PDA

View Full Version : Airport Extreme Update 2007-004

MacRumors
Jul 31, 2007, 02:50 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/07/31/airport-extreme-update-2007-004/)

Apple has posted an update (http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/airportextremeupdate2007004.html) to Aiport Extreme. This update is recommended for all Intel-based MacBook, MacBook Pro, and Mac mini computers and improves the reliability of AirPort connections.

The 745KB download is available (http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/airportextremeupdate2007004.html) at Apple's site or through your Mac OS X Software Update.

Requirements include:

- Mac OS X 10.4.10
- MacBook Pro or MacBook or Intel-based Mac mini

Article Link: Airport Extreme Update 2007-004 (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/07/31/airport-extreme-update-2007-004/)

L3X
Jul 31, 2007, 02:54 PM
nice, this should fix the problems people have been having...

Voidness
Jul 31, 2007, 02:54 PM
Updated half an hour ago. No problems so far, but I didn't have any issues in the first place.

MacBook Pro 1.83 GHz.

macjonny1
Jul 31, 2007, 02:55 PM
OT a bit but does anyone have an idea of apple releasing an updated airport express with wirelss N?

GrueHunter
Jul 31, 2007, 02:56 PM
Everything seems to be working! Always nice when the update doesn't break anything :)

thejadedmonkey
Jul 31, 2007, 02:56 PM
I had a problem today where network speeds were at 1.5kbs on WLAN.. I've never had this problem before, but hopefully this fixes the issue.;)

pieman02
Jul 31, 2007, 02:57 PM
wonder if this will fix the annoying disconnect randomly on airport :)

MLeepson
Jul 31, 2007, 02:57 PM
MacBook Pro or MacBook or Intel-based Mac mini

Aha! iMac isn't included because it'll have the support...when it comes out next week.

(no comment about Mac Pro :p )

devilot
Jul 31, 2007, 02:58 PM
This update is recommended for all Intel-based MacBook, MacBook Pro, and Mac mini computers and improves the reliability of AirPort connections.Geeze, slightly vague. I'm hoping this will fix the wifi drop offs I've been experiencing since updating to 10.4.10. :o

bhjs1
Jul 31, 2007, 03:00 PM
seems alright to me:apple:

kainjow
Jul 31, 2007, 03:05 PM

Geeze, slightly vague. I'm hoping this will fix the wifi drop offs I've been experiencing since updating to 10.4.10. :o

Have you guys been seeing AirPort actually disconnect (and go grayed out), or just an Internet connection drop? I am seeing my Internet drop out several times a day, but AirPort is always connected and good. So I am not sure if my problem is AirPort or ISP related :confused:

lazyrighteye
Jul 31, 2007, 03:05 PM
Aha! iMac isn't included because it'll have the support...when it comes out next week.

Hehe. Nice call!

devilot
Jul 31, 2007, 03:07 PM
Have you guys been seeing AirPort actually disconnect (and go grayed out), or just an Internet connection drop?I'll be typing away (IM/ MR/ other sites/ email) when all of a sudden everything screeches to a halt.

Look up.

Sure enough, the wifi network get's grayed out, de-selected. I have to reselect the network, not a HUGE ordeal, but obnoxious when it happens more than once every few hours. :o

chrisgeleven
Jul 31, 2007, 03:09 PM
Have you guys been seeing AirPort actually disconnect (and go grayed out), or just an Internet connection drop? I am seeing my Internet drop out several times a day, but AirPort is always connected and good. So I am not sure if my problem is AirPort or ISP related :confused:

Internet connection drop for me (OS X still thinks it is connected).

I will run this update when I get home and see if it fixes the issue.

syklee26
Jul 31, 2007, 03:09 PM

i knew this was an airport station problem and not the airport card problem. the internet dropoff occurs only when you are using the Airport Extreme Station. I was getting so pissed to the point of getting rid of MBP. Hopefully this will fix the problem.

Dwight Schrute
Jul 31, 2007, 03:10 PM
OT a bit but does anyone have an idea of apple releasing an updated airport express with wirelss N?

Yeah, it's called AppleTV. ;)

mick4394
Jul 31, 2007, 03:17 PM
Figures. Right after I sell my Macbook, the update comes out.

