PDA

View Full Version : 4,000,000 Post Ultimate Apple Fanatic Contest

Doctor Q
Aug 4, 2007, 09:10 AM
MacRumors has reached its four millionth forum post (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/08/03/macrumors-reaches-four-million-posts/). To celebrate with some tongue-in-cheek silliness, we are having an Ultimate Apple Fanatic Contest!

Create and submit your photo, audio recording, or movie portraying yourself as the stereotypical Apple Fan. We're playing off the myth that all Apple customers are cultist followers of Apple's leaders and unquestioning enthusiasts for Apple's every product. For this contest, your assignment is to play that part!

Winners will be chosen in two categories: Best Fan, Photo - for photographic "proof" that you are the Ultimate Apple Fanatic.

Best Fan, Multimedia - for audio or video "proof" that you are the Ultimate Apple Fanatic.
Contest entries will be judged by our members, based on how well the entries fit the Apple Fan theme, plus creativity, humor, and technical skill. Each winner will receive two prizes: Priceless bragging rights.
A Contest Winner badge http://images.macrumors.com/im/contest_winner.png next to all of their posts.
The contest begins as of this announcement. Contest entries can be submitted for the next 10 days. Submissions will close at end of day on Monday, August 13, 2007, at midnight U.S. eastern time, after which all members will vote for the winners.

We're holding the contest just for fun, and we hope you enjoy preparing entries and seeing what others come up with. To enter the contest, see the rules in the next post. To see the contest entries, watch the threads in the 4,000,000 Post Contest forum.

Doctor Q
Aug 4, 2007, 09:10 AM
General Rules

1. Eligibility. Any active MacRumors member can enter the contest and vote for the winners. Contest entries are by individuals; no team entries. You can submit as many entries as you like, but at most 4 per person will be eligible to compete to win (by default, your most recent 4 entries). MacRumors administrators and moderators may submit entries, but they are not eligible to win.

2. Originality. Submissions must be new work done by you. Exception: You may use photos, audio recordings, or videos of yourself that you have previously posted at MacRumors, as long as they are re-submitted following contest procedures.

3. Entries. Each contest entry is the first post in a thread in the 4,000,000 Post Contest forum. The contest entry consists of
the thread title
the post body
Photo contest: an attached file
Multimedia contest: a linked-to audio or video file
The usual limits on post and attachment sizes apply. You and others may post further comments in the thread, but they are not part of your contest entry.

4. Links. Contest posts must be self contained; you may not use IMG/TIMG/URL tags to link to files or locations elsewhere on the Internet, or even at MacRumors. Exception: For the Multimedia contest you upload your audio or video file and then link to it in your post.

5. Eligible photos. Your Photo contest entry should be a photo of yourself or a photo you took that shows you to be an Apple fan. You may attach multiple photos if they are of the same scene or event. Photoshopped (doctored/faked) photos are acceptable. Cartoons, graphics files, and animations are not appropriate.

6. Eligible audio and video files. Your Multimedia contest entry should be an audio recording of you, a video of you, or a video you took, that shows you to be an Apple fan. These files should not be doctored/faked beyond normal editing.

7. Contest Etiquette. All contest entries must be family-friendly and in good taste. All forum rules apply. No campaigning for votes or against "rival" entries.

Entering the Contest

To enter the Best Fan, Photo contest: Click here (http://forums.macrumors.com/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=111) to start a new thread in the 4,000,000 Post Contest forum.
Give your thread a suitable title.
Attach your photo. If you know how, you may convert it to an inline attachment.
Describe the story behind your photo (unless it's obvious), whether it's real/photoshopped, etc. Make your case as the Ultimate Apple Fanatic.
If you do NOT want your entry to be one of your (maximum 4) competing entries, put the phrase "Extra credit - not for contest." at the bottom of your post.
Submit your new thread!

