Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andrew07

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 25, 2007
1. Does Handbrake save anything on my hard drive besides the finished ripped H.264 file? So when Handbrake first opens and I select the DVD to copy/import/whatever, is this saving some sort of copy somewhere on my hard drive?

2. Can anyone notice a difference in quality when using or not using 2-pass encoding?

3. When ripping from a fullscreen DVD instead of a widescreen, do I use different settings than a width value of 320?

4. It doesn't seem handbrake is using all of my MBP's CPU power. Is there a way to make it use 100%?

5. Is there a way to make a widescreen DVD take up the full iPod screen?

6. Finally, what Average Bitrate Quality and Picture Settings are you all using?

Mernak

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2006
Kirkland, WA
1) Not as far as I know, it just reads the data from the dvd.

2) I am sure at lower bitrates it would help, but when I tried it I couldn't tell the difference.

3) Depends if you want to watch it on your computer of not. but the width should be 320 (iPod only) or 640 (iPod or computer) as long as you keep the aspect ratio.

4) Not as far as I know. But it does go quicker if the dvd is clean.

5) Either stretch the video (unclick "keep aspect ratio" and set height to 240/480, but looks weird) or crop the sides off a bit.

6) Depends, if you are going to watch them on the iPod only, I would use 320x240, 500 kbps video, 128 kbps audio. For both iPod and computer viewing I would use 640x480, 1450kbps video, 160kbps audio. This assumes it is full screen.

doublebullout

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2007
Shreveport, LA
1. Does Handbrake save anything on my hard drive besides the finished ripped H.264 file? So when Handbrake first opens and I select the DVD to copy/import/whatever, is this saving some sort of copy somewhere on my hard drive?

2. Can anyone notice a difference in quality when using or not using 2-pass encoding?
(1) No, it doesn't make an extra copy.
(2) Yes, 2-pass will improve the quality somewhat, all other settings being equal.

Are you using the latest version of HandBrake? Version 0.8.5b1 includes presets for Apple TV, iPod, and PS3. This is a good guide for ripping for iPod: http://www.phoppe.com/HB/movie/movie.html

Andrew07

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 25, 2007
Thanks so much for the replies, very helpful! Handbrake's iPod setting uses a higher output size, 2-pass encoding and higher average bitrate than what I tried last night.

When I ripped Hot Fuzz last night, I used single pass, highest audio settings, 640 Average Bitrate and picture settings set to 320. Took 49 minutes and the movie was 2 hours 1 minute.

I did a couple tests using different settings. Of course changing the picture settings had a drastic impact on how the image appeared on my 20'' Mac monitor, but on my iPod video, I could not tell the difference between my settings and Handbrake's ''iPod preset''

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.