PDA

View Full Version : 1200BHP Bugatti Veyron

edesignuk
Aug 3, 2007, 10:59 AM
1000BHP is for wimps. 1200BHP is where all the cool people are at, naturally.

Drool (http://jalopnik.com/cars/booyah-bugatti/the-bugatti-veyron-pegaso-edition-for-when-owning-a-bugatti-is-not-quite-exclusive-enough-285512.php).

FJ218700
Aug 3, 2007, 11:06 AM
I think SJ deserves one.

Lord Blackadder
Aug 3, 2007, 11:08 AM
It won't push the top speed up more than a couple MPH, if even that. But it will be good for bragging rights I suppose.

emw
Aug 3, 2007, 11:11 AM
At least now we know the kind of people who can still afford a Starbucks.

http://cache.jalopnik.com/assets/images/gallery/12/2007/08/medium_990143046_fa8fba16a2_o.jpg

samh004
Aug 3, 2007, 11:14 AM
That is a very nice car :eek:

FJ218700
Aug 3, 2007, 11:36 AM
does anyone know who makes the tires? 250 mph rated tires with tread is an engineering marvel. Are they F1 tires?

mfacey
Aug 3, 2007, 03:21 PM
does anyone know who makes the tires? 250 mph rated tires with tread is an engineering marvel. Are they F1 tires?

I seem to remember them being Michelin, but Im not sure.

bartelby
Aug 3, 2007, 03:31 PM
Meh...

I'd still prefer this:

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/images/large/2830-4.jpg

The only modern Ferrari I like

masterfu
Aug 3, 2007, 03:37 PM
It won't push the top speed up more than a couple MPH, if even that. But it will be good for bragging rights I suppose.

Yeah, I don't think it's going any faster. The amount of power needed to increase top speed is exponential, i.e. it might take another 250 HP to go from 252 MPH to 260 MPH. Not to mention the aerodynamic and fuel consumption limitations. IIRC, even at 1000 HP, the Veyron would run out of fuel in about 10 minutes at full throttle.

steamboat26
Aug 3, 2007, 04:17 PM
I love the Veyron, the speed adjusting wing is so cool :cool:
I read somewhere that they aren't going to profit from this car, it's just to get their name back on the map

bigandy
Aug 3, 2007, 04:58 PM
i think i need to watch the veyron episode of top gear again :D

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/bugatti4.htm

Michelin.
;)

masterfu
Aug 3, 2007, 05:22 PM

Hah, nothing better than seeing Captain Slow drive a car that goes 250 MPH... Nice to know some of us here watch that show, too.

bkvideography
Aug 3, 2007, 05:29 PM
such junk.....the mclaren only has 650hp and it still does 240+.......this thing needs over 1200hp to do the same?

Anonymous Freak
Aug 3, 2007, 06:30 PM
Yeah, I don't think it's going any faster. The amount of power needed to increase top speed is exponential, i.e. it might take another 250 HP to go from 252 MPH to 260 MPH. Not to mention the aerodynamic and fuel consumption limitations. IIRC, even at 1000 HP, the Veyron would run out of fuel in about 10 minutes at full throttle.

Yeah, I like the Top Gear episode where they say that at top speed, the tires will need to be replaced after 15 minutes; but that's okay, because it will run out of gas in 10.

So, a car that runs out of gas in 10 minutes (at 250 mph, that's about 40 miles per 26 gallon tank)... Compare to one that can be driven non-stop for 47 hours (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05220/550484.stm) (1200 miles on one 12 gallon tank of gas.)

xUKHCx
Aug 3, 2007, 06:37 PM
I love the Veyron, the speed adjusting wing is so cool :cool:
I read somewhere that they aren't going to profit from this car, it's just to get their name back on the map

Clarkson said it costs about £5 million to produce and they sell it for £800,000, but if it came out of clarksons mouth it is not guaranteed to be true.

such junk.....the mclaren only has 650hp and it still does 240+.......this thing needs over 1200hp to do the same?

I'm only seeing 210 mph for the SLR which is quite a difference.

jbernie
Aug 3, 2007, 06:56 PM
Clarkson said it costs about 5 million to produce and they sell it for 800,000, but if it came out of clarksons mouth it is not guaranteed to be true.

Should be the McClaren F1, the three seater where the driver sits in the middle of the car. sweet ride.

It has been a while, but i am pretty sure there were multiple reports on how the Bugatti was sold at a loss after the cost of the vehicle far exceeded the original expectations.

