PDA

View Full Version : Do you care if someone "wirelessly posted"?

dejo
Aug 2, 2007, 09:10 AM
What's with all the "Wirelessly posted..." opening lines in posts lately? And are these things automated or do the posters have to make an effort to add this? Seems like the online equivalent of wearing your cell-phone on your belt.

mkrishnan
Aug 2, 2007, 09:16 AM
And are these things automated or do the posters have to make an effort to add this?

They're automated. Note how a lot of them even have strings saying revision numbers or browsers. No one is going to type that in. I'm not even sure how one turns it off!

tobefirst
Aug 2, 2007, 09:20 AM
They are, in fact, automated. I bet they could be turned off via a preference or something, but maybe they are important for some statistics that Q is keeping or something.

I assume they appear because the user is using the mobile version of the forums? Is that correct? I know the couple posts I've made from my iPhone haven't had that, and I assume it is because I am using the full site. Can someone verify?

yg17
Aug 2, 2007, 09:29 AM
They are, in fact, automated. I bet they could be turned off via a preference or something, but maybe they are important for some statistics that Q is keeping or something.

I assume they appear because the user is using the mobile version of the forums? Is that correct? I know the couple posts I've made from my iPhone haven't had that, and I assume it is because I am using the full site. Can someone verify?

Yeah, the mobile version does that.

Personally, if I see that, I'm more likely to excuse crappy grammar, knowing how it's impossible to type on some cell phones

rdowns
Aug 2, 2007, 09:36 AM
Wirelessly posted (From my iPhone, bitch:D; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1C25 Safari/419.3)

I agree with yg17.

PlaceofDis
Aug 2, 2007, 09:42 AM
doesn't bother me since i know its automated. and its not like its huge text.
/shrug.

Markleshark
Aug 2, 2007, 09:48 AM
The actual text doesn't bother me, but I couldn't care less where they posted from.

xUKHCx
Aug 2, 2007, 09:51 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (2nd Generation 3G iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1C25 Safari/419.3)

I don't care either

tobefirst
Aug 2, 2007, 09:55 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (2nd Generation 3G iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1C25 Safari/419.3)

I don't care either

Hahahaha. Clever!

devman
Aug 2, 2007, 10:06 AM
don't care where the posts come from. turn off the ua string (if it's possible).

GoCubsGo
Aug 2, 2007, 10:09 AM
Yeah, the mobile version does that.

Personally, if I see that, I'm more likely to excuse crappy grammar, knowing how it's impossible to type on some cell phones
Posting from a wireless device is never an excuse for stupidity.

steamboat26
Aug 2, 2007, 10:12 AM
I think it speaks a lot about macrumors, it's too addicting, it's like crack. We've got people postin at home, work, and now on the streets, what's next? :D
Honestly, I don't care, but i think we need a rehab program

rdowns
Aug 2, 2007, 10:38 AM
I think it speaks a lot about macrumors, it's too addicting, it's like crack. We've got people postin at home, work, and now on the streets, what's next? :D
Honestly, I don't care, but i think we need a rehab program

We need a rich benefactor to build the Mad Jew Wing in a prestigious hospital. :D

rockthecasbah
Aug 2, 2007, 12:54 PM
I could not care less but if it gives someone else pleasure to see that something was posted differently, more power to them :)

mark!
Aug 2, 2007, 01:50 PM
Posting from a wireless device is never an excuse for stupidity.

I think the idea was that typing on a wireless device is difficult, not that posting on a wireless device was a permit for stupidity.

Dagless
Aug 2, 2007, 03:07 PM
Wirelessly posted from a giant floating potato

Rawr.

bennyboi
Aug 2, 2007, 03:29 PM
some dude in another forum has:
"Sent from my iPhone"
and it's NOT in his tagline. He actually types this. Every post. Hahahahaha!~ He's radical.
:p

FoxyKaye
Aug 2, 2007, 08:44 PM
No, it's lame.

iBookG4user
Aug 2, 2007, 08:46 PM
I could care less, it doesn't bother me if it's there though.

monke
Aug 2, 2007, 08:48 PM
Wirelessly posted from a giant floating potato

Rawr.

Wirelessly posted from underwater

Good one. ;)

synth3tik
Aug 2, 2007, 08:49 PM
It is a way to let bad grammar slip by. I know that when I am typing on something other then a full sized keyboard I tend to misspell and to use less pleasing grammar.

AidenShaw
Aug 3, 2007, 12:39 PM
some dude in another forum has:
"Sent from my iPhone"
and it's NOT in his tagline. He actually types this. Every post. Hahahahaha!~ He's radical.
:p

Not radical, he's sick.

I'd hate to see the UA string become some kind of status symbol - like the willy-wavers who list all their Macs and Ipods and stuff in their sigs....

Other than that, "Posted from MacRumors Mobile" without the UA string would be fine.

iKwick7
Aug 3, 2007, 12:44 PM
i think it's ridiculous when it's more than 3 or so words. "sent from mobile device" or the like is all good- but who really gives a goat ass about the specs and whatnot of said device. Ho hum.

After G
Aug 3, 2007, 01:05 PM
Instead of a distracting string, there should be a symbol so people who want to know more can hover their cursor over it and get all the information they want.

People who don't care can ignore the symbol more easily than ignoring a string of text and get on with life.

Then again, hovering over something won't work on iPhones ... so maybe making it white text instead would be good.

