PDA

View Full Version : Eyegonomic opinions?

idea_hamster
Jul 30, 2003, 04:46 PM
I was looking into getting a new monitor and had noted on a different thread that http://www.eyegonomic.com/ has a line of monitors with sweet design. So I checked it out and it's true -- they are just beautiful.

But I noticed that they only have a VGA connection. Eyegonomic claims in their FAQ section that their VGA is as good as DVI (see http://www.eyegonomic.com/expert_question.dsp?question=33&area=14). Can this be true?

Is a VGA TFT monitor worth it? Or will I be sad that I didn't get something that has DVI?

tazo
Jul 30, 2003, 10:14 PM
I personally would not buy a product over 50 dollars unless I had read a bunch of information on it, and researched it thoroughly; regardless of the design and the connection therein, i find it is always best to get actual user's comments on the product :)

and i agree those are sweet :)

-tazo

voicegy
Jul 30, 2003, 11:10 PM
I just wet myself over the Eyeboard. It makes the SmartBoard look like a cheesy, clunky mess. (gotta work on my department head to get one of those!)

http://www.eyegonomic.com/page.dsp?page=50

mnkeybsness
Jul 30, 2003, 11:12 PM
the company is based out of europe. they don't even post their prices on their site. i have a feeling they would charge you an enormous amount of money for the product, plus a ton on shipping.

i second tazo's remark about always doing lots of research before buying something expensive. i spent about 2 weeks researching digital cameras and testing them out in stores before i bought my sony dsc-f717 (the L shaped 5 MP). i couldn't be more happy with it, and i'm glad i did all the research. it was very worth it.

voicegy
Jul 30, 2003, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by mnkeybsness
the company is based out of europe. they don't even post their prices on their site. i have a feeling they would charge you an enormous amount of money for the product, plus a ton on shipping.

i second iJon's remark about always doing lots of research before buying something expensive. i spent about 2 weeks researching digital cameras and testing them out in stores before i bought my sony dsc-f717 (the L shaped 5 MP). i couldn't be more happy with it, and i'm glad i did all the research. it was very worth it.

They're Danish, so I lean towards trusting the integrity and manufacturing standards...my Bang & Olufsen 7700 (Danish home entertainment manufacturer) was purchased 15 years ago and I've only just recently replaced the cartridge for the record player...other than that, it's a beaut. Yes, it cost an arm and a leg, but it's been more than worth it for award winning design and reliability.

This company has an outlet in Washington. I think I'll give 'em a call tomorrow!

idea_hamster
Jul 30, 2003, 11:53 PM
Any thoughts on the VGA-only aspect?

They say that their VGA is as good as DVI...is this possible? or likely?

I mean, I'm willing to pay a bit extra for a delicious design, but I'm not sure that I'm willing to sacrifice substantive performance. Has VGA technology advanced this much?

voicegy
Jul 31, 2003, 01:07 AM
Poor idea_hamster...still waiting for an appropriate answer. OK, back to the post topic...Maybe this little discussion group can help:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?X1CD13175

cb911
Jul 31, 2003, 03:24 AM
ha ha. :D

i saw 'eyegonomic' and thought that someone was trying to spell 'ergonomic'.

LOL! :D :D

zvitali
Jul 31, 2003, 06:50 AM
I would trust them on DVI-VGA thing. There is a common misconseption that DVI is far superior to VGA and thus should cost more. Actually DVI is much simpler. It basically a digital signal and goes straight to the monitor. While VGA need to be first converter from analog to digital.

If this converter is good, you get the same quality as with DVI. Many cheap companies would build monitors with both DVI and VGA connections and of course will put the worst converter in there. Then it comes at no surprise that switching them from VGA to DVI does miracles.

On the other hand, companies like Sony are still using primarily VGA on their LCDs and the quality is awesome.

Mr. Anderson
Jul 31, 2003, 06:58 AM
Interesting, but no pricing and the one place that sells them in the states in Washington - the west coast.

Anyone ever see these things in person?

I think that if I'm going to get new monitors with my new machine I'll stick with Apple. They'll get covered under the Apple Care as well.

D

legion
Jul 31, 2003, 09:38 AM
I'd be suspect of anything without DVI these days if you're spending a good load of money. Even the greatest D-A converters (and then again the additional, A-D converters) are a poor substitute for direct digital.

If you've got the money (~$2600), the Sony PremierePro 24" is spectactular. It has better brightness, contrast, colour, and resolution than the Apple 23" Cinemas. We've got multiple of both at work and switching to the Apple Cinemas after working at the Sony's is just painful (it's like loosing some of your vision.) After 6 months of dealing with both, most of the staff has convinced TPthatB to phase out the Cinemas. I've recently seen the Sony Lumas --those easily rival the looks of the eyegonomics, but though I haven't seen the pricing, I'm sure they're very, very pricey since they are broadcast quality screens.

idea_hamster
Jul 31, 2003, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by voicegy
Poor idea_hamster...still waiting for an appropriate answer.
Hey, no worries -- it's a discussion, not a press conference, right? (If all y'all were calling in this stuff on my (800) number, that might be different :D )

So what I'm taking away here is that it's not a clearly false claim that their VGA is as good as DVI, and if I'm not using this for pre-press professional whatever, it's probably better than my blood-shot eyes. :cool:

Thx, all.

iJon
Jul 31, 2003, 10:53 AM
i second iJon's remark
ok this is getting really annoying. thats not me, its tazo. why did you make a avatar so close to mine, i liked your old one.

iJon

mnkeybsness
Jul 31, 2003, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by iJon
ok this is getting really annoying. thats not me, its tazo. why did you make a avatar so close to mine, i liked your old one.

iJon

sorry i did that iJon...that's exactly why i thought it was you. i actually noticed it right before i saw your post and edited it. i think you two need to compromise somewhere...and really, i'm on your side that you had your avatar much longer than tazo.

iJon
Jul 31, 2003, 11:10 AM
sorry i did that iJon...that's exactly why i thought it was you. i actually noticed it right before i saw your post and edited it. i think you two need to compromise somewhere...and really, i'm on your side that you had your avatar much longer than tazo.
honestly i really dont care, buts its proven to be annoying. just because are referring him as me, plus now when i scroll down i have to look at the name too. its was because i had it first, it just makes it easy for everyone on the site to be able to find one another by their avatar.

iJon

patrick0brien
Jul 31, 2003, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by legion
I'd be suspect of anything without DVI these days if you're spending a good load of money. Even the greatest D-A converters (and then again the additional, A-D converters) are a poor substitute for direct digital.

-idea_hamster

Good example of not-so-good A/D and D/A conversion, check out Gateway's Profile 4. Ghosty.