PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection Client 2.0 (Beta)

MacRumors
Jul 31, 2007, 02:59 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Microsoft has released (http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads.aspx?pid=download&location=/mac/download/MISC/RDC2.0_Public_Beta_download.xml&secid=80&ssid=11&flgnosysreq=True) version 2.0 (Beta) of their Remote Desktop Connection Client for Mac.

Remote Desktop Connection Client lets you connect to a Microsoft Windows-based computer and work with programs and files on that computer from your Macintosh computer.

New features include:

- Universal Binary
- Provides better compatibility with Windows Vista, improved security features, and many other improvements.
- Multiple Sessions
- Improved User Experience
- Dynamic Screen Resizing
- Improved Printing Support

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/07/31/microsoft-remote-desktop-connection-client-2-0-beta/)

balamw
Jul 31, 2007, 03:01 PM
For anyone who has already downloaded it.

How does it compare with CoRD? http://cord.sourceforge.net/

B

Eidorian
Jul 31, 2007, 03:11 PM
Can't wait to deploy the final version. :cool:

Why is it a .pkg though?

Westside guy
Jul 31, 2007, 03:13 PM
Interesting - I wonder why it needs an installer?

Sky Blue
Jul 31, 2007, 03:14 PM
Yay! Multiple sessions!

gauchogolfer
Jul 31, 2007, 03:14 PM

B

Thanks for the CoRD link, B. I've just started connecting to my work machine via VPN, and haven't yet done it from my Powerbook. I downloaded the older Windows RDC for Mac this weekend, but I'll probably give the beta a try as well. I'll report back with my impressions if someone more knowledgeable doesn't beat me to it.

markfc
Jul 31, 2007, 03:21 PM
Ha Ha the Printing support for mac is better than the windows version!!!

twoodcc
Jul 31, 2007, 03:23 PM
seems nice. glad to see Universal Binary

Eidorian
Jul 31, 2007, 03:24 PM
Yay! Multiple sessions!Not that running multiple instances before didn't work...

mwxiao
Jul 31, 2007, 03:30 PM

B

I've been using CoRD. But I think I'll give RDC a try. CoRD doesn't have the feature of file transfer.

Doctor Q
Jul 31, 2007, 03:32 PM
A quick check shows that it's a small download, a quick install, and it works as easily as version 1 did. So far so good.

mkrishnan
It is strange that it uses a pkg... but I guess it's better than coming in a Stuffit file. :rolleyes:

I'm curious to try it out. The current release is great as-is, but a few of the things do sound like they'd be nice. Particularly if MRDC and Exposé cooperated better? (i.e. full screen apps and Exposé's show all windows mode).

EDIT: Update, it did indeed do this. Nicely, I might add.:)

I don't know if it's wise to or not, but if anyone is installing this while Office 04 is installed and they want to overwrite their copy of MRDC, which seems harmless, they should point the installer to this folder:

/Applications/Microsoft Office 2004/Additional Tools/Remote Desktop Connection

When asked to choose where to install, as this installation just drops in the single app bundle (and no folder).

It's very nice that it can render out a screen resolution to a window (so, e.g., if you go from full screen to windowed, you get a window with a reduced-size version of the fullscreen resolution). It does a nice job of this. :)

It has some other really nice little features:

- It lets you know only give the host computer access to the client's home directory and not the whole drive (which I don't think is in the Windows version yet). Although, oddly, it still seems to let a non-admin user give the client at least read access to the whole HD without needing to escalate privileges. If they fix this and respect local permissions, this would be a great security feature.

- Much better keymapping

- Adds the auto-reconnect feature that Windows has

- Adds the ability to send the RDC by default to full-screen on a display of your choice, if you have more than one display.

All in all, outstanding. I thought RDC 1.x was far better than CoRD; this is a substantial leap in turn over RDC 1.x! :)

P.S. I think the trend of just replacing actual releases of software with never-ending public betas is becoming tiresome (cough, GMail, cough)

theBB
Interesting - I wonder why it needs an installer?
1.0 was a drag and drop. However, it required Stuffit to decompress. I hope they don't any more.

It is good to see Microsoft actually doing some development for Mac, but even the PPC version is working fine on my intel, so it is not all that exciting.

grabberslasher
Jul 31, 2007, 03:34 PM
Anyone notice that it's now a Cocoa app? It's a total rewrite, not just an update. :)

mkrishnan
Jul 31, 2007, 03:36 PM
Anyone notice that it's now a Cocoa app? It's a total rewrite, not just an update. :)

Does that mean anything interesting for this type of app in terms of functionality? Or is it just a peek at things to come? Cocoa Office? :) :)

edenwaith
Jul 31, 2007, 03:42 PM
Very nice. I saw on the MacMojo blog that RDC 2 was coming out this week. I'm downloading it right now. I use RDC on a daily basis, and it is my favorite Microsoft product. Very, very useful. The feature list looks quite nice, as well.

