PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Update 1.0.1 Released

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Jul 31, 2007, 07:41 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Also released (via iTunes) is iPhone Software 1.0.1. Apple simply describes the update as containing "bug fixes", and does not indicate any additional functionality at this time.

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2007/07/31/iPhoneUpdate101_400.jpg

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/07/31/security-update-2007-007-iphone-update-1-0-1-released/)

edcrosay
Jul 31, 2007, 07:44 PM
iPhone update is installing now... and taking a long time. Kinda scary.

Bradley W
Jul 31, 2007, 07:45 PM
_

smccostlin
Jul 31, 2007, 07:45 PM
Could this be in preparation for more content?

mickeymikey
Jul 31, 2007, 07:46 PM
Love verbose detail of "bug fixes".

katanna
Jul 31, 2007, 07:46 PM
From ApplePhoneShow.com:
"The first thing I noticed thatís different is the weather icon is updated to reflect the actual temperature and conditions."

Right about now I wish I had an iPhone!

Matthew

tvguru
Jul 31, 2007, 07:47 PM
From ApplePhoneShow.com:
"The first thing I noticed thatís different is the weather icon is updated to reflect the actual temperature and conditions."

Right about now I wish I had an iPhone!

Matthew

Because of the weather icon is updated?! ;)

jwa276
*scurries to grab iPhone cable*

Man, I feel like I've been waiting for this for a long time... Time to grab a beer and hope that it's not a big disappointment!!

:eek:

Flynntoo
upgrades soon?!

edcrosay
Jul 31, 2007, 07:49 PM
Just installed it. Progress bar on the phone's display was a nice touch.
Is working fine. It does not update the weather icon as katanna noted.

siurpeeman
Jul 31, 2007, 07:49 PM
it definitely is a lot more stable. i've been browsing safari listening to music for the past 20 minutes (at least). not a crash yet. pretty impressive.

Luis
Jul 31, 2007, 07:50 PM
it does not affect hacks already done in iphone... (for the curious out there)

EDIT: 400th post!

smccostlin
Jul 31, 2007, 07:50 PM

Somehow this does not surprise me about the weather icon... people get so crazy sometimes... lol

FreeState
Jul 31, 2007, 07:52 PM

The update does not do this. The icon is the same - 73.

drater
Jul 31, 2007, 07:52 PM
Somehow this does not surprise me about the weather icon... people get so crazy sometimes... lol

mine doesn't show the current weather in the weather icon...:mad:

Ricky Smith
Jul 31, 2007, 07:55 PM
Mine crashed and had to go into recovery mode then took its sweet time updating again.

coolbreeze
Jul 31, 2007, 07:56 PM
7.1 MB of "bug fixes"

meh, better than nothing.

Still no to-do list...sigh.

siurpeeman
Jul 31, 2007, 07:57 PM
has the date on the iphone calendar always reflected the current date? :confused: :eek:

bytethese
Jul 31, 2007, 07:58 PM
If you used iFuntastic, don't install this update. I think I have to restore my phone. :/

EDIT: Had to restore phone, it's downloading a 91.2MB file. I assume the 1.0.1 package as a whole. A message informed me I will loose all my music, etc on the phone. Glad I have everything backed up...

EDIT2: All mail was lost on my iPhone, needed to redownload. I now have 70 new mails to go thru. I also lost all my voicemails on my phone, but they seemed to have downloaded as well. WiFi, Voicemail and Gmail passwords needed to be re-entered.

EDIT3: Lost all my photos on my Camera Roll. Be sure to import them via iPhoto before making any adjustments to your iPhone! This way should Apple's next update require a restore, you will have everything.

coolbreeze
Jul 31, 2007, 07:59 PM
has the date on the iphone calendar always reflected the current date? :confused: :eek:
Yes, but the weather icon doesn't show current conditions. :confused:

rishio
Jul 31, 2007, 08:03 PM
The first thing I noticed is the emails open up a lot faster. I used to have to wait for a while to open up emails..

Can anyone else confirm this?

coumerelli
Jul 31, 2007, 08:04 PM

Maybe because the weather never changes there? ;)

- From St. Louis -- Home of a thousand weathers.

jphall
Jul 31, 2007, 08:05 PM
I swore I'd wait several days after the iPhone update came out to let you bleeding edge folks take care of the testing, but I notice I'm now reaching towards the dock to put my iPhone into it...... , must resist, must not do it.... , don't do it! ::grin::

I'll give you guys another hour and then I'll decide.

Joel.

Edit: It says I'm a newbie, can you believe it? Just because I don't post anymore, I just read? And I haven't lived in Boulder for more than two years? As you can see, I'm celebrating 5 years as a macrumors newbie!

ryanide
Jul 31, 2007, 08:08 PM
my Yahoo! mail used to display at the end something to the effect of "25 more messages... click to load" and there never were any messages there. This is now gone.

I think others had complained about this also.

It does seem faster overall. Can't wait to see what else we get!!
:)

Starfall
Jul 31, 2007, 08:09 PM
From ApplePhoneShow.com:

Apparently it's 73 degrees and sunny wherever the Apple Phone Show is based.

applehero
Jul 31, 2007, 08:10 PM
Did anyone else notice that it was a firmware and software update?

katanna
Jul 31, 2007, 08:11 PM
Apparently it's 73 degrees and sunny wherever the Apple Phone Show is based.

Ya, as I said, I was only quoting him. I have since replied to his post. Too bad, it got MY hopes up.

http://applephoneshow.com/index.php/archives/632

Matthew

izzle22
Jul 31, 2007, 08:13 PM
Did anyone notice the new symbol next to the batt. symbol at the top, it's like a little phone. Was it there before? If not what is it?

Ahhhh. Figured it out it's TTY what ever that is?? I turned it on by with out knowing.

applehero
Jul 31, 2007, 08:15 PM
Did anyone notice the new symbol next to the batt. symbol at the top, it's like a little phone. Was it there before? If not what is it?

All I have next to the battery symbol is the bluetooth symbol. I don't see anything new.

somberlaine
Jul 31, 2007, 08:16 PM

I dont see one. U mean while the phone is docked?

voicegy
Jul 31, 2007, 08:17 PM

Yes, it has. I always thought that was a nice touch, wish the CLOCK icon showed the right time as well, but I suppose that could be forgiven as the time is always shown on top.

This was a LONG process - needed a restore (assume this is normal for an update?) - then needed to re-sync everything (at least it does this from a back-up.)

I'm an iFuntastic fan - I added ringtones, rearranged my icons, changed the AT&T logo to an :apple: logo....IT WIPED ALL THAT OUT. :mad:

Wiped out all the extra Weather cities I had entered. :mad:

Wiped out my default mail.

Hmmmm....I guess that's what a RESTORE does, eh? Wonder if you can update the iPhone without doing a restore? The process seemed to force me to do it....

Kinda bummed....

rishio
Jul 31, 2007, 08:18 PM
Oh wow!

I don't know if I'm imagining things but now it seems that the iPhone plays sounds through BOTH the speaker and the mic and not just one of them.

Somebody please verify this! I swore it only played sound through one side before...

/dev/toaster
Jul 31, 2007, 08:18 PM
No weather icon update :( ... who ever sad it was updated, you sure it isn't 73 degree where you are ?

/dev/toaster
Jul 31, 2007, 08:19 PM
Yes, it has. I always thought that was a nice touch, wish the CLOCK icon showed the right time as well, but I suppose that could be forgiven as the time is always shown on top.

This was a LONG process - needed a restore (assume this is normal for an update?) - then needed to re-sync everything (at least it does this from a back-up.)

I'm an iFuntastic fan - I added ringtones, rearranged my icons, changed the AT&T logo to an :apple: logo....IT WIPED ALL THAT OUT. :mad:

Hmmmm....I guess that's what a RESTORE does, eh? Wonder if you can update the iPhone without doing a restore? The process seemed to force me to do it....

Kinda bummed....

I didn't need to restore ... only took a few minutes and I was off and away.

mickeymikey
Jul 31, 2007, 08:20 PM
Still early, but it looks like the phone is connecting to "known" but "hidden" wifi networks better. Previously, I would often have to re-enter the details for hidden networks, such as the one at my home. The update seems to have resolved this.

jmingin
Jul 31, 2007, 08:21 PM
Took 4 minutes from beginning of download until phone was working again. Did not change the temperature icon but that would be cool :)

Seems faster...

damienvfx
Jul 31, 2007, 08:21 PM

Kinda bummed....

Seems to be running ok for me (about half way through after only a minute). I'm running this on a mac. Are you on a PC maybe?

bytethese
Jul 31, 2007, 08:22 PM

Kinda bummed....

Yeah, see my post above. I used iFuntastic too, had to restore mine as well. It's syncing 6GB worth of data now. Glad to know to I am going to lose my mail stuff etc. :(

mitchlandry
Jul 31, 2007, 08:22 PM
Wireless encryption entry changes made
Going to wi-fi, using wep encryption. Only entry is password.
Looks like they eliminated the password or ascii/hex option.

Hope this doesn't mess with any of my saved wi-fi connections, if not have to re-enter them as password i guess

Cameront9
Jul 31, 2007, 08:24 PM

Kinda bummed....

Tuaw has been reporting that the reason for the reason is iFuntastic. If you didn't use that, you should have to do it.

jamesnajera
iTunes is going to check for iPhone updates on 8/7/07 maybe they will release another update around then... but I am not expecting anything till Leopard.

izzle22
Yeah, see my post above. I used iFuntastic too, had to restore mine as well. It's syncing 6GB worth of data now. Glad to know to I am going to lose my mail stuff etc. :(

How did you know you had to restore? Did the phone display it or did you just not wait long enough? Just curious for future reference.

spimp31
Jul 31, 2007, 08:25 PM

Why would you lose your mail stuff? My mail is always in sync with what is on my exchange and pop3 accounts. I wouldn't lose any mail if my iPhone crashed, I'd just have to re-sync it.

