Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rman2008

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2002
michigan
Hey all,

I just got my iSight today, and I know how to use it and all, but I have two questions.

Can Windows Users use a PC webcam and be able to video chat with me?

Is it possible to capture video in iMovie with the iSight? (i know about QTBroadcaster, and things like that)

Thanks in advance.

ray

jimthorn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2003
Huntington Beach, CA, USA
Re: iSight Questions

Originally posted by rman2008
Can Windows Users use a PC webcam and be able to video chat with me?

Yes, but not with iChat. Try Yahoo chat.

Is it possible to capture video in iMovie with the iSight? (i know about QTBroadcaster, and things like that)

Not directly, no. You have to use the "things like that".

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
nope not yet. but i have a feeling this is apples next ipod. it is already a huge hit with apple users with the ease of use with ichat av. i dont think they will step on AOL's toes and make ichat for windows, but i think AOL will incorate isight support as well as compatibility with audio with mac users, just like how AOL added support for .mac users.

iJon

rman2008

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2002
michigan
Re: Re: iSight Questions

Originally posted by jimthorn
Yes, but not with iChat. Try Yahoo chat.

I downloaded Yahoo IM, and it says to log in with a Yahoo ID. I suppose I could but I really wouldnt want to make an ID for Yahoo, just so I can video chat. Is there any freeware program that allows video chat between Macs and Windows Users, and would allow me to use my existing AIM account?

rman2008

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2002
michigan
I read iJons post, but does that mean theres no possible way for me to video chat with windows users?

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
I've used Yahoo video chat, and let me assure you, the quality is comparable to ass, so I personally wouldn't litter my HD with it. I am sure Windows will have their own video chat soon, I've seen quotes by Gates talking about how he is going to pioneer video chat and saw him on some show late at night while flipping through channels. He was talking about video chat, tablet computers, and how he thinks Windows is revolutionizing our culture *cough yeah right cough*

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.