To enter the Best Fan, Multimedia contest: Go to our Contest Upload Page (http://att.macrumors.com/contest.php).
Select and upload an audio or video file in one of these formats: .mp3, .m4a .mov, .mp4, .m4v (maximum 15MB). Wait for it to upload and display the resulting URL. Copy the URL.
Click here (http://forums.macrumors.com/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=111) to start a new thread in the 4,000,000 Post Contest forum.
Paste the URL of your uploaded file. You may put URL tags around it or let the forum software add them automatically.
Give your thread a suitable title.
Describe the story behind your audio or video (unless obvious). Make your case as the Ultimate Apple Fanatic.
If you do NOT want your entry to be one of your (maximum 4) competing entries, put the phrase "Extra credit - not for contest." at the bottom of your post.
Submit your new thread!

Contest Winners

1. Submission period. Once the contest submission period ends, we will make an announcement in this thread, determine eligibility, and prepare polls to let members vote for the winning entries. Posts that are subsequently edited may become ineligible.

2. Voting. Polls will be open for a stated number of days. We encourage all members to vote, based on how well contest entries fit the Apple Fanatic theme, creativity, humor, and technical skill. Do not cast votes based on personal popularity, member status, or other factors not related to the contest.

3. Ties. The entry with the highest vote count wins the contest. If a poll results in a tie, the winner is the contest entry submitted first (with the lowest thread number).

4. Rules. It is your responsibility to follow the rules for your entry to be eligible to win. If you have comments or questions about the contest rules and procedures, post them in this thread.

5. Problems. Should unforeseen circumstances arise or rule interpretations be necessary, the moderators will make the decisions. We take no responsibility for unexpected problems that might interfere with the contest. We'll do our best and we're doing this for fun!

Anonymous Freak
Aug 4, 2007, 01:47 PM
Is it 4 entries per contest (i.e. four 'Best Fan, Photo', and four 'Best Fan, Multimedia')? Or 4 entries total?

Blue Velvet
Aug 4, 2007, 01:49 PM
Is it 4 entries per contest (i.e. four 'Best Fan, Photo', and four 'Best Fan, Multimedia')? Or 4 entries total?

You can submit as many entries as you like, but at most 4 per person will be eligible to compete to win (by default, your most recent 4 entries).

To me, the categories don't come into it.

Doctor Q
Aug 4, 2007, 10:22 PM
Right. You can have up to four entries total.

Bobdude161
Aug 5, 2007, 03:52 PM
Haha this is gonna be fun! I gotta find some way to put my Mac room into this. :D

Bobdude161
Aug 12, 2007, 02:27 PM
contest entries seem a little low. the 3 mil contest had sooo much more entries. what's going on? is no one a fanatic?

Aperture
Aug 12, 2007, 10:18 PM
contest entries seem a little low. the 3 mil contest had sooo much more entries. what's going on? is no one a fanatic?

I know. I can't say I feel this contest was/is a success. We have 1 video entry and it just a video some guy made on his Mac. Does he win by being the only entry?

We also have:

Two Apple Tattoos. One of which looks very fake.
One ransom note that has been omitted from the contest.
One photo of iBlue
One photo of an old PB and a new MBP
A photo of someone & their computers
And... One photo of an Apple Store.

Come on, someone else (not that all entries are bad!) has to submit something by tomorrow night!

Anonymous Freak
Aug 13, 2007, 05:05 PM
Unfortunately, most of my proof-of-fanatic-ness is away in storage while we remodel the basement... I've got a few old pictures of it, but it lacks the 'presentation' of when we finish the basement. And since it's all put away, I can't get any video. (I'd like to have one with my PowerBook Duo workstation, complete with PowerCD and Apple Adjustable Keyboard, but they're put away.)

Heck, I don't even have any pictures of me waiting in line for the iPhone! (If I'd had the presence of mind to record the news, you would have seen me for a fraction of a second as the cameraman ran down the line.)

Anonymous Freak
Aug 13, 2007, 08:37 PM
I created a video, under 15 MB, yet when I use the upload page, it spends the time to upload (I've calculated that based on my benchmarked upload speed, it takes the right amount of time,) yet goes right back to the stock upload page, no confirmation, no URL...