UPDATE: I'm trying it out, and this new version has fixed my two biggest problems I've had with RDC 1.

1) If I tried to connect to another computer, and it failed, it would not be able to connect to any other computer until I quit and restarted RDC.

2) Drag-drop-and-copy operations in Windows would cause RDC to crash for some reason. No crashes so far.

One of the biggest differences I've seen so far is that the preferences are now in their own window (RDC -> Preferences), rather than set in the main window. The main interface is somewhat dark looking, which I'm not a big fan of, but it's not a real problem. All of the other options from RDC 1 seem to be there, to be able to display the contents fulls screen to a second display, etc. I love the new feature of being able to mount the Mac's drives on the connected Windows machine. This is a very, very handy feature.

Yes, this is an installer, but at least Microsoft didn't package it as a sitx file. I think they did that with some version of Windows Media Player, which was pretty irritating if you didn't have a recent version of StuffIt.

rockstarjoe
Jul 31, 2007, 04:08 PM
I can't wait to try this! I use Remote Desktop on a daily basis so this is a big deal for me :D

danielwsmithee
Jul 31, 2007, 04:10 PM
Yay! Multiple sessions!So how do you create a second session. I don't see any option such as "connect to another machine"?

/dev/toaster
Jul 31, 2007, 04:14 PM
Wow, gotta love MS ...

gschumsky
Jul 31, 2007, 04:15 PM
Cool. I use RDC now and every now and then on my Intel Mac it just quits/bombs out in the middle of a session. Add in printer support (cool!) and file transfer (so I don't have the use the web dropbox account) and I think I'll like it even more.

Clive At Five
Jul 31, 2007, 04:18 PM
Cross platform drag-n-drop?
Copy/Paste?
What's the response time?

Details, please.

-Clive

NiteWaves77
Jul 31, 2007, 04:24 PM
1. Display and user response are speedy.

2. Local drives and printers finally connect properly without crashing some Macs.

3. Sound retargeting quality crisp on slower connections.

4. Preferences finally where they belong.

5. Saving Windows login credentials no longer chews up your login.keychain.

The only downside so far: doesn't dynamically resize the desktop dimensions on the server side when you switch from full-screen to windowed, so you're going to get a fuzzy desktop on the client if you use the "fit to window" option.

NiteWaves77
Jul 31, 2007, 04:28 PM
Copy/Paste?

Details, please.

-Clive

No drag-n-drop, but you can map a local Mac drive to the Windows machine -- automagically -- at connect time. Same goes for printers. That's been a feature since the previous version, but it was often flakey.

Copy/Paste was available in the previous version. It remains.

Response time is very comfortable. Pretty damn close to sitting in front of the PC. CoRD claims to be faster, but not in my personal experience.

IJ Reilly
Jul 31, 2007, 04:36 PM
What will it cost, once the trial period is over?

petieg
Jul 31, 2007, 04:37 PM
While it indeed seems to be a good start for a UB RDC client, there is no Console support, so no session 0 on a Win2k3 server. They should also have included some 16x9 'type' resolutions instead of the standard 4x3. We'll see about printer support -- this has always been an issue, even for Windoze worlds.

Eidorian
Jul 31, 2007, 04:38 PM
What will it cost, once the trial period is over?$US 0.00

IJ Reilly
Jul 31, 2007, 04:42 PM
$US 0.00

And well worth it at twice the price. ;)

Eidorian
Jul 31, 2007, 04:44 PM
And well worth it at twice the price. ;)It was including in Office 2004 as in optional install and free to download online.

rednic
Jul 31, 2007, 05:03 PM
It seems to be handling to 400 meg transfer that i must get done today

please please .......

Rocketman
Jul 31, 2007, 05:24 PM
So with this I can turn remote wintel boxes on high bandwidth connections into FTP file servers, http file servers and remotely run legacy wintel apps?

Any wintel settings in particular needed?

Rocketman

Baron58
Jul 31, 2007, 05:35 PM
So with this I can turn remote wintel boxes on high bandwidth connections into FTP file servers, http file servers and remotely run legacy wintel apps?

Any wintel settings in particular needed?

Rocketman

Thou$ands in licencing for Windows Server 2003 with Terminal Services.

mkrishnan
Jul 31, 2007, 06:05 PM
Thou$ands in licencing for Windows Server 2003 with Terminal Services.

Actually, versions of most recent client Windows installs (XP Pro (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/mobility/getstarted/enableremote.mspx), etc) support RDC serving. The feature was rolled out so extensively so that admins could remotely administrate computers over the network. Much the same reason why OS X workstations can serve ARD for free.

Bashing Microsoft is fine, but it ought to at least vaguely have some basis in the truth....

