Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chone

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
Has anyone checked out the 3 minute island walkthrough video? (you can download the HD version at fileshack).

Crysis is looking so awesome graphically speaking and the gameplay looked so friggin good as well, I'm really excited about this game now.

I'm definitely building a new top of the line computer for this game alone when it comes out, I'm afraid not even my X1900XT Mac Pro could run it in all its glory.

Is anyone else as excited for Crysis? You can check the video I'm talking about right here: http://www.fileshack.com/file.x/10878/Crysis+Island+Walkthrough+Trailer

contoursvt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
Its the only game I'm waiting for :) I tried Farcry back in the day so I'm definitly looking towards Crysis. I think your X1900XT should be just fine by the way :)

Has anyone checked out the 3 minute island walkthrough video? (you can download the HD version at fileshack).

Crysis is looking so awesome graphically speaking and the gameplay looked so friggin good as well, I'm really excited about this game now.

I'm definitely building a new top of the line computer for this game alone when it comes out, I'm afraid not even my X1900XT Mac Pro could run it in all its glory.

Is anyone else as excited for Crysis? You can check the video I'm talking about right here: http://www.fileshack.com/file.x/10878/Crysis+Island+Walkthrough+Trailer

Chone

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
I know it will but I want the full experience and I need a new gaming computer anyways, kentsfields and 8800s go for cheap these days. My Mac Pro is not really my gaming machine :p

Cabbit

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2006
Scotland
Its ment to run fine on a Geforce 8600 at med to high settings. Your Radion is a pretty powerful card and it sould run the game well just without some of the fancy shader 4 effects.

pcorajr

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2007
that game looks great. Man I hope that the new iMacs come with a good video card. Wonder is this is a DX10 game, hopefully it's not.

Mac.Jnr

macrumors member
May 26, 2007
It is a DX10 game but you can still play without Vista or a DX10 card, you'll just won't have the extra features and eye candy. I hope the next iMac will be able to play this at native resolution! 1900x1200 is pretty darn demanding so it might look a bit grim.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Downloading the vid now. I'm pretty excited for Crysis, just for the free-roaming FPS and smart AI. I can see some pretty intense battles in this. That said I won't be upgrading or buying a new computer for this, it's just a game after all.

Just hope it doesn't lose itself half way in like Far Cry did.

Cabbit

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2006
Scotland
achually now after seeing the id tech 5 game RAGE im fare more impressed with it. It looks a little more gritty but i could see a great new alien vs preditor game being made with it that would be sweet.

azizane

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2006
i don't think Rage will hold a candle to Crysis, since id are known for making dumb AI games which is really a shame for games with good graphics.

Crytek just seem to know how to take games to the next level.

Cabbit

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2006
Scotland
i don't think Rage will hold a candle to Crysis, since id are known for making dumb AI games which is really a shame for games with good graphics.

Crytek just seem to know how to take games to the next level.

its the hundreds of GB's of textures without preformance penaltys im interested in. Id can make a bad AI all they want as long as other people buy there engine, strap on the halflife 2 physics and AI + a good story line and we got a killer game.

BrandonSuxxx

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2007
i have a few questions about this game that i cant seem to find answers too.

is this game coming out for mac because i think the CEO of EA did say that they were going to start supporting games for mac as well as windows.

also can i run this game on the 2nd gen Mac Book Pro with 3gigs of ram and **** it if i have to run it in windows its not a big deal.

also is this game going to have online play because that is essential for any FPS and if it doesnt i am not buying it.
:apple:

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
its the hundreds of GB's of textures without preformance penaltys im interested in. Id can make a bad AI all they want as long as other people buy there engine, strap on the halflife 2 physics and AI + a good story line and we got a killer game.

Hundreds of gigabytes, eh?

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
i have a few questions about this game that i cant seem to find answers too.

is this game coming out for mac because i think the CEO of EA did say that they were going to start supporting games for mac as well as windows.

also can i run this game on the 2nd gen Mac Book Pro with 3gigs of ram and **** it if i have to run it in windows its not a big deal.

also is this game going to have online play because that is essential for any FPS and if it doesnt i am not buying it.
:apple:

Online play is not essential to a FPS.
You will be able to run it on the old MBP, but probably only on low settings.
You will almost certainly want to run it in Boot Camp. You'll be able to push the graphics higher in XP. And for everyone with a SR MBP, like me, a copy of Vista is looking good. The cost of it isn't.

I don't know much about Cider, but if EA can use a DX10 wrapper for OSX which runs as well as it would under Vista, that would be the optimal solution for all of us.

And um, wasn't the new id engine that was shown off at WWDC showing off hundreds of GB's of textures?

Chone

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
Online play is not essential to a FPS.
You will be able to run it on the old MBP, but probably only on low settings.
You will almost certainly want to run it in Boot Camp. You'll be able to push the graphics higher in XP. And for everyone with a SR MBP, like me, a copy of Vista is looking good. The cost of it isn't.

I don't know much about Cider, but if EA can use a DX10 wrapper for OSX which runs as well as it would under Vista, that would be the optimal solution for all of us.

And um, wasn't the new id engine that was shown off at WWDC showing off hundreds of GB's of textures?

Hundreds of GBs of textures? And how is that going to fit on a game? BluRay eight layered discs? Where did this tidbit come from, are you guys talking about MegaTexture technology? Because that is VERY different from hundreds of GBs of textures :rolleyes:

TheSilencer

macrumors regular
May 27, 2007
The Problem with DirectX10 or OpenGL Shader 4.0 ports is the huge framerate drain on graphics cards. DX10/OGL Shader 4.0 will drain up to 70% from the basic power of a card in quality mode and mid res like 1280x1024 -> 100FPS DX9 -> 30FPS DX10. However, these huge framrate loss is only showed with DX10 today, as we have no OGL Shader 4.0 games today, so it could be that a OGL Shader 4.0 port game perform better as a native DX10 game on Vista.

Also, it could be that Multi Threaded OGL could help out this situation on Macs but you need a card with at least 512MB VRAM or enough system RAM to give the card some extra space. In that case - in theory! - a OGL Shader 4.0 port that runs on, lets say 14FPS, will run with 28FPS. But this is SPARTA! ... uhm theory!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.