PDA

View Full Version : Free WiFi in August at 13 Major Airports

MacRumors
Aug 1, 2007, 12:03 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Boingo Wireless announced (http://www.boingo.com/pr/pr160.php) that they will be giving iPhone users free Wifi access at 13 North American Airports for the month of August.
This special limited time offer is available to all iPhone owners who access the Wi-Fi networks with their iPhone, giving them an introduction to the world’s largest aggregated Wi-Fi network. iPhone owners who like what they see can sign up for and use a Boingo account to access hundreds of partner networks comprising 100,000+ hotspots.

The Airports included:

AZO – Kalamazoo/Battle Creek International Airport
BNA – Nashville International Airport,
BWI – Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport,
DTW – Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport,
EWR – Newark Liberty International Airport,
JFK – John F. Kennedy International Airport,
LGA – LaGuardia Airport,
MDW – Midway International Airport,
MSP – Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport,
OKC – Will Rogers World Airport,
ORD – O’Hare International Airport,
STL – Lambert-St. Louis International Airport, and
YYZ – Toronto Pearson International Airport.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2007/08/01/free-wifi-in-august-at-13-major-airports/)

colemanj4
Aug 1, 2007, 12:14 PM
Damnit! Stop rubbing it in my face that I can't get an iPhone in Canada, because Rogers has a retarded monopoly!:mad:

JPyre
Aug 1, 2007, 12:16 PM
You've gotta be kidding. When will companies learn nobody wants to purchase wi-fi. I mean, I could donate just $1 and use any McDonalds' wi-fi. Have I? Hell NO! and I never will pay for wi-fi. There is no reason why wi-fi cant be free for everyone, it's extreamly cheap to setup and maintain, and the monthly fees for providing it come nowhere close to justify charging for it.

Boingo’s low-priced service plans – a $21.95 Unlimited

Get real.

-------------
Running unsecured 108G for all my neighbors. Do I care if the feds come for me instead of my neighbors? No, ignorance is definetly an excuse.

chr1s60
Aug 1, 2007, 12:17 PM
All airports should have free wifi. It is ridiculous to charge people to use the Internet while they wait for a flight. Buying a ticket should give you access since doing that will make the airport money in one way or another. I know some out there, like SMF in Sacramento now have free wireless and with the increasing number of people with laptops and smartphones with wifi, more airports should also be offering wifi free.

WildCowboy
Aug 1, 2007, 12:24 PM
"13 Major Airports"

AZO – Kalamazoo/Battle Creek International Airport

One of these things is not like the others... :D

Agreed that airport Wi-Fi should be free, but it is nice to see Boingo springing up as a competitor to the established Wi-Fi offerings in airports.

SirOmega
Aug 1, 2007, 12:24 PM
Some airports like LAS, RNO and MDW already have free wifi.

rachaface
Aug 1, 2007, 12:33 PM
score - i'm flying in and out of ORD and MSP for school and stuff all year :D

elfin buddy
Aug 1, 2007, 12:35 PM
There are plenty of airports that already offer free wifi, at least in my area. I think communities and airports should adopt a strategy like this:

http://www.fred-ezone.com/

Fredericton has been building and expanding a free municipal wifi network for the last four years. It originally started as a scheme to attract more business to the area, but now they're looking at wifi as something that should be a municipal utility and freely available to all residents.

It was weird when I moved out of Fredericton for the summer and, all of a sudden, I couldn't just open my laptop anywhere and get on the internet :(

Schtumple
Aug 1, 2007, 12:35 PM
I think Heathrow has free wi-fi, although i could be wrong, it seems stupid to not make wi-fi free, its like its a public service now, you get free wifi in london and possibly bristol...

It would be easy for a small wireless start up company to install the kit for free and then have free advertising, everyone wins...

tvguru
Aug 1, 2007, 12:44 PM
I thought YYZ had free wireless already? When I took my last flight out of there to LAX (June 06) I opened up my laptop and was pleasantly surprised. Could have just gotten lucky anyone know for sure?

NeilD
Aug 1, 2007, 12:50 PM
Just to let you guys know: McCarran International Airport in Las Vegas, NV has free wifi for all, and has had it for while. One more reason to visit Vegas.

There is also a big list of airports that have free wifi here (http://www.wififreespot.com/airport.html).

paulyras
Aug 1, 2007, 12:53 PM
Since we're compiling a list, CMH (Columbus OH) also has free WiFi, but at the speeds it runs at, it should almost pay you.

Oh, and CID (Cedar Rapids IA) does as well, as does Powell River BC (Don't ask). Knock yourself out next time you're there.

