PDA

View Full Version : can't see a printer connected to another local computer...

QCassidy352
Jul 30, 2003, 06:38 PM
I'm on an ibook running 10.2.6. I'm trying to use an epson usb printer connected to an emac running 10.2.6. The two computers are connected to each other through a hub, and each can see the other if I select "connect to server" in the finder. Printer sharing is on on the emac (and the ibook, not that it should matter).

But when I try to print from the ibook, I can't see the emac's printer. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

e-coli
Jul 30, 2003, 07:37 PM
Go into print center. Click add a printer. When the window comes up, select Remdezvous from the drop down menu. The printer should become visible.

Set is as default. You'll be good to go.

e-coli
Jul 30, 2003, 07:39 PM
Here's an avatar for you.

Free of charge. ;)

QCassidy352
Jul 30, 2003, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by e-coli
Go into print center. Click add a printer. When the window comes up, select Remdezvous from the drop down menu. The printer should become visible.

Set is as default. You'll be good to go.

I've tried that. No printer is visible. Other thoughts?

thanks for the avatar. ;)

Balin64
Jul 30, 2003, 08:48 PM
I do this all the time with my G4 and my iBook through AirPort. First, make sure that you create a network on the eMac. Then, turn on printer sharing. Connect to it from your iBook, say "eMac's Network." Print Center should then automatically see the Epson printer. I do this at work also: I plug in my 'Book to the network, and voila, the networked laser printers and Epson printers are there to share. these, however, are connected to a Windows network athat has already been configured. Basically, tell your eMac to become a network by and it should work. Or it might not, but if it works over AirPort, I assume it will work over 10BaseT. Good Luck!

e-coli
Jul 30, 2003, 08:49 PM
Open the printer sharing port in your firewall? Is your fire wall turned on? Try turning it off.

QCassidy352
Jul 30, 2003, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Balin64
I do this all the time with my G4 and my iBook through AirPort. First, make sure that you create a network on the eMac. Then, turn on printer sharing. Connect to it from your iBook, say "eMac's Network." Print Center should then automatically see the Epson printer. I do this at work also: I plug in my 'Book to the network, and voila, the networked laser printers and Epson printers are there to share. these, however, are connected to a Windows network athat has already been configured. Basically, tell your eMac to become a network by and it should work. Or it might not, but if it works over AirPort, I assume it will work over 10BaseT. Good Luck!

thanks for the response. What do you mean by "create a network on the emac?" How is this done?

e-coli -- the firewall is off, so that shouldn't be an issue.

QCassidy352
Jul 31, 2003, 02:11 PM
can anyone tell me how to "create a network" on the emac?

Rezet
Jul 31, 2003, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by e-coli
Open the printer sharing port in your firewall? Is your fire wall turned on? Try turning it off.

Hey ecoli, thats a cool icon you got there. Can you send me one of those? I wont use it here.