My update ran quickly, maybe 3-4 minutes on a Core Duo iMac. Working great!

voicegy
Jul 31, 2007, 08:25 PM
Seems to be running ok for me (about half way through after only a minute). I'm running this on a mac. Are you on a PC maybe?

A Mac. Always have, always will. :p

I think I may have been confused - I honestly don't remember if I was *forced* to restore the iPhone, or I was just *asked* to, with an opt-out. (Of course, my iPhone is *unholy* since I iFuntastic'ed it, so maybe I didn't have a choice.) Would be good to hear from anyone else if they felt they HAD to restore or didn't restore or the option or command to restore didn't even come up.

In the meantime, I'll just happily set things back and fiddle around a bit - I don't stay :mad: long.:rolleyes:

Trekkie
Jul 31, 2007, 08:26 PM

Yep, nice touch I thought.

bytethese
Jul 31, 2007, 08:27 PM
How did you know you had to restore? Did the phone display it or did you just not wait long enough? Just curious for future reference.

I knew after the update crashed and I got a popup that I would have to restore. :) I figured since iFuntastic messes with teh phone, the update might kill my phone and looks like it did. It's still syncing. Not too much of a big deal, but I want to try iFuntastic again after my phone is restored.

skillz1318
Jul 31, 2007, 08:27 PM
i used ifuntastic too...downloading update now...91mb...going really slow...then ill restore

i restored once before and it saved all my settings/email it was really great...even remembered how far into a song i was when i went back into ipod mode

bytethese
Jul 31, 2007, 08:28 PM
Why would you lose your mail stuff? My mail is always in sync with what is on my exchange and pop3 accounts. I wouldn't lose any mail if my iPhone crashed, I'd just have to re-sync it.

My update ran quickly, maybe 3-4 minutes on a Core Duo iMac. Working great!

Because the person who I was respoding to was also an iFuntastic user, said he lost his mail settings, etc. Since I used iFuntastic, and am experiencing teh same issues, I am guessing I will see teh same behavior. We shall see after it's done syncing I guess.

bigdog
Jul 31, 2007, 08:31 PM
As you can see, I'm celebrating 5 years as a macrumors newbie!

You and me both, though I'm surprised to see someone who posts less than I do.

The iPhone user guide (http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/iPhone_User_Guide.pdf) (PDF Link!) was updated today. I don't have the original, so could someone with the first edition compare for changes?

heyjp
Jul 31, 2007, 08:31 PM
Bug fixes I've noticed thus far:

Google Maps: Before, if you used your fingers to stretch and expand a map, if you touched the URL or bottom bar, the map would shoot off to a new center. Very disconcerting. It doesn't do that now.

Calculator: The calculator used to do an annoying thing when you launched it and started punching numbers. Sometimes it would start concatenating to the end of whatever number was already on the screen from previous usage. Now, when launched, if you start tapping numbers, they replace what was already there. Nice.

Ear volume: My Iphone had "reasonable" volume in the ear speaker. It seems to be significantly louder. i tend to drop it down to 4 or 5 in normal room environment instead of 8 or so. Very nice.

Ipod Speaker volume: I can now play songs louder without as much distortion through speaker on bottom of phone. nice.

Ipod playing while surfing: Before, it you started the iPod playing and started surfing in Safari, within minutes especially if browsing a heavy javascript page, the music would crash and quit playing. I've been surfing and podding for 20 minutes with no crash. Very, very nice.

I'm happy! :) :p

Jim

odHbo
Jul 31, 2007, 08:33 PM
Finished my update.

No restarts required. I'm testing out the iPod while surfing Safari. Hopefully that and the On-The-Go playlist crashing were fixed.

So far, everything is great!:D

bytethese
Jul 31, 2007, 08:33 PM
Bug fixes I've noticed thus far:

Google Maps: Before, if you used your fingers to stretch and expand a map, if you touched the URL or bottom bar, the map would shoot off to a new center. Very disconcerting. It doesn't do that now.

Calculator: The calculator used to do an annoying thing when you launched it and started punching numbers. Sometimes it would start concatenating to the end of whatever number was already on the screen from previous usage. Now, when launched, if you start tapping numbers, they replace what was already there. Nice.

Ear volume: My Iphone had "reasonable" volume in the ear speaker. It seems to be significantly louder. i tend to drop it down to 4 or 5 in normal room environment instead of 8 or so. Very nice.

Ipod Speaker volume: I can now play songs louder without as much distortion through speaker on bottom of phone. nice.

Ipod playing while surfing: Before, it you started the iPod playing and started surfing in Safari, within minutes especially if browsing a heavy javascript page, the music would crash and quit playing. I've been surfing and podding for 20 minutes with no crash. Very, very nice.

I'm happy! :) :p

Jim

Wow, those are some awesome fixes! I was concerned abotu volume and have been editing my mp3's to adjust for volume increase of about 25%. The iPod while browsing crashes were REALLY annoying me. Good to hear that seems to be fixed!

jamesgatz
Jul 31, 2007, 08:34 PM
Has anyone lost their ability to use wifi? I can still connect via settings, but when I surf, it just uses edge and edge. Tested by making a phone call and trying to surf - didn't let me. Tried powering down and forgetting network and reconnecting.. Strange.

insocal
Jul 31, 2007, 08:35 PM
Seems like no one has noticed this and it isn't even listed in the new DOCS ONLINE.

There is now the OPTION in MAIL SETTINGS to BCC YOURSELF on all mail. It used to be CC. Don't know why it isn't listed in the UPDATED MANUAL which is actually dated as AUGUST 1 so maybe it'll be in there tomorrow? Anyway, just thought I'd point it out for people.

Essefgy
and it is taking a while. especially halfway thru, the updates gets even slower. be patient guys!

Thank you. I was getting worried but I knew you guys would talk me through it.

And there, it's restarting now. Yay.

izzle22
Because the person who I was respoding to was also an iFuntastic user, said he lost his mail settings, etc. Since I used iFuntastic, and am experiencing teh same issues, I am guessing I will see teh same behavior. We shall see after it's done syncing I guess.

If you add phone numbers in your iPhone but not in address book will it back those up also?

Essefgy
Jul 31, 2007, 08:37 PM
Seems like no one has noticed this and it isn't even listed in the new DOCS ONLINE.

There is now the OPTION in MAIL SETTINGS to BCC YOURSELF on all mail. It used to be CC. Don't know why it isn't listed in the UPDATED MANUAL which is actually dated as AUGUST 1 so maybe it'll be in there tomorrow? Anyway, just thought I'd point it out for people.

No, I'm pretty sure it was BCC before. I was already using it.

SirOmega
Jul 31, 2007, 08:39 PM
the only thing I noticed so far is that when I went to add another email account it defaulted to using SSL and not plaintext for message retreval and sending, which makes sense though now I need to go and see if my mail server supports SSL.

insocal
Jul 31, 2007, 08:44 PM
No, I'm pretty sure it was BCC before. I was already using it.

I actually had someone verify it before they UPDATED and it was CC before.

p0intblank
Jul 31, 2007, 08:44 PM
Even if this update is just for fixes, it's better than nothing. :D I hope this means a real software update in the very near future.

somberlaine
Jul 31, 2007, 08:45 PM
yahoo push seems to work better. I've had a delay but now they arrive almost instantly. ANyone else noticed this?

n00basaur
Jul 31, 2007, 08:48 PM
I actually had someone verify it before they UPDATED and it was CC before.

yeah that seems to be going on in here too:

http://www.everythingiphone.com/forum/iphone-software/official-iphone-software-update-1-01-discussion-7591.html

scotty588
Jul 31, 2007, 08:52 PM
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306173

izzle22
My battery level now goes all the way to the top and the small batt icon at the top has a plug inside telling me it's fully charged. It's never done this on my phone!

voicegy
Thanks to you all for your comments and insights...yeah, I'm more calm now. Looks like there's a pattern for iFuntastic fans during this update - ya gotta restore. Oh well, just takes a bit to put everything back the way I want it (including the wallpaper, fer cryin' out loud!)

When I mentioned I "lost my mail" what I really meant was that I just had to choose my client again - it came up with the choices (.mac, yahoo mail, etc.) so I chose .mac, entered my user name and password again, and the mail came FLYING in - gotta admit, it seemed wicked fast. So no big deal there.

Had to re-enter the password for my home Wi-Fi. No biggie. (again, this sort of stuff is prolly expected with a *restore* - some (most?) of you good folks out there didn't need to *restore* as the update noticed that My Precious needed an Exorcism.;) What-Ev.

Ah yes, since I don't have CONTACTS in my address book on my computer, only on the iPhone, guess what else got wiped out? Boy, am I learning a lesson here....

I haven't noticed louder speaker volume, either in the earpiece or the built-in bottom speaker. Everything else nominal.

Nall
Jul 31, 2007, 08:55 PM
iTunes is going to check for iPhone updates on 8/7/07 maybe they will release another update around then... but I am not expecting anything till Leopard.
iTunes is set to check automatically every week or so -- I would not read this as a recommendation of when the next update might come.

brinycbri
Jul 31, 2007, 08:59 PM
i'm trying to restore, and it takes forever!!! like .1mB per 15 seconds...great job apple!

bdj21ya
Jul 31, 2007, 09:00 PM

Thank you very much, plugging iPhone in now.

bytethese
Jul 31, 2007, 09:00 PM
Thanks to you all for your comments and insights...yeah, I'm more calm now. Looks like there's a pattern for iFuntastic fans during this update - ya gotta restore. Oh well, just takes a bit to put everything back the way I want it (including the wallpaper, fer cryin' out loud!)