Eidorian
Jul 31, 2007, 06:06 PM
Actually, versions of most recent client Windows installs (XP Pro, etc) support RDC serving. The feature was rolled out so extensively so that admins could remotely administrate computers over the network. Much the same reason why OS X workstations can serve ARD for free.

Bashing Microsoft is fine, but it ought to at least vaguely have some basis in the truth....I think they meant actual Windows terminal services instead of just remote administration.

Note: I've done both and hope to implement Terminal Services again.

mkrishnan
Jul 31, 2007, 06:07 PM
While it indeed seems to be a good start for a UB RDC client, there is no Console support, so no session 0 on a Win2k3 server. They should also have included some 16x9 'type' resolutions instead of the standard 4x3. We'll see about printer support -- this has always been an issue, even for Windoze worlds.

I get 1440x900 on my iMac when I log into a Windows Terminal Server... I did in the previous version of RDC also...

The only thing I don't like so far is actually the move of the preferences out of the login window... I thought that the previous Mac RDC was more intuitive than either the new one or the Windows one in this regard....

p0intblank
Jul 31, 2007, 06:11 PM
You mean Microsoft has finally put out something else for the Mac? :eek: It took them long enough.

bigandy
Jul 31, 2007, 06:20 PM
You mean Microsoft has finally put out something else for the Mac? :eek: It took them long enough.

Well, MSN Messenger really must have wiped them out :rolleyes:

I'm glad to see this being done, but I'd rather it was offered as a plugin for ARD 3.

mkrishnan
Jul 31, 2007, 06:22 PM
I'm glad to see this being done, but I'd rather it was offered as a plugin for ARD 3.

Speaking of which, now that Apple got through the emotional hurdle of making fullscreen QT free... how's about some free ARD loving (Apple's version of the client software, that is)?

mattbray
Jul 31, 2007, 06:25 PM
For a NOOB...

Does RDC only work for computers on the same network? I want to be able to connect my iBook @ work to a PC @ home...

mkrishnan
Jul 31, 2007, 06:26 PM
Does RDC only work for computers on the same network? I want to be able to connect my iBook to a PC @ home...

As long as the firewalls / NAT permit it, yes. I RDC over the public internet all the time.

nadyne
Jul 31, 2007, 06:37 PM
Wow, gotta love MS ...

How'd you get that? It would be immensely helpful to us if you'd submit a bug report on Microsoft Connect (http://connect.microsoft.com/macrdc/) that tells us what you were doing at the time that you got that bug. If you can reproduce, please outline those steps as well. Being verbose in bug reports is an excellent way to help us fix the bugs that you experience.

You should log a suggestion on the aforemetioned MS Connect website. We released this public beta specifically to get direct feedback from our users, and that's the best way to get it to us. Please log your suggestions separately -- this goes directly into our system, so having two suggestions in the same item makes it harder for us to track how we're doing at implementing suggestions from our users.

The only thing I don't like so far is actually the move of the preferences out of the login window... I thought that the previous Mac RDC was more intuitive than either the new one or the Windows one in this regard....

Wow, you're the first person that I've heard say that! :) I can't tell you how many times I've heard people ask for features like file sharing because they couldn't find them hidden under that disclosure triangle. If you'd like to know more about some of the user experience work that we did on RDC, you can check out my post to the MacBU team blog about it (http://blogs.msdn.com/macmojo/archive/2007/07/31/come-and-get-it-rdc-for-mac-v2-beta.aspx").

Regards,
Nadyne.

Eidorian
Jul 31, 2007, 06:46 PM
Wow, you're the first person that I've heard say that! :) I can't tell you how many times I've heard people ask for features like file sharing because they couldn't find them hidden under that disclosure triangle. If you'd like to know more about some of the user experience work that we did on RDC, you can check out my post to the MacBU team blog about it (http://blogs.msdn.com/macmojo/archive/2007/07/31/come-and-get-it-rdc-for-mac-v2-beta.aspx").

Regards,
Nadyne.I agree with mkrishnan. The first thing that I noticed was, "Where did all the preferences from the login window go?"

I found them again under Preferences (Cmd + ,) but you get used the interface on a product. Additionally I liked the drop down presets for features given a certain connection speed. Not that I don't know what my LAN can handle but it might help other users to bring those back.

illicium
Jul 31, 2007, 06:56 PM
So does remote desktop absolutely ONLY work with XP Pro? Or Could I use it with XP Home?

edenwaith
Jul 31, 2007, 07:37 PM
I agree with mkrishnan. The first thing that I noticed was, "Where did all the preferences from the login window go?"

I found them again under Preferences (Cmd + ,) but you get used the interface on a product. Additionally I liked the drop down presets for features given a certain connection speed. Not that I don't know what my LAN can handle but it might help other users to bring those back.