Anonymous Freak
Aug 3, 2007, 06:35 PM
Not radical, he's sick.

I'd hate to see the UA string become some kind of status symbol - like the willy-wavers who list all their Macs and Ipods and stuff in their sigs....

Other than that, "Posted from MacRumors Mobile" without the UA string would be fine.

Yeah, people who list all their Macs and stuff in their sigs are arrogant morons.... I can't stand it. :p (I'm actually going to change to *NOT* be that way as soon as I find a good quote. So my post will only be self-deprecating for a short time.)

hotsauce
Aug 3, 2007, 08:51 PM
Wirelessly posted (Apple Communication Device: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1A543a Safari/419.3)

It's not automated for me. I type that stuff in manually from my desktop. cuz itz teh kewl!!!

puckhead193
Aug 3, 2007, 08:58 PM
how is browsing mr from a phone.

hotsauce
Aug 3, 2007, 09:01 PM
Wirelessly posted (Apple Communication Device: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1A543a Safari/419.3)

Not radical, he's sick.

Yeah, people who list all their Macs and stuff in their sigs are arrogant morons.... I can't stand it. :p (I'm actually going to change to *NOT* be that way as soon as I find a good quote. So my post will only be self-deprecating for a short time.)

Dude don't hate :)

Anonymous Freak
Aug 4, 2007, 11:29 PM
Dude don't hate :)

Read my sig. My post was mostly in jest.

robPOD
Aug 4, 2007, 11:32 PM
Not radical, he's sick.

- like the willy-wavers who list all their Macs and Ipods and stuff in their sigs....

Hmm.... in your sig it says your getting a new home theatre PC on tuesday, Hypocrite?

Dagless
Aug 5, 2007, 06:02 AM
Wirelessly posted from a PowerBook in the garden, with the owner sat on the big trampoline watching the world go by

And it's true, too.

bartelby
Aug 5, 2007, 06:05 AM
Posted via Royal Mail

It doesn't bother me at all...

Scarlet Fever
Aug 5, 2007, 06:35 AM
Wiredly posted from my iMac

Not too bad, is it?

Wild-Bill
Aug 5, 2007, 07:08 AM
Looks like the "Could care less" votes have it!

yg17
Aug 5, 2007, 12:07 PM
Wirelessly posted (PPC; 240x320; HTC_P4350/1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 6.12))

wirelessly posted from a moving car. cell phones fftw!

and no, im not driving :p

bigandy
Aug 5, 2007, 12:07 PM
Posted via Royal Mail

oh, that's why your posts take so long to turn up :p

it's starting to annoy me, especially people who are trying to be clever by posting things like "iphone nano" and stuff. it's about as funny as those Powerbook G5 posts, which, somehow, are still continuing.

:mad:

bartelby
Aug 5, 2007, 12:10 PM
oh, that's why your posts take so long to turn up :p

Yeah, it's a good job I can see into the future. I sent that post last week and it turned up today.

Dagless
Aug 5, 2007, 02:05 PM
Looks like the "Could care less" votes have it!

No, the "could not care less" vote has it.

Sorry I'm just really anal about the bastardisation of that saying. oh, and wirelessly posted from the biggest Albanian sea horse's noggin in the world.

Dustman
Aug 5, 2007, 02:48 PM
wirelessly posted from a wire.

:cool:

Zwhaler
Aug 6, 2007, 10:39 PM
Wirelessly posted (enV Beyoch/Safari 4 Mobile (GUI) MMP/2.0)

I wirelessly post all the time. But that is because I am sometimes stuck in a place with no internet.

Fearless Leader
Aug 30, 2007, 06:35 PM
Why do we have it on top of posts posted from tiny devices?

zap2
Aug 30, 2007, 06:37 PM
Hmm, good question.

But if it MR, or the devices doing it?

siurpeeman
Aug 30, 2007, 06:41 PM
it's automated. i don't know the reason why, but there was a thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=336666) on this a few weeks ago.

fivetoadsloth
Aug 30, 2007, 07:09 PM
If someone makes a post form macrumours mobile page it appears as mobile.

Anonymous Freak
Aug 31, 2007, 07:22 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1C28 Safari/419.3)

I hadn't used the "mobile forums" before, I have always used a "real" browser on my phones. (Opera on Symbian and Motorola OS, Safari on iPhone.)

Now that I have tried the mobile forum, I think I like the standard one better anyway.

Anonymous Freak
Aug 31, 2007, 07:24 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/522.11.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0.3 Safari/522.12.1)

This is interesting, it shows what they posted from when they post FROM the mobile forum, but not when VIEWING the mobile forum.

ogee
Sep 2, 2007, 12:29 PM
Wired posted (MAC Pro/Safari 2.0.4/419.3) sitting at my desk

Doesnt really bother me either.

;)

dmw007
Sep 3, 2007, 11:08 AM
It doesn't really bother me either way. :o :)

thesdx
Sep 3, 2007, 04:55 PM
Wirelessly posted (iPod Touch; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1C25 Safari/419.3)

:D:D:D

Zwhaler
Sep 8, 2007, 01:55 PM
Wirelessly posted (iPod Touch; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1C25 Safari/419.3)

:D:D:D

It wont be long til we see this all the time :)

jczubach
Sep 8, 2007, 02:04 PM
Wirelessly Posted from my toilet????:eek:

Blue Velvet
Sep 8, 2007, 02:05 PM
At that point, we're going to leave it there. This thread has nowhere further to go.