PDA

View Full Version : Missing 1913 Liberty Head Nickel Appears

eyelikeart
Jul 30, 2003, 12:05 PM
Could u imagine having this in storage, and taking it out only to find out it's authentic & worth $1 million to a collector?! :eek: :D

story here (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=519&ncid=519&e=1&u=/ap/20030730/ap_on_re_us/million_dollar_nickel_2)

wdlove
Jul 30, 2003, 04:51 PM
Gee eyelikeart, I spent mine a few years ago. Now I can just drown in my sorrow!

Mr. Anderson
Jul 30, 2003, 05:01 PM
Where are you digging these things up eye?

Anyway - I wouldn't mind finding a million dollar coin myself :D But seeing that the 4th coin actually went for 1.4 million in 96, I'm thinking they'll be able to do much better if they decide to auction it off themselves.

D

idea_hamster
Jul 30, 2003, 05:01 PM
The numismatic holy grail -- quite a find.

Reminds me of that family in the midwest that had bought a painting of some irises at an art store and had it up in their living room -- turned out to be by Van Gogh. Went for $16MM.

Makes you want to go through the attic....

Capt Underpants
Jul 30, 2003, 06:37 PM
Very neato burrito find. Kinda makes me jealous. I wish that I could find a 1913 liberty nickel. Really cool read, though. Just shows that you never know what you have. It's really cool reading stories about people lucking into money. You always think that it could happen to me.

Macmaniac
Jul 30, 2003, 06:51 PM
I wish I had one, i could buy alot of G5's with that!

idea_hamster
Jul 30, 2003, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by Macmaniac
I wish I had one, i could buy alot of G5's with that!

Just call up Steve Jobs and ask how many G5's you can get for a nickel...

eyelikeart
Jul 31, 2003, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
Where are you digging these things up eye?

ha ha...I read the internet more to get what's going on in the world than I do print...

as for digging them up...I'm just trying to go for the most non-apple related news stories posted... ;)

3rdpath
Jul 31, 2003, 10:44 PM
even when i was a young coin collector the 1913 v nickel was legendary. what i find amazing is that all 5 were accounted for...even the last one's location was fairly well-known. just needed the 10k viewing reward to get it public.

wish it was mine but alas the best i have is an e.c. 1909 svdb that i bought for one dollar. the person i bought it from had 6 of them ( really!) and had no idea what they were worth. i made her a deal to buy one for a dollar and tell her the value of them...seems surreal since coin valuations are easily available in any book store...but it did happen.

it's worth about $1200.00 now.