Yankees 4 Life
Jul 31, 2007, 03:17 PM
i can see our negative friends are in today

williedigital
Jul 31, 2007, 03:21 PM
Yeah, it's called AppleTV. ;)

But it doesn't have either of the three main functions of express...

1. wireless network extender (is this even possible with N networks?)
2. printer networking
3. accepting "pushed" music

twoodcc
Jul 31, 2007, 03:22 PM
sounds good. i'll update shortly ;)

notsofatjames
Jul 31, 2007, 03:23 PM
I'll be typing away (IM/ MR/ other sites/ email) when all of a sudden everything screeches to a halt.

Look up.

Sure enough, the wifi network get's grayed out, de-selected. I have to reselect the network, not a HUGE ordeal, but obnoxious when it happens more than once every few hours. :o

same here, but it hasnt been happening since ive updated. Though it hasnt happened a lot recently. I think it was my router.

Snide
Jul 31, 2007, 03:23 PM
This didn't show up in Software Update on my Core 2 Duo Macbook,
and wouldn't install when I downloaded it from the Apple site (link above).
Since I was suffering the dreaded kernel panics and non-loading web-pages,
I previously applied the fix described in the Apple Discussions Macbook forum (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1017323&tstart=0).

Eidorian
Jul 31, 2007, 03:26 PM
Not much more then the same ol'.

joshwest
Jul 31, 2007, 03:30 PM
i cant get my airport disk to mount to my Mac Pro maybe this will help

RoadKill
Jul 31, 2007, 03:31 PM
hasn't stopped my random reboots or kernel panics that only started with 10.4.10 also my system.log still gets filled up with:

AppleYukon: 00000000,00000000 skqueue - SkEventDispatcher - ignoring event queue, hardware is not responding

which I believe is more to do with the ethernet card in my Macbook. When I'm at work at plugged into the ethernet I don't get the random reboots or kernel panics so am hoping for 10.4.11 or patiently waiting for 10.5.0 :-)

JC4
Jul 31, 2007, 03:33 PM
The update forgot my AP's SSID and WPA password on reboot. Seems just as buggy as ever. :)

moez
Jul 31, 2007, 03:52 PM
had to problems before so I guess ill just wait... if it aint broke why fix it.... right?

mike dunx
Jul 31, 2007, 04:05 PM

yeah that was really annoying. hopefully this will fix it.

MagicWok
Jul 31, 2007, 04:22 PM

LOL - I like your style. Seriously, it seems innocuous but a nice catch :D

danielwsmithee
Jul 31, 2007, 04:23 PM
This update fixed the annoying problems I was seeing with my airport switching between networks. Whenever I woke from sleep I would have to select the my network again, where before it was always automatic. Then put my MacBook to sleep and wake it to get it to actually connect and pull an IP. Now no problem, open the lid and I'm back up and running.

speg
Jul 31, 2007, 04:27 PM
Boo, still didn't fix my Macbook. Ever since 10.4.9 I have been unable to connect to WEP or WPA protected networks :( So I've had to run my network without protection for... 4-5 months now? Grrr...

I've tried multiple routers, same problem. Works fine if I boot camp to XP though... :confused:

acslater017
Jul 31, 2007, 04:41 PM
*fond sigh* :cool:

this is, in my opinion, one of the reasons i love OS X. the OS is not perfect, but when Apple hears people complain about a certain function, it eventually ends up in these easy-to-download patches. Either in stand alone downloads, or as 10.4.x upgrades...

...rather than massive service packs every three years :rolleyes:

an under-appreciated feature of the Mac platform, i think.

MBHockey
Jul 31, 2007, 04:49 PM
Haha, i just installed that fix floating around for the 10.4.10 wifi issues two days ago for my brother...but it's good this came out. I'm guessing it will address it.

iNeko
Jul 31, 2007, 06:17 PM
:( gee, my mini still drops wireless connection (then errors when trying to reconnect) Macbook Pro however, is fine as always :confused:

Romanesq
Jul 31, 2007, 06:33 PM
:( gee, my mini still drops wireless connection (then errors when trying to reconnect) Macbook Pro however, is fine as always :confused:

As much as I love the intel mac mini as a music server (with its optical audio out) I think its doomed to be tethered by ethernet wire. Mine is connected ironically one foot away to an extended Apple Airport Express.

