Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kidwithdimples

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 17, 2007
Hi,

I think it's a waste of time and thread to create a new one for every month. Don't you think it's better to have just one thread for all the screenshots? Just like how you have "Post your mac setups" - I am sure you don't want "Post your mac setup for August" or so on.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
I quite like the current method, if the mods want just one single thread they could've easily (and still can) combined them all into one with the need to create a new thread.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Don't you think it's better to have just one thread for all the screenshots?
I'm assuming you mean desktops specifically, and no, I think the monthly threads work well enough. Aside from being a time-honored tradition, it also avoids a thread that's 50,000 posts long.

jng

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2007
Germany
I'm assuming you mean desktops specifically, and no, I think the monthly threads work well enough. Aside from being a time-honored tradition, it also avoids a thread that's 50,000 posts long.

Agreed.
Can someone close or wasteland this thread? Or maybe move it to Feedback under a different thread title, since it really was a request.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I've moved this to the feedback forum for discussion and removed the posted screenshot. If we're going to change a long-standing tradition, let's discuss it first.

And, for the record, I prefer the monthly threads.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
the beauty of the monthly threads is that the links are up to date for the most part and they're not a huge thing to plow through. i can keep up with them because if i don't check it for a week or so i know where to start from. whereas a huge thread would just be rather unstoppable. and a mess to sort though imo.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
the beauty of the monthly threads is that the links are up to date for the most part and they're not a huge thing to plow through. i can keep up with them because if i don't check it for a week or so i know where to start from. whereas a huge thread would just be rather unstoppable. and a mess to sort though imo.
http://upc.*************/uploads/smilies/yeahthat.gif

Besides, what is this "waste of thread" thing? It's not like we don't have them to spare. http://upc.*************/uploads/gifs/newthreadcat.gif

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
It would be no fun without the enjoyment of slapping down those who try to sneakily start a monthly thread a day or two early. For that reason alone, they have to stay monthly, if only to keep the mods entertained. ;)

monke

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2005
Monthly.

Having a thread that's 500+ pages long gets annoying. You can't find what you're looking for.

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
Definitely a monthly thread. I look forward to them and it's always interesting to see new wallpapers which are easy to keep track of.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
I think we should do it by member as opposed to month, because frankly, some users consistently have crappy desktops with guys or cars on them or something.

I want to be able to quickly identify the threads that will have mostly naked chicks or perhaps Star Trek desktops in them. Cats are alright, too, I suppose.

FJ218700

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2007
Blue Dot, Red State
I think we should do it by member as opposed to month, because frankly, some users consistently have crappy desktops with guys or cars on them or something.

I want to be able to quickly identify the threads that will have mostly naked chicks or perhaps Star Trek desktops in them. Cats are alright, too, I suppose.

I vote for making three categories for the desktop pictures

1. Chicks (monthly)

2. Star Trek (monthly)

3. Other (continuous)

:D

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
I vote for making three categories for the desktop pictures

1. Chicks (monthly)

2. Star Trek (monthly)

3. Other (continuous)

:D
To be fair to other preferences, we should also have a "Dudes" thread as well. Preferably in a separate subforum, though, so I can easily ignore it in Forum Spy.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
So, to summarize this thread:

1) Shut up
2) No more vehicle pictures

:p

monke

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2005
It would be no fun without the enjoyment of slapping down those who try to sneakily start a monthly thread a day or two early. For that reason alone, they have to stay monthly, if only to keep the mods entertained. ;)

I just figured having to moderate mad jew was entertaining enough. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.