Yes, this certainly caught me unaware at first since the Preferences were no longer in the main interface. It was handy to have them there, but ultimately, moving the application's preferences to (*gasp*) the Preferences window makes good sense. I've found that the new layout is better structured than RDC1's, and I'm actually taking notice of certain features (such as sharing your Mac's drives on the PC).

nigrunze
Jul 31, 2007, 07:52 PM
For a NOOB...

Does RDC only work for computers on the same network? I want to be able to connect my iBook @ work to a PC @ home...

Yes, you can use RDC from anywhere but you might have some stuff to set up.
First, you'll need one of the following operating systems. Windows XP Pro, Windows XP Media Center, Windows Vista Business, Windows Vista Enterprise Windows Vista Ultimate, Windows Server 2003. All versions of Windows starting with XP Home come with the client, similar to the free Mac version. I'm not sure if you can connect to a user if it doesn't have a password.

In XP, right click "My Computer" to get to system properties. From there, click the "Remote" tab and then check the box to enable connecting to this computer remotely. You might need to add users to the list. Your current user is automatically added.

In Vista the process is similar. Right click "My Computer" to get to system properties. I think Remote Settings is on the left side of the window.(I don't remember, I may be wrong about that.) Once you find the remote settings, click the radio button for the less secure connection. You might need to add users to the list. Your current user is automatically added.

Second, do you have a router? If you don't, I don't think there's much to do. You might have to enable port 3389 in your firewall. If you do have a router, you'll have to open up port 3389. This site http://www.portforward.com (http://www.portforward.com/) has some good guides for that. Just go to the home page, click "common ports", find "Remote Desktop" and then look for you router model. As an example, here is the guide for setting up RDC with the Linksys WRT54G router(version 5 and 6) http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Linksys/WRT54Gv5/Remote_Desktop.htm

Once you've done that, go to the client and ...
If you're at home on your network, type your computer's IP address in the box.

If you're not at home, type in your external IP address in the box. It's on the PortForward homepage.

I think that's it.
Hope that helps.

mkrishnan
Jul 31, 2007, 08:03 PM
I agree with mkrishnan. The first thing that I noticed was, "Where did all the preferences from the login window go?"

That's kind of what the little triangle is there for!!! :eek: :o

But a minor point. :)

Eidorian
Jul 31, 2007, 08:07 PM
That's kind of what the little triangle is there for!!! :eek: :o

But a minor point. :)@Home and Macless. :( D'oh!

I'll play with it more at work tomorrow. Thanks

mkrishnan
Jul 31, 2007, 08:24 PM
@Home and Macless. :( D'oh!

D'oh! :( It is pretty nice, though. :)

hdsalinas
Jul 31, 2007, 09:33 PM
I would like to access over the internet my parents home pc so that I may assist them when they run into troubles.

Their pc is under a router. I would have to open the port 3389 on their router and then what?

Do I type in RDC the IP address that their router assigns them something + the port number ? Something like 192.168.1.2:3389 ?

I tried connecting to my wife's xp laptop from inside my home network and was very easy. I just not sure how to do it over the internet. please help.

Westside guy
Jul 31, 2007, 10:05 PM
I would like to access over the internet my parents home pc so that I may assist them when they run into troubles.

Their pc is under a router. I would have to open the port 3389 on their router and then what?

Do I type in RDC the IP address that their router assigns them something + the port number ? Something like 192.168.1.2:3389 ?

I tried connecting to my wife's xp laptop from inside my home network and was very easy. I just not sure how to do it over the internet. please help.

On their router, you set up port forwarding so that connections to port 3389 are routed to port 3389 on their home pc. Then you'd RDC to the public IP of the router itself.

AidenShaw
Jul 31, 2007, 10:31 PM
On their router, you set up port forwarding so that connections to port 3389 are routed to port 3389 on their home pc. Then you'd RDC to the public IP of the router itself.

If you have multiple Windows machines behind the same router, you can run the 2nd/3rd/4th... machines on alternate ports.

For example, you could run the 2nd machine on 23389. You'd need to go to the registry and edit:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\TerminalServer\Winstations\RDP-Tcp\PortNumber to 23389 (decimal)

and reboot. Set the router to pass 23389 to the ip:23389 of the 2nd machine.

From the client, open ip:23389 to start the window.

IJ Reilly
Jul 31, 2007, 11:46 PM
So does remote desktop absolutely ONLY work with XP Pro? Or Could I use it with XP Home?

I'd like an answer to this question too. Is there any way to run Terminal Services or Remote Desktop Services in XP Home?

lkraven
Aug 1, 2007, 12:41 AM

In the connection window, append "/console" to the server name.

IE if you are connecting to 192.168.10.10 put "192.168.10.10 /console" in the connection window. Obviously, you can use a FQDN or a hostname as well.