It always keeps the connection that way. But unplug that one foot of Ethernet and kiss the connection goodbye.

I'm hoping that Leopard can save the mac mini from the ethernet tether. :cool:

One day....

iNeko
Jul 31, 2007, 06:38 PM
As much as I love the intel mac mini as a music server (with its optical audio out) I think its doomed to be tethered by ethernet wire. Mine is connected ironically one foot away to an extended Apple Airport Express.

It always keeps the connection that way. But unplug that one foot of Ethernet and kiss the connection goodbye.

I'm hoping that Leopard can save the mac mini from the ethernet tether. :cool:

One day....

:rolleyes: my router is on the floor below, so wireless is the only way for me - it's working now, but in 5 minutes the airport status icon will be grey... Maybe I'll get a drill and 100ft of ethernet cable and hope that will solve my problems (or knowing my luck, make more...)

:( I hoped this update would fix it - however it hasn't.

oaftobar
Jul 31, 2007, 06:39 PM
imho that I just installed the update at lunchtime. My computer has not kernel panicked since then. Also I noticed that my airport pie thingy up the top of my screen has been solid as well. Life is good http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

volfreak
Jul 31, 2007, 06:52 PM
LOL - I like your style. Seriously, it seems innocuous but a nice catch :D

Seems, according to MacWorld (http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/07/31/presentation/index.php), there's a special Apple event focused on the Mac next week.... Hmmm <strokes beard> :cool:

Bilal
Jul 31, 2007, 07:06 PM
I installed the update and am about to restart. I hope this fixes the issues I've had with my computer randomly disconnecting.

neutrino23
Jul 31, 2007, 07:30 PM
When I checked the software update feature it found two items, the Airport Extreme update and also "Security Update 2007-7 26.6MB". Did I miss something? When did we get another security update?

tschull
Jul 31, 2007, 08:37 PM
With all the rumors of its impending demise, I choose to interpret any attention toward it on Apple's part to be a good sign that it's not dead yet...

... but it feels like going out for a walk (sorry -couldn't help the Monty Python reference).

jtrwallace
Jul 31, 2007, 08:45 PM
before I had no problems at all with my AEBS and AXBS and my latest MBP... the airport always showed full bars. Now it shows full bars for a few minutes then drops down to only two for a few minutes and back up to full. ??? This is the first time an update has gone awry for me... I'm sad.

toddbee
Jul 31, 2007, 08:54 PM
yep caused my wifi to disconnect. probably not a good update

uraniumwilly
Jul 31, 2007, 09:05 PM
If this fixes the disconnects I've been experiencing with my new MBP I'll have to toss out all of my elegantly postulated theories of crafty neighbors hack hack hacking away at my golden jewel of a fine wireless data network!

MBHockey
Jul 31, 2007, 09:09 PM
Yeah, was running fine for two weeks. Literally as I was reading this thread, my airport just disconnected from the router (went gray)...my network was still up, and upon first connection attempt (manually) it gave me some error and then i did it again and it connected....weird.

shadowfax
Jul 31, 2007, 09:44 PM
man, that's some fishy stuff--the fix not helping some users, and then there's me--I have a Pre-SR C2D MacBook Pro with 10.4.10, and it says I don't meet the requirements, and won't install. that's pretty gimpy.... I used to be having problems, but it stopped after I reverted to the 10.4.9 airport drivers and reapplied the 2007-003 update. Maybe that's my problem...

toddbee
Jul 31, 2007, 09:55 PM
yup this update keeps dropping wifi connection. this sucks. i hope they fix this soon. i have never had this problem.

macrev
Jul 31, 2007, 10:02 PM
I updated, and I am at 3 bars now, rather than the 4 before I updated...

sanzaborn33
Jul 31, 2007, 10:20 PM
This might not be an option for (probably most people) some of you, but for me, I backed all my stuff up and simply reinstalled 10.4.9. I have had no problems working on 3 different wireless routers ALL using WPA2 encryption.

