Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
Are there ANY rumors on what the replacement for the Mini might be? Anything at all?

We keep hearing about the iMac, but have heard nothing about the Mini other than it being discontinued.

I've been on the fence for a year thinking about buying a Mini as a media center PC. Taxfree weekend is coming up and I'm still thinking about it. I had been holding out waiting for a faster processor so that it could play 1080p video. But since then I've bought a 720p HDTV so I only need it to play 720p video. Can the 1.66ghz Mini play 720p wo problems? The Apple store doesn't have any on display, only the 1.83. I have a 1.83ghz Macbook so I know what that can do.

thesdx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2007
I highly doubt the Mac Mini will be discontinued. If it does, it will probably be replaced.

steamboat26

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2006
Arlington VA
The Cube 2.0? :D
last_2.jpg

applepimp

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2007
I use a 1.66 mac mini as my media center and it does high def all day long without problems. Mine is hooked up to a 32in lcd via dvi to hdmi cable

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
I use a 1.66 mac mini as my media center and it does high def all day long without problems. Mine is hooked up to a 32in lcd via dvi to hdmi cable
What else do you have in your setup? Do you use Elgato EyeTV Hybrid? I currently receive HDTV via cable QAM but I can't record it. I already have a media PC, but its no where near powerful enough to play 720p but it can play 480p.

Do you have an external drive?

I just bought a Vizio 42" LCD, I tried hooking it up via DVI to HDMI cable, but to my great surprise, the TV only supports 640x480 via HDMI. Doesn't make sense to me, but I ran into the same problem with a Samsung TV.

I hooked it up VGA and it works great 1366x768. Works great with my macbook too.

iDave

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2003
I just bought a Vizio 42" LCD, I tried hooking it up via DVI to HDMI cable, but to my great surprise, the TV only supports 640x480 via HDMI.
Play around with the display system preferences (resolution) on the Mac and the format settings for the TV. It should work! If not, I'd be on the phone with Vizio if I was you.

iDave

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2003
...the cube was in between the pro and consumer computers, the mini is not, by far a bridge between the mac pro and the imac
In those days, the iMac was Apple's low end and the Cube was almost like a high end PowerMac (only not as expandable). These days, the iMac is in the middle to high end and the mini is the low end. It's a much different product mix. I think the mini still has its place but there needs to be something better, to which I can attach my monitor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.