PDA

View Full Version : Apple Event August 7th

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

MacRumors
Jul 31, 2007, 07:04 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Multiple sites are reporting that Apple has called the media to its Cupertino headquarters next Tuesday, August 7th at 10am PDT. The reports indicate that the event will be strictly Mac-related.

Rumors have been indicating that the iMac is set for a dramatic refresh on that date (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/07/17/imac-revision-and-ilife-on-august-7th/).

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/07/31/apple-event-august-7th/)

Chisholm
Jul 31, 2007, 07:06 PM
Not exactly on topic, but damn this is a news heavy day here!

phampton81
Jul 31, 2007, 07:07 PM
The greatest thing about my current macbook is it's keyboard, if they incorporate that into the new iMac I might just make the switch to desktop/iphone instead of a laptop.

gadgetgirl85
New ipods! well...hopefully :D

nakile
I knew it. I said earlier today that Apple will have to be announcing something if they're going to release a new iMac on the 7th.

This pretty much confirms it. New iMac on the 7th!!

superspiffy
The August 7th prophecy is at last coming true!

ventro
finally, they KB mystery will be solved!

Random Ping
E x c e l l e n t ! ! :)

powerbuddy
Jul 31, 2007, 07:08 PM
So the iMac's are coming! :D

vandlism
New ipods! well...hopefully :D
uhhh...exclusively mac.

iMac, iLife/iWork and maybe some extra Leopard demos?

LimeiBook86
This would be very good news, my Dad is in the market for a new iMac and we've been waiting for this for a while. Let's hope they update a bunch of things. I'm hoping for a new iMac, Mac Mini, and maybe something else. :p :D

mrchainsaw5757
im so excited!

Eidorian
Jul 31, 2007, 07:09 PM
I'd like to see new Mac computer hardware ANYTHING.

And I feel sorry for the mods that have to merge all these threads...

FightTheFuture
i feel that a new imac or mac mini would be a little too close to the tiger release. now a new keyboard or a multi touch mouse would really make me excited right now :)

that - or seeing tiger without any aqua buttons or scroll bars :D

Shoesy
Maybe its a new thing from apple that they might announce.

That would be sw-ee-t :p

DanB91
**** YEA!!!!!!!!11111oneone

CANT WAIT!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D

*begs for mac games*

kwood
Jul 31, 2007, 07:10 PM
I am hoping for a silent Mac mini update as well. Maybe even an 802.11n Express.

AoWolf
I think this is the first time I am sad the event is "Mac only" can't wait nevertheless.

Dany M
Yes, Praise The Lord!!!!!!

http://www.gizmowatch.com/images/future_imac1.jpg

http://www.gizmowatch.com/images/future_imac2.jpg

http://www.gizmowatch.com/images/future_imac3.jpg

http://www.gizmowatch.com/images/future_imac4.jpg

Nepenthe
Wow this thread is getting more replies than the Keynote threads usually do ;)

Dagless
ooo this sounds big.

WannaGoMac
Say goodbye mini. Boy, I wish the mini were updated though :(

Taylor C
Damn, nice. I really hope they post a video of the event like they've done with these smaller-scale events in the past.

ImAlwaysRight
Ohhh-yes! New iMacs, here we come!

WannaGoMac
Jul 31, 2007, 07:12 PM
But no Steve Jobs!

sblasl
Jul 31, 2007, 07:12 PM
i feel that a new imac or mac mini would be a little too close to the tiger release.:D

Hasn't Tiger been out for awhile?

Dany M
Jul 31, 2007, 07:13 PM
No jobs! Aww well we can manage!!!

Caitlyn
Hope it's true. Ugh, Apple is LONG overdue for a strictly Mac related event.

AppleMatt389
i think i just cacked my dacks.

Hairball
FINALLY something to get excited about. Let's just hope that it is indeed MAC related, i.e. iMacs and MANY iSuite software packages. :rolleyes:

ImAlwaysRight
Now I'm just waiting for AI to give us the full specs of these iMac beauties!

Mac-Mariachi
It´s gonna be a long week!!!

Credit Card is ready, unfortunately the New iMac they WILL announce (they have to right??) will take a few weeks longer to arrive to México.

Hopefully, whatever they announce will ship immediately. Having to wait 4 - 6 weeks will S * * K!

Random Ping
I am looking forward to:

New iMacs
iWork 08 (included (at least a demo version) on new iMacs)
iLife 08 (included on new iMacs)
iWeb update (in iLife 08) that includes (1) new and better templates, and (2) support for developing pages that work very well with iPhone.

Dimwhit
Jul 31, 2007, 07:14 PM
With the event being focused 'on the Mac,' I can't see any way that they don't release a new iMac. Finally!!

yoyo5280
Jul 31, 2007, 07:14 PM
I hope it is a new mini, or maybe iMacs. That would make the current iMac cheaper, right!? EBAY HERE I COME!

thesdx
Jul 31, 2007, 07:15 PM
W@@T! I knew it would happen! :D ThinkSecret was actually right! It's a shame Jobs won't be there, but I'll still be glued to my laptop all day! I'm guessing they will post a video. If they didn't, they'd miss out on a whole lot of hype. However, since it's not a Stevenote, it won't send out the same title wave of hype that Stevenotes always bring.

youngestchild
Jul 31, 2007, 07:16 PM
no steve? :confused: where does it say that??

i really hope the imac doesn't look like that clear (when off) mock up thats been around for ages... it's just, ehh... and if i'm gonna spend 3grand (aus) on a new model, i want to be able to see it! even when it is off!!

though the keyboard in that old mock is very close to the new "leaked" design so who knows!

just bring it out next week and put me out of my pain :apple: !! please!! :D

yoyo5280
Wait, why won't Steve be there?

Dany M
MacRumors better be there with live updates along with pictures! Man I'm exited!

Hairball
Jul 31, 2007, 07:17 PM
But no Steve Jobs!

How can be a true MAC event with no Steve?

ghall
Jul 31, 2007, 07:18 PM
But no Steve Jobs!

Where does it say that? :confused:

Anyway, it's about time. This better be good.

DanB91
Jul 31, 2007, 07:18 PM
where does it say jobs wont be there?

Wild-Bill
Jul 31, 2007, 07:19 PM
They better release an updated Mac Pro on the 7th. That's it's one year anniversary.

zioxide
Jul 31, 2007, 07:20 PM
They better ****ing update like everything.

I see iMac and Mac Mini, probably not Mac Pro though.

No iPods.. they will probably come around Paris Expo the end of Sept. iPods always come in the fall. Not right in the middle of the back to school iPod rebate.

Jobs will be there. AI says so, plus there's no way in hell Apple will release a completely new iMac without Jobs being there.

yagran
Wahey! actually news! now its rumour time!!! woooo.

thers so much stuff to release! does anyont know how long this event will be, beccause my wish list is looooooonnnnngggg!

Random Ping
In the "what I would love to see but ain't gonna happen" category: Support for running Mac OS X inside VMWare Fusion as a guest operating system. Then I could test new software on multiple versions of OS X without having to reboot from another partition or keep multiple machines around.

Mr-Stabby
Jul 31, 2007, 07:21 PM
If Steve isn't there, this confirms one of two things:

1) This isn't such a big event and no new iMacs will be released. I'm hoping this is the case frankly because why would they release new machines and include them with Tiger when Leopard is only 2 months away.

2) The event is for all the new iMacs and Steve just doesn't care about Macs and is going for the iPhone/New iPhone style iPod only at the moment, which i hope isn't the case. I mean if a new iMac design revision was coming out, surely Steve would want to be there to announce it! The Apple stock price would go up a lot more if Steve introduced a new iMac than if some normal Appl nutter did, lets face it.

kwood
Jul 31, 2007, 07:21 PM
MacRumors better be there with live updates along with pictures! Man I'm exited!

Did Mac Rumors get an invitation as well? I know coverage for other events is provided by volunteers, but did Arn or someone get an official invite?

DanB91
Jul 31, 2007, 07:22 PM
what i would love to see is announcement of mac os 11, more games for mac, and an affordable, expandable mac.

again where does it say no jobs?? it cant be an apple keynote w/out steve

siurpeeman
Jul 31, 2007, 07:22 PM
questions i'm wondering:

1. will it be a new imac? what will it look like?

2. new ipod nano? new ipod ipod? or both? will the full ipod have wifi?

3. what's to become of the mac mini?