When I mentioned I "lost my mail" what I really meant was that I just had to choose my client again - it came up with the choices (.mac, yahoo mail, etc.) so I chose .mac, entered my user name and password again, and the mail came FLYING in - gotta admit, it seemed wicked fast. So no big deal there.

Had to re-enter the password for my home Wi-Fi. No biggie. (again, this sort of stuff is prolly expected with a *restore* - some (most?) of you good folks out there didn't need to *restore* as the update noticed that My Precious needed an Exorcism.;) What-Ev.

I haven't noticed louder speaker volume, either in the earpiece or the built-in bottom speaker. Everything else nominal.

All my mail was deleted on my phone. It started downloading my mail again and now everything is marked as new. Way NOT what I wanted. now I have to go thru 70 emails to see what I want and what I don't. UGH! :P

bdj21ya
Jul 31, 2007, 09:03 PM
Well, for me, with custom ringtones, custom home icon positions, and custom Carrier logo hacks applied, attempting to install this update resulted in iTunes deciding that my iPhone had to be restored (and the iPhone agrees, believe me, I tried to get around a restore). Oh well, I guess that's how things go when you apply unsupported hacks.

megfilmworks
Jul 31, 2007, 09:04 PM

EDIT: 400th post!Thanks, I was wondering if it would change my ringtones or reposition my home screen icons.

megfilmworks
Jul 31, 2007, 09:05 PM
Well, for me, with custom ringtones, custom home icon positions, and custom Carrier logo hacks applied, attempting to install this update resulted in iTunes deciding that my iPhone had to be restored (and the iPhone agrees, believe me, I tried to get around a restore). Oh well, I guess that's how things go when you apply unsupported hacks.Did you loose your ringtones after the restore?

chrisleeroth
Jul 31, 2007, 09:07 PM
My battery level now goes all the way to the top and the small batt icon at the top has a plug inside telling me it's fully charged. It's never done this on my phone!

What the hell are you talking about... I have not noticed anything... please explain...

nacengineer
Jul 31, 2007, 09:09 PM
Can't see any difference.

No problems however I use the OS X OS. My guess is its probably just a fix of the samba security issues and a few minor glitches. Nothing to see here I guess...

Give me more to do with my iPhone please, Apple! :)

Dave

bytethese
Jul 31, 2007, 09:11 PM
Did you loose your ringtones after the restore?

I did.

But the settings for each contact still list the ringtone I had. Going to try iFuntastic again...

izzle22
Jul 31, 2007, 09:11 PM
What the hell are you talking about... I have not noticed anything... please explain...

A lot of people were complaining(including me) that the large green battery on the charge screen never went all the way full(a small amount of space on the right) mine never went totally full even if I charged it over night, now it does. I also never had a plug show up inside my small batt symbol at the top when it was fully charged, now I do.

lyrred
Jul 31, 2007, 09:14 PM
ok, I had to restore prolly cuz of the iFuntastic hack....thats fine. but now my edge won't connect...I can't get it to connect to my wifi and my visual voicemail is gone and won't work! crap crap crap

donlphi
Jul 31, 2007, 09:16 PM

That's interesting. It synced last night without a problem. Then when I went and did the update, it said this phone could not be updated and would not connect again until I restored it. So I restored it. Now I'm waiting for my music and stuff to sync again. HOPEFULLY I can get back in there and put those custom ringtones back in. Unfortunately, I lost a lot of pictures I forgot to take off first.

OOPS...

Any iFuntastic experimenters have any issues with the update?

chrisleeroth
Jul 31, 2007, 09:18 PM
A lot of people were complaining(including me) that the large green battery on the charge screen never went all the way full(a small amount of space on the right) mine never went totally full even if I charged it over night, now it does. I also never had a plug show up inside my small batt symbol at the top when it was fully charged, now I do.

So the small batt on the top left goes from charging (lightning bolt) to a small plug?

izzle22
Jul 31, 2007, 09:20 PM
So the small batt on the top left goes from charging (lightning bolt) to a small plug?

Yes now it does. It never did before, for me anyway.

mickhyperion
Jul 31, 2007, 09:21 PM
I notice that the iTunes window no longer opens up in the background whenever the iPhone is reconnected. That was annoying.

insocal
Jul 31, 2007, 09:22 PM
PASSWORD LOCK can also now be set to REQUIRE PASSWORD up to 1 HOUR. Also a new feature.

megfilmworks
I think I may wait until I see how you iFuntastic folks do with your re install after the restore. I like my ringtones too much.

bdj21ya
Did you loose your ringtones after the restore?

Oh yeah, of course, restore wipes the flash drive, only stuff backed up through iTunes is still the same. But, of course if iFuntastic still works, I'll just put them back on after I'm finished restoring.

powerbook911
Jul 31, 2007, 09:24 PM
My screen is much darker after the update :(

lyrred
Jul 31, 2007, 09:25 PM
ok... I reset network settings... the iphone rebooted...now it all works. I was about to loose it.:D

bdj21ya
Jul 31, 2007, 09:25 PM
That's interesting. It synced last night without a problem. Then when I went and did the update, it said this phone could not be updated and would not connect again until I restored it. So I restored it. Now I'm waiting for my music and stuff to sync again. HOPEFULLY I can get back in there and put those custom ringtones back in. Unfortunately, I lost a lot of pictures I forgot to take off first.

OOPS...

Any iFuntastic experimenters have any issues with the update?

Yeah, Luis' experience seems to be unique among the iFuntastic users here. Everyone else is having to restore.

bdj21ya
Jul 31, 2007, 09:26 PM
ok... I reset network settings... the iphone rebooted...now it all works. I was about to loose it.:D

Yeah, that would be pretty frustrating. Glad to hear it righted itself.

btallada9870
Jul 31, 2007, 09:26 PM
what happens if you didn't use ifuntastic but you used jailbreak and manzua or whatever its called. I also used iPhone ringtone maker. Basically is the restore required just for people who used Ifuntastic or all hacks?

bdj21ya
Jul 31, 2007, 09:28 PM
My screen is much darker after the update :(

How can you even tell? Are you using automatic brightness? It may be that they tweaked the settings.

pilotkev1
Jul 31, 2007, 09:29 PM
what happens if you didn't use ifuntastic but you used jailbreak and manzua or whatever its called. I also used iPhone ringtone maker. Basically is the restore required just for people who used Ifuntastic or all hacks?

all

iBookG4user
Jul 31, 2007, 09:37 PM
it definitely is a lot more stable. i've been browsing safari listening to music for the past 20 minutes (at least). not a crash yet. pretty impressive.

Even before this update I was able to do that, I even made a thread about it a week or two ago.

lmcintyre
Jul 31, 2007, 09:42 PM
any one know if the hack to use older sims (cingular) still works after the update?

genshi
Jul 31, 2007, 09:44 PM

Yes now it does. It never did before, for me anyway.

It always did for me after only 3 hours or so of charging...

bdj21ya
Jul 31, 2007, 09:45 PM
Even before this update I was able to do that, I even made a thread about it a week or two ago.

Right, but for a lot of us it was happening pretty consistently. I'd guess it had a lot to do with which sites you were frequenting. I definitely had troubles before the update, haven't had a chance to test it after.

iQuit
Jul 31, 2007, 09:47 PM
my main issue was fixed, which is listening to music while browsing Safari. (without crashing of course) :)

verniesgarden
Jul 31, 2007, 09:52 PM
Maybe because the weather never changes there? ;)

- From St. Louis -- Home of a thousand weathers.

nice to know i have a neighbor on here!

I'm out past St. charles, mo

and i can contest, we have cray weather here in the midwest, think heart of winter with 30 degrees one day 70 the next...

bdj21ya
Jul 31, 2007, 09:53 PM
My weather icon just stays at sunny and 73 degrees, nothing like conditions here.

alep85
Jul 31, 2007, 09:56 PM
nice to know i have a neighbor on here!

i'm out past st charles, mo

Hello from St. Charles/Edwardsville (St. Charles is my hometown, Edwardsville when I'm at college)!

bdj21ya
Jul 31, 2007, 10:01 PM
So, I've reapplied my iFuntastic hacks, they all work just beautifully! Good to be back on the Apple network (http://picasaweb.google.com/brentjensen/AppleLogos)!
http://lh5.google.com/brentjensen/RqxYVOgcXjI/AAAAAAAAArk/7iYKeb_8GrQ/Original1.png

:D

mduser63
Jul 31, 2007, 10:07 PM
my main issue was fixed, which is listening to music while browsing Safari. (without crashing of course) :)

Not fixed here... I was able to reproduce it within 1 or 2 minutes. Just like before, start iPod playing, then fire up Safari and browse around a little, and the music stops/crashes.

EDIT: Maybe I was wrong, but it will take a while to say for sure. Haven't been able to get it to crash again so far...

EDIT2: Well, unsurprisingly, just after the last edit, bot iPod and Safari crashed at the same time.

tigerphilosophy
Jul 31, 2007, 10:10 PM
Reading the license agreement is scary. I do not understand if I am in violation:

My husband and I (each) have our own MacBook Pro laptops and we each have iPhone...but I load music from my MacBook Pro for both phones. Last time (yesterday) the software in iTunes asked me if I "wanted to load, or whatever the word was, from this ***user account ***.