My Blackbook was having random KP's and disconnects when I was using 10.4.10 v.1.1 and connecting to the aforementioned wireless access points.

quovadis
Jul 31, 2007, 10:22 PM
Have had no problems with Airport and Airport Extreme either before or after all the latest updates
On a typical day I connect to at least 3 different wifi networks ...:D

Tastannin
Jul 31, 2007, 11:42 PM
Update seems to have fixed things with the kernel panics on my MBP. Have yet to update the wife's MacBook to see if it fixes the random disconnects.

However, I noticed that my MBP is pegging the cpu at 80-90% (Both cores), trying to double as a space heater, so I opened Activity Monitor, and I see that a process called "airport" is hogging about 80-90% of cpu. Criminy folks! Haven't tried killing that yet. Anyone see the same behavior after applying the update?

BrownManUPS
Aug 1, 2007, 01:28 AM
No drops here. It's pretty sweet.

benderbends
Aug 1, 2007, 01:37 AM
is airport extreme updates for the router or the airport card?

Update seems to have fixed things with the kernel panics on my MBP.

have you had actual kernal panics? or just the system locks up with fraky mouse behavior?

i am told that my problem of the system locking up is due to the MBP not being able to surf on "mixed" G and N networks. It can handle fine on a single network, or a mix of B and G, but soon as you add the N to the mix...it goes ape dung.....

anyone know if this update fixes it?

Barabas
Aug 1, 2007, 02:17 AM

I'm really looking forward to that one as well.

ATG
Aug 1, 2007, 02:29 AM

That makes no sense. There are already millions of iMac owners who would need this update. Even if a new iMac was coming out, that doesn't mean all the users will disappear

Kaptajn Haddock
Aug 1, 2007, 02:35 AM

Yep, the Airport always seems at full signal, but the connection is dropped anyway. Is dropped for about a minute and then gets back. Never experienced that before with my PowerBook G4 on the same Airport Extreme (2007).

Smurfed
Aug 1, 2007, 03:12 AM
To the people who downloaded this update when they didn't have problems before and now have problems due to this update: why did you download it?

IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT.

toddbee
Aug 1, 2007, 04:10 AM
had to download it.

Hawkeye411
Aug 1, 2007, 07:46 AM
Finally!!! My connection is stable and download speeds are quicker. WOOO HOOOOOO :apple: :)

Amdahl
Aug 1, 2007, 08:32 AM
On c2d macbook, still getting 100% airport on bootup. I kill the process.

Guess 10.4.11 is going to fix it?

lkraven
Aug 1, 2007, 10:59 AM
On c2d macbook, still getting 100% airport on bootup. I kill the process.

Guess 10.4.11 is going to fix it?

No need to do that. Click on the Airport icon up in the menu bar, turn off the Airport, then turn it back on.

cleanup
Aug 2, 2007, 06:15 AM
Yeah. Me had BlackBook, 10.4.10, random disconnects, kernal panics.. had to archive and install to 10.4.9 to get rid of them... now it's all peachy-keen.

Despite the update, some people still seem to be having problems, so I'm gonna steer clear of this one. Maybe 10.4.11 will fix everything, but for now, 10.4.9 seems to be the only version that's at least 99% solid for me.

Bilal
Aug 2, 2007, 01:07 PM
Mine still disconnects :mad: I'm a recent switcher as well and my HP laptop doesn't even do this.

Jim Campbell
Aug 2, 2007, 03:06 PM
Despite the update, some people still seem to be having problems, so I'm gonna steer clear of this one.

I have to say ... internet connection via Airport is better but still pants, with pages timing out about 25-33% of the time, instead of the previous 50-75%.

Bah.

Jim

greyhouse
Aug 8, 2007, 09:51 AM
I am pretty confident that this update killed my wireless connection. I am getting random disconnects and it happened right after this update (2007-004 Airport update). I had no problems with wireless prior to this -- zero disconnects.