4. any more leopard features?

trying not to get my hopes up, but these are the things i'm pondering.

sblasl
Jul 31, 2007, 07:23 PM
Per AppleInSider

"Apple chief executive Steve Jobs is widely expected to use the gather to take the wraps off a new generation of 20- and 24-inch iMacs. It's also more than likely that he'll provide demonstrations of the company's long-awaited iLife '08 and iWork '08 software suites."

kungming2
Who the heck clicked "negative!" ?! :confused:

kbrain2929
FINALLY!!! I have been waiting for a "small keynote-type" speech. I just wanna know if we are going to be able to see the video or maybe a nice live stream. That would be cool! 6 DAYS!!!

diehardmacfan
appleinsider says nothing about steve jobs not being there, they mention him being there actually. Finally i can order a imac:):)

Cybergypsy
Jul 31, 2007, 07:24 PM
Ohhhhhh staying home that day :)

kungming2
Jul 31, 2007, 07:24 PM
Aside from new iMac and iLife/iWork, I'm guessing we'll see an announcement of the date Leopard will ship.

Hairball
Jul 31, 2007, 07:25 PM
Per AppleInSider

"Apple chief executive Steve Jobs is widely expected to use the gather to take the wraps off a new generation of 20- and 24-inch iMacs. It's also more than likely that he'll provide demonstrations of the company's long-awaited iLife '08 and iWork '08 software suites."

Better not be just a big hype to announce the previously mentioned games are now available.

Mr-Stabby
Oh good Steve is there then. Lets hope the Stevenote is better than the last one which was weak by Steves standards lets face it.

Dany M
Did Mac Rumors get an invitation as well? I know coverage for other events is provided by volunteers, but did Arn or someone get an official invite?

Hopefully they did!

Azzurri15
Jul 31, 2007, 07:26 PM
I wish the event was on the 6th; I leave for Italy on the 7th, and I won't be able to check the net for the updates. I guess I'll have to find a computer at the DC Airport.

Maybe some info will be leaked a day before.

Tourist
Jul 31, 2007, 07:27 PM
About Fragging Time,

Hopefully it will put to rest all the waiting for a decent update on iMacs, Although I hope we might hear something about the future of the Mini line, given this is an event rather than just a "website is down" roll out :)

ventro
New iMac, new iLife/iWork. That's it.

plumbingandtech
questions i'm wondering:

2. new ipod nano? new ipod ipod? or both? will the full ipod have wifi?

trying not to get my hopes up, but these are the things i'm pondering.

They said mac related only.

Vidd
Strictly Mac-related? About time. :)

DMC-12
Jul 31, 2007, 07:28 PM
AMEN!

Early Leopard release. New MacBooks.

kbrain2929
Jul 31, 2007, 07:29 PM

I won't be a real mac event w/o steve... :( (crying) I think he will be there though! :p (feeling better)

hyperpasta
Jul 31, 2007, 07:30 PM
I guess I'll have to find a computer at the DC Airport.

If you have a cellular phone with a WAP browser ("mobile web"), you can see the latest news at macrumors.com/mobile.

Question for Arn: Will MacRumors provide live updates via SMS?

mac 2005
i feel that a new imac or mac mini would be a little too close to the tiger release. now a new keyboard or a multi touch mouse would really make me excited right now :)

that - or seeing tiger without any aqua buttons or scroll bars :D

By "Tiger," do you mean "Leopard"? ;)

inkswamp
I hope this is only Mac-related announcements. Such a thing is long overdue. No iPod, no iTunes, no iPhone, no :apple:TV. All of those things have gotten way too much attention so far this year. It's time for Apple to lavish some attention on its favorite (albeit a tad neglected) child. :D

Hairball
Jul 31, 2007, 07:33 PM
I think it's a little funny that Apple, "Inc.," made this announcement shortly after their stock dropped $9.67."

Random Ping
Jul 31, 2007, 07:33 PM
I leave for Italy on the 7th, and I won't be able to check the net for the updates.

Italy has Internet Cafes all over the place; although, most of them are running Windows. Also, most hotels I have been stayed at in Italy have a computer somewhere with Internet access.

theperson
Jul 31, 2007, 07:34 PM
I knew it I knew it I knew it.. I've been getting that familiar Applehunch lately..

Frisco
My money is on an Ultra-portable flash based laptop. And the new iMac too. Mac Mini discontinued, which is a shame. It's a great computer, but overpriced.

Chisholm
I wish the event was on the 6th; I leave for Italy on the 7th, and I won't be able to check the net for the updates. I guess I'll have to find a computer at the DC Airport.

Maybe some info will be leaked a day before.

I'm sure you'll see a news report on a tv somewhere. Or just walk up to a fellow apple laptop user and ask. Most airports seem to have wireless somewhere or another. But if not, you're going to ITALY!!! Have fun!

cheers!

thesdx
Strictly Mac-related? About time. :)
Seriously. No offense to the iPhone, but all of the iPhone madness has kind of been cannibalizing the Mac. Also, where does it say there will be no Steve? I just took WannaGoMac's word for it. I have to beleive that Steve would be there. He's been there for all other previous iMac introductions. Who else would be there? Also, Mac OS 11 isn't going to be introduced for nearly another 5 years.

Random Ping
Jul 31, 2007, 07:36 PM
Early Leopard release.

No way. From everything I have read online, it is still very buggy at this stage :(. Late October at the very earliest.

DMC-12
Jul 31, 2007, 07:36 PM
All of those things have gotten way too much attention so far this year.

That's the spirit! I wish the iPhone had never been born. I FRIGGIN' HATE ALL IPOD/IPHONE HYPE! I HATE IT!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE, GOD, NEW MACS!!!

kwood
Jul 31, 2007, 07:37 PM
My money is on an Ultra-portable flash based laptop. And the new iMac too. Mac Mini discontinued, which is a shame. It's a great computer, but overpriced.

I think so too, but I sure hope not. I would love to have one to put around and play some more decent games on. Oh how I miss thee Lego Star Wars I

thesdx
I'm sure you'll see a news report on a tv somewhere. Or just walk up to a fellow apple laptop user and ask. Most airports seem to have wireless somewhere or another. But if not, you're going to ITALY!!! Have fun!

cheers!

What a shame. Do you have an iPhone? You could use the airport's Wi-Fi.

That's the spirit! I wish the iPhone had never been born. I FRIGGIN' HATE ALL IPOD/IPHONE HYPE! I HATE IT!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE, GOD, NEW MACS!!!

LOL. :) Don't worry. New Macs are coming! I don't hate the iPhone hype, I just think Apple needs to give equal attention to it's Macs, iPods, and iPhone.

Rendition
Please God, let there be a Mac Pro update. If so, I would go to the Apple store Tuesday and BUY IT.

technocoy
I hope with all this talk of super thin and aluminum that the iMac will finally be able to come off it's stand to use as a tablet for sketchbook and painter, PS, AI, etc.

It's about time for these creative-oriented computers to start acting like it.

n00basaur
Today has been a great day for news it seems!

Azzurri15
Jul 31, 2007, 07:38 PM
Italy has Internet Cafes all over the place; although, most of them are running Windows. Also, most hotels I have been stayed at in Italy have a computer somewhere with Internet access.

I stay with my family in Southern Italy; I have yet to find a internet cafe in my town. I'll just have to bum it from my cousin's house. lol

MacJediDude
Jul 31, 2007, 07:38 PM
Bill Gates clicked negative after pooping his pants..... again :eek:

mr_matalino
Jul 31, 2007, 07:41 PM
Hopefully new Cinema Displays too! I hope it's not disappointing like the hi-fi/mac mini announcement!

Random Ping
Jul 31, 2007, 07:41 PM
Mac Mini discontinued, which is a shame. It's a great computer, but overpriced.

I don't think they would call a press conference to announce that they are discontinuing a product unless they have something really good to replace it (e.g., the iPod nano replacing their best selling iPod mini).

I think the Mac Mini was largely a testbed effort for Apple TV.

I have two Mac Minis, and I loan them to people thinking about buying a Mac. Sort of a "try for a few weeks before you buy" kind of thing.

Random Ping
Jul 31, 2007, 07:42 PM
I stay with my family in Southern Italy; I have yet to find a internet cafe in my town. I'll just have to bum it from my cousin's house. lol

Quick, buy an iPhone before you leave! :D

macrev
Jul 31, 2007, 07:43 PM
Aside from new iMac and iLife/iWork, I'm guessing we'll see an announcement of the date Leopard will ship.