Is the software going to be like Big Brother and catch or ruin my music because his phone has music that has come off of my laptop? Is the implication that we should have 2 music cds of the same music we both like --- kind of like the laptops "seeing" over the wifi network that one copy of MS Office running simultaneously on both laptops is against their rule one copy per user (since one person cannot simultaneously have two copies actively running)...it is a ramble... my apologies. Anyone else share these concerns and or have ideas? Ann Marie :confused:

ryanide
Jul 31, 2007, 10:10 PM
I noticed there is an "Assign Ringtone" when editing a contact. Was that always there??

verniesgarden
Jul 31, 2007, 10:13 PM
well i don't see either the safari or security update in "software update" and when i try to update safari with the manual download it says my volume doesn't meet the requirements.

dr_lha
Jul 31, 2007, 10:16 PM
I noticed there is an "Assign Ringtone" when editing a contact. Was that always there??
Yes.

nsbio
Jul 31, 2007, 10:16 PM
I want a G5 iPhone :eek: so that it will simultaneously (i) run classic applications and (ii) reheat my food on a camping trip. :D

javaGuru
Jul 31, 2007, 10:17 PM
I think people are reading too much into this update. Apple explicitly stated that it was only to fix security issues. I have yet to see anything that's different on my iphone. I have even seen a post where someone claimed that both speakers at the bottom were now working. Unless this update turned the microphone at the bottom into a speaker I don't think this is very likely. I have seen posts where something was fixed or changed only to read another post where the same thing was actually not fixed or changed at all. Now I see where listening to music while browsing the web was actually not fixed for some iphones. I happen to believe that for the most part these updates only apply to security issues due to the fact that the update was 1.01. If it were a larger update it would have been atleast 1.1. These are just my opinions and thoughts on the update.

CJD2112
Jul 31, 2007, 10:18 PM
Finished downloading and got an error that stopped the update. Now its in recovery mode.

Same exact thing is happening to me right now.

Any chance you modded your phone like mine?

MDMac
Jul 31, 2007, 10:19 PM
The last time I checked, Safari 3 started a fight with my iChat. Anyone know if that's been fixed?

CJD2112
Jul 31, 2007, 10:20 PM
If you used iFuntastic, don't install this update. I think I have to restore my phone. :/

EDIT: Had to restore phone, it's downloading a 91.2MB file. I assume the 1.0.1 package as a whole. A message informed me I will loose all my music, etc on the phone. Glad I have everything backed up...

EDIT2: All mail was lost on my iPhone, needed to redownload. I now have 70 new mails to go thru. I also lost all my voicemails on my phone, but they seemed to have downloaded as well. WiFi, Voicemail and Gmail passwords needed to be re-entered.

Yup, I used iFuntastic and it crashed and had to recover. Wonder if Apple planned this for those modders lol...

TC Schiller
Jul 31, 2007, 10:21 PM
I was talking on my iPhone while the update began installing. It never prompted me to hang up, so I thought perhaps it would install in the background quietly no problem.

I was wrong.

The update froze halfway through, hanging up my call. I resorted to a force-reset, and upon restarting, it couldn't find a network. Then a message popped up:

REPAIR REQUIRED: iPhone cannot make or receive calls

Ugh, so yeah, restarted again, this time normally. It never booted up again, but instead came up with a yellow caution sign telling me to connect to iTunes.

It's in recovery mode now, pending a 91 MB software download so it can restore itself. I hope there's no damage that a restore can't fix..

Nall
Jul 31, 2007, 10:22 PM
any one know if the hack to use older sims (cingular) still works after the update?
I'm not sure what hack you're referring to, I activated with my existing Cingular SIM (rather than the AT&T one provided) and the phone still works after the update.

izzle22
Jul 31, 2007, 10:24 PM
I was talking on my iPhone while the update began installing. It never prompted me to hang up, so I thought perhaps it would install in the background quietly no problem.

I was wrong.

The update froze halfway through, hanging up my call. I resorted to a force-reset, and upon restarting, it couldn't find a network. Then a message popped up:

REPAIR REQUIRED: iPhone cannot make or receive calls

Ugh, so yeah, restarted again, this time normally. It never booted up again, but instead came up with a yellow caution sign telling me to connect to iTunes.

It's in recovery mode now, pending a 91 MB software download so it can restore itself. I hope there's no damage that a restore can't fix..

Why would you ever talk on your phone while it was updating????

javaGuru
Jul 31, 2007, 10:25 PM

This is the same question I was about to ask. I would never talk on the phone or use it since the firmware and software is going to be erased and updated.

Jonescobbs
Jul 31, 2007, 10:27 PM
It now has options for 1, 5, 10, 15, 30 and 60 minutes unstead of just 1 - which is awesome BTW. Sorry if someone has mentioned this already.

dr_lha
Jul 31, 2007, 10:28 PM
I was wondering the same thing. Firmware updates are definitely "don't touch and pray" experience for me. I wouldn't even entertain the idea of trying to use the damn thing while the install was occurring. I think the poster got what he deserved! ;)

izzle22
This is the same question I was about to ask. I would never talk on the phone or use it since the firmware and software is going to be erased and updated.

Nor would I drive my car while the oil was being changed:p

texasmafia
For those who are too lazy to read the whole thread,

IF YOU "HACKED" YOUR IPHONE (IE IFUNTASTIC) THEN YOU MUST RESTORE YOUR IPHONE!!!

For me this was both expected and not a big deal. Sure it made me spend the time to reload all the crap back onto my iPhone but that comes with messing around with stuff you "shouldn't".

I think we'll be seeing some more substantial updates in the weeks to come.

WhiskeySpider
Jul 31, 2007, 10:32 PM
The Passcode Lock feature changed from two options to several. It used to be only immediate and after one minute, I'm pretty sure.

Bradley W
Jul 31, 2007, 10:38 PM
_

javaGuru
Jul 31, 2007, 10:39 PM
Holy Crap! After the update I now have a volume control button on the side of the phone! This is the most awesomeous update ever! :D

jamesnajera
Jul 31, 2007, 10:41 PM
Outgoing email seems slower espcially with SSL. I am using a IMAP account to exchange server, BUT using dslextreme for outgoing email. Does anyone notice the same?

bytethese
Jul 31, 2007, 10:42 PM
Yup, I used iFuntastic and it crashed and had to recover. Wonder if Apple planned this for those modders lol...

Haha, probably, but I put my ringtones back on and I made some sweet new Apple logo's (new silver apple for black background, old multicolored logo for white-grey background) to replace the AT&T logo. I really debated screwing with my coworkers and putting like, Sprint, Verizon, etc there. :)

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1261/969933324_fba079e15d.jpg?v=0
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1173/969933284_c05e25a4bf.jpg?v=0

Looks like Flickr kills the transparent backgrounds. Doh.

devman
Jul 31, 2007, 10:45 PM
Installed and running fine on my MBP.

TC Schiller
Jul 31, 2007, 10:51 PM
I was wondering the same thing. Firmware updates are definitely "don't touch and pray" experience for me. I wouldn't even entertain the idea of trying to use the damn thing while the install was occurring. I think the poster got what he deserved! ;)
Well, you all really make me wanna stay at macrumors.com. :rolleyes:

wesk702
Jul 31, 2007, 10:54 PM
Great update but
I still can't forward emails with attachments :(
On yahoo.
(It sends text only)

iJawn108
Jul 31, 2007, 10:58 PM
*dies of disentry too many updates in one day*

swordfish5736
Jul 31, 2007, 10:59 PM
not sure if it has been mentioned but music and safari on edge has been fixed. I turned off wifi and tested it first thing. The updated for me only took about 3 minutes on my applecare service phone:D

AudiA4
Jul 31, 2007, 11:02 PM

VERY nice! I'd been looking for that.

Now, what about a file size "limit" on incoming mail! I'm tired of having to wait on a 4MB attachment to download for 10 minutes before I can read the email!

ryano144
Jul 31, 2007, 11:04 PM
It looks like the update was probably rushed out because of the security issues that had been getting so much press as of late. The fix to the arbitrary code execution bug that was over the news was included in the update, along with 3 others that were not as publicized.

From the reports in the news, Apple was only told about the bug 14 days ago, so this is a pretty impressive turnaround on that front. I doubt that there will be a major update until Leapord arrives in October, although it is possible that they pushed this one out the door before the 2nd, and are saving the rest of the update the 7th.

ryano144
Jul 31, 2007, 11:07 PM
Also, when looking at the security content of the update, I noticed that 3 guys from Adobe were credited with finding a bug related to redirecting the user. Could it be that these guys were working on A flash plugin for the iPhone!!!

Thats probably random speculation... but it would make sense... and I am really hopefull.

tritip
Jul 31, 2007, 11:12 PM
The iPhone manual .pdf download on apple's support site is now dated 8/1/2007.

And, by the way, somebody CALLED ME while I was updating and it crashed. I had to restore.

knelto
Jul 31, 2007, 11:12 PM
One thing I just tried messing with (with no avail really) is using VPN. I tried using it on campus once and it had a bug where it'd come up with the numeric keyboard when prompted to enter a password... so maybe there's a fix there.

Another thing I noticed is that if you flip from ring to silent, the screen no longer comes on. I think it used to pre-update, but I could be mistaken.

jamesnajera
Jul 31, 2007, 11:21 PM
well I changed my smtp to smtp.gmail.com and that goes very fast, so there must be aomething wrong with dslextreme. Thanks Apple, this phone kicks ass and thanks google for outgoing email.

SilentCrs
Jul 31, 2007, 11:33 PM
Also, when looking at the security content of the update, I noticed that 3 guys from Adobe were credited with finding a bug related to redirecting the user. Could it be that these guys were working on A flash plugin for the iPhone!!!

Thats probably random speculation... but it would make sense... and I am really hopefull.

That's REALLY random speculation. :P

xfusejc
Jul 31, 2007, 11:36 PM
Another thing I noticed is that if you flip from ring to silent, the screen no longer comes on. I think it used to pre-update, but I could be mistaken.

It didn't. If the screen was turned off, it remained off.

Add me to the list of those who needed to restore everything (added ringtones through iFuntastic.) Everything works great though.

segfaultdotorg
Jul 31, 2007, 11:38 PM
I now have a "My AT&T account" bookmark after installing the update. Bookmark spammers! :mad:

twoodcc
Jul 31, 2007, 11:39 PM
great! the iPhone update was finally released. too bad no new widgets though.

neutrino23
Jul 31, 2007, 11:40 PM

I had seen that problem recently. If I tried to listen to music and surf with Safari it would kick back to the main screen and the music would stop within about five minutes. Glad to hear this is fixed.

neutrino23
Jul 31, 2007, 11:43 PM
It didn't. If the screen was turned off, it remained off.

