PDA

View Full Version : Silence the 1.25 Ghz Emac

RickT67
Aug 2, 2007, 07:14 PM
Hi everyone..

I know my original mission is to overclock the 1.25Ghz Emac, BUT after a couple of trips to Radio Shack I have successfully made my Emac run silently (or as close to as I dare)... with using the $2.89 25 Ohm rheostat part #271-265. All I have done is cut the wire from the fan and used the rheostat to control the fan speed. Works like a charm. I will either be waking up tomorrow to a cooked Emac or it will be running like a champ! I will keep you posted. By the way... I am still wondering if anyone knows how to overclock this bad boy of an Emac. :-) I've upgraded the RAM to 1GB and the hard drive from 40 GB to 200 GB... I'm having fun with it... I am 4 months new to the Mac "movement" and I am not going back to Bill G. Can't wait for the new iMacs....!!!:)

DTG
Aug 2, 2007, 08:36 PM
Congrats on the modification - I hope all is still well in the morning!

Correct me if I'm being foolish, but is it really a good idea to throttle down the fan and then try to overclock the CPU? Sounds like you're asking for trouble to me. However, your request reminded me of this (http://www.lbodnar.dsl.pipex.com/eMac/eMac-upgrade.html) article from way back when.
Now, do take into consideration that the CPU being overclocked here is a much slower 800Mhz G4 and that your 1.25Ghz G4 is much closer to the "ceiling" of top speeds that G4s EVER reached. If I remember rightly the fastest G4 Apple sold in a desktop was the Dual 1.47Ghz and I believe that this was an overclocked chip.

Now, I'm just trying to give friendly advice but let us know what you think, and whether you're brave enough to try and squeeze some more out of your eMac.

RickT67
Aug 3, 2007, 06:09 AM
Yes, the Emac made it through the night :-) Keep in mind I didn't turn the fan off, but down just enough so that I can hear myself think while using my Mac. I appreciate the remarks about the max speed of the chip, I didn't know that, and it would explain why I haven't found much of anything at all about overclocking the 1.25ghz chip. I am happy with what I have right now with the upgraded RAM, HD, and quieter operation. Thanks again for the response :-)

KingYaba
Oct 7, 2007, 11:54 PM
So have you successfully overclocked the processor? I have the same exact model and wish to tinker with it.

Sun Baked
Oct 8, 2007, 12:13 AM
I glanced, the 7447/57 is still being sold in the 1267 speed.

Need to update to the 7448 unit to increase speeds beyond that, which means desoldering/soldering in the new unit.

And making the pin modifications needed to make in run, as well as setting the jumpers.

But you can likely go up to 1.7GHz.

Don't know if the even newer single/dual core units beyond that are drop in replacements for the old G4s.