that you are making regarding the speed improvement in the OS X updates. HOWEVER, you have got to be kidding a bit!

Honestly, just how "comparable" are the two with different speeds and different OS X versions? I've not had the opportunity to try 10.3 but if what you are saying is ANYWHERE NEAR TRUE then there should be no question about whether Panther will be worth the $130! If you buy a brand new computer every 2 years or so you are lucky to get this kind of speed increase. If the speed on the older machines improves this dramatically then BLESS YOU STEVE!!!

of course i was exagerating a little.

but not much when it comes to usability. The video is much slower (no cube rotation for rage cards) but the over all snappiness of windows and applications loading is close enough that I don't care. I'm almost tempted to not get a g5 and get a used g4 and run panther on it--save a grand or two.

but then again I want to fold faster too :)

BigJayhawk
Jul 30, 2003, 03:26 PM
That's good to hear. Don't get me wrong -- my Mac Cube is still plenty fast. However, knowing that the OS is just getting faster assures a renewed length of life for my Mac Cube.

And yes MrPCMan (I mean MrMacMan), Steve Jobs has my $130 and it is worth every penny -- ESPECIALLY considering what they get for Windows upgrades these days!

Cuckoo
Jul 30, 2003, 03:54 PM
Although my server is a wintel, although it isn't fast, it's always on, so i've set it to fold.

I hope that i did the teamsettings right, and let's see....

MrMacMan
Jul 30, 2003, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by BigJayhawk
And yes MrPCMan (I mean MrMacMan), Steve Jobs has my $130 and it is worth every penny -- ESPECIALLY considering what they get for Windows upgrades these days!

hey hey hey, it *should* be alot less, according to apples own schedule this upgrade should be free, if not alot less expensive then 10.2...

And don't make fun of my name, I didn't make fun of yours.