Both nice cars, it would be nice to have the money to own one... don't know if i would really want to own one... worry too much about damage etc. The door handles or something on the Bugatti are a few thousand alone.

obeygiant
Aug 3, 2007, 10:55 PM
Top Gear (YT) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lHcfXZbzjA) made me love that car. wicked.

Gymnut
Aug 4, 2007, 01:25 AM
Clarkson said it costs about 5 million to produce and they sell it for 800,000, but if it came out of clarksons mouth it is not guaranteed to be true.

I think he meant the McLaren F1 which was the fastest production car till the CCR & Veyron.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McLaren_F1

mrfrosty
Aug 4, 2007, 01:35 AM

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/bugatti4.htm

Michelin.
;)

I guess they would be pretty expensive tyres though, do you think they do remoulds ?

bigandy
Aug 4, 2007, 09:36 AM
such junk? first of all, it doesn't *need* 1200bhp, it was an exercise to prove it was possible to crank 1000bhp out of an engine not a huge amount bigger than a standard 8 litre V8. Secondly, it's a no expense spared, beautiful machine. The milled stalks on the steering column cost over $4000 each. The whole thing about it is luxury, which is more than can be said for the McLaren F1.

I'm still at a loss to understand why you think a car made specifically to prove points like the possibility of pushing 1000bhp out of an engine, running it to 400km/h and building the fastest car ever, is "such junk". Or did you think that when the F1 came out, and think it was junk because there was a previous car that could do 230mph?

I guess they would be pretty expensive tyres though, do you think they do remoulds ?
if you can afford that car, then you can afford the tyres :p

edesignuk
Aug 6, 2007, 06:12 AM
Regarding the cost. I seem to recall Clarkson stating that each one cost ~4m to produce (with R&D costs, materials, expertise and labour all taken in to account I assume), but sell for ~850k.

So you see, they're actually a bargain :D

Evangelion
Aug 6, 2007, 06:46 AM

Actually, the Veyron needs just 1001hp to do it. And there are few things to note: As Clarkson himself said it, when you push Ferraris, McLarens and the like to their limit, they feel like they are about to disintegrate on the spot. The Veyron on the other hand feels like a BMW on a freeway: smooth and controlled. And whereas the McLaren is a hard-core sportcar, the Veyron is a luxury-car that just happens to have top-speed of 400+km/h. It's a luxury-car that completely spanks just about every sportscar out there. But that luxury comes at a price: The Veyron weights over 700kg more than the McLaren F1 does. And while the F1 needs 3.2 seconds to do 0-100km/h, the Veyron needs just 2.5 seconds.

I honestly can't think why anyone could call the Veyron a "junk". VW basically told Bugatti to build the best car possible, no expenses spared. And they did it. Calling it "junk" is ignorant in the extreme. Everyone who has criticized the car and then driven it have backtracked on their previous negative comments. Clarkson hated the Veyron. The he drove it, and declared it to be the greatest car ever made. Gordon Murray, the head-designer of McLaren F1 hated the Veyron, until he drove it. Then he said that "It's a huge achievement.". And this is the head-designer of Veyrons #1 competitor speaking!

Fact is that the Veyron is the greatest achievement in automotive engineering.

iGav
Aug 6, 2007, 07:49 AM
it was an exercise to prove it was possible to crank 1000bhp out of an engine not a huge amount bigger than a standard 8 litre V8.

Not a huge amount bigger... :p it's got double the amount of cylinders for a start. :p

But it had already been proven... Koenig squeezed 1000bhp from Ferrari's 5 litre flat 12 from the Testarossa back in the '80's.

Throw enough turbos at something... :rolleyes: :p

takao
Aug 6, 2007, 11:47 AM
It's a luxury-car that completely spanks just about every sportscar out there. But that luxury comes at a price: The Veyron weights over 700kg more than the McLaren F1 does. And while the F1 needs 3.2 seconds to do 0-100km/h, the Veyron needs just 2.5 seconds.

Fact is that the Veyron is the greatest achievement in automotive engineering.