I'd like an answer to this question too. Is there any way to run Terminal Services or Remote Desktop Services in XP Home?

Remote Desktop is a feature available exclusively to XP Pro. It is not available to XP Home... you're stuck using VNC or www.gotomypc.com or www.logmein.com

WildPalms
Aug 1, 2007, 02:10 AM

B

CoRD is faster. The beta is so buggy and slow...finding it less than usefull. I'd rather use CoRD or the current version of RDC.

balamw
Aug 1, 2007, 02:11 AM

This might help: http://www.thinsoftinc.com/product_thin_client_winconnect_server_xp.aspx

Though an upgrade to XP Pro might be cheaper. :p

B

WildPalms
Aug 1, 2007, 02:18 AM
As long as the firewalls / NAT permit it, yes. I RDC over the public internet all the time.

The question was: "Does RDC only work for computers on the same network?"

No, RDC does not only work on the same subnet. So long as you can access the remote machine on the allowed ports, traversing firewalls, public nets, etc should pose no problem aside from latency.

ATG
Aug 1, 2007, 02:18 AM
Does that mean anything interesting for this type of app in terms of functionality? Or is it just a peek at things to come? Cocoa Office? :) :)
A rewrite of RDC is one thing, but a rewrite of office is totally another.

steviem
Aug 1, 2007, 02:40 AM
While this would work, dont you think its a little messy? Also, some people don't like to mess with their registry. I know on D-Link routers you can open 23389, for example, on the external interface to forward to 3389 in a certain internal ip address.
I think this solution would be simpler...

If you have multiple Windows machines behind the same router, you can run the 2nd/3rd/4th... machines on alternate ports.

For example, you could run the 2nd machine on 23389. You'd need to go to the registry and edit:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\TerminalServer\Winstations\RDP-Tcp\PortNumber to 23389 (decimal)

and reboot. Set the router to pass 23389 to the ip:23389 of the 2nd machine.

From the client, open ip:23389 to start the window.

4np
Aug 1, 2007, 03:17 AM
Copy/Paste?

Details, please.

-Clive

Copy/Paste already works in the current version. Except for binary copy pastes like files and screenshots. Textual copy paste works...

B

Thanks for this post; I did not yet know about CoRD :) I'm definately give that a shot :)

4np
Aug 1, 2007, 03:37 AM

I often use SSH tunnels to get to a machine; you can -for example- easily forward your machine at your home network to your local machine if you have a Unix box as gateway.

For example:
-your local machine --> the MAC (or other *nix machine) you are working on
-unix.home.com --> your home *nix gateway (a Mac, Linux or other unix flavored machine)
-192.168.1.1 --> your windows machine on the local home network

On your local machine you can then execute the following command in your terminal to start a SSH tunnel which forwards the remote desktop connection from your home windows machine to your local machine:

ssh -L 3389:192.168.1.1:3389 -g -l your_user_name unix.home.com

(by adding the -g option you allow remote users to connect to the forwarded remote desktop port on your local machine as well)

After login you just get a regular SSH shell but now with a portfoward for port 3389 (=RDP) to the machine on your home network. Now you can connect with your remote desktop client to localhost and get the desktop of your home windows machine :) It's that easy... Note that you can create multiple forwards at one as well. Also reverse tunnels are possible using the -R option. I usually start a top -d 5 command to keep the connection open; however this of course is not really necessary :)

It's even better to use remote desktop like this as the connection will be encrypted because you use a SSH tunnel. Directly connecting to Remote Desktop over the internet could allow sniffing or 'man in the middle' attacks. Personally I think adding a publically available portforward to your home router (as some people have mentioned previously) is a security hole in your network; I think the SSH tunnel (or using a VPN) approach is the proper way of doing this.

Note: make sure though that sshd.conf on unix.home.com allows portforwards (AllowTcpForwarding yes) and that you -of course- allow remote users to connect your windows machine using remote desktop :)

You can use the same process for forwarding whatever (TCP!) ports you like :) Perhaps VNC? ;) Or SMB :)

Jasonbot
Aug 1, 2007, 04:42 AM
How does this compare to Apple's Remote Desktop?

AidenShaw
Aug 1, 2007, 06:52 AM
While this would work, dont you think its a little messy? Also, some people don't like to mess with their registry. I know on D-Link routers you can open 23389, for example, on the external interface to forward to 3389 in a certain internal ip address.
I think this solution would be simpler...

Yes - I should have said something like "if your router can't forward to a different port...."

You'll still need to specify the port number on the connect, for example

> mstsc /console /v:216.109.112.135:23389 /width=1280 /height=1024

Some people recommend using an alternate port (other than 3389) on the external side for a bit of extra security. Botnets and the like that do automated scans for RDP vulnerabilities will be hitting port 3389 - not scanning the entire port range.