TheNumberOneFan
Aug 1, 2007, 01:30 PM
nothing i hate more than seeing open wi-fi somewhere and starting use it only to be greeted by a "sign-in" page

who even pays for wifi

PumaGuy
Aug 1, 2007, 01:30 PM
(YMQ) Pierre Elliot Trudeau Airport in Montreal already has WiFi, just like many others across NA :)

techster82
Aug 1, 2007, 01:48 PM
If I remember correctly Charlotte, as well as Dulles both had free wifi when I flew threw there a couple of weeks ago.

ct-scan
Aug 1, 2007, 02:00 PM
The EDGE network on the iPhone isn't that bad that I would subscribe or pay for WiFi network access.

I know Paneras give away free WiFi, maybe their airport locations do too :)

elfin buddy
Aug 1, 2007, 02:15 PM
who even pays for wifi

I paid for wifi once and only once. I was on my way out of a hotel, and I suddenly realised that I didn't have the information I needed for my flight. With no time to spare, I whipped out my laptop hoping for a wireless network...there was one, but it charged $15/hour. I paid $15 to use it for two minutes. I was not impressed.

fastbite
Aug 1, 2007, 02:20 PM
WiFi should be free!!! They can get their dosh in other ways. Idiots....

corywoolf
Aug 1, 2007, 02:23 PM
Wonder why Michigan gets two? :eek:

ScottW-CO
Aug 1, 2007, 02:50 PM
Yes, someone ELSE should be paying for YOUR free data access. It's the American Way!

On top that, someone ELSE should pay for your food, your rent, your car, your gas, your beer, etc. etc...

steamboat26
Aug 1, 2007, 02:59 PM
Not that i have an iphone, but why isn't Dulles (IAD) on there?

elfin buddy
Aug 1, 2007, 03:11 PM
Yes, someone ELSE should be paying for YOUR free data access. It's the American Way!

Who's American?

On top that, someone ELSE should pay for your food, your rent, your car, your gas, your beer, etc. etc...

Where I come from, it's a municipal service for which we pay through taxes :rolleyes: Airports could certainly find a way to turn free wifi to their advantage.

ajhill
Aug 1, 2007, 03:33 PM
With Apple in bed with Google now the real story of the iPhone is yet to come. Google's CEO is on Apple's board of directors and google maps and search are a big part of the iPhone. But the biggest tech story of 2007 has barely been covered.

Google is bidding for the rights to the spectrum that is now analog TV. Combine that with a huge network of dark fiber that Google installed a few years back. And that adds up to a company that is looking to replace ISPs with GoogleNet users. By law the access has to be free (part of the license agreement) and it will most likely be ad revenue supported.

For Apple that means that the iPhone will most likely be tied in through some sort of Google VOIP solution.

It's all part of Google's master plan to takeover the world ;)

m-dogg
Aug 1, 2007, 03:48 PM
Already free wifi at BDL (Bradley - Hartford/Springfield)

I remember reading something once that compared free wifi to air conditioning from years ago, and how it was used as a selling feature to get people to use a particular theater, restaurant, etc...I can definitely agree with that comparison.

Thankfully more & more establishments are seeing the benefit of offering free wifi to gain customers. There are a lot of times that free wifi was the deciding factor in where I ate a meal or what hotel I chose.

I think companies like Boingo target business travelers who don't care about the fee since they don't have to pay it...

Peel
Aug 1, 2007, 04:22 PM
:mad:Nothing on the west coast?
I fly up and down the coast all the time for work, but looks like I'm out of luck.

awatiker
Aug 1, 2007, 04:27 PM
I agree WiFi in airports, or basically anywhere that charges, is too expensive. I only ever do it when I expect to be stuck in an airport for several hours and have absolutely nothing to do. I typically pay in Cleveland where the cost is $4.00 for two hours which while surely a money maker doesn't seem wholly unreasonable. By the way an interesting thing I noticed is that if you connect to a wireless network at an airport, or anywhere else (you need not pay) and open iTunes Bonjour will find the other open laptops with iTunes and connect you to their music libraries. I won't pay however in New York where they charge $8.00 to access the web.

At Midway when connecting to the network it warns you of hackers creating free wifi networks to steal information. While I don't doubt this has occurred, how common is it?

joepunk
Aug 1, 2007, 04:39 PM
I don't believe that Sea-Tac will ever have free wifi. The city might make it free but I really don't think so.

I remeber that Disney World offers wireless for about $10 for 24hrs or $7 for an hour.

riverfreak
Aug 1, 2007, 04:47 PM
At Midway when connecting to the network it warns you of hackers creating free wifi networks to steal information. While I don't doubt this has occurred, how common is it?