Add me to the list of those who needed to restore everything (added ringtones through iFuntastic.) Everything works great though.

I recall that if I turned off the ringer that the screen would come on. I just tried it now and that happened. However, every time after that when I switch the ringer on or off it simply vibrates, the screen never comes on.

iPhoneGuy2007
Jul 31, 2007, 11:48 PM
#152, I've always had the My AT&T bookmark. It was at the bottom of the bookmarks ...

ModMyIphone.com has a comment about ifuntastic *and* iphoneinterface both working fine ... can anyone please confirm?

neutrino23
Jul 31, 2007, 11:54 PM
Reading the license agreement is scary. I do not understand if I am in violation:

My husband and I (each) have our own MacBook Pro laptops and we each have iPhone...but I load music from my MacBook Pro for both phones. Last time (yesterday) the software in iTunes asked me if I "wanted to load, or whatever the word was, from this ***user account ***.

Is the software going to be like Big Brother and catch or ruin my music because his phone has music that has come off of my laptop? Is the implication that we should have 2 music cds of the same music we both like --- kind of like the laptops "seeing" over the wifi network that one copy of MS Office running simultaneously on both laptops is against their rule one copy per user (since one person cannot simultaneously have two copies actively running)...it is a ramble... my apologies. Anyone else share these concerns and or have ideas? Ann Marie :confused:

Not sure I completely understand your question. You don't need two CDs. It should give you any problem with music ripped from a CD. The DRM restrictions will kick in with music purchased from iTunes Music Store. Even then, you are allowed to play that music on more than one iPod.

Romanesq
Jul 31, 2007, 11:58 PM
Protecting the franchise and 10 million sales goal, Steve Jobs said get this out and get it out NOW.

Clearly this is not the "full" update they probably intended. Notice they call it a bug fix with a 1.0.1 update, not even a 1.1 update.

Only limited report on the volume issue which is the true bane of the iPhone.
We need more reports if that "bug" has been squashed.

mrrory
Aug 1, 2007, 12:09 AM
One of the few "bugs" I've noticed so far is that if you're editing a web address or a line of text etc., too close to the top of the page, the magnifier does not flip to allow you to see what is in it (Loupe style a la Aperture)... Quite annoying as this often happens when typing web addresses, and the address bar is right at the top, and the keyboard is up so you can't really scroll down....

Also the other day, while at the Apple store for another reason, I was sending a text message and noticed that the letters Q and W on the keyboard were freaking out, sort of wiggling... Anyone else notice anything similar?

isaaccubed
Aug 1, 2007, 12:10 AM
Well, the update went halfway then threw the iphone into recovery mode..now I need to restore everything and lost all my camera phone pictures.

Eff...not what I was expecting.

sminman
Aug 1, 2007, 12:14 AM
Is the Calendar Alert an old feature or was that a new update included in the software update?

Sam

sminman
Aug 1, 2007, 12:17 AM
Well this update isn't going according to plan...

I keep getting an error message saying that my iPhone isn't able to update at this time?

I did add my own ringtones and use iFuntastic...

Does that have anything to do with it?

Sam

megfilmworks
Aug 1, 2007, 12:19 AM
Yes. Back up and then restore.

jecapaga
Aug 1, 2007, 12:24 AM
Protecting the franchise and 10 million sales goal, Steve Jobs said get this out and get it out NOW.

Clearly this is not the "full" update they probably intended. Notice they call it a bug fix with a 1.0.1 update, not even a 1.1 update.

Only limited report on the volume issue which is the true bane of the iPhone.
We need more reports if that "bug" has been squashed.

Volume level bug is not fixed..at least on my phone.

chitapita
Aug 1, 2007, 12:34 AM
I had to restore my iPhone after the update. Like others who'd added ringtones (mine were from iphonealley instructions), I lost all of my ringtones after the update:mad:

I'm a little wary of going through the process again...any chance that the update deters hacking? I don't want to brick it!

megfilmworks
Aug 1, 2007, 12:51 AM
I'm wondering if anyone used only iPhone ringtonemaker and did not have to restore?

sblasl
Aug 1, 2007, 12:52 AM
Usage information still does not show up after installing update. Battery still not showing complete charge either. I am rather surprised that this was not resolved in this first update since quite a few folks allegedly had this problem.

With that issue not being addressed, my thoughts are that this update was exclusively to take care of the security issue that was exposed by the folks at ISE (not Adobe). Any other perceived improvements I think fall under the placebo effect IMHO.

jecapaga
Aug 1, 2007, 12:52 AM
I don't know but i'm getting almost instant yahoo PUSH. I've tried several times and it seems, shall I say, snappier.

stagi
Aug 1, 2007, 12:55 AM
I had to restore and don't have any mods on the phone, also iTunes keeps crashing when I try and update the iPhone, it just hangs until I take the phone off. After a few trys then it works and synchs :(

rikers_mailbox
Aug 1, 2007, 01:04 AM
Add another iPhone updated to 1.0.1 with no problems.

What I've noticed so far is ...
- iPod external speaker is much clearer at higher volumes
- scrolling on YouTube is much improved (the list would stall while loading thumbnails)
- scrolling through camera roll thumbnails is still chunky (40 pics)
- still can't rearrange Stocks list
- i'm not sure if google maps is any less jumpy with pinch zoom-outs. maybe a bit?

... as I'm sure others have already pointed out (I haven't read the entire thread).

CJD2112
Aug 1, 2007, 01:23 AM
Well this update isn't going according to plan...

I keep getting an error message saying that my iPhone isn't able to update at this time?

I did add my own ringtones and use iFuntastic...

Does that have anything to do with it?

Sam

Yes. Any one who has hacked their iPhone with iFuntastic (including myself) was forced to do a full restore and update. Thankfully I did not lose very much info, except for about an hour of my time.

gnasher729
Aug 1, 2007, 01:35 AM

Why call it "Big Brother"? Think what the normal usage is: Two people, two iPods, two computers. You wouldn't want to sync your iPod with someone else's computer by accident, would you? Or sync your iPhone with your husbands address book, and then you can't find any of your contact numbers that you need for work, and your hairdresser, nail artist and whatever are not in your husbands phonebook either? So it is very sensible to ask you if that is really what you want to do. It didn't stop you, right?

Lionheart
Aug 1, 2007, 01:36 AM
Just got the nerve to try iFuntastic last week, and it worked GREAT! Of course, I figured my fun may be short lived. Having read the previous posts about this update, I decided to go for it, knowing that I'd probably need to restore the phone.

Yep...restore needed. I had just synced up, so I figured I'd only have to reset a few things. Update and restore went well, and remarkably fast considering I'm at about 6 Gigs full. Got my Wifi working again (forgot what a pain that was), and all is well. Except, I lost all some pictures from my Camera Roll. I thought those were all backed up. There were none left in my phone, but I found some of them copied in my Pictures directory. Make sure you copy all your pics before restoring your phone!

Feeling brave, I couldn't resist getting my ringtones and custom carrier logo back on there. I fired up iFuntastic.

Failed the first time. Re-jailed the phone, rebooted, then tried again. The second time worked fine. However, I did have one weird thing happen. After rebooting, my Notes icon (I didn't mess with those) was slightly lower and to the right, pushing my Settings icon slightly off the screen. After pushing a couple of buttons, I was in a total lockup and had to do a hard reset. After a couple of scary moments, she sprang back to life and the world was beautiful again.

Checked everything out, all is well. Don't notice any differences, beyond the new security code options previously mentioned.

Good for another season until we get our next long-awaited update!

Lionheart
Aug 1, 2007, 01:40 AM
Well, the update went halfway then threw the iphone into recovery mode..now I need to restore everything and lost all my camera phone pictures.

Eff...not what I was expecting.

Me too...but I found some of them in my iPhoto Library/Originals/2007/Roll# on my iMac. You might look there.

Good luck!

ryano144
Aug 1, 2007, 01:47 AM
With that issue not being addressed, my thoughts are that this update was exclusively to take care of the security issue that was exposed by the folks at ISE (not Adobe). Any other perceived improvements I think fall under the placebo effect IMHO.
There were 4 security issues listed as being fixed by this update. The ISE buffer overflow bug was one of them. It was a problem in the handling of regular expressions. Another one had to do with causing a race condition on page load using redirects allowing cross site scripting, and that one was discovered by three employees of Adobe.
there is a link earlier in this thread to the apple document that details this, but I can't copy it in because I'm writing this on my iPhone.

bb0ys
Aug 1, 2007, 01:52 AM
In the About screen, the Version went from 1.0 (1A543a) to 1.0.1 (1C25). Duh.

And...the Modem Firmware was updated from 03.12.06_G to 03.14.08_G.

Add it to the list :-)

iPhoneGuy2007
Aug 1, 2007, 02:10 AM
As a follow up to my prior post, I can indeed confirm that hacks using ifuntastic do work. I have reloaded all of my ringtones, carrier icon and home screen icon layout.

THX1139
Aug 1, 2007, 02:35 AM
Anyone know if there is a way to filter out iPhone posts? Ever since the iPhone came out, the forums have been flooded with iPhone posts. Since I don't own an iPhone, I could care less and I'm tired of having to wade through all of the posts just to find something relevant to Mac. I remember the time when this was a website about Macs. Now it seems we have to indulge the iPhone people even though iPhone has little to do with Macs. Yeah, I know it's the same company but that pretty much all that's in common with Macs. They need to open a new website called iPhonerumors.com. To make matters worse, half of the posts don't even say "On my iPhone..." so it takes a moment when you're reading to realize that the poster is talking about his iPhone.