If a dedicated crook (like the NSA) is after you, though, they'll see signature RDP traffic through the alternate port and get you.

AidenShaw
Aug 1, 2007, 07:05 AM
It's even better to use remote desktop like this as the connection will be encrypted because you use a SSH tunnel. Directly connecting to Remote Desktop over the internet could allow sniffing or 'man in the middle' attacks.

Actually, RDP is encrypted with most current clients - but it is vulnerable to man-in-the-middle attacks. Vista <-> Vista or Vista <-> Win2k8 RDP sessions do block the man-in-the-middle attacks.

Some very good infos about some simple settings to help secure RDP are at:

http://www.mobydisk.com/techres/securing_remote_desktop.html

Personally I think adding a publically available portforward to your home router (as some people have mentioned previously) is a security hole in your network.

But, you're opening the well-known port 22 for the SSH connection, so it can't be all bad.... ;)

bigandy
Aug 1, 2007, 07:21 AM
How does this compare to Apple's Remote Desktop?

MS RDC is for accessing individual Windows boxes.

ARD allows access to Windows based boxes running VNC, and in addition allows users to remotely control or monitor other computers over a network, deploy software installations, get monitoring reports, reboot machines or groups of machines, and so on. You can even control multiple computers at once, really easily.

http://www.apple.com/remotedesktop/

Have a look at the website ;)

ilogic
Aug 1, 2007, 08:35 AM
$US 0.00

FREE?!... I'll be there twice! :-)

Jasonbot
Aug 1, 2007, 09:03 AM
MS RDC is for accessing individual Windows boxes.

ARD allows access to Windows based boxes running VNC, and in addition allows users to remotely control or monitor other computers over a network, deploy software installations, get monitoring reports, reboot machines or groups of machines, and so on. You can even control multiple computers at once, really easily.

http://www.apple.com/remotedesktop/

Have a look at the website ;)

Yeah, I have Apple Remote Desktop but I was jsut wondering in terms of accessing windows boxes what the difference is. I should be more specific next time.

Do I need to install a VNC client on my windows PC's to get ARD to access them? I've been having problems.

macenforcer
Aug 1, 2007, 09:37 AM
WOW. Way faster. Like it.

Now I just wish they would add video support so I can watch tv through windows media center.

timswim78
Aug 1, 2007, 09:44 AM
Do I need to install a VNC client on my windows PC's to get ARD to access them? I've been having problems.

No, it is built in to XP Pro, Server versions of Windows, and Business and Ultimate versions of Vista.

balamw
Aug 1, 2007, 11:32 AM
No, it is built in to XP Pro, Server versions of Windows, and Business and Ultimate versions of Vista.

He wasn't talking about Microsoft's client.

ARD (Apple Remote Desktop), not Microsoft's, will require VNC on the Windows box.

B

Yateball
Aug 1, 2007, 11:58 AM
This seems like a great update but I need something that's not only going to go Mac to PC, but PC to Mac.

Does such a program exist that allows you to control Mac OSX from a PC?

Reading through this update it doesnt look like this has been done yet.

uv23
Aug 1, 2007, 12:02 PM
I haven't noticed any difference between 2.0 beta and the previous version 1.0.3. It's probably using a smaller memory footprint, since it's not running under Rosetta, but speed seems the same. Performance bottleneck is likely the work VPN.

mkrishnan
Aug 1, 2007, 12:07 PM
Reading through this update it doesnt look like this has been done yet.

Why would that be MS's responsibility? Apple doesn't support the Microsoft RDC protocol in OS X. So there's no way for MS to magically make Apple computers able to be RDC'd to from Windows computers.

Apple *does* support the VNC protocol on all versions (wkstation and server) of OS X. You go to system preferences and allow other people to access the Mac remotely (I think it's the Network pane -> Sharing tab).

You will then be able to log into the Mac using a VNC client on Windows (e.g. this one (http://www.tightvnc.com/)).

Since the VNC and the RDC are both very small programs that use substantially different protocols, what is the benefit of merging them into one program?

Lollypop
Aug 2, 2007, 06:18 AM
Dont like that it needs in installer...

Doesn't want to work with any of our Win2003 servers, it connects, shows login window, but then credentials dont get accepted... might be keyboard mapping or something.... :mad:

rustedshut
Aug 2, 2007, 09:27 AM

Doesn't want to work with any of our Win2003 servers, it connects, shows login window, but then credentials dont get accepted... might be keyboard mapping or something.... :mad:If Win2003 server support is possible. Please link me to a tutorial or something. I've been super pissed at my new job with not being able to remote in from home. I came across a link a month ago with a way to setup 2003 to allow OSX RDCs. I've since lost the link and have only found a blurb about it from Experts-exchange (http://www.experts-exchange.com/Networking/Macintosh_Networking/Q_21709912.html). It states to do this to your 2003 server's Active Directory...

