Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
how do I let windows read the mac hard drive?

It depends on what you are doing? If you are using bootcamp, either of the previously mentioned software apps will do the trick.

If you are using Parallels the Mac and Windows drives are available to each other starting with version 3 you can drag and drop as needed.

Cheers,

ToastMaster

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2005
Tacoma, WA
MacDrive is the way to go. It works perfectly with my external HD and allows me to use it to back up data on both Windows and OSX.

aloysius95

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2012
I developed a small program, that installs the bootcamp drivers on any windows machine, it will let you easily read HFS+ partitions on windows... Check it out http://hfsplus.codeplex.com

marikavs

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2006
Opposite

how do I let windows read the mac hard drive?

I had the opposite problem. I wanted to STOP Windows from reading (or even mounting) the OS X partition as D:. I found this solution on the Internet. Rename AppleMNT.sys in the System32 folder (in \Windows) to have a different extension, like .sav e.g..

This worked like a charm for me, so maybe you need to look for, or somehow acquire if you don't have it, the AppleMNT file and put it in the System32 folder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.