Now, I am getting disconnects even when I am a few feet from my router. The following errors come up in my system log:

Aug 8 10:25:01 gmbp launchd: Server 0 in bootstrap 1103 uid 0: "/usr/sbin/lookupd"[13527]: exited abnormally: Hangup
Aug 8 10:25:01 gmbp configd[36]: posting notification com.apple.system.config.network_change
Aug 8 10:25:01 gmbp lookupd[13713]: lookupd (version 369.6) starting - Wed Aug 8 10:25:01 2007
Aug 8 10:25:05 gmbp configd[36]: posting notification com.apple.system.config.network_change
Aug 8 10:25:05 gmbp lookupd[13717]: lookupd (version 369.6) starting - Wed Aug 8 10:25:05 2007

rosh325
Aug 8, 2007, 11:50 AM
I too had a perfect connection, only to mess things up with this update. I know some are saying "Why update if it ain't broke", and I agree, but I guess I'm coming from a windows background of "every update is important to fix this or close up that". My MBP is right next to my router but only shows 3 bars, whereas it used to show 4 from anywhere in the apartment. Also it struggles just to open up pages. A wired connection does just fine. Is there anyway to uninstall or revert? Should I contact apple? Thanks for the help

chriswheat
Aug 8, 2007, 11:57 AM
I My MBP is right next to my router but only shows 3 bars, whereas it used to show 4 from anywhere in the apartment.

That could be your problem right there. Try moving your MBP away from the router. The close proximity of the transmitting and receiving antennas is likely causing a problem.

Of course, if you move more than 10 feet away and it doesn't increase (or worse, it goes down) you should absolutely contact Apple.

jhero
Aug 8, 2007, 09:21 PM
On mine, it drops by only 1 bar from full but I can really feel like my internet went from 5mbps to like 500kbps...

Any workarounds?

transcendent
Aug 9, 2007, 01:24 AM
So far, this has definitely solved connectivity issues with low-signal networks on my 17MBP. No problems.

Thi
Aug 9, 2007, 09:45 PM
I never had a problem with airport and now after the update my connection drops.

rosh325
Aug 10, 2007, 08:17 PM
To update my previous post from 8/8, moving my laptop away from the router did not help my situation. My connection is certainly less stable in terms of flip flopping from 3 to 4 bars and slow speed. I can move this to another forum if needed. I guess I can go to a genius bar if necessary

rosh325
Aug 11, 2007, 03:57 PM
Just got back from Genius bar. Of course, fate would dictate that it would work perfectly while I was there. The genius recommended that I send my computer/router specs to apple engineers via the MBP feedback link. He said maybe it's just something about certain linksys routers. Of course the only other option is to do an archive install and just avoid this update....bleh

Manic Mouse
Aug 13, 2007, 08:04 AM
My wireless seems to be a little flaky after the update, when is 10.4.11 due? It was seeded to developers a while ago...

ltwalrus
Aug 20, 2007, 08:15 PM
I have never had any issues with airport and as someone stated earlier, I am always under the impression that all updates are good updates. Unfortunately, ever since installing this version, I have had nothing but disconnects. I can't keep my internet running for more than 5 minutes before dropping. My other computers in the house on the same wireless connection (and my game systems) *never* drop connection.

Is there a way to revert back to an old version? Or do I have to wipe the system and start over again?

rosh325
Aug 23, 2007, 05:11 PM
Even after my archive and install, and avoiding this update, my network utility shows 403 recv errors! And that's for one day, within 5-10 feet of the router.

skysnare
Aug 24, 2007, 01:59 PM
I applied this update on my intel MacBook Pro when it first came out and my wireless connection stopped working completely on Mac OS X (it works fine in bootcamp). Just hangs. I get a connection to the router, but it won't go to the internet. Was on the phone with Apple and we tried everything. They suggested I contact linksys and they tried everything. Since Apple would not support "third-party" routers, I even bought an Airport Base station... Same problem... I visited the Apple store and talked to one of the Mac "Geniuses". He tried everything, still nada... He suggested I do an archive install (back to 10.4.8 in my case). I did that and it worked fine for a while until I re-applied this update. When I did, I was back to square one.... So, now I'm back running fine with all updates applied except this one which I won't apply; I will wait for the next airport update, but I will back up my system first befor applying... I would stay far away from this one... :-(