Methinks that Leopard is ready to go and will come out next week on the new machines, or there will be a certificate for a free upgrade if you purchase before it actually gets released.

Random Ping
Jul 31, 2007, 07:45 PM
Please God, let there be a Mac Pro update.

I hope not :eek:. I have a new one that arrived yesterday, and I haven't even taken it out of the box yet!

thesdx
Jul 31, 2007, 07:46 PM
Methinks that Leopard is ready to go and will come out next week on the new machines, or there will be a certificate for a free upgrade if you purchase before it actually gets released.
Leopard is still somewhat buggy and isn't ready to be released. Besides, Apple is smart. If they release the iMacs with Tiger, then release Leopard, people will go out and buy Leopard. Apple will make more $$$.

WannaGoMac
appleinsider says nothing about steve jobs not being there, they mention him being there actually. Finally i can order a imac:):)

I was refreshing it and at one point it said that Steve Jobs would NOT be there. Guess I caught a typo ?

Maui

Fortunately, you can help avoid the hype by not mentioning those products you hate in threads about Macs.

LoganT
Jul 31, 2007, 07:47 PM

1) This isn't such a big event and no new iMacs will be released. I'm hoping this is the case frankly because why would they release new machines and include them with Tiger when Leopard is only 2 months away.

2) The event is for all the new iMacs and Steve just doesn't care about Macs and is going for the iPhone/New iPhone style iPod only at the moment, which i hope isn't the case. I mean if a new iMac design revision was coming out, surely Steve would want to be there to announce it! The Apple stock price would go up a lot more if Steve introduced a new iMac than if some normal Appl nutter did, lets face it.

They released the iMac G5 in 2004 without Steve. Stop hoping for bad things to happen.

puckhead193
Jul 31, 2007, 07:47 PM
could be something lame like a leather iphone case and speakers for the iphone...it happened before :p

Azzurri15
Jul 31, 2007, 07:48 PM
Quick, buy an iPhone before you leave! :D

Waiting for Iphone 2.0 :D

kungming2
Jul 31, 2007, 07:48 PM

Judging from the last build released one week ago, Leopard is still quite buggy and isn't even completely feature-frozen yet. It's not possible to be released on the new machines. :apple:

WannaGoMac
Jul 31, 2007, 07:50 PM
Engaget http://www.engadget.com/2007/07/31/apple-gathering-press-for-mac-event-next-week/

The event gets started on the morning of Tuesday, August 7th, and while we weren't promised an appearance by El Jobso, Apple was, shockingly enough, very open and clear about the fact that this is going to be a press gathering for Mac products....

DOUGHNUT
Jul 31, 2007, 07:51 PM
my guess is Apple will have a separate media event in September (after the educational promotion is over) to announce the new iPods.

MLeepson
Jul 31, 2007, 07:56 PM
Has Apple ever hosted an event at the Apple Town Hall? If so, what event?

Cybergypsy
Jul 31, 2007, 07:58 PM
New displays with isight :)

thesdx
Has Apple ever hosted an event at the Apple Town Hall? If so, what event?

Yes. Many products have been introduced. First iPod, 2nd-gen iBook G3, iPod Hi-Fi, Mac Mini CD, etc.

youngestchild
so ... if the imacs are announced next tuesday when do you think they'll ship? and more importantly (for me!) when will they ship in Australia?? I want to take advantage of a 30 month interest free deal but the offer runs out in the next week and a half! :eek:

Dany M
Jul 31, 2007, 07:59 PM
How long will it be before resellers get there hand on these?

ariel
Jul 31, 2007, 08:00 PM
/me prepares to stand in line at the apple store next tuesday

oh please don't let them announce new iMacs "available in October" or something like that! They better be available THAT DAY!

Wayfarer
Jul 31, 2007, 08:01 PM
**** YEA!!!!!!!!11111oneone

CANT WAIT!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D

No one could've expressed excitement better. :p

It's typical for Apple to reveal a small keynote to the media, seven days in advance. I'm excited that it's August 7th instead of September. :apple:

thesdx
Jul 31, 2007, 08:02 PM
I hope they are. I'm still saving up $$$ for an iMac, so I might not be able to buy it that day. Who knows? Maybe they'll give it a drastic price drop. If so, I'll be driving down to the Apple store the minute the Steve(or someone else)note is done!

autechre
Jul 31, 2007, 08:11 PM
OMG:eek: What to say? If this is what we all speculate it will be, I will be one very happy dude.

grafikat
Jul 31, 2007, 08:12 PM
My money is on an Ultra-portable flash based laptop.

Preachin' to the choir!
My Dream:

http://i13.tinypic.com/4zisnsn.jpg

KingofAwesome
Jul 31, 2007, 08:17 PM
lol. no.

Wow, that's pretty dismissive. Any particular reason why Apple wouldn't say "Leopard will be released on September 25th, and all Macs sold starting today will come with a voucher for Leopard"?

I think it is entirely possible. If they announce a new model, they know that a lot of users will wait until it comes with Leopard, unless it comes with a voucher of some sort.

MacTCP
Jul 31, 2007, 08:17 PM
I'm almost sure there will be updates to the iMac and Mac Mini. I hope that a new keyboard comes with it. I've also been waiting to see what the final Leopard requirements will be. They probably will not have that, though. It will be nice to see some Mac updates after :apple:TV and iPhone.

flopticalcube
Jul 31, 2007, 08:20 PM
Great. I go on a camping trip on the 7th. Oh well. I will check back when I return. New iMacs almost certainly. New mini or mini replacement, maybe.

inkswamp
Jul 31, 2007, 08:22 PM
Wait a second... when was the last time Apple did a special event just for redesigns of an existing product? Those things have always been crammed into existing events, right? But I can't think of an instance where a redesign got its own event. This is interesting. Steve Jobs himself has dropped lots of hints that there are a lot of great things coming for the Mac, and I'm a little hesitant to say that they would put on a special event just to unveil a new iMac case design.

I wonder if there might be something else coming along with the redesigned iMac. Hmmmm....

zioxide
Jul 31, 2007, 08:22 PM
Wow, that's pretty dismissive. Any particular reason why Apple wouldn't say "Leopard will be released on September 25th, and all Macs sold starting today will come with a voucher for Leopard"?

I think it is entirely possible. If they announce a new model, they know that a lot of users will wait until it comes with Leopard, unless it comes with a voucher of some sort.

Let them wait for Leopard then. Apple isn't going to give it away for free for everyone starting next week. There are still tons of people who would go out and buy a new iMac that day and then still spend $129 in October when Leopard is released. If they gave out vouchers, they would lose out on all of these sales of Leopard. If they don't give out vouchers, the worst that happens is a bunch of people wait 2 months before spending 2 grand on their iMacs.

kcroy
Jul 31, 2007, 08:24 PM
Any chance there will be a new iLife update soon? Can't wait to see the new iMac. As soon as Leopard arrives that will seal the deal for a new iMac upgrade. (Now...how will I explain this to my wife? Hmmmm.)

jabu31
Jul 31, 2007, 08:27 PM
I was getting antsy about the rumors of a new imac......but now there is an press event YAY!!!!!!!:rolleyes:
:rolleyes:I can now start dreaming of what ust might be updated, released, or so forth.:rolleyes:

Im hoping for a new ipod:p

But a new Imac might just be super duper too:eek:

KingofAwesome
Jul 31, 2007, 08:29 PM
Let them wait for Leopard then. Apple isn't going to give it away for free for everyone starting next week. There are still tons of people who would go out and buy a new iMac that day and then still spend $129 in October when Leopard is released. If they gave out vouchers, they would lose out on all of these sales of Leopard. If they don't give out vouchers, the worst that happens is a bunch of people wait 2 months before spending 2 grand on their iMacs.

I think that pushing sales back two months would be pretty bad. Announcing a new model today and a new OS in a few months is not a good way to sell a lot of those new machines. It's like announcing that a new iMac will be coming out in two months, but you can only buy the slower one for the same price until then - and with the notable exception of the iPhone and :apple:TV, they don't do this.