1001 HP out of 8 liters, 16 cylinders and 4 turbos, 60 liters of cooling water ? whopee doo

the Lancia S4 got 550 HP out of 1.8 liters, 4 cylinders, 1 turbo and 1 supercharger and needed 2.5 seconds for 0-100 km/h ... on gravel.. in 1985... by _italian_ engineers

Counterfit
Aug 6, 2007, 01:40 PM
1001 HP out of 8 liters, 16 cylinders and 4 turbos, 60 liters of cooling water ? whopee doo

the Lancia S4 got 550 HP out of 1.8 liters, 4 cylinders, 1 turbo and 1 supercharger and needed 2.5 seconds for 0-100 km/h ... on gravel.. in 1985... by _italian_ engineers

The Veyron won't need as much engine work afterwards though. :p

mad jew
Aug 6, 2007, 01:42 PM
...And it can turn left.

bartelby
Aug 6, 2007, 01:42 PM

And, as far as I'm concerned, the Lancia is a lot classier!!
I loves me the Delta!

tkermit
Aug 6, 2007, 08:55 PM
Probably a nice car for people who don't mind driving a Volkswagen... ;) :o

Ralph Lauren drives the standard-edition Veyron by the way :cool:

Evangelion
Aug 7, 2007, 02:57 AM

Well, Lancia and Veyron were designed for two totally different uses. One is a frigging rally-car, whereas the other is a luxury-car. And the Lancia has a lot less torque (333lb-ft vs. 922 lb-ft).

Seriously: am I talking to a bunch of 12-year olds here? "But this car is better because it can get half as much power from a lot smaller engine!". Well, if they only cared for getting as much power from the engine as possible, they could do it. But they have other priorities besides that. Lancia was designed for a very specific purpose: as a _group B rally-car_. Veyron is NOT designed as a rally-car. You are comparing apples and oranges here. And what would the S4 be like to drive in everyday traffic? Veyron manages it just fine.

Does the Veyron suck because there are drag racers out there that are faster in acceleration?

bartelby
Aug 7, 2007, 03:00 AM
But they have other priorities besides that. Lancia was designed for a very specific purpose: as a _group B rally-car_. Veyron is NOT designed as a rally-car. You are comparing apples and oranges here. And what would the S4 be like to drive in everyday traffic? Veyron manages it just fine.

The S4 was also a road car, it had to be under Rally rules. Apparently it drives very well in everyday traffic.

Evangelion
Aug 7, 2007, 03:58 AM
The S4 was also a road car, it had to be under Rally rules. Apparently it drives very well in everyday traffic.

And the road-version of the S4 had considerably less power and torque than the rally-version... Rally-version had close to 600hp, whereas the road-version had just 250hp.

Lord Blackadder
Aug 7, 2007, 06:51 AM
The Delta S4 was a car well ahead of its time - I'd love to see one in the flesh.

But there's no doubt in my mind that the Veyron is a much more accomplished sports car than the Delta - even the Group B version. The race-prepped Delta was all about performance at the cost of comfort, reliability and ease of use.

steviem
Aug 7, 2007, 09:06 AM
I've seen a road going S4 in the flesh, and it has suffered from the same thing that its italian contemporaries have suffered with - Rust.

Anyway, lets all think about the feat VW achieved by engineering such a powerful car designed for the road....

We don't see anything that would be as scarily fast and comfortable as that built by an American company. Remember it needs to be able to take corners too...

bartelby
Aug 7, 2007, 09:11 AM
I've seen a couple of S4 Stradales both were in minty fresh condition.
Beautiful cars, I'd love and Integrale.

There's a guy who lives in my area who had a full collection of homologised Group B cars. All in top condition.
His Metro 6R4 was insane!

edesignuk
Aug 7, 2007, 09:15 AM
Am I reading correctly? Are people seriously comparing this to a Lancia S4? Could they BE more different? http://up.edesignuk.com/files/1/Images/Smilies/ShakeHeadNoNoNo.gif

Bjerre
Aug 7, 2007, 10:17 AM
I am a huge fan of the Veyron. I've only seen one on the road and that was in Dubai when I was visiting my aunt. The license plate on that car probably cost more than the car itself, "1" is really expensive, and for royalty. IICR, some dude paid 3 Million USD for a number 7 plate. My aunt has the privilege of having a "1" car cause it was given to her by a Sheikh.

diamond3
Aug 7, 2007, 11:21 AM

At the end of the day though, I'd rather say that I have a brand new car with 1000+hp then the alternative.

I've actually seen the Bugatti in person from a neighbor/friend and believe me you can hear the power in that car. I like also how you can raise and lower the suspension for when you go extremely fast. The two key feature is kinda cool. There aren't many in the states, and he just sold it to Nicholas Cage I hear.

xUKHCx
Aug 7, 2007, 11:36 AM
At the end of the day though, I'd rather say that I have a brand new car with 1000+hp then the alternative.

I've actually seen the Bugatti in person from a neighbor/friend and believe me you can hear the power in that car. I like also how you can raise and lower the suspension for when you go extremely fast. The two key feature is kinda cool. There aren't many in the states, and he just sold it to Nicholas Cage I hear.