Skystar
Aug 1, 2007, 02:41 AM
Not sure if all iPhones were having this problem. When I would set a podcast to sync "all unplayed" episodes, the podcasts would still remain on the iPhone even though I have finished listening to them. After this update, it seems like they are now being removed correctly after they are played. Can someone who has NOT done the upgrade try to replicate that podcast problem?

povman
Aug 1, 2007, 03:00 AM
Hm... my whole system seems... snappier...

well someone had to say it...

Macvideopro
Aug 1, 2007, 03:05 AM
Holy Cow! I don't know if it's just me but Wifi works perfectly now! Before it would switch to edge before loading a page but now it is stuck on Wifi. I'm lovin it!

Osarkon
Aug 1, 2007, 03:08 AM
Anyone know if there is a way to filter out iPhone posts? Ever since the iPhone came out, the forums have been flooded with iPhone posts. Since I don't own an iPhone, I could care less and I'm tired of having to wade through all of the posts just to find something relevant to Mac. I remember the time when this was a website about Macs. Now it seems we have to indulge the iPhone people even though iPhone has little to do with Macs. Yeah, I know it's the same company but that pretty much all that's in common with Macs. They need to open a new website called iPhonerumors.com. To make matters worse, half of the posts don't even say "On my iPhone..." so it takes a moment when you're reading to realize that the poster is talking about his iPhone.

Perhaps this thread should have been split into two, whilst the updates came together they address two different things and the iPhone update is evidently getting more feedback than the other.

It's probably gone a bit far to be changed by now, but in the future maybe.

On the mac side of things however, both the security and airport update installed fine and I can't see any issues that have cropped up, although my wireless never did suffer like so many people.

Both updates require a restart.

queshy
Aug 1, 2007, 03:35 AM
silky smooth update on both my 24" iMac and my SR Mbp. But to be honest, I don't notice any changes in either system, lol.

One thing though: normally after doing updates and restarting my iMac it would hang on the white screen and I'd have to reset the SMC...but that didn't happen this time. Nice...

xfusejc
Aug 1, 2007, 04:11 AM
^ Same here. It installed, restarted and came back to the log in screen rather quickly. Before it used to take loads of time.

Wild-Bill
Aug 1, 2007, 04:21 AM
Does anyone have any feedback on the update for PPC Macs???? All I keep reading about is the freakin' iPhone.

(MR should really have split this into two threads). :rolleyes:

THX1139
Aug 1, 2007, 04:28 AM
Apple needs to kick Adobes but to make them fix flash for Mac and get it optimized. its just stupid on how bloated and slow it is compared to the PC's version.

Are you talking about CS3? It has been released as UB. It runs a lot faster on Intel boxes... and I thinks it's already been updated. Need to check on that.

THX1139
Aug 1, 2007, 04:31 AM
Does anyone have any feedback on the update for PPC Macs???? All I keep reading about is the freakin' iPhone.

(MR should really have split this into two threads). :rolleyes:

Yeah, me too! I'm sick of reading about the iPhone. Maybe we should all collectively send a message to MacRumors and tell them to keep iPhone separate from Mac from now on. It's really ruining the forums (unless you are an iPhone user).

Cackeezy
Aug 1, 2007, 04:51 AM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1C25 Safari/419.3)

is the "sleep iPod" timer a new feature? Maybe I never noticed it

Cabbit
Aug 1, 2007, 04:59 AM
is safari 3 beta mac usable yet, last time i tryed it messed up msn,yahoo,and adium?

Nope now that i've tryed it im software is a still a pain to use with safari 3

Osarkon
Aug 1, 2007, 05:14 AM
Are you talking about CS3? It has been released as UB. It runs a lot faster on Intel boxes... and I thinks it's already been updated. Need to check on that.

I think he meant Flash in the general sense i.e. for youtube videos etc. It is sluggish on os x, the fans in my macbook crank right up when I watch something on youtube.

Mac OS X Ocelot
Aug 1, 2007, 05:25 AM
is safari 3 beta mac usable yet, last time i tryed it messed up msn,yahoo,and adium?

I've never had a problem with 3. I've been using it since it came out.

leviut
Aug 1, 2007, 05:34 AM

yes, i noticed that i can now browse safari and listen to the ipod now with no problem since updating. i will have to wait to see if safari randomly shuts down like it was doing on me.

hopefully the battery life is better. when i get on safari or youtube, my battery drains very fast. but i can listen to the ipod for like 12 hours non stop with no issue.

MBHockey
Aug 1, 2007, 05:35 AM
My weather icon just stays at sunny and 73 degrees, nothing like conditions here.

Same as mine, and it is definitely not 73 degrees. Was the original person who posted this the *only* person to suggest that this was changed in 1.0.1? If so, it's probably untrue.

leviut
Aug 1, 2007, 05:47 AM
Oh wow!

I don't know if I'm imagining things but now it seems that the iPhone plays sounds through BOTH the speaker and the mic and not just one of them.

Somebody please verify this! I swore it only played sound through one side before...

heck yea!!

i thought i was trippin when the sound came so loudly and clearly from my phone. that is a major improvement!!!

markpalmer
Aug 1, 2007, 06:00 AM
7.1 MB of "bug fixes"

meh, better than nothing.

Still no to-do list...sigh.

A bug fix might only involve a few characters. Size is not important. :)

javaGuru
Aug 1, 2007, 06:36 AM
heck yea!!

i thought i was trippin when the sound came so loudly and clearly from my phone. that is a major improvement!!!

This isn't even possible. There is only 1 speaker and 1 mic at the bottom of the phone. Unless this update turned the mic into a speaker I don't think this is likely. I have not noticed a difference here.

Also, for people who are claiming that their sound is clearer on the external speaker when they play it at higher volumes please do me a favor and set the EQ to rock and download and play Elliot Yamin's song "wait for you". This song severly rattles my outer speaker. I think this might be due to the fact that it was encoded at a very high bitRate and it also had some extra bass in it. This is exactly what I was experiencing before and after the update. You will notice that songs will sound clearer with the EQ turned off. Maybe your EQ was reset to OFF after the update. Please test with it on before saying that the sound is clearer.

MacJediDude
Aug 1, 2007, 07:11 AM
This is amazing - after installing the iPhone update my screen stopped showing fingerprint or smudges. Thank you Mr. Clean ;)

Seriously everyone is getting out of control with wild claims - many of which have been part of the software since day 1. ..... OK ....... take a deeeeep breath and RELAX! :o

javaGuru
Aug 1, 2007, 07:17 AM
This is amazing - after installing the iPhone update my screen stopped showing fingerprint or smudges. Thank you Mr. Clean ;)

Seriously everyone is getting out of control with wild claims - many of which have been part of the software since day 1. ..... OK ....... take a deeeeep breath and RELAX! :o

Well stated. This is update 1.01 NOT 1.1 which means there are only going to be minor fixes. These fixes are only to fix security issues as Apple has explicitely stated it was for. The purpose of the update was to fix bugs not make enhancements to the software.

earnjam
Aug 1, 2007, 07:23 AM
This is what the iPhone forums have become.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_Windshield_Pitting_Epidemic

MacJediDude
Aug 1, 2007, 07:26 AM
TOTALLY AGREE :(
This is what the iPhone forums have become.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_Windshield_Pitting_Epidemic

madmax_2069
Aug 1, 2007, 07:45 AM

oops my bad i should have said what flash i was talking about. i was meaning the flash player

dernhelm
Aug 1, 2007, 07:51 AM
Hm... my whole system seems... snappier...

well someone had to say it...

Nah - just Safari... :D

CJD2112
Aug 1, 2007, 08:04 AM
I really debated screwing with my coworkers and putting like, Sprint, Verizon, etc there..

Verizon, that's funny, I did the same exact thing as an option, but used "CJ's iPhone" instead.

Any one know what font it used for the standard AT&T logo? I used Lucida Grande...

CJD2112
Aug 1, 2007, 08:08 AM
The iPhone manual .pdf download on apple's support site is now dated 8/1/2007.

And, by the way, somebody CALLED ME while I was updating and it crashed. I had to restore.

You would think Apple would put the phone in Airplane mode during updates, as the phone obviously needs to be on to install an update and any one can call during that time and mess it up. Something pretty simple yet overlooked. Hmmmm. :confused:

Fabio_gsilva
Aug 1, 2007, 08:16 AM
I keep reading all this treads just wondering when will apple bring this holy iPhone to here!!!

AH!!!:mad:

Yankees 4 Life
Aug 1, 2007, 08:31 AM
dang weather icon guy spreading junk.... i was really excited about that for a few mins then i realized it was 96degrees and cloudy outside yesterday...

overcast
Aug 1, 2007, 08:36 AM
This isn't even possible. There is only 1 speaker and 1 mic at the bottom of the phone. Unless this update turned the mic into a speaker I don't think this is likely. I have not noticed a difference here.
A microphone and a speaker are essentially the same thing. It's definitely plausible. You've never used your headphones in a mic jack before?

JPyre
Aug 1, 2007, 08:40 AM
I didn't see this mentioned, the update fixes MS Exchange nested/folders issues. Now all my smart folders with rules show up and work.

joeconvert
Aug 1, 2007, 08:41 AM

Man, it's horrible that you did something Apples doesn't support to your iPhone and now the update is a pain.

MrCrowbar
Aug 1, 2007, 08:57 AM
I've never had a problem with 3. I've been using it since it came out.

Same here. I still keep firefox around but haven't used it in a while. Safari 3 (with inquisitorx plugin) in just awesome.

bytethese
Aug 1, 2007, 09:11 AM
Oh wow!

I think you are imagining. I just checked mine, still only one speaker and sounds liek crap when I turn it up with Bass Boost on. :)

bytethese
Aug 1, 2007, 09:18 AM
Man, it's horrible that you did something Apples doesn't support to your iPhone and now the update is a pain.

