Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

netdog

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
London
Anybody know how to reset the ATV to default settings? I don't have the original remote which I had locked to it, and so I can't use any other Apple remotes to operate it until I restore ATV factory defaults. Help!

pjarvi

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2006
Clovis, CA
Press and hold "Menu" and "|<<" for 6 seconds to use any remote with the AppleTV (found this info on page 41 of the :apple:TV UserGuide on Apple's website.

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle
I was wondering what I was going to do when I inevitably lost that little bitty remote that I have paired with my :apple:TV. I'm glad to know I can use the one from my Macbook to unlock it. Thanks for the info!

kwood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2006
In the Great White North.
Press and hold "Menu" and "|<<" for 6 seconds to use any remote with the AppleTV (found this info on page 41 of the :apple:TV UserGuide on Apple's website.

They do not have the remote.

Try turning the Apple TV on then off a few times, it should put it into automatic recovery mode.

Or if you have another Mac use the remote from it and hold menu and >>| to unpair the remote. Then you should be able to use any remote.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.