Besides, I'm not talking about giving it away for free for everyone starting next week. I'm talking about including a voucher for an upcoming OS release that will be bundled with $1K+ purchases. Nobody is going to buy a new iMac just because it will save them $129 in a few months, but anyone who is in need (or in want) of a new machine will be able to justify buying it now instead of in two months when the new models aren't as exciting.

knelto
Jul 31, 2007, 08:30 PM
I'm still wondering if there are any unknown features to Leopard. I'm not sure the "Top Secret" features were just a new desktop, stacks, or a new Finder. Surely there's gotta be more!

New iLife and iWork would also be awesome. Oh and some random thing called the iMac, whatever that is. Let's get a new one of those.

ezekielrage_99
Jul 31, 2007, 08:35 PM
iImagine.... it's anything you want it to be ;)

Peace
Jul 31, 2007, 08:36 PM
If this is to show off the new iMac.And I'm guessing it is.I can guarantee you Steve Jobs AND Jonathan Ives will both be there.
This is a radical industrial change for the iMac and the designers want to show it off.

looking4anotebo
Jul 31, 2007, 08:40 PM

Point 1 goes out the window when you realize they might throw in coupons for leopard.

kbrain2929
Jul 31, 2007, 08:41 PM
If this is to show off the new iMac.And I'm guessing it is.I can guarantee you Steve Jobs AND Jonathan Ives will both be there.
This is a radical industrial change for the iMac and the designers want to show it off.

You know (from prior experiences) that Phil will be thrown in there some where... lol.

Random Ping
Jul 31, 2007, 08:44 PM
I'm still wondering if there are any unknown features to Leopard. I'm not sure the "Top Secret" features were just a new desktop, stacks, or a new Finder. Surely there's gotta be more!

If they want to get it tested before being released, they better get it out the door really fast. It is getting very late.

RadioStar
Jul 31, 2007, 08:45 PM
We're almost two years without an iPod update.

Steve planning on doing anything about that anytime soon?

zioxide
Jul 31, 2007, 08:47 PM
We're almost two years without an iPod update.

Steve planning on doing anything about that anytime soon?

Yes, but not next week at this event which is specifically for a Mac announcement.

New iPods will come in the fall.

Rocketman
Jul 31, 2007, 08:47 PM
I'd like to see new Mac computer hardware ANYTHING.

And I feel sorry for the mods that have to merge all these threads...

Ummm. They CHOOSE to. It is slightly overdone.

hatcher146
Jul 31, 2007, 08:48 PM
i kinda was hoping for new iPods....:(...oh well.

any mac news is good news! cant wait!

cmonster
Jul 31, 2007, 08:50 PM
It's like Christmas! You know it's coming but you don't know what your going to get!
LOL

Rocketman
Jul 31, 2007, 08:51 PM

Succession planning. Steve has moved on to iPhone, iPhone-wimax and Apple DVR :)

Rocketman

pazreal
Jul 31, 2007, 08:51 PM
First time poster long time lurker. Traditionally speaking, if new products are announced, how long until you can actually possess them in the following scenarious:

Event is at 10AM PST (I believe), probably runs an hour,

-Apple stores in Seattle open at 9:30AM PST, will the product be available that day at opening or not until the next day?

-If ordering online is the product available for ordering right after the presentation?
Sub point:
If they announce on the 7th that the products go on sale on the 14th for example, is there the ability to place the order on the 7th as a means to get a place in the shipping que?

-Using the MBP as reference from a few months ago; Did people who placed orders right after the announcement have a projected shipping wait of 3-4 weeks and then that corrected itself to a few days shortly thereafter or did it indeed take that long to get them in hand?

Sorry for so many questions and scenarios, but I am hoping to make the right strategic choice in order to have an iMac before classes start on the 20th. I happen to be going through a city with an Apple store next week otherwise there are none to be found near me.

Thanks in advance for what I am sure will be your expert opinions.

-Cheers

MacGeek Pro
Jul 31, 2007, 08:52 PM
I am really hoping for iWork updates next week. iLife, that'd be nice too, but since iPhoto is the only program I use in iLife (for now) I'm not as excited for that. I might get excited if iWeb becomes more like RapidWeaver.

All that said, one thing that seems to get forgotten in the rumor cycle is .Mac. Personally, I don't use .Mac. There are features of .Mac that I would like to use, especially when Leopard becomes available. However, the price of the service just doesn't allow me to get overly excited for it. Now, if they dropped the price to $50 per year (or better yet, free) I'd be on board. Time will have to tell whether or not .Mac becomes an attractive purchase.

RadioStar
Jul 31, 2007, 08:52 PM
Yes, but not next week at this event which is specifically for a Mac announcement.

New iPods will come in the fall.

Yeah, that's kinda what I was driving at.

I don't really care about iMacs, so this is a bummer for me. :(

Nym
Jul 31, 2007, 08:58 PM
You guys are posting like crazy!

Everytime I click "Next" there's one more page of posts :D

Anyway, great news and about time they released some new iMac's!

I'd love to see a Mac Mini price drop and re-design and a new flash based MacBook :)

Anyway, where's that crew that always comes into threads saying:

"IT'S NOT MAC! It's Mac!"

Too bad I won't be near a computer on the 7th, guess I'll just have to ask someone to check Apple.com and tell me the good/bad news!

hatcher146
Jul 31, 2007, 08:59 PM
Yeah, that's kinda what I was driving at.

I don't really care about iMacs, so this is a bummer for me. :(

dido. just got a new mac this summer and was looking forward to getting a new iPod...guess i'll have to wait for the fall. :( oh welll i love mac news

looking4anotebo
Jul 31, 2007, 08:59 PM

You should consider the situation a little more. They will sell new imacs, that is a given. The question is how many reluctant buyers will they have who decide NOT to buy until the machine comes with Leopard? It is not unfathomable that a chunk of those people never end up buying the imac for whatever reason. (can't afford one in a few months, find something better, etc)

It is a perfectly legit worry.

Wild-Bill
Jul 31, 2007, 09:00 PM
August 7th = Mac Pro one year old. The better update the damn thing already.

hollywoodmacguy
Jul 31, 2007, 09:02 PM
New displays with isight :)

Could it possibly be true??? :):):)

mrkramer
Jul 31, 2007, 09:03 PM
First time poster long time lurker. Traditionally speaking, if new products are announced, how long until you can actually possess them in the following scenarious:

Event is at 10AM PST (I believe), probably runs an hour,

-Apple stores in Seattle open at 9:30AM PST, will the product be available that day at opening or not until the next day?

-If ordering online is the product available for ordering right after the presentation?
Sub point:
If they announce on the 7th that the products go on sale on the 14th for example, is there the ability to place the order on the 7th as a means to get a place in the shipping que?

it isn't always the same amount of time until the products are shipped, but you are always able to order them as soon as the store comes up after the keynote. Even if iMacs are in the stores later that day they would not be in the stores half an hour before they are announced, more likely they would be there the next day.

cleanup
Jul 31, 2007, 09:04 PM
Personally I'm hoping for new iPods but I guess it's more likely to be new iMacs. Oh well. It'll be nice to see what Apple comes up with.

DaBrain
Jul 31, 2007, 09:11 PM
Personally I'm hoping for new iPods but I guess it's more likely to be new iMacs. Oh well. It'll be nice to see what Apple comes up with.

That bug you have under your name really had me going--)))) I thought some critter found its way into my iMac--))))

Good one! :D

jawzzy
Jul 31, 2007, 09:14 PM
Haha, I almost blew on my screen before realizing the bugger wasn't real.

Anyways, WOOOOOOOO!! I can't wait, can't wait. Finally!

cleanup
Jul 31, 2007, 09:16 PM
Teeheehee. I love my avatar.

gadgetgirl85
Jul 31, 2007, 09:16 PM
uhhh...exclusively mac.

iMac, iLife/iWork and maybe some extra Leopard demos?

Sorry my bad :)

noel4r
Jul 31, 2007, 09:17 PM
Very happy that they will finally release something Mac related but very unhappy that I wont be able to afford it.

Peace
Jul 31, 2007, 09:19 PM

I know it's off topic but I've been mesmerized by that avatar.First time I actually thought i had a real "bug" in my display.
Good job!
:)

rockthecasbah
Jul 31, 2007, 09:20 PM
A bit disappointing because I had been hoping for an full size iPod update (even though in the back of my mind I thought it was unlikely...). Here's to September! *raises fist in air* :)

mustang_dvs
Jul 31, 2007, 09:21 PM
Good. My new job was planning on buying me a new Mac for my office on August 8th. :D

grafikat
Jul 31, 2007, 09:22 PM

No doubt....I just found a bug like that on my desk, and thought he'd gotten up on my screen !

neven
Jul 31, 2007, 09:27 PM
Oh yes. Right after pay day.