Whats this two key thing. Is it like the two keys i need to get in and start my renault 5 or is it two keys that need to be used at the same time more than arms length apart, one by you the other by a state assured psychotherapist to certify you sane before you drive the thing.

diamond3
Aug 7, 2007, 11:55 AM
There are two keys, the first one is more along the lines of normal driving (If its possible with a car of that caliber). The second allows you the top speed. I've heard some people say that the first one only uses 500hp of the car but I don't know how true that is.

In fact, the driver gets two keys: one to start the car and allow enough power for normal driving about town, and a second key (that fits a lock next to the driver's thigh) that unleashes the full power. Of course, at maximum speed, the 22-gallon fuel tank will run dry in just 12 minutes, although you'd have covered 51 miles, probably in white-knuckled terror.

How awesome does that sound...:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Fdb8FdXfPU&mode=related&search=

iGav
Aug 7, 2007, 02:43 PM
How awesome does that sound...:D

Not quite as awesome as having the one key and being able to cane it at will. ;)

diamond3
Aug 7, 2007, 06:43 PM
Or so you can keep the fast key for yourself and never tell your wife about it.;)

Lord Blackadder
Aug 7, 2007, 08:59 PM
I'm not sure what is more crazy - the Veyron itself or the thought that at some point in the next decade a hypercar manufacturer will try to eclipse it with something even wilder.

dsnort
Aug 7, 2007, 09:06 PM
I wonder what it's carbon footprint is? Will there be a hybrid version? ;)

Lord Blackadder
Aug 7, 2007, 09:14 PM
Gah...the Veyron flies in the face of all that is green...and I love it.

mpw
Aug 7, 2007, 09:26 PM
Meh...

I'd still prefer this:

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/images/large/2830-4.jpg

The only modern Ferrari I like
Which Ferrari were you linking too, I can't see the picture?
And, as far as I'm concerned, the Lancia is a lot classier!!
I loves me the Delta!
I loved the Delta HF Integrale I used to drive in the early 90s, probably one of the most awesome performance cars I've driven.

Counterfit
Aug 8, 2007, 02:20 AM
Which Ferrari were you linking too, I can't see the picture?

The 330 P4/5.

Man, i wish Ferrari would make another prototype racer. Like the 333SP. That thing pwned for quite some time. :D

Anonymous Freak
Aug 8, 2007, 05:15 AM
I wonder what it's carbon footprint is? Will there be a hybrid version? ;)

No, but the fastest Car Top Gear ever put through their track ran on Ethanol (http://www.topgear.com/content/features/stories/2006/08/stories/01/1.html) (before they crashed it.)

absolut_mac
Aug 10, 2007, 09:17 PM
1000BHP is for wimps. 1200BHP is where all the cool people are at, naturally.

A car aficionado friend of mine sent me this 7 minute video of the Veyron undergoing it's paces to see if it really can do 407Km/h. A little out of my price bracket though ;)

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x157l2_bugatti-veyron-at-top-speed

carlgo
Aug 11, 2007, 10:01 AM
Geez, as soon as I buy the 1000hp version, they come out with the 1200hp model. Is there an update coming out soon, or should I just buy the new one now and sell the old one on ebay? Is there provision for an iPod shuffle?

bigandy
Aug 12, 2007, 04:49 AM
Will there be a hybrid version? ;)

Probably not, but the new Koenigsegg CCXR runs on biofuel and produces 1018bhp @ 7200rpm. :eek:

From a 4.7 litre engine. :eek:

The first one built was photographed for Top Gear Magazine. Koenigsegg said they wanted their engineer to drive it between the photoshoot locations, because of what The Stig did to the other one that they had... And what did the engineer do? Crashed the bugger. :rolleyes:

Sly
Aug 12, 2007, 08:35 AM
That number plate must have been at least a few hundred thousand!!

If your in the UK you can see the Veyron in the flesh at Beaulieu along side an F1, Enzo etc, etc. Its actually quite a big car along side the two aforementioned models.

Lord Blackadder
Aug 12, 2007, 09:20 AM
the first one built was photographed for Top Gear Magazine. Koenigsegg said they wanted their engineer to drive it between the photoshoot locations, because of what The Stig did to the other one that they had... And what did the engineer do? Crashed the bugger. :rolleyes:

That's kind of silly...it isn't as if the Stig crashed it because he was incompetent - he was pushing the car purposely to its limits, and Koenigsegg knew that.

Just wait till they finally get a Veyron on the test track.