PDA

View Full Version : Tabbed Finder and Smart Folders?

Edot
Jul 29, 2003, 03:49 PM
Just wondering if anyone thinks tabbing the Finder would be beneficial. I always have multiple windows open in the Finder, probably even more than I do in Safari. Another idea, spawned from the "piles" rumors, is smart folders. A folder that will act like iTunes's smart playlists and link to files of the same type, name, creation date, etc.

Just some ideas I was thinking about and wondering if it was just something I wanted or would actually help other people out.

If these things exist already point me to them!

rainman::|:|
Jul 29, 2003, 04:12 PM
Hi--

First off, welcome another Iowan! I don't think i've seen you before... there are only a handful of us here. I'm in DSM, you?

Anyway, multiple window organization is one of the huge advantages of Panther, I don't know if you've seen Exposť yet (i have not) but I understand it's wonderful. Personally I never liked tabbed windows very much, but people organize things differently... I do think Exposť is long needed. Finder windows in OS X are just not as easy to use, it seems... Maybe i just have my icons set too big :)

The folder idea is a lot more complicated, if you referred to it as "live searching" it might be more accurate, because with the exception of aliases, folders only show physical locations... Meaning that the system would move files around by itself, which would keep me perpetually confused :confused:

:)
pnw

jbomber
Jul 29, 2003, 04:30 PM
somewhat related...

have you guys ever used the brain

http://www.thebrain.com/Default.htm

it's an interesting approach to mapping the files and directories on your machine. I don't know if it's robust enough to run as a standalone "Finder" of sorts, but it'd at least make an interesting file browsing system.

Edot
Jul 29, 2003, 05:25 PM
I am from Ankeny. I suppose searching is a better word for it. I think tabs are kind of a built in Exposť, the small mini icons are already there without the need to push a button. I can't wait for Panther though!