Say, anyone in the market for a mint-condition PowerBook G4 1.5 GHz with 2 GB of RAM? :)

FoxyKaye
Jul 31, 2007, 09:30 PM
About FRACKING time.

I wonder which Macs are in need of an update? Oh, I know, ALL of them except for the laptops. Let's take a stroll down the Buyer's Guide lane:

* Mac Mini - Last release: September 6, 2006
* iMac - Last release: September 6, 2006
* Mac Pro - Last release: April 4, 2007 (if you actually count this, since it was nothing but a speed bump)
* XServe - Last release: August 7, 2006

It would be so nice if Apple spent even one day NOT yammering about the iPhone. Oh, wait, it can't because it's sunk so much of its staff time and resources into it that Leopard and the entire desktop lineup are suffering and they need a distraction. Pay no attention to that year-old technology behind the curtain...

Somehow, I knew this kind of thing was going to happen this year when Apple ceased being Apple Computer and became a "lifestyle" company. They'd better hit a home run next week, I'm so sick of hearing about the iPhone.

150hp
Jul 31, 2007, 09:31 PM
I gave up waiting for the new iMacs a while ago & have been quite happy with my C2D 20"

That said, I am terribly excited to see what's announced.

Finally, some Mac excitement...

Zwhaler
Jul 31, 2007, 09:37 PM
Wirelessly posted (LGE-VX9900/1.0 UP.Browser/6.2.3.2 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

Damnit! I have a class to take that day from 10-5pm. I guess ill find out the news when i get home.

RobMccormack
If They Are Announced On Your Side Of The Pond On The 7th

How Long Before They Will Be In The U.K?

Anyone Know From Previous Updates?

Please...

Muzzway
LYK OMIGOSH!!SHIFT111 :apple: :D

-

Quite a bit of news today...

maxrobertson
Jul 31, 2007, 09:44 PM
That would really suck, because I JUST freaking bought a MacBook!

phillipjfry
Jul 31, 2007, 09:51 PM
dear god please be a new version of the MM
i did the "rub MM on paper vigorously" method of cleaning it out and a small tiny metal piece fell out :(
Also http://www.gizmowatch.com/images/future_imac1.jpg just looks freaking sick!

the next six days are going to be LOOONG!

hollywoodmacguy
Jul 31, 2007, 09:52 PM
[QUOTE=FoxyKaye;3985970]About FRACKING time.

I wonder which Macs are in need of an update? Oh, I know, ALL of them except for the laptops. Let's take a stroll down the Buyer's Guide lane:

* Mac Mini - Last release: September 6, 2006
* iMac - Last release: September 6, 2006
* Mac Pro - Last release: April 4, 2007 (if you actually count this, since it was nothing but a speed bump)
* XServe - Last release: August 7, 2006

Completely, completely agree. And what about the poor, neglected Cinema Displays that were introduced in 2004 (!) and have barely received updates since, except for modest spec enhancements and a price break?? :(

I know ACDs are peripherals, but they are WAY overdue for a refresh/redesign... Anyway, please :apple: - it would be a GREAT surprise! :)

Taylor C
Jul 31, 2007, 09:56 PM
I don't think there's any question of if there will or will not be hardware updates. Mac OS X Leopard hasn't changed since WWDC, at least not in a big enough way to release it based on the current development release. iLife/iWork updates are a definite possibility, but I would be extensively surprised if there weren't any hardware revamps.

Peace
Jul 31, 2007, 09:57 PM
If Apple was going to introduce a bunch of different stuff it would be in a theatre environment.

No new displays yet.This is the new iMac.

aswitcher
Jul 31, 2007, 10:03 PM
New form factor iMac, maybe iLife08.

CBAviator
Jul 31, 2007, 10:04 PM
FINALLY! Now...if all this hype is for a new iPod then I think I'll just have to jump the cliff.

Hoping for new iMacs once and for all!!!

hollywoodmacguy
Jul 31, 2007, 10:11 PM
No new displays yet.This is the new iMac.

I'm sure you're right and I am excited about the new iMacs. It's way past time to replace my parents' aging, original (blue bubble) iMac that is still (very slowly) running Classic. :)

Perhaps the new Cinema Displays will FINALLY come in October as a cool way to showcase Leopard??? :rolleyes:

gamerz
Jul 31, 2007, 10:12 PM
At this event, will Apple:

1. announce the release date for in October to match the release of leopard, and tell us what it specs are?

OR

2. Actually release the imac on august 7th.

queshy
Jul 31, 2007, 10:13 PM
HOW EXCITING!!! I cant wait!!!!
I wont even be buying one and im excited!! bring it on!

Peace
Jul 31, 2007, 10:13 PM
HOW EXCITING!!! I cant wait!!!!
I wont even be buying one and im excited!! bring it on!

Oh I agree!! I can't wait to see the new design.

kwood
Jul 31, 2007, 10:20 PM
dear god please be a new version of the MM
i did the "rub MM on paper vigorously" method of cleaning it out and a small tiny metal piece fell out :(
Also http://www.gizmowatch.com/images/future_imac1.jpg just looks freaking sick!

the next six days are going to be LOOONG!

I hope I am not the only one who thinks this new design (mock up) its impractical. I would get distracted all the time by what is going on behind the display.

WannaGoMac
Jul 31, 2007, 10:20 PM
That would really suck, because I JUST freaking bought a MacBook!

So? Macbooks have almost a 0% chance of being replaced.

RobMccormack
Jul 31, 2007, 10:21 PM
I Eagerly Await The New Design Also.

But Im Wondering How Long After The U.S Release It Will Out In The U.K.

ClimbingTheLog
Jul 31, 2007, 10:21 PM
Apple still makes Macs? :p

I want to take advantage of a 30 month interest free deal but the offer runs out in the next week and a half!

They have that deal to clear out old inventory. Do the math. :(

You know (from prior experiences) that Phil will be thrown in there some where... lol.

Anybody who can throw Phil must be quite impressive! :D (sorry, Phil, I know you read this board - we kid because we love)

About FRACKING time.

ooh, is there a BSG tie-in with the new iMacs? Trapezoidal iMac? ;)

God^Cent
Jul 31, 2007, 10:30 PM
Ok, first time posting long time lurking... I have an idea what if apple:apple: not only does a re-make of the imac but also re-does the apple remote? They could add Analog Devices, infrared (to the remote) and a sensor bar to the supposed new keyboards or imac screen and have wii like functionality on a mac:)

Soooo what do you ppl think plausible or not?

Note: apple did hint at becoming more gaming oriented.:apple:

AtHomeBoy_2000
Jul 31, 2007, 10:33 PM
figures.... I'll be internet inaccesable for Aug 7-9.

youngestchild
Jul 31, 2007, 10:36 PM
ClimbingTheLog
They have that deal to clear out old inventory. Do the math. :(

well, it's a department store that sells anything from electronics to bedroom furniture and out door settings, and the deal covers everything in the store so i doubt the offer is just based on clearing out old imacs.... the deal runs out the sunday after the special event on tuesday.. so i'm just wondering how long between announcement and actually being able to order ...

boss1
Jul 31, 2007, 10:46 PM
Please join me in a moment of silence for Mac mini..........

:::sniffle:::::

...may it rest in piece and join the company of iSight and G4 cube.

davekarn
Jul 31, 2007, 10:50 PM
Please join me in a moment of silence for Mac mini..........

:::sniffle:::::

...may it rest in piece and join the company of iSight and G4 cube.

What do you mean about iSight? Are they getting rid of this feature??

Edit: My bad just Googled and saw that there was a non-built in version..sorry!

cyberddot
Jul 31, 2007, 10:57 PM
Yea! We actually saved for this! The drought is ending and we finally get to retire a g4, move the g5 to the 'browsing' space and make room for the first Intel processor, wrapped in a big 24" iMac.

4God
Jul 31, 2007, 11:00 PM
Great. :( Now what am I gonna do with the new 24" iMac that's supposed to arrive on my doorstep thursday morning? :mad:
Looks like it's back to the marketplace threads again.....

age1366
Jul 31, 2007, 11:01 PM
My problem is I am off to school August 11th and I need to get one of these new imacs BEFORE I leave. Does anybody know from past experience when these will be available at the apple store. In New York will they be on sale on Tuesday? or even Wednesday?!

