Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
One anonymous report claims that the Powerbook 17" is currently being given significant discounts as an internal promotion to Apple employees. The 17" Powerbook promotion purchases do not count towards the usual number of machines that can be bought at discount per year.

Special promotion lasts until September 26th, or while supplies last.

ig-88

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2003
this supports the Sept. 27th release date for the new powerbooks that I've seen on other message boards. hold yer breath... or don't. :)

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
Interesting how that coincides nicely w/ when the academic coupon ends...

So should we expect Tues Sept 30th?

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
Originally posted by ig-88
this supports the Sept. 27th release date for the new powerbooks that I've seen on other message boards. hold yer breath... or don't. :)

what other boards would they be? and if it was in Sept wouldn't Apple release it at MW Paris? isnt' that on in Sept?

jaedreth

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2003
In Iraq now
Announce vs Release

Apple could announce them in Paris, and still release them on the 30th... The 15" later if necessary. But at least announce an exact date, so the agony is spared.

Jaedreth

CaVoLo

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2003
i recently talked 2 a friend who is a contractor for apple....he actually worked on the G5 and has seen them b4 and he says that the pictures dont do it justice....anyways....he said the price that the employees get on the powerbook 17" is 2500

blueflame

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2003
Studio City
2 types of processors?

Is is possible that apple is pulling an Intel?
It seems to me, that apple may just release the new moto processor and put in in the powerbooks as a g5. kind of like what intel did with ther centrino. then the g4 could become the low end of the line, and go into ibooks, increasing the jump for eveything.

what do ya'll think, this seems entirely feasable.
Andreas

Omek

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2003
Danget! I hope they're released at the Paris Expo or maybe before that so I can still get one of the cool Apple deals. I like that one that lets you buy Final Cut Express for $99 when you buy ANY Mac!!!!! That's why I hope they update them earlier so I can get my order in....

Omek

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2003
Re: 2 types of processors?

Originally posted by blueflame
Is is possible that apple is pulling an Intel?
It seems to me, that apple may just release the new moto processor and put in in the powerbooks as a g5. kind of like what intel did with ther centrino. then the g4 could become the low end of the line, and go into ibooks, increasing the jump for eveything.

what do ya'll think, this seems entirely feasable.
Andreas

It think they could get away with that. They could just give that old crappy G4 processor to the ibooks... I don't think they could call the Powerbooks "G5s" until they get the actuall 970 or 980 in there....

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
Re: Powerbook 17inch Discounts @ Apple?

Originally posted by Macrumors
Special promotion lasts until September 26th, or while supplies last.
Here's a question for anyone that knows...

Has Apple run a promo like this before and released new product - yet continue the promo on old stock? Or does Apple typically wait until the promo is over, then release an upgrade?

blueflame

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2003
Studio City
Intel has done that

Intel had the pentium 4m processor, that was way scaled back, and actually, just a different processor, that they called P4, i would assume apple could do the same
Andreas

Sherman

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
Berzerkeley
It still sucked power like you had 4 extra displays on there or something.

Might as well just get a p3. It'll be just as fast but it won't eat your battery as much.

Back onto the topic though, I hope that they do release some new powerbooks. The 12" and definitely the 15" have really reached the end of their life cycle and are way overdue for an upgrade.

jaedreth

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2003
In Iraq now
DHagan4755

This has never happened before. We face an entirely new situation.

Previously, Apple naturally runs out of stock in time for updates because Apple stops producing products at the right time. Apple is usually very coordinated in this respect.

However Moto has thrown a few hundred monkey wrenches into Apple's Works... (pun intended)

So, no, I've not seen anything like this with Apple before.

Jaedreth

Billicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2002
Charles City, Iowa
Re: DHagan4755

Originally posted by jaedreth
This has never happened before. We face an entirely new situation.

Previously, Apple naturally runs out of stock in time for updates because Apple stops producing products at the right time. Apple is usually very coordinated in this respect.

However Moto has thrown a few hundred monkey wrenches into Apple's Works... (pun intended)

So, no, I've not seen anything like this with Apple before.

Jaedreth

Lol...:D

Come on, whoever is holding up the pipeline on these PowerBooks should be tarred and feathered...:mad:

jaedreth

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2003
In Iraq now
Tar and feathers

Yeah, and I know who: Motorola.

Someone should do a photoshop pic of the Motorola symbol with tar and feathers on it... LOL

Jaedreth

sanford

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2003
Dallas, USA
If they'd knock $400 off the retail price of the 17" in addition to cutting a great deal for their employees, they'd almost certainly manage to sell me one. I'd certainly forego the new-and-improved in Sept. or Oct. for a $2900 17" *now*.

esome

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2002
How much of a discount?

Just curious, but does anyone know how much of a discount is being offered to the Apple employees in this case? I mean exactly how much is a 17" powerbook in this deal?

thanks!

sanford

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2003
Dallas, USA
It's $2500, so $800 off retail but only $400 off the old employee price of $2900 (I have a friend who used to work for Apple and she told me what the original 17" discount price was).

jaedreth

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2003
In Iraq now
Discount

Usually it would be 10% discount for one computer bought for oneself, and 5% discount on two computers bought for friends/family. Yet this doesn't count towards these limits, and would likely be 10% of the discounted price.

But that's pure speculation.

Jaedreth

sanford

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2003
Dallas, USA
I don't think Apple uses discount percentages as is common for most retail outlet purchase programs. They set an employee purchase price for systems and distribute a price list. Of course, mathematically, it's always some percentage off retail, but there is no set percentage and it varies from product to product.

sanford

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2003
Dallas, USA
This does make me wonder if we might indeed some steep retail discount for customers on the 17" coming up soon. They've already discounted the TiBook and the 12" PowerBook -- and the 12" was apparently selling like hotcakes without a discount. If they have a surplus of 17s and are looking at a couple months or more before than can ship the new models, a few hundred dollars off would lean me much further in the direction of purchasing.

jaedreth

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2003
In Iraq now
Percentages vs Price List

Well, they have the Apple Store Online, why wouldn't they have an internal version? I'm not an employee, so I wouldn't have access to exact pricing, but on average, those figures I gave should be consistent.

Jaedreth

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.