PDA

View Full Version : Palm sync with OSX

fjs08
Jul 29, 2003, 04:50 AM
Hi,

Do all of the Palm OS PDA's sync easily with OSX, or just the Palm brand, Palm OS machines. My Compaq ipaq is on the fritz and I may be forced to buy another PDA. I know that Windows OS PDA's don't sync easily with Mac's OSX.

Thanks.

Frank

Sol
Jul 29, 2003, 06:32 AM
While there are utilities available on VersionTracker that will allow you to sync iPaqs with OS X, all Palm PDAs are officially supported by iSync on OS X. I use a discontinued model Palm m105 connected to my PowerMac through a Serial-to-USB adaptor and the two work well together.

If you are looking to buy a new PDA now seems to be the ideal time. The latest Palm offerings have great features like high-res colour screens, Palm OS 5, built-in cameras, card slots, BlueTooth, etc and the prices compare very well with anything the competition is offering.

fjs08
Jul 29, 2003, 06:47 AM
Sol,

>>The latest Palm offerings have great features<<

They are impressive. I've had the ipac for almost 2 yrs now. Funny, but I find that I never use ALL those features. I use the basics and that is it, but some of that is the quirkiness of a Windows OS. My partner got me into these. He let me use his really old Palm when he bought a new one. I had it up and running in literally 5 minutes. When I bought the ipac, it took a day to get all of the Windows stuff to work right.

Is there any reason to go for the newer OS in Palm. I've been looking at the m515 vs the Zire 71. Almost the same price, but the Zire seems to have a newer OS and a few more goodies I'd like to try.

Thanks.

Frank

Sol
Jul 29, 2003, 07:59 AM
The new Palm OS supports all those fast processors and high-res screens that the Zire and Tungsten lines use, as well as all the latest applications which require Palm OS 5.

The only reason I bought an m105 was that I still had a keyboard, Serial-to-USB adaptor and leather wallet from my last Palm (an m100). The m515 is a good PDA but a Zire model would be easier to replace if it ever gets broken.

xjohn
Jul 29, 2003, 09:17 AM
Is it possible to read and edit text files on a palm?

If so, how are they copied over? (Is it similar to the iPod, where the device acts as a hard drive?)