-> Security Settings -> local policies -> security options:
Domain member: Digitally encrypt or sign secure channel data (always): have put in on "Not Defined" instead off "enabled"
Microsoft Network server: Digitally sign communications (always): have put in on "Not Defined" instead off "enabled"
Microsoft Network server: Digitally sign communications (if client agrees): have put in on "Not Defined" instead off "enabled"
Microsoft Network client: Digitally sign communications (always): have put in on "disabled" instead off "Not Defined"

I haven't convinced my boss to try this yet. So, I'm hoping there's something I can do for my OSX computers that will work with it... ****!

swiftaw
Aug 2, 2007, 06:00 PM
Has anyone noticed that it has a memory leak? I had it running for about 8 hours and it was using up over 1Gb of RAM.

4np
Aug 4, 2007, 04:18 AM
But, you're opening the well-known port 22 for the SSH connection, so it can't be all bad.... ;)

True; but I have limited down the access in the TCP wrappers ;)

nigrunze
Aug 4, 2007, 09:54 AM
For anyone who hasn't noticed, you can use Remote Desktop Connection to connect to a computer using Windows XP MCE. But you can't connect to XP home.
Most versions of windows include the Remote Desktop server to connect to(XP MCE, XP pro, Vista Business, Vista Ultimate, maybe XP tablet, and probably all server versions of windows.)

chmorley
Aug 6, 2007, 08:51 AM

BI like it better than CoRD. This beta resolves a few printing problems I was experiencing with both CoRD and RDC 1.

Chris

askywalker
Aug 19, 2007, 10:45 AM

Doesn't want to work with any of our Win2003 servers, it connects, shows login window, but then credentials dont get accepted... might be keyboard mapping or something.... :mad:

Did you ever get this to work? I just got a brand new MBP today, downloaded the Remote Desktop beta client - and get the login credentials screen but can't enter anything. It is like my MBP keyboard is not being recognized or something. I even tried switching to the character palette and entering letters that way - but nothing...

robomac
Aug 27, 2007, 10:21 AM
Did you ever get this to work? I just got a brand new MBP today, downloaded the Remote Desktop beta client - and get the login credentials screen but can't enter anything. It is like my MBP keyboard is not being recognized or something. I even tried switching to the character palette and entering letters that way - but nothing...

I'm using an old TiBook and I've got the same problem. No input except the mouse. Would you please let me know if anyone figures this out.

thanks

askywalker
Aug 29, 2007, 02:50 AM
I'm using an old TiBook and I've got the same problem. No input except the mouse. Would you please let me know if anyone figures this out.

thanks

I got this to work by changing the keyboard language. I have no idea why, but if my keyboard is on US-English or Japanese I would not be able to enter anything. If I switched the keyboard to 'Canadian', then connect, I could enter my username and password.

Crazy. Hope it works for you too!

cool11
Oct 1, 2007, 02:12 AM
No drag-n-drop, but you can map a local Mac drive to the Windows machine -- automagically -- at connect time. Same goes for printers. That's been a feature since the previous version, but it was often flakey.

Copy/Paste was available in the previous version. It remains.

Response time is very comfortable. Pretty damn close to sitting in front of the PC. CoRD claims to be faster, but not in my personal experience.

I tried copy-paste file from pc to mac and it did not work.
Am I doing something wrong?
Can I right-click 'copy' file to pc, and right-click paste them to mac os x?

Also I tried to drag files from pc to mac and it didnt work at all.

I need this file transfer. How I can do it?

cool11
Oct 1, 2007, 06:08 AM
Any help on drag-n-drop and cut-paste files?

TBi
Oct 1, 2007, 06:10 AM
I don't think drag and drop is supported but cut and paste works fine for me.

TBi
Oct 1, 2007, 06:15 AM
For anyone who hasn't noticed, you can use Remote Desktop Connection to connect to a computer using Windows XP MCE. But you can't connect to XP home.
Most versions of windows include the Remote Desktop server to connect to(XP MCE, XP pro, Vista Business, Vista Ultimate, maybe XP tablet, and probably all server versions of windows.)

MCE is based on Windows XP Pro, that is why it works.

cool11
Oct 1, 2007, 11:17 AM
Please, somebody to tell me how to do copy paste.
I make 'copy' to windows (through remote desktop client), then I go to mac, right click, no paste option!

TBi
Oct 1, 2007, 11:20 AM
Please, somebody to tell me how to do copy paste.
I make 'copy' to windows (through remote desktop client), then I go to mac, right click, no paste option!

It might be worth your while making a shared directory for copying files.

cool11
Oct 1, 2007, 11:44 AM
It might be worth your while making a shared directory for copying files.

I have already set the whole c directory of pc to be shared, I did it through properties tab in c: , in windows explorer.
But this does dot mean that I see it in mac finder!

Shared directory is ok in windows.
How can I use it on mac os x finder?

Neuro
Oct 1, 2007, 05:18 PM
I find the initial delay on connection very irritating. It used to be near instant with the old version. Also, the way you create a machine profile now is horrible! It should be done within the app window, not burried in prefs on the menu bar.

I just tried CoRD after someone mentioned it on here and it's so much more Mac-like. Connects instantly too and handles multiple machines in a far more logical way. I'll be using it now instead. :)

cool11
Oct 1, 2007, 11:59 PM
Anybody to help me with shared folder and copy paste?

elcid
Oct 2, 2007, 08:45 AM
Anybody to help me with shared folder and copy paste?

You must be doing something wrong or there is something wrong with your setup. It works well for me and other people on this board.

I have never used file transfers through RDC. I usually just use SMB for something like that.

mkrishnan
Oct 2, 2007, 08:51 AM
You must be doing something wrong or there is something wrong with your setup. It works well for me and other people on this board.

Wait, let me make sure I understand... what it sounds like the previous poster was asking for is to be able to view the host computer's folders on the client computer. Remote Desktop Connection, as far as I know, only allows you to view the client computer's files on the host. I don't know of a workaround for that. It's a two way read/write, though, so you can still transfer files in either direction, but you have to do it from inside the host computer's interface (i.e. in Windows).

For copy/paste... what exactly are you trying to copy, from where, and to where are you trying to paste it? Be SPECIFIC (and please use comprehensible grammar). Make sure you're using the appropriate key shortcuts both on the Mac and the Windows sides....

seanneko
Oct 2, 2007, 06:31 PM
I really dislike Microsoft's RDC client - Cord is far better.

Microsoft RDC is very unstable; if you shut down/disconnect from the remote computer while in an RDC session, the client will pretty much always freeze and you have to kill the process. That coupled with the fact that it looks and feels like a Windows app means that I have no compelling reason to use it.

elcid
Oct 3, 2007, 05:29 AM
I really dislike Microsoft's RDC client - Cord is far better.

Microsoft RDC is very unstable; if you shut down/disconnect from the remote computer while in an RDC session, the client will pretty much always freeze and you have to kill the process. That coupled with the fact that it looks and feels like a Windows app means that I have no compelling reason to use it.

Could the fact that it looks and feels like a real windows app be because you are booting into Windows? Seriously I see one box and all it asks for is the IP. Then it instantly pulls into windows. There is no real interface with the application for me.

TBi
Oct 3, 2007, 05:49 AM
Microsoft RDC is very unstable; if you shut down/disconnect from the remote computer while in an RDC session, the client will pretty much always freeze and you have to kill the process.

Oh my god... are you serious? A Beta version of software is unstable? Say it ain't so!

seanneko
Oct 3, 2007, 05:59 AM
Oh my god... are you serious? A Beta version of software is unstable? Say it ain't so!

Uhh, what's your point? I said that the program is unstable therefore I don't use it. I have no idea where your remark came from :confused:

WirelessInn
Oct 9, 2007, 04:17 PM
Greetings!
Currently using Remote Desktop Connections in my mixed Mac/Win networks a lot, including the Mac RDC client.
BUT, I still have a few Windows 2000 on the networks (running proprietary apps) and I wonder HOW and if it is possible to use RDC (Win or Mac client versions) to access a Win 2000 machine. Info on various sites is a bit confusing in that regard (including on MS sites - even though I do know that there is NOT a Remote control selection readily available in Win 2000 menus).
Help / info / pointers will be appreciated!

- Roger T

Omikronz
Mar 12, 2008, 10:12 AM
Wonder if this is ever going to be finished...

nadyne
Mar 12, 2008, 11:22 AM
Wonder if this is ever going to be finished...

Yup. Almost done, in fact. :) My boss posted an update to Mac Mojo (http://www.officeformac.com/blog/) (our team blog) about what we're working on these days: Office 2008 update (http://www.officeformac.com/blog/Office-2008-Update). He talks about the 12.0.1 update that came out yesterday, as well as the rest of what we're working on.

To spare you an extra click, RDC v2 will go final this spring. We're putting the final polish on the bits now. :)

kocoman
Jul 26, 2010, 09:11 PM
Has anyone noticed that it has a memory leak? I had it running for about 8 hours and it was using up over 1Gb of RAM.

If you install the 2.1.0 (100709) version of the remote desktop for mac, (its in office 2011 beta 5), maybe it fix the problem?

gauchogolfer
Jul 26, 2010, 09:13 PM
If you install the 2.1.0 (100709) version of the remote desktop for mac, (its in office 2011 beta 5), maybe it fix the problem?

Hey, this thread is wayyyy old. Let's let it go.