Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbl594

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2006
so i just a bought my first Macbook and am in need of some help. so i had a POS dell before and used iTunes and had a ipod mini and ipod nano. first time my dell crashed i lost everything i had on itunes that was on my mini. then i got a nano and the PC crashed again but i had been able to back up to an external harddrive. so i bought a macbook. My question is can i get the music from both my ipods or atleast my external harddrive, on my mac book? i tried to plug in the external hard drive (that is supposed to be compatable with apple) but it didnt recognize it. any suggestions? can i just plug in my ipods? will it pull the music off and save it to my iTunes? please help!!! lol

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
if you plug in the iPod it should let you take any songs that you bought from iTunes and put them onto your macbook after you have authorized it, or else there are programs that will let yu take the music off, I can't think of any specific ones right now, but google should find you some.

DaftUnion

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2005
Wisconsin
What type of external hard drive is it? I find it hard to believe because if it is an NTFS format OS X will read this but not write to the drive. Fat32 it can read and write to.

If you plug your iPod into the Macbook, it'll ask if you want to sync it to the current library. You want to say "NO" as this will erase what's on there.

Set the iPod to manual and you should be able to put the music onto the Mac. I don't have my iPod in front of me or I'd go into more specifics. Other forum members should be able to elaborate on this more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.