Settle down there Beavis. As a Systems Engineer I often do things that "are not supported" and "support" them myself. I just wanted to make other folks aware that if you used iFuntastic, etc, you may have some issues. The updates I provided are the hurdles I encountered in restoring my iPhone back to the way I had it. :)

bdj21ya
Aug 1, 2007, 09:23 AM

You COULD care less? Well if you could, then what is stopping you? Just go ahead and care a little less. What are you worried about? Does it have something to do with the Care-O-Meter losing points and Care-A-Lot breaking apart?

If so then I certainly respect that, but if you really meant that you COULDN'T care less, then please just say that in the future. :D

MBHockey
Aug 1, 2007, 09:26 AM
I think you are imagining. I just checked mine, still only one speaker and sounds liek crap when I turn it up with Bass Boost on. :)

Definitely not true for me. I seriously doubt a software update would change a mic into a speaker anyway.

bdj21ya
Aug 1, 2007, 09:30 AM
Same here. I still keep firefox around but haven't used it in a while. Safari 3 (with inquisitorx plugin) in just awesome.

I tried and tried to use Safari 3, but it's features just don't compare to Firefox. As of last week, I had to switch back. Being able to just start typing and go to any word on the page, AND being able to go to links just by pressing enter after (after the automatic text find), is just too valuable to give up.

MBHockey
Aug 1, 2007, 09:34 AM
You COULD care less? Well if you could, then what is stopping you? Just go ahead and care a little less. What are you worried about? Does it have something to do with the Care-O-Meter losing points and Care-A-Lot breaking apart?

If so then I certainly respect that, but if you really meant that you COULDN'T care less, then please just say that in the future. :D

nice. I HATE when people say "could care less" because it has no meaning.

Davidgr
Aug 1, 2007, 09:36 AM
Apple is amazing. Before today's update I used to only get calls from my mom and grandma. Now, I'm getting phone calls from hot girls! Thanks Steve :)

(I can't wait to see what the next update brings!)

bytethese
Aug 1, 2007, 09:38 AM

Is there a way to filter out Safari posts? I had thought I was posting in a thread started by Macrumors Admins regarding an iPhone update, but I keep seeing posts about Safari Beta 3.0.3 here...

Relax man, iPhone is an Apple product. Mac laptops/desktops, iPods, AirPort Base Stations and yes even iPhones are Mac related. Last I checked they run Safari, OSX, WiFi, use iPod software. Wow, sounds like all the above mentioned techology all in one!

However, too bad my iPhone doesn't have GPS, then I'd be able to call E911 to get you a waaaaaambulance. :)

bytethese
Aug 1, 2007, 09:40 AM
Apple is amazing. Before today's update I used to only get calls from my mom and grandma. Now, I'm getting phone calls from hot girls! Thanks Steve :)

(I can't wait to see what the next update brings!)

LOL! My update must have failed, no hot chicks are calling me!! I feel so shafted! ;) Conference me in on those calls man!!

mcoyne
Aug 1, 2007, 09:50 AM
my Yahoo! mail used to display at the end something to the effect of "25 more messages... click to load" and there never were any messages there. This is now gone.

Same with google mail. Fixed now.

JPyre
Aug 1, 2007, 09:53 AM
iTunes keeps crashing when I try and update the iPhone, it just hangs until I take the phone off. After a few trys then it works and synchs :(

I almost removed my iPhone when it was in the updating firmware part, but I didn't, about 5min later the progress bar started to move again.
I haven't ever felt the need to suggest this for MacOS, but, shut down everything except iTunes when runing this update, and be patient around 40% progress.

tigerphilosophy
Aug 1, 2007, 09:56 AM
Why call it "Big Brother"? Think what the normal usage is: Two people, two iPods, two computers. You wouldn't want to sync your iPod with someone else's computer by accident, would you? Or sync your iPhone with your husbands address book, and then you can't find any of your contact numbers that you need for work, and your hairdresser, nail artist and whatever are not in your husbands phonebook either? So it is very sensible to ask you if that is really what you want to do. It didn't stop you, right?

Thank you for your interest. I sync his iphone on my macbook pro because it is updated / more complete and his music and he has no album cover photos. We have a huge amount of music that I am correcting because music data did not transfer correctly from windows to mac. Addressbook allows data grouping so I have his contacts from "ALL" in his own group, and mine in my group.

Again, my concern about "Big Brother" stems from the fact that in a similar thing occurred when after buying 2 nes MBPs, and airport extreme wifi AND only ONE Microsoft Office for Mac program, that MS program quit working - refering me to the fact that one **licensed** software user cannot simultaneously run the program on 2 computers. In other words, it saw through the wifi that the program was installed and running on both laptops (we both were using excel and were doing work stuff). So I had to buy another copy of the program so we both could simultaneously work and both be on the home wifi network. Thus, my question about the EULA and its "seemingly" knowing that his iphone is not the same "user acount" on my computer is a question to me - since I do not automatically sync everything - only sync chosen folders. BTW, it did work, I just wonder if the new End User License Agreement will "see" something in our shared music as the EULA definitions about who owns what ad what one can do with content is somewhat confusing and drawn out. Ann Marie

mcoyne
Aug 1, 2007, 10:00 AM
If you add phone numbers in your iPhone but not in address book will it back those up also?

Yes, numbers I have added on the iphone have been backed up to itunes.

samh004
Aug 1, 2007, 10:04 AM
Same as mine, and it is definitely not 73 degrees. Was the original person who posted this the *only* person to suggest that this was changed in 1.0.1? If so, it's probably untrue.

It was probably sunny and 73 where the original posted was, so he took that as a sign that the icon updated according to his preferences. But it couldn't be hard to do, would be quite cool actually. Maybe he got 1.1 by accident ;)

dr_lha
Aug 1, 2007, 10:11 AM
However, too bad my iPhone doesn't have GPS, then I'd be able to call E911 to get you a waaaaaambulance. :)
E911 doesn't need GPS, it locates you by cell tower. ;)

JPyre
Aug 1, 2007, 10:11 AM
It was probably sunny and 73 where the original posted was, so he took that as a sign that the icon updated according to his preferences. But it couldn't be hard to do, would be quite cool actually. Maybe he got 1.1 by accident ;)

This will never happen for one reason, I don't (and neither does anyone else) want my home screen to lag out and look for wi-fi every time I just want to access the home screen.
Kinda off subject but...
I find it funny, how MacOS can't update Calender to show the correct day, but iPhone can.

bytethese
Aug 1, 2007, 10:15 AM
E911 doesn't need GPS, it locates you by cell tower. ;)

Sure it doesn't need it, but GPS or triangulation can be used. :)

macintel4me
Aug 1, 2007, 10:23 AM
I find it funny, how MacOS can't update Calender to show the correct day, but iPhone can.
Not true. Mac OS X's iCal does show the correct day.

ScottW-CO
Aug 1, 2007, 10:35 AM
Update ran fine for me, no delays.

Only issue I see, and it may not be an issue per se... when I plugged in my phone, I was at around 50% charge. After the update and restart, suddenly the battery was showing around 15% charge. It's charging fine now, but - that's kinda disconcerting.

Anyone else out there have a similar experience? If so, any issues with the phone's ability to hold a charge, etc.? (I know, it's early, need some hours at least to know for sure, but who knows.)

guzhogi
Aug 1, 2007, 10:58 AM
Update ran fine for me, no delays.

Only issue I see, and it may not be an issue per se... when I plugged in my phone, I was at around 50% charge. After the update and restart, suddenly the battery was showing around 15% charge. It's charging fine now, but - that's kinda disconcerting.

Anyone else out there have a similar experience? If so, any issues with the phone's ability to hold a charge, etc.? (I know, it's early, need some hours at least to know for sure, but who knows.)

I have the same problem, too. I usually charge mine when I get the 20% or less charge notice. I turn my iPhone off when charging and if I turn it on, it says I have the next lower % charge (like I start w/ the 20% charge error and then when I turn it on, I get the 10% charge error). :confused:

nsbio
Aug 1, 2007, 11:01 AM

Not true. MacOSX iCal does NOT show the correct day in the dock icon unless you click on it. If you do not click on it, it is the permanent 17th.

TPALTony
Aug 1, 2007, 11:02 AM

Only when it's running, which is the point the poster was making I think.

Power cycle an iPhone and the date will be right the second you power it back on. You don't have to go into Calendar to check it. Of course for all we know Calendar is started automatically.

It would be nice if the iCal event scheduler, which is running for most people, could update the iCal icon on the dock even if it wasn't running.

Of course, when this is the kind of thing we moan about, you KNOW you're using a decent operating system! :-)

be well

t

Jungo
Aug 1, 2007, 11:09 AM

hmmmm.... My upgrade went well but even though I have only ONE weather location entered - and it's updated - present temp IS 84

My front screen icon also shows 73

Fritz

ScottW-CO
Aug 1, 2007, 11:15 AM
The weather icon isn't changing. It's just a practical joke.

And for those of you who are comparing the weather icon to the calendar icon, i.e. "the calendar icon changes" - the phone doesn't require any sort of data transfer/update for what day it is. It's built in. So it's easy enough to display the current date in that icon.

If the weather icon displayed "current" weather info, then whenever you fired up your phone, it would display OUTDATED weather info, until you tapped the weather app icon and the phone pulled down current data. Which would, of course, start a whole new round of kvetching.

LanikaiGirl
Aug 1, 2007, 11:27 AM
Not true. MacOSX iCal does NOT show the correct day in the dock icon unless you click on it. If you do not click on it, it is the permanent 17th.

Mine ALWAYS has the correct day.

hateonhaters
Aug 1, 2007, 11:29 AM
OMG!!! My iPhone is touch screen now!!!!

izzle22
Aug 1, 2007, 11:35 AM

On the phone Yes on OSX on reg. comp. No you have to actually click on the iCal to get the correct date to appear. We are getting iPhone and reg. OSX mixed up here again.

