Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JonD25

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
I'm wanting to redesign my portfolio site, and I was thinking of going with a minimal look with some of those reflections that Apple is so fond of using. (for an example, go to apple.com and look under the iPhones, or go to apple.com/mac and look under all the different products on the top)

But my questions is, do you think that it's starting to become an overused/cliche effect? I like the effect, but I can see where it could be getting a little overused lately. Or, if it isn't yet overused by everyone is, is it the kind of effect that is automatically identified with Apple, so much that if you saw a site that had nothing to do with Apple, you'd think they stole the design idea from Apple? So what are your opinions. To use reflections or not?

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
Reflections...DO NOT WANT.

do-not-want.jpg

They are already way past the cliché stage, reflections like those in Coverflow are in the beating a dead design horse phase.

JonD25

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
Hahaha, yeah I had a feeling so. I'm just beginning to seriously get in to the design world, and although I've been a student at it for a couple years, I haven't gotten that deep in to it yet.

This is somewhat off topic, but how do you guys find inspiration for design ideas? I'm kinda at a roadblock with how to design and organize my site. Coming up with that first initial spark of inspiration is always the hardest part for me.

Abraxsis

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2003
Kentucky
Here is the biggest tip I can give. Good design takes time. Dont be afraid of the Delete Layer button ... hell dont be afraid to hit it several times. I developed a new logo for a game my company is releasing in our Monty python line. I worked 2 hours this morning and when I was done .. hated it. I hit the Delete Layer button about 8 times, and then worked with the elements that I did like for another 3 hours and there I have it.

People all too often look for inspiration outside of themselves, but sometimes the greatest inspiration is what you produce while your trying to find some inspiration.

Might be a tad "metaphysical" for most. So here is a small list of things I usually try and get inspiration from.

-Ringing School of Art and Design college catalogs ... something to behold truly.
-The gorgeous women walking down the street outside my window
- Various design mags
- My own and other's Photography
- Art in general
- Deviant Art
- Design websites
etc etc etc.

Hahaha, yeah I had a feeling so. I'm just beginning to seriously get in to the design world, and although I've been a student at it for a couple years, I haven't gotten that deep in to it yet.

This is somewhat off topic, but how do you guys find inspiration for design ideas? I'm kinda at a roadblock with how to design and organize my site. Coming up with that first initial spark of inspiration is always the hardest part for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.