Almost every big meeting or airport I visit, I always see "Free Public Wireless" computer-to-computer networks. Incidentally, there also happen to be lots of PCs around. I've always wondered if this is some sort of Trojan.

Note that the iPhone doesn't distinguish between computer-computer and base station networks.

riverfreak
Aug 1, 2007, 04:56 PM
I paid for wifi once and only once. I was on my way out of a hotel, and I suddenly realised that I didn't have the information I needed for my flight. With no time to spare, I whipped out my laptop hoping for a wireless network...there was one, but it charged $15/hour. I paid $15 to use it for two minutes. I was not impressed.

Been there!

Yeah, it's really inconsistent who chooses to offer free access. In Europe, the land of over-priced and transfer-limited Internet, I often find three star hotels offering not just free unlimited Internet, but WiFi as well.

The four- and five- star joints almost always charge for it, usually through something like swisscom, with limited amount of transfer at exorbitant rates equivalent to 30-40 USD / day. Absurd.

Airports are about the same. CDG of course charges for access and the signal isn't extensive. VIE is free with great signal throughout.

Anymore, I don't stay at a hotel unless they offer "free" unlimited internet. Keep the showercaps and shoe polish. I need internet.

daschor
Aug 1, 2007, 05:01 PM
Boingo offering a free trial? Who cares? Decent airports already offer free WiFi. Some cities are even starting to get on the bandwagon.

Here in Portland, Oregon, our international airport has had free WiFi for years, and now the entire downtown is getting (ad supported) free wireless as well.

I am somewhat surprised that more airports are not on board with this.

:apple:

voidptr
Aug 1, 2007, 05:19 PM
Rochester, NY (ROC) has had free WiFi for a while.

The "market rate" for airport WiFi is way too high.

deannnnn
Aug 1, 2007, 06:04 PM
Don't most (if not all) of those airports have free wifi already?
Fort Lauderdale International has it....
Many airports do now.

Maybe they figure that after they've just charged you $350 for that last minute fair they can at least give you some free internet :)

Anonymous Freak
Aug 1, 2007, 06:26 PM
:mad:Nothing on the west coast?
I fly up and down the coast all the time for work, but looks like I'm out of luck.

As someone else mentioned, Portland International already has free WiFi, and a list here (http://www.wififreespot.com/airport.html) shows the following Cali airports with free WiFi:
Meadows Field - Bakersfield
Chico Municipal Airport - Chico
Arcata/Eureka Airport - Eureka
Hayward Airport - Hayward
Livermore Airport - Livermore
Long Beach Airport - Long Beach
Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge - LAX
Modesto City-County Airport - Modesto
Redding Municipal Airport - Redding
BSAir at the Reedley Muni Airport - Reedley
Sacramento International Airport - Sacramento
Santa Maria Airport - Santa Maria
Santa Ynez Airport - Santa Ynez

Yeah, they're mostly small airports, but they are on the West Coast. (A few more small airports in Oregon and Washington also offer free WiFi, but Portland International seems to be the biggest.)

Almost every big meeting or airport I visit, I always see "Free Public Wireless" computer-to-computer networks. Incidentally, there also happen to be lots of PCs around. I've always wondered if this is some sort of Trojan.

Yes, it is usually a trojan. It is also possible that they are people actively trying to collect info. (i.e. the laptop owner knows full well what's going on.)

Here in Portland, Oregon, our international airport has had free WiFi for years, and now the entire downtown is getting (ad supported) free wireless as well.

It's more than just downtown. By the end of this year, 95% of the city proper should be covered. It already covers all of downtown, plus the nearby residential neighborhoods out more than four miles from downtown in one direction. (For Portlanders, it covers from downtown out to I-205, from about Fremont in the North to Powell in the South; and on the West side from US 26 South to Taylors Ferry Road, out to about 45th. Plus the area around U of P in North Portland.)

aaarrrgggh
Aug 1, 2007, 07:30 PM
The EDGE network on the iPhone isn't that bad that I would subscribe or pay for WiFi network access.

Edge is unbearable anytime there is a concentration of people using it. Airports are especially bad, as the phone system is already taxed, so they don't seem to open up as much bandwidth for data.

AT&T had better figure out some cheap ways to reduce the tax on their networks in this type of location; free wifi is the easiest one, but femtocells might make more sense for them.

Yankees 4 Life
Aug 1, 2007, 09:39 PM
Too bad in houston they charge you up the behind at 8.50 to use the wi-fi at bush and 4.00 at hobby... what a rip

GoCubsGo
Aug 1, 2007, 09:50 PM
They should have free wifi in airports regardless. I think that whole paying for it with the cost of air travel today is stupid.

yg17
Aug 1, 2007, 10:28 PM
STL is pushing the definition of major....our airport sucks :D

slu
Aug 2, 2007, 08:07 AM

Your comparison is dumb and makes no sense. I don't pay for the chair I sit on while waiting for a plane. I don't pay to watch the CNN TV while waiting for a plane. Is someone ELSE paying for these things?