Doctor Q
Aug 13, 2007, 08:46 PM
I created a video, under 15 MB, yet when I use the upload page, it spends the time to upload (I've calculated that based on my benchmarked upload speed, it takes the right amount of time,) yet goes right back to the stock upload page, no confirmation, no URL...I don't know how quickly we can diagnose and fix the problem, so please put the video anywhere and link to it. We'll still consider it a qualified contest entry while we figure out what the uploading problem is.

Doctor Q
Aug 13, 2007, 11:00 PM
The 4,000,000 Post Ultimate Apple Fanatic Contest is now closed to new submissions.

Polls to let you vote for your favorite entries will be posted in this forum tomorrow!

Thanks to everyone you entered the contest!

liketom
Aug 14, 2007, 04:31 AM
The 4,000,000 Post Ultimate Apple Fanatic Contest is now closed to new submissions.

Polls to let you vote for your favorite entries will be posted in this forum tomorrow!

Thanks to everyone you entered the contest!

What over ? i only just saw we had one :( o well here's to the 5 million

Doctor Q
Aug 14, 2007, 08:31 AM
Help us select the winners of the 4,000,000 Post Ultimate Apple Fanatic Contest. All MacRumors members are invited to vote.

Please review all of the entries and then vote once in each category:Ultimate Apple Fanatic Contest, Best Fan (Photo)

Ultimate Apple Fanatic Contest, Best Fan (Multimedia)
The polls will be open through the end of Monday August 20, 2007, closing at midnight EST. Then we'll know the winners!

Doctor Q
Aug 20, 2007, 11:13 PM
The 4,000,000 Post Ultimate Apple Fanatic Contest is now over.

And the winners are...

Best Fan, Photo

The winner is iBlue for the exposed apple fan, which earned over 60% of the vote in that category.

Honorable mention goes to lexus for My entry and to Tetraeon for I am the Apple and the Omega.

Best Fan, Multimedia

The winner is Bobdude161 for Video: "Am I the Ultimate Apple Fanatic?".

Honorable mention goes to ehurtley for Video: "Construction delays". which was a very close second place.

May iBlue and Bobdude161 wear their Contest Winner badges proudly, and enjoy their bragging rights as well.

Thank you to everyone who participated in the contest by entering, commenting, and/or voting, and congratulations to our Ultimate Apple Fanatic winners!

Anonymous Freak
Aug 20, 2007, 11:15 PM
The 4,000,000 Post Ultimate Apple Fanatic Contest is now over.

And the winners are...

Best Fan, Multimedia

The winner is Bobdude161 for Video: "Am I the Ultimate Apple Fanatic?".

Congrats, Bobdude161! It was close. (Dang, my brother-in-law didn't log in this last week to vote for me! Although that still would have left me one vote shy.)

iBlue
Aug 21, 2007, 12:51 AM
<- Whoa, a badge!

WOW, the video entry was very close!
Not a whole lot of participation on this contest as a whole, unfortunately. Maybe we can drum up more excitement for the 5 million contest (should there be one)

Thanks everyone who voted for me. :o :)

Bobdude161
Aug 21, 2007, 06:12 AM
kewl. I've gotta say that was pretty close. The thing i don't understand tho is that the polling thread for the videos had about 250 views but only 14 people voted. :confused: I really wanted to see more participation and more entries for this contest. :(

ah well, thanks to all who voted and ehurtley you got a vote from me. :)

annk
Aug 21, 2007, 02:48 PM
<- Whoa, a badge!

WOW, the video entry was very close!
Not a whole lot of participation on this contest as a whole, unfortunately. Maybe we can drum up more excitement for the 5 million contest (should there be one)

Thanks everyone who voted for me. :o :)

I actually looked for this thread, but didn't find it in time. :o I would've voted for you, iBlue, I love that photo you did, so I'm really glad you won.

floriflee
Aug 22, 2007, 09:33 AM
I wish I'd looked at the contest entries sooner (today's the first day)! Excellent work by the winners and runners-up! I love 'em!

ericthered
Aug 27, 2007, 08:00 AM
Congrats, Bobdude161! It was close. (Dang, my brother-in-law didn't log in this last week to vote for me! Although that still would have left me one vote shy.)

I was on vacation and totally out of touch with the unreal world (Camping in the redwood forest) Otherwise you'd have been just that much closer.