PDA

View Full Version : iPhone vs. Facebook

katie ta achoo
Aug 6, 2007, 02:29 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

I was at Target today searching for an elusive pair of size 10 peep-toe canvas flats that went on sale for $6. I'm frugal (not cheap). As I'm digging through the aisle of shoes, I hear the sky open up, and thousands of gallons of water beat on the roof of the store.

Oh, happy day. It's raining like no tomorrow.

I keep looking for the little shoes as the rain comes down. Eventually I give up on my little mission and sit down at the in-store Starbucks and fire up my iPhone to kill some time. I can't drive in that weather! My tiny Hyundai will float away!

Read Full Article (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2007/07/27/iphone-vs-facebook/)

janey
Aug 6, 2007, 02:31 AM
my biggest fb+iPhone gripe is the inability to use mobile uploads. Unsupported, and no timeline on when there might be a workaround or something. Sigh.

macduke
Aug 6, 2007, 02:58 AM
i've never had any problems with facebook on the iphone. what upsets me is how the upload buttons and browse buttons for sending files are always grayed out. i wish i could upload photos on the go like any other phone. why does apple have to be so picky and lock us out?? i wonder if facebook will make an option where you can email the photo from the iphone to them and it will auto post it? that could be a possible work around.

now what about myspa...wait, that's for old people and little kids. facebook is the future. i love it.

janey
Aug 6, 2007, 03:01 AM
i wonder if facebook will make an option where you can email the photo from the iphone to them and it will auto post it?

I actually suggested this to facebook a couple nights ago...if iPhones can't do MMS, then it would be awesome if we could email photos instead a la Flickr...no go, at least, not yet.

loudestnoise
Aug 6, 2007, 03:18 AM
I use Facebook on my iPhone with generally no problems. The only issue I have is that the status update field is unelectable within Safari iPhone. The other problem I have is that Facebook's Mobile Uploads require an MMS message to be sent to upload pictures, so that means iPhone is not capable of doing so. Believe me, I've tried. I even sometimes will use Mobile Facebook (http://m.facebook.com) when I'm on EDGE, just because it loads quickly, and I can still leave comments, do general stuff. I would however gladly welcome and iPhone optimized version of the site. This would be fantastic

samh004
Aug 6, 2007, 03:31 AM
Do you think of of the newer apps could be causing the problem. Perhaps there are one or two that just don't work well with iPhone. After all, they are third party.

rachaface
Aug 6, 2007, 03:39 AM
i've never occurred any problems with facebook, but sometimes to be safe i'll just use m.facebook.com (the mobile version) because of edge speeds. that might work for you

wannger27
Aug 6, 2007, 04:18 AM
I've never had any problems with Facebook on my iPhone either.

On different note, I am a college student as well, and I was thinking: wouldn't it be awesome if you could give Power Point/Keynote presentations right from your iPhone? Like there would be some video out adapter that lets you connect the iPhone to a projector and you could even use the iPhone as remote. Just a thought... :rolleyes:

sillycybin
Aug 6, 2007, 06:14 AM
I dont have an iPhone, and I have never used Facebook before.... but I have to say, and I know other guys agree with me on this:

Flats donnot look good on any chick.... no matter how hot you are (or are not).

and ballet shoes are for ballet. just like wrestling shoes are for wrestling, and kleets are for turf sports. lets keep our shoes in their correct venue..

thank you for your co-operation.

graymccarty
Aug 6, 2007, 08:31 AM
I'm in Canada so I don't have an iPhone, but when I visited the states I tried one out, and one of the first sites I went to was facebook. Everything seeemed to be ok, except for the status update feature, which someone mentioned above.

floatingspirit
Aug 6, 2007, 08:58 AM
"Arn/Editor Note: We've heard that Facebook is actually working on an iPhone optimized version and it may be here as soon as Tuesday."

Is there anything you don't hear Mr. Arn?! That's a cool update.

Katie: your blogs are fun to read, thanks! As for the floating Hyundai...I was thinking you could just put a heap of iPhones in the trunk to weight it down...you'd have a solid little Hyundai-Hummer type creation, but with more ringtones:) (or maybe I should avoid posting before 7am!) Really though, neat blogs.

gcortega
Aug 6, 2007, 09:19 AM
My safari crashes on the regular about 4 times a day regardless of being on fb or not.

v1.0.1 safari fix = my ass.

Apple needs to fix this safari crash problem it's getting a bit ridiculous

longofest
Aug 6, 2007, 09:30 AM
v1.0.1 safari fix = my ass.

Apple needs to fix this safari crash problem it's getting a bit ridiculous

Before they fix safari on the iPhone, they have to fix Safari on the desktop :rolleyes:

Anyways, I still think v1.0.1 had some pretty nice fixes. It didn't make Safari rock-solid, but I find it does crash LESS. They obviously found some of the conditions in which it would crash, and alleviated them. Then, of course, there are the other fixes in 1.0.1 (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2007/08/01/updates-and-fixes-in-iphone-1-0-1/) which made the update well-worth it.

odHbo
Aug 6, 2007, 12:07 PM
There was one night when I had to make several attempts to get past the log-in page on facebook because my Safari kept crashing. It would be great if Facebook supported the iPhone.

dextertangocci
Aug 6, 2007, 12:33 PM
Facebook also crashes a lot when I'm browsing the normal page (not the mobile page) with Opera Mini on my Nokia n73. It also only crashes when their are lots of apps on a page.

:(

mogema
Aug 7, 2007, 01:16 AM
I know that this is not the place to rant about facebook apps, but come ON they can get messy. I enjoyed facebook when they were simple, clean php pages.

TurboSC
Aug 7, 2007, 03:40 AM
The most aggravating thing about websites on iPhone is my stupid password in which takes 5 minutes to enter because I use it across all my mediums... lol, yes, I'm lazy.

Southern
Aug 7, 2007, 05:03 AM
Never mind inoperability with iPhones, it's these damn Facebook apps that dilute the experience for everyone. I preferred Facebook to Myspace because the layout was fixed and clean - at last you can read what you want to and not have to sit through gunk (flicker photo albums for example) and listen to some useless boy-band playing in the background (hate!). And the style meant that you couldn't change it to maroon text on a blue background, or some other horribly clashing colour scheme that made the text illegible.

Now with all these Facebook apps, pages are getting longer and more annoying to scroll down, and certainly on mobile devices, it must be more difficult to display all these applications - all the excess code is just simