Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Microsoft has released version 2.0 (Beta) of their Remote Desktop Connection Client for Mac.

Remote Desktop Connection Client lets you connect to a Microsoft Windows-based computer and work with programs and files on that computer from your Macintosh computer.

New features include:

- Universal Binary
- Provides better compatibility with Windows Vista, improved security features, and many other improvements.
- Multiple Sessions
- Improved User Experience
- Dynamic Screen Resizing
- Improved Printing Support

Article Link

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
For anyone who has already downloaded it.

How does it compare with CoRD? http://cord.sourceforge.net/

B

Thanks for the CoRD link, B. I've just started connecting to my work machine via VPN, and haven't yet done it from my Powerbook. I downloaded the older Windows RDC for Mac this weekend, but I'll probably give the beta a try as well. I'll report back with my impressions if someone more knowledgeable doesn't beat me to it.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
A quick check shows that it's a small download, a quick install, and it works as easily as version 1 did. So far so good.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
It is strange that it uses a pkg... but I guess it's better than coming in a Stuffit file. :rolleyes:

I'm curious to try it out. The current release is great as-is, but a few of the things do sound like they'd be nice. Particularly if MRDC and Exposé cooperated better? (i.e. full screen apps and Exposé's show all windows mode).

EDIT: Update, it did indeed do this. Nicely, I might add.:)

I don't know if it's wise to or not, but if anyone is installing this while Office 04 is installed and they want to overwrite their copy of MRDC, which seems harmless, they should point the installer to this folder:

/Applications/Microsoft Office 2004/Additional Tools/Remote Desktop Connection

When asked to choose where to install, as this installation just drops in the single app bundle (and no folder).

It's very nice that it can render out a screen resolution to a window (so, e.g., if you go from full screen to windowed, you get a window with a reduced-size version of the fullscreen resolution). It does a nice job of this. :)

It has some other really nice little features:

- It lets you know only give the host computer access to the client's home directory and not the whole drive (which I don't think is in the Windows version yet). Although, oddly, it still seems to let a non-admin user give the client at least read access to the whole HD without needing to escalate privileges. If they fix this and respect local permissions, this would be a great security feature.

- Much better keymapping

- Adds the auto-reconnect feature that Windows has

- Adds the ability to send the RDC by default to full-screen on a display of your choice, if you have more than one display.

All in all, outstanding. I thought RDC 1.x was far better than CoRD; this is a substantial leap in turn over RDC 1.x! :)

P.S. I think the trend of just replacing actual releases of software with never-ending public betas is becoming tiresome (cough, GMail, cough)

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
Interesting - I wonder why it needs an installer?
1.0 was a drag and drop. However, it required Stuffit to decompress. I hope they don't any more.

It is good to see Microsoft actually doing some development for Mac, but even the PPC version is working fine on my intel, so it is not all that exciting.

edenwaith

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2001
:)

Very nice. I saw on the MacMojo blog that RDC 2 was coming out this week. I'm downloading it right now. I use RDC on a daily basis, and it is my favorite Microsoft product. Very, very useful. The feature list looks quite nice, as well.

UPDATE: I'm trying it out, and this new version has fixed my two biggest problems I've had with RDC 1.

1) If I tried to connect to another computer, and it failed, it would not be able to connect to any other computer until I quit and restarted RDC.

2) Drag-drop-and-copy operations in Windows would cause RDC to crash for some reason. No crashes so far.

One of the biggest differences I've seen so far is that the preferences are now in their own window (RDC -> Preferences), rather than set in the main window. The main interface is somewhat dark looking, which I'm not a big fan of, but it's not a real problem. All of the other options from RDC 1 seem to be there, to be able to display the contents fulls screen to a second display, etc. I love the new feature of being able to mount the Mac's drives on the connected Windows machine. This is a very, very handy feature.

Yes, this is an installer, but at least Microsoft didn't package it as a sitx file. I think they did that with some version of Windows Media Player, which was pretty irritating if you didn't have a recent version of StuffIt.

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA
Wow, gotta love MS ...

Attachments

• Gottalovems.png
    Gottalovems.png
    12.5 KB · Views: 184

gschumsky

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
San Diego (Jamul), Ca
Cool. I use RDC now and every now and then on my Intel Mac it just quits/bombs out in the middle of a session. Add in printer support (cool!) and file transfer (so I don't have the use the web dropbox account) and I think I'll like it even more.

NiteWaves77

macrumors member
May 28, 2007
Cupertino, CA
Excellent - Finally Works As It Should

1. Display and user response are speedy.

2. Local drives and printers finally connect properly without crashing some Macs.

3. Sound retargeting quality crisp on slower connections.

4. Preferences finally where they belong.

5. Saving Windows login credentials no longer chews up your login.keychain.

The only downside so far: doesn't dynamically resize the desktop dimensions on the server side when you switch from full-screen to windowed, so you're going to get a fuzzy desktop on the client if you use the "fit to window" option.

NiteWaves77

macrumors member
May 28, 2007
Cupertino, CA
Cross platform drag-n-drop?
Copy/Paste?
What's the response time?

Details, please.

-Clive

No drag-n-drop, but you can map a local Mac drive to the Windows machine -- automagically -- at connect time. Same goes for printers. That's been a feature since the previous version, but it was often flakey.

Copy/Paste was available in the previous version. It remains.

Response time is very comfortable. Pretty damn close to sitting in front of the PC. CoRD claims to be faster, but not in my personal experience.

petieg

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2007
No Console support

While it indeed seems to be a good start for a UB RDC client, there is no Console support, so no session 0 on a Win2k3 server. They should also have included some 16x9 'type' resolutions instead of the standard 4x3. We'll see about printer support -- this has always been an issue, even for Windoze worlds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.