Nope. We travelers do. You see, airports charge the airlines to use the gates, runways, and other infrastructure. Airlines then build this cost into the price of the tickets. You see how this works? In a complex economy, there are direct and indirect costs.

What most people here are saying is that Wifi is currently cheap enough that there is no reason that they should get extra revenue from it. It should be like the CNN TV. I happen to agree with this, but as capitalism is the American way (sort of), people must be paying for it, or it would go away.

If everyone stopped paying for wifi at airports, the pay services would disappear.

Jovian9
Aug 2, 2007, 08:44 AM
I am not paying to have wi-fi in a Chicago airport that ALWAYS fails to leave on time b/c other airports will not allow their planes to take off for Chicago being that Chicago airports can NEVER handle traffic congestion in their skies. I refuse to give any extra $ to those airports. I'd like to see a report done on how much money the Chicago airports make on food/gift shop items d/t people spending an extra hour+ in there b/c of all the delays they always have. /end rant :)
If anything all airports should provide free wi-fi since you have to put up with so much just to be in one and use their services and the price of food and gift shop items is ridiculous.

azis350
Aug 2, 2007, 09:31 AM
Sky Harbor airport in Phoenix has had free wi-fi for quite some time. Since I travel between Phoenix and New York often, it really annoys me that here in Phoenix I can surf for free as much as I want but while I"m waiting at JFK I have to pay for the same access. It's not worth it to me to pay for those 30 minutes or so at JFK. Maybe I'm just spoiled :D, but I believe public transportation areas such as airports should be covered by free wi-fi as a public service because of it's tremendous benefit to all travelers (try checking on flights that are delayed by talking to the counter agent -you'll get very little information from them, but online I can find out much more).

etaylor3971
Aug 2, 2007, 10:26 PM
If you're in Houston Intercontinental Airport, get close to the entrance of a Continental President's Club and you should be able to pick up on their free wi-fi signal (better yet, go inside and enjoy the free drinks and snacks if you have an Amex Business Platinum card or access some other way)

et.

MattG
Aug 3, 2007, 12:25 PM
I'm pretty sure the new RSW (Fort Myers, FL) Intl Airport has free wifi.

megfilmworks
Aug 5, 2007, 05:19 PM
I am not paying to have wi-fi in a Chicago airport that ALWAYS fails to leave on time b/c other airports will not allow their planes to take off for Chicago being that Chicago airports can NEVER handle traffic congestion in their skies. I refuse to give any extra $ to those airports. I'd like to see a report done on how much money the Chicago airports make on food/gift shop items d/t people spending an extra hour+ in there b/c of all the delays they always have. /end rant :)
If anything all airports should provide free wi-fi since you have to put up with so much just to be in one and use their services and the price of food and gift shop items is ridiculous.
I'm no fan of Chicago airports, Mid town or O'hare...but don't blame the problems on ATC not being able to handle traffic...Try blaming the horrible weather and greedy airlines who all want a hub in Chitown.

megfilmworks
Aug 5, 2007, 05:48 PM
Your comparison is dumb and makes no sense. I don't pay for the chair I sit on while waiting for a plane. I don't pay to watch the CNN TV while waiting for a plane. Is someone ELSE paying for these things?

Nope. We travelers do. You see, airports charge the airlines to use the gates, runways, and other infrastructure. Airlines then build this cost into the price of the tickets. You see how this works? In a complex economy, there are direct and indirect costs.

What most people here are saying is that Wifi is currently cheap enough that there is no reason that they should get extra revenue from it. It should be like the CNN TV. I happen to agree with this, but as capitalism is the American way (sort of), people must be paying for it, or it would go away.

If everyone stopped paying for wifi at airports, the pay services would disappear.I agree with you, if people stop paying for wifi they will probably get it free, probably by the little chain stores and eateries in the terminal. It is just plain naive to think you are sitting on a free chair at the terminal. Nothing is free, costs are hidden in fees and taxes(raising your ticket price, parking etc.) so suckers think they are free.

Martin C
Aug 6, 2007, 01:24 AM
Sweet, the two major airports in New York City (LaGuardia, JFK) have this.

Cooknn
Aug 6, 2007, 07:40 AM
Some airports like LAS, RNO and MDW already have free wifi....As well as RSW in Fort Myers.

Gonzlobo
Aug 6, 2007, 08:25 AM
ABQ in Albuquerque is free. Boo Minneapolis, they charge.