JPyre
Aug 1, 2007, 11:36 AM

Ok, how? Either you open iCal everyday, or you have a script that opens iCal everyday, which is it? If you say it "just does" I don't know how to respond to that. Or youre refering to iPhone, it wasn't my intent to confuse, I was just comparing an icon that doesn't update on OSX (no reason why it couldn't) to an icon that doesn't update on iPhone (very good reason why it shouldn't).

Edit: Every OS update iCal is the first thing I check, right after checking if Safari feels "snappier" :)
I'm assuming it is still a known complaint in Leopard??? Anybody know what's keeping this, seemingly obvious feature, from being implemented?

javaGuru
Aug 1, 2007, 11:46 AM
A microphone and a speaker are essentially the same thing. It's definitely plausible. You've never used your headphones in a mic jack before?

Yes,it's true that you can use a microphone as a speaker and vice verse. But, it requires more than a software update to accomplish this. This would also require changes to the hardware. If you have ever used a microphone as a speaker you should be aware of the fact that you have to unplug it from the mic port and then plug it into the speaker/headphone port. This constitutes a change in how the hardware is used. Hence, basicly a hardware change.

segfaultdotorg
Aug 1, 2007, 11:56 AM
#152, I've always had the My AT&T bookmark. It was at the bottom of the bookmarks ...

I deleted it when I first got my iPhone. It reappeared after the update. How many people will actually use that link? Pathetic on AT&T's part...

MakGeek
Aug 1, 2007, 11:56 AM
Yeah, finally i can unplug my iphone and walk around with it. Been plugged in since June 29th, haven't been able to test any of the cool features wirelessly yet. I thought it was an awfully long time to get a full charge, I hope it drains that slow, I don't feel like plugging it in again for another 30 days. I am EXCITED!

TC Schiller
Aug 1, 2007, 12:05 PM
Yeah, finally i can unplug my iphone and walk around with it. Been plugged in since June 29th, haven't been able to test any of the cool features wirelessly yet. I thought it was an awfully long time to get a full charge, I hope it drains that slow, I don't feel like plugging it in again for another 30 days. I am EXCITED!
..You're kidding, right?

gceo
Aug 1, 2007, 12:15 PM
The 1.0.1 update fixed my battery monitor, and the plug/bolt icon problem.

Yahoo push is still super sketchy. 50% at best. 0% if there is an attachment. Bummer. (I'll try re-setting it up like others... hope that helps)

Also, I noticed that I can tap with two fingers on Google Maps to zoom out. Can anyone confirm if that was there before? I just noticed it. Thanks.

EDIT: My earpiece and speaker are the same. Total bummer.

MacJediDude
Aug 1, 2007, 12:24 PM
there since day 1 ......
after the update mine has an Apple logo on the back .... can anyone else confirm this?

;)

Yahoo push is still super sketchy. 50% at best. 0% if there is an attachment. Bummer. (I'll try re-setting it up like others... hope that helps)

Also, I noticed that I can tap with two fingers on Google Maps to zoom out. Can anyone confirm if that was there before? I just noticed it. Thanks.

izzle22
Aug 1, 2007, 12:27 PM

This was the biggest problem I've seen in the iPhone world and it seems to be fixed.

craigverse
Aug 1, 2007, 12:30 PM
Maybe I'm crazy but... when I slide my finger across an email to get the delete button it seems to actually listen to me more. A lot of the time when I did it it would want to open the mail or scroll through all the mail. Hooray update!

Euge
Aug 1, 2007, 12:32 PM
I've found one thing that the update has changed that I find useful.

Where I'm working right now is in a basement floor of a building where no one gets mobile coverage, so I forward my calls to my desk phone.

Before, whenever I turned call forwarding on, it would bring me to the number keypad, and I had to enter the number every time. Fortunately, the number was in the dictionary so it would at least auto-complete for me.

Now, I just turn call forwarding on and the number defaults to the last number I entered.

iomar
Aug 1, 2007, 12:53 PM
Wow, it is strange to see that all of us are so excited with this miner update. Actually i have not noticed any change my phone is still the same as it was before. The thing that might excite me if it is true is the valume of the phone. I want it to be louder also when i play music the speaker sound is very low, i needed louder. If this update fixed that at least I be happy.

jecapaga
Aug 1, 2007, 01:12 PM
This doesn't make any sense to me but before I did the update I had a RIDICULOUS amount of speaker/chatter interference from the phone and my computer speakers and radio near me. So far today I've had none and I haven't changed the position of the phone. Is this possible?

LizKat
Aug 1, 2007, 01:26 PM
OMG!!! My iPhone is touch screen now!!!!

Mine too. And even without my iPhone, like most people I know what day it is but it's nice to realize that someone with an iPhone can always figure that out sooner than someone with a laptop that hasn't launched iCal yet.

Man oh man. This really IS a slow news day.

javaGuru
Aug 1, 2007, 01:55 PM
Wow, it is strange to see that all of us are so excited with this miner update. Actually i have not noticed any change my phone is still the same as it was before. The thing that might excite me if it is true is the valume of the phone. I want it to be louder also when i play music the speaker sound is very low, i needed louder. If this update fixed that at least I be happy.

yup, i agree. There definitely seems to be a lot of hype about a very small security update. People are probably going to crap their pants when an actual enhancement update is released.

FreeState
Aug 1, 2007, 02:01 PM
...I noticed that I can tap with two fingers on Google Maps to zoom out. Can anyone confirm if that was there before? I just noticed it. Thanks.

This is not new. It always acted this way.

33scottie33
Aug 1, 2007, 02:02 PM
The update fixed my business IMAP account. Previously, the only folder that would show up was the INBOX. Now I get all of them. Interestingly, my personal .mac IMAP account showed all of it's folders before the update. :confused:

aljlin
Aug 1, 2007, 02:22 PM
Usage information still does not show up after installing update. Battery still not showing complete charge either. I am rather surprised that this was not resolved in this first update since quite a few folks allegedly had this problem.

The update resolved the problem for me. I have heard someone else say the same thing as well. My battery now shows full and at that point stops it didn't before. Wonder why it didn't work for you. My battery did charge fully the first time I charged it. Then after that it didn't charge fully anymore so *shrug*.

ScottW-CO
Aug 1, 2007, 02:29 PM
This doesn't make any sense to me but before I did the update I had a RIDICULOUS amount of speaker/chatter interference from the phone and my computer speakers and radio near me. So far today I've had none and I haven't changed the position of the phone. Is this possible?

My phone still causes that annoying dit-dit-dit sound out of nearby speakers, post-update.

n00basaur
Aug 1, 2007, 02:34 PM
The update resolved the problem for me. I have heard someone else say the same thing as well. My battery now shows full and at that point stops it didn't before. Wonder why it didn't work for you. My battery did charge fully the first time I charged it. Then after that it didn't charge fully anymore so *shrug*.

are you able to get your battery to "glow" when it's fully charged?

beeber
Aug 1, 2007, 02:51 PM

Music purchased through iTunes can be shared between up to five computers by authorizing those computers. Between your two MBP and two iPhones you are covered. (Are there any other computers sharing iTunes musci, say, at work?). This only applies to music you've purchased through the iTunes store. Any CDs you've brought in to iTunes can be shared without limits. Hope this puts your mind at ease.

hessian1
Aug 1, 2007, 02:52 PM
Yes,it's true that you can use a microphone as a speaker and vice verse. But, it requires more than a software update to accomplish this. This would also require changes to the hardware. If you have ever used a microphone as a speaker you should be aware of the fact that you have to unplug it from the mic port and then plug it into the speaker/headphone port. This constitutes a change in how the hardware is used. Hence, basicly a hardware change.

yes but it is possible already included some of this hardware if they were to forsee a speaker quality issue for example iPods could have adapters for recording out of the microphone jack and I knew someone who ran Linux on his iPod and used his normal headphones to record stuff.

Radam
Aug 1, 2007, 02:53 PM
before the update my service bars would jump around when i was in my basement (also my room) now they are consistent this makes me very happy, things see to be more snappy now, when opening different programs, maybe just because it actually turned my phone off, something that hasn't been done since i got it.

hessian1
Aug 1, 2007, 02:54 PM

yes but it is possible already included some of this hardware if they were to forsee a speaker quality issue for example iPods could have adapters for recording out of the microphone jack and I knew someone who ran Linux on his iPod and used his normal headphones to record stuff. I have not tested it yet though but I have not updated so once I do I'll test it and see if there is any truth to the claims.

JPyre
Aug 1, 2007, 03:02 PM

No, unfortunately it's not possible. I don't think it can ever be. iPhone is worse than the Nextels' I thought were bad.....

Anybody ever listen to "Diplomats - Diplomatic Immunity" (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=3499251&s=143441&i=3499218) ("clean") album, all the intros on that album have the "clicking" sounds intentionally added, I always laughed when my friends reached straight for their Nextels.... I'm not laughing any longer... :cool:

drchipinski
Aug 1, 2007, 03:37 PM
Too bad the update didn't do anything for reception....like going from 5 bars to no service found......and the phone has not moved. :mad:

jelloshotsrule
Aug 1, 2007, 04:05 PM
looks like this update fixed the issue i was having where everytime i changed my email settings to "delete from server when removed from inbox" it would revert back to "never"... it now works. sweet.

jjackson1
Aug 1, 2007, 04:05 PM
Previously the automatic time setting would be about 2-3 minutes behind real time. Now it seems to be accurate.

btallada9870
Aug 1, 2007, 04:09 PM
ugh, the stock sms bubbles are so ugly once you've gotten used to your own mods. i don't understand why apple doesn't care if people mod the apple tv, but they seem to care that people are modding the iphone.