Can't wait!

AaronOcean
Jul 31, 2007, 11:04 PM
My problem is I am off to school August 11th and I need to get one of these new imacs BEFORE I leave. Does anybody know from past experience when these will be available at the apple store. In New York will they be on sale on Tuesday? or even Wednesday?!

Can't wait!

They will probably ship/be available within days.

I'm so excited to see what they're going to do with this product. The problem is, I keep imagining it as an Apple Cinema Display just a bit thicker. There's no way to simplify a design that minimal.

matticus008
Jul 31, 2007, 11:11 PM
Stores usually won't have product available that day, unless it's a relatively minor product update that they could ship in without raising suspicions. Then again, if it's something major and they've got inventory on hand, we might hear of some "DO NOT OPEN" deliveries on the 6th. If that doesn't happen, it'll probably be a while.

No; that would defeat the purpose of them going on sale on the 14th. They'd be available to order on the 14th in that case. Apple almost always makes new products for sale the same day, though. It's just ship times that are way out there.

Right now, if I ordered another MBP, I wouldn't have it for at least two weeks. If there were a new model launched, I'd probably be waiting even longer. If you need it by the 20th, I wouldn't wait much past the 8th to order. The lead times tend to be fairly accurate.

ooh, is there a BSG tie-in with the new iMacs? Trapezoidal iMac? ;)
Yep! They cut the corners off and beat the hell out of it to make it look like Galactica's hull.

aspro
Jul 31, 2007, 11:17 PM
I can't wait to see what direction Apple is going to be taking design wise, I am sure I will be impressed!

NewSc2
Jul 31, 2007, 11:23 PM
Conclusive proof that the G5 Powerbooks will be here Next Tuesday.

DoFoT9
Jul 31, 2007, 11:24 PM
OMGZ OMGZ OMGZ OMGZ OMGZ OMGZ OMGZ!!!!

this is a w s o m e!!!!

CBAviator
Jul 31, 2007, 11:29 PM
I hope I am not the only one who thinks this new design (mock up) its impractical. I would get distracted all the time by what is going on behind the display.

I don't think its so much impractical as it is "ahead of its time." It'll be a while before we see this sort of design in an iMac. With that being said, if by some miracle of God I was wrong and this was released, well, it would be amazing.

twoodcc
Jul 31, 2007, 11:33 PM
thank goodness! but the only bad thing is my girlfriend is getting a macbook (taxfree) and a nano also this weekend. if a new macbook gets released, maybe take it back?

lodenmuse
Jul 31, 2007, 11:41 PM
I thought something was up when I noticed yesterday that several high-profile Apple Stores (5th Ave., Michigan Ave., etc.) have no in-store classes scheduled for 3-4 days in a row this week... Is this unusual? Or will I find my Apple Store cloaked in black canvas this week? :rolleyes:

Oh, and about that grassy knoll...

DoFoT9
Jul 31, 2007, 11:44 PM
reckon the new 'stuff' will be avaliable in all countries at the same time??? cauz judging by the ifone i wont get an imac until 2009, just kidding.. but its annoying

irun5k
Aug 1, 2007, 12:01 AM
could be something lame like a leather iphone case and speakers for the iphone...it happened before :p

Yeah, honestly. I still wonder to this day what was the deal was with announcing a crappy $50 leather case and a big rectangular hunk of plastic crap speakers that was supposed to replace the home stereo system of audiophiles?

I mean, I think back and wonder... was it actually April 1? Did Jobs get confused and THINK it was April 1? Was it some kind of other joke that nobody got? Definitely one of the stranger moments I've ever seen with Apple.

bluedevil14
Aug 1, 2007, 12:02 AM
im buying one as soon as theyre announced to replace my old PB 12"

puuukeey
Aug 1, 2007, 12:11 AM
better not be like the last "media event" FOOEY

MacFly123
Aug 1, 2007, 12:33 AM

I know this is basically an iMac thread, but seriously what is going to happen to the Mini??? Where are the rumors about that or what will replace it??? I'm really starting to wonder what Apple will do with their lower end of the product spectrum.... :confused: Does anyone have any insights??? Please share!!!

P.S. What the he!! happened to new Cinema Displays and iSight??? Will those come when the MacPro is updated again???

metallicaisgood
Aug 1, 2007, 12:33 AM
Great. :( Now what am I gonna do with the new 24" iMac that's supposed to arrive on my doorstep thursday morning? :mad:
Looks like it's back to the marketplace threads again.....

Couldn't you just return it to Apple?

Either way I got an iMac 20 inch in May and it's a great computer. Runs every program I use fine including photoshop. So unless you care a lot about the new design and extra power no reason to send it back either. iMacs have mobile components anyways so they'll never be as powerful as a computer with desktop components.

kenaustus
Aug 1, 2007, 12:48 AM
I can see a new iMac being announced - that's almost a given.

My concern is with the Mac mini. It's been a great entry level computer for those considering a Mac and I would hate to see that level of product closed out. I would love to see a refreshed mini, plus a mid level for the current mini users that want to move up - but not all the way to a Mac Pro.

Then there is the one more thing and the ultra lite notebook would be perfect. Due to costs it would probably be a MBP level notebook, but from my past experiences with a 3 pound ThinkPad (before I switched years ago) I have no doubts it would be a strong seller, easily replacing the 12" PB.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a new MP released when Leopard is released - buy I'm not sure what intel has in store for Apple in that time frame.

I guess the main question is how much Apple wants to replace at one time. The more products Apple puts out at one time the less media attention each will get. My bet is the iMac and ultra Lite now, with a new mini (and midi?) at Paris and a new MP when Leopard comes out.

As for the iSuites, I would be just as happy with Apple waiting until Leopard is released - especially if Apple comes out with a "You Can Have It All" promotion: Leopard + iLife 08 + iWork 08 (dingle computer or Family Pack) at a special price. Hopefully iWork would finally replace Apple Works in full.

mathwhiz90601
Aug 1, 2007, 12:52 AM
I'm thinking:

New iMacs! :D:D:D:D:D Finally!!!!!
New Mac Minis! Yay! Switchers will have a wonderful machine to switch to!
New Mac Pros! C'mon, 8 core wasn't that much of an update...

LED 17" MBP and all MB! Why not?
New Keyboard to go with the new iMacs!
New Multi-touch mouse! :D

No internal laptop update though.

New iLife/iWork!

Can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ibn.
Aug 1, 2007, 12:55 AM
come on 12 inch mac book pro....

a mac mini cube would also be great.

mathwhiz90601
Aug 1, 2007, 12:56 AM
Jobs will be there. AI says so, plus there's no way in hell Apple will release a completely new iMac without Jobs being there.

SJ could be in for surgery again, like at the iMac G5 introduction. :P Does the US health system count as hell? :D

mathwhiz90601
Aug 1, 2007, 01:02 AM

Probably Digital Skunk. So negative.

ClimbingTheLog
Aug 1, 2007, 01:02 AM
the font looks weak, but maybe it's the iPhone font insanity that's gone to their heads.

http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/9240/imaceventnd2.jpg

mathwhiz90601
Aug 1, 2007, 01:08 AM
Yes, Praise The Lord!!!!!!

You have such a great sense of humor. You can't see the word God or Lord without getting on your high horse and posting how much you love Richard Dawkins. Way to start a flame war.

"The Lord" that is referred to in this sense is Steve Jobs. Obviously.

mschmitt
Aug 1, 2007, 01:09 AM
"There have been distinct phases in Apple's designs during Ive's time in charge. The first appeared in 1998 with the release of the original iMac."

TheMacMan17
Aug 1, 2007, 01:12 AM
this is so great!!!!!!
i have been waiting for this for a long time and now i am finnaly goingto purchase a Mac i am tired of my pc and i'm selling it on ebay as sson as i get my new imac!!!:):D:D:D:D

i love :apple: products and
i love :apple: :D

macus3r
Aug 1, 2007, 01:13 AM
the font looks weak, but maybe it's the iPhone font insanity that's gone to their heads.

Weird Invite

Is that seriously the invite? It looks like a freshman's attempt at using photoshop.

Also, what's with the rollercoaster ride going down?... shouldn't they be climbing up to the top?

Maybe I should turn designer mode off for a bit. :p

yoyo5280
Aug 1, 2007, 01:16 AM
Is that seriously the invite? It looks like a freshman's attempt at using photoshop.

