Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

froggone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
Hi guys,

I have been using my canon ixus to record short video clips of boat trips and holiday moments like bungy jumping. I now want to progress to a video camera to be able to transfer to edit in imovie and transfer to DVD.

I have been searching the forums and came across recommendations for Canon Elura 100 and Panasonic GS250, GS300 and GS320, but I cannot find these mentioned anywhere in Australian websites. Are these named differently down under?

I basically want a MiniDV camera under $500 with firewire, good for indoor use, has a good internal microphone or ability to connect and with the option to use as a webcam.

From other posts I am happy to stick with Sony, Canon or Panasonic.

I know I am asking for a lot considering my price range, but I am hoping there is a video camera out there that meets my needs.

I know nothing about specs for video cameras so any recommendations for cameras available in Australia would be great!

thanks!

mac's my homie

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2006
South Carolina
I have no idea what's available in Australia. But for some reason if what you need isn't available, I would think that some American companies would ship there. For the price you're looking for you might want to check out something used on e-bay or the like. But be extremely skeptical, especially for someone willing to ship overseas. If you have an American friend who could look around here (USA) and then ship it to you, that would be good.
I know it's not much help, but maybe it will give you some ideas?

froggone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
I was looking at buying on ebay australia but would prefer buying something new with warranty, peace of mind etc. I think all the brands and models available in America are available down here except they have changed the model numbers!

I checked out a panasonic 3ccd camera which seemed like it was great in low light conditions compared to the other 1ccd models they had on display.

Are there any aussies that know a bit more about cameras that me?!

thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.