Also, what's with the rollercoaster ride going down?... shouldn't they be climbing up to the top?

Um.... Okay....Not the best invite iv ever seen.:o:eek:

ClimbingTheLog
Aug 1, 2007, 01:18 AM

No idea, just a link that was going around. The font isn't right either - what are they using, Myriad or some variant of it now for corporate stuff? I'd expect a more Leopard-packaging font, not an iPhone-screen font for an iMac event.

As for the roller coaster - hey, that's the fun part of the ride!. :)

vkxonline
Aug 1, 2007, 01:19 AM
Now, go here: http://richarddawkins.net/

haha, I almost fell out of my chair when I saw that.

macus3r
Aug 1, 2007, 01:19 AM
Um.... Okay....Not the best invite iv ever seen.:o:eek:

I guess what I mean to say is that image is so very stock photo-ish.

It's very unusual... apple typically has all these hot-pants images for their press invites.

yoyo5280
Aug 1, 2007, 01:21 AM
I know. And when I first looked at it I thought it WAS FROM 1998.

matticus008
Aug 1, 2007, 01:21 AM
There are some text-depth issues, but that's because it's a scrape. This is not designed to print quality or to print standards if it's real. They're likely going for contrast and email compatibility--not to mention that this isn't strictly speaking a public image. Most companies would send a simple text email.

Edit: On the other hand, I can't recall seeing that Apple logo used in quite some time.
Well, since you turned designer mode on...

They're going over the top and also you pick up speed on the descent, so an ascending coaster would signify losing momentum. Also, from a design standpoint, you capture them from this direction so you can see their faces. There's no off-anterior way to capture that otherwise.

The good news is that this undoubtedly refers to the iMac. I guess we'll see if 2007 will be as radical.

masterfu
Aug 1, 2007, 01:22 AM
I'm thinking:

New iMacs! :D:D:D:D:D Finally!!!!!
New Mac Minis! Yay! Switchers will have a wonderful machine to switch to!
New Mac Pros! C'mon, 8 core wasn't that much of an update...

LED 17" MBP and all MB! Why not?
New Keyboard to go with the new iMacs!
New Multi-touch mouse! :D

No internal laptop update though.

New iLife/iWork!

Can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This might be a bit optimistic, but man would it be sweet!

ClimbingTheLog
Aug 1, 2007, 01:26 AM
There are some text-depth issues, but that's because it's a scrape.

Ah, that could explain the poor font-substitution problem. Can you really position text like that in HTML e-mail (new Leopard feature?)? I have no idea, I read all of my mail as text...

macus3r
Aug 1, 2007, 01:27 AM
They're going over the top and also you pick up speed on the descent, so an ascending coaster would signify losing momentum. Also, from a design standpoint, you capture them from this direction so you can see their faces. There's no off-anterior way to capture that otherwise.

http://www.themeparkreview.com/fltrip/bgt/gwazi4.jpg

I was thinking... maybe a vantage point like this would've illustrated the feeling of "here we go again!"

:D

JGF0x
Aug 1, 2007, 01:27 AM
I hope with all this talk of super thin and aluminum that the iMac will finally be able to come off it's stand to use as a tablet for sketchbook and painter, PS, AI, etc.

It's about time for these creative-oriented computers to start acting like it.

This would be insanely awesome. Unfortunately I doubt Apple has progressed this far in multi-touch development already. Plus it wouldn't work very well in 20" and 24" sizes unless they make small versions (15.2", 17") for the iMac.

As stated above I think this style of screen is too far ahead of our current technology although I would be super impressed if they ever came out with something like that! In this photo (http://www.gizmowatch.com/images/future_imac3.jpg) the screen becomes completely solid so you can't see the other side implying that in this concept the only time you can see through the screen is when the screen is in energy saver mode (like when it decreases brightness right now). That all being said it's unlikely that this concept is real even more so because everyone keeps reporting there will no longer be a "chin". I've always assumed the "chin" everyone was talking about was the bottom of the stand the screen rests on. Just my two cents!

Wild-Bill
Aug 1, 2007, 01:35 AM
Probably Digital Skunk. So negative.

Why would ANYONE click negative for this story??? 18 negatives. What's wrong with these people? Maybe some upset iMac owners who just purchased and will be out of the 14 day window by August 7th???

(here's hoping we see an update to the aging [year and a half] old video cards in the Mac Pro. 8800GTX FTW!!!!)

mathwhiz90601
Aug 1, 2007, 01:37 AM

"There have been distinct phases in Apple's designs during Ive's time in charge. The first appeared in 1998 with the release of the original iMac."

They're going to go back to beige boxes! This is the new iMac!

TheScavenger
Aug 1, 2007, 01:40 AM
I am going to be out of town on the 7th too. Thankfully my phone has WiFi :D

WildPalms
Aug 1, 2007, 02:00 AM

Why goodbye mini?

masterfu
Aug 1, 2007, 02:05 AM
mathwhiz90601, that is a sweet iMac. But... the new Mini is even better:

matticus008
Aug 1, 2007, 02:09 AM
Ah, that could explain the poor font-substitution problem. Can you really position text like that in HTML e-mail (new Leopard feature?)? I have no idea, I read all of my mail as text...
Sure. With HTML email, you can use tables or in-line CSS to format your message over a background message. It's not unique to any computing platform but rather to web browsers generally.

Of course, I don't know that that has happened here. The font choice is odd and that "glass" logo doesn't usually appear in their daily affairs. The "we are located on Infinite Loop" is unprofessionally worded and totally superfluous. Everyone who would be invited already knows. Hell, everyone who lives within 30 miles knows where it is...and some of us have been inside!

I was thinking... maybe a vantage point like this would've illustrated the feeling of "here we go again!"
Certainly, but that's far too busy for such a small scale. Simplifying it too much wouldn't make much sense--it'd just look like a train track in the air. I don't think they failed to put the right idea into the minds of their audience, and I doubt anyone pays as much conscious attention as your or I have ;).

k2k koos
Aug 1, 2007, 02:13 AM

Has to be an iMac then, wasn't 1998 the year of the iMac introduction, or was that '97?
:apple:

k2k koos
Aug 1, 2007, 02:15 AM
Any thoughts on why the invite shows a rollercoaster? Is it just because Apple is in a roller coaster ride as a company (see it's stock), or is the iMac design roller coaster inspired? ...:apple:

Manic Mouse
Aug 1, 2007, 02:19 AM
An early release of Leopard (to go along with iLife and iWork 08) would be nice.

MacFly123
Aug 1, 2007, 02:20 AM
Someone please tell me, if they do release iLife '08 to ship right away, will it come preinstalled on my MacBook Pro when I order it next month??? If not will it come with Leopard or will I have to buy Leopard AND iLife '08 separate??? :(

yoyo5280
Aug 1, 2007, 02:23 AM
Has to be an iMac then, wasn't 1998 the year of the iMac introduction, or was that '97?
:apple:
It was 98:):)
Any thoughts on why the invite shows a rollercoaster? Is it just because Apple is in a roller coaster ride as a company (see it's stock), or is the iMac design roller coaster inspired? ...:apple:
Haha, you never know

curmi
Aug 1, 2007, 02:24 AM
Blue roller coaster...Blu-ray built in

Oh yes, you heard it here first. :)

Seriously though, for Apple to go all "roller coaster", you'd expect this to be a radical redesign of the iMac.

Then again, they also promised "top secret" Leopard features. :D

nuxx
Aug 1, 2007, 02:26 AM
The font choice is odd and that "glass" logo doesn't usually appear in their daily affairs.

Looks like the logo on the Tiger login screen. Is this invite for real?

~n

Evangelion
Aug 1, 2007, 02:33 AM
Italy has Internet Cafes all over the place; although, most of them are running Windows.

That's bad, since you can't use Windows to check Apple-related news and rumors.

DaiKirai
Aug 1, 2007, 02:34 AM
Why would ANYONE click negative for this story??? 18 negatives. What's wrong with these people? Maybe some upset iMac owners who just purchased and will be out of the 14 day window by August 7th???

I clicked negative because the iMacs should have been updated at WWDC. My summer vacation was wasted! :rolleyes:

AaronOcean
Aug 1, 2007, 02:40 AM

It's a metaphor for the ride that it's been.

They took the picture at the Santa Cruz (Home! :p) Beach Boardwalk, it's about an under an hour from Cupertino.

Project
Aug 1, 2007, 03:06 AM
Also, the best part of a rollercoaster is when you are going down.

But yeah, that might be the worst Apple invite I have ever seen. Must have been the intern :)

matticus008
Aug 1, 2007, 03:12 AM
Looks like the logo on the Tiger login screen. Is this invite for real?

~n
That is the official company logo at the moment. It is not, however, usually used in their media dealings and publications. Instead, it's usually the simple silhouette one (as used in commercials, previous invites, invoices, letterhead mailings from the non-executive parts of the company, the hardware, packaging and documentation, and so on).

I don't know that it is real. "Infinite Loop" is a metonym for Apple Headquarters, so if they were to refer to it in an invite, it would be "at" Infinite Loop and not "on Infinite Loop, Cupertino." But maybe the copy editor was hung over. There's nothing else "on" Infinite Loop to confuse people--it's really just a paved moat around a complex off de Anza.

tomd89
Aug 1, 2007, 03:14 AM
That invite can't be genuine, nothing is in the apple style.

Mac Heretic
Aug 1, 2007, 03:22 AM
Me too doubt if it is real. Besides, why would they go back to CRT technology :) .

ImperialX
Aug 1, 2007, 03:28 AM
If there will be a new iMac, I would seriously consider getting the 24" model instead of the MBP :apple:

AppleMatt389
Aug 1, 2007, 03:44 AM
Preachin' to the choir!
My Dream:

http://i13.tinypic.com/4zisnsn.jpg

that honestly has to be one of teh ugliest things ive EVER seen. well thats a big statement, but its pretty goddam ugly. if apple released this..firstly i would disembowel myself..then i would suspect a merger with microsoft..in fact..endorse a merger.

august 7th cant come soon enough.

rcha101
Aug 1, 2007, 03:46 AM
1. With more and more people switching to Macs (we always hear the statistics, 50% of buyers were first time mac buyers etc etc) I would not be surprised if the mac mini is discontinued. I suspect switchers are buying imacs and macbooks especially as the price difference is not that much, you get current specs and you get an entire system. Also, with the apple tv to handle media functions which was another prime use for the mini I really can't see a niche for it. 50%

2. Imac refresh - definitely, available on the day

3. Ilife refresh - definitely

4. Iwork refresh - definitely

3-4 I believe will be covered but may not necessarily be available on the day.

5. Update on leopard, again not available on the day (though I wish it was)

6. I would like to see a refresh to the macbook pros poss adding a bluray drive but rate this very unlikely.

R

superlatic
Aug 1, 2007, 03:50 AM
AppleInsider was told, and Gizmodo confirms, that the event will be restricted exclusively to Mac announcements. In speaking to journalists by phone, Apple representatives were reportedly very clear in expressing that no iPhone or iPod product announcements were in the cards.

Note the plural, mac announcements

I think new imac is definately a given
Incremental mac pro update would defo not rule out, esp as on the 7th the mac pro will be 1 yr old
Think maybe a mini refresh or replacement

And possibly a release date for leopard (id say october 31st at the earliest)

KurtangleTN
Aug 1, 2007, 03:52 AM
I really wonder about what the new iMac may look like, I keep thinking it won't top the G4.. and won't be that radical new design.. but reports have said it is.. so I'm excited, this week will snail by.

My main wants

1. New iMac, of course
2. Mac Mini update
3. Leopard vouchers

I know I'll need a new Mac soon, and don't want to have to pay for Leopard, and I'd rather have the latest version of iLife, but wouldn't buy it.

Manic Mouse
Aug 1, 2007, 03:52 AM
AppleInsider was told, and Gizmodo confirms, that the event will be restricted exclusively to Mac announcements. In speaking to journalists by phone, Apple representatives were reportedly very clear in expressing that no iPhone or iPod product announcements were in the cards.

Note the plural, mac announcements

I think new imac is definately a given
Incremental mac pro update would defo not rule out, esp as on the 7th the mac pro will be 1 yr old
Think maybe a mini refresh or replacement

And possibly a release date for leopard (id say october 31st at the earliest)

Apple aren't going to delay Leopard again. They said October, so October it'll be.

Project
Aug 1, 2007, 03:55 AM
I was pretty sad to see the G4 iMac go, and will be with the G5/Intel model. I get the feeling this one is going to be really sick though.

Just a shame that I dont do desktops anymore.

Mekgek
Aug 1, 2007, 04:06 AM
I want a new mini!!!

raykhrud
Aug 1, 2007, 04:12 AM
Not that crappy macbook keyboard! No, Steve, no!

yoyo5280
Aug 1, 2007, 04:12 AM
I think all you people underestimate the power of the mini (okay...not all)

To get rid of it IS like getting rid of all the elementary-middle school students who use it. It is a cheap (or was) machine that has enough power for media,fun, and school. No middle schooler will fork up $1,000 for an iMac $500 for a mini is much better. If not mini, they would all go for dell or HP.

LUV UR MAC MINI
AND IT WILL LUV U!

:apple::apple::apple:

BoyBach
Aug 1, 2007, 04:30 AM
I Eagerly Await The New Design Also.

But Im Wondering How Long After The U.S Release It Will Out In The U.K.

The online Apple Stores around the world will 'go down' for the updates and come back 'online' at around the same time.

So, all being well, you should be able to order a new Mac on Tuesday night.

ABM
Aug 1, 2007, 04:59 AM
The online Apple Stores around the world will 'go down' for the updates and come back 'online' at around the same time.

And hopefully the European sites will get same new design as well then.

steve_hill4
Aug 1, 2007, 04:59 AM

So, all being well, you should be able to order a new Mac on Tuesday night.

I think you have to go some time back to find a Mac that was released in the US before the rest of the world. Could be wrong.

With all the Apple desktops and laptops that have been announced whilst I've been working in retail for the last three years, the only one I recall taking a significant amount of time to hit our 3rd party shelves was the mini. That took just over a month from announcement. All the others have been in stock within a couple of weeks. Since the UK is another big market for Apple, I can't see them delaying any iMac launch in Europe.They have with the iPhone but that is largely due to contractual agreements.

willybNL
Aug 1, 2007, 05:06 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Multiple sites are reporting that Apple has called the media to its Cupertino headquarters next Tuesday, August 7th at 10am PDT. The reports indicate that the event will be strictly Mac-related.

Rumors have been indicating that the iMac is set for a dramatic refresh on that date (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/07/17/imac-revision-and-ilife-on-august-7th/).

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/07/31/apple-event-august-7th/)

Guys: next Tuesday, August 7th at 10am PDT.....

10AM PDT == ??? for the rest of the world. Hit it with a link to change times!!

ncbill
Aug 1, 2007, 05:32 AM
Apart from the iPod, I mean.

With a week to go, and NO firm specs on a new iMac (much less pics of a new CPU design), I'm starting to worry about seeing Mac hardware updates prior to Leopard.

At best we've got a keyboard which could be:

shipping next week, -or-
a prototype that won't ever see the outside of the development lab

basbr
Aug 1, 2007, 06:03 AM
Guys: next Tuesday, August 7th at 10am PDT.....

10AM PDT == ??? for the rest of the world. Hit it with a link to change times!!

This helps: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

10AM PDT = 07:00PM UTC+2 hours CEST (Paris, Brussels, Amsterdam); or better known as I'll-be-introduced-to-my-new-computer-during-dinner-time.

letaalio
Aug 1, 2007, 06:04 AM
There are going to be a LOT of dissapointed people because of over-hyping it..

Gav
Aug 1, 2007, 06:24 AM
Is everybody forgetting something here? Personally, I think it could be an update to DOT Mac.

Well, thats what I'm hoping for anyway :D

Just remember though, the iPhone keynote was supposedly 'All Mac' too...

headfuzz
Aug 1, 2007, 06:29 AM
Don't you see?

Powerbook G5's next Tuesday! :D

dazzer21
Aug 1, 2007, 06:36 AM
I've just checked Intel's website and they state that the fastest Core2Duo (laptop) processor (T7700) currently available tops out at 2.4GHz - the fastest iMac at present runs at 2.33GHz. Regardless as to what the new one is going to look like, there must surely also be a speed bump of more than 70MHz?

So what are the chances of it having a laptop Core2Quad? Even at a slower clock speed, it should be faster, surely. It's 64 bit (like the duo) so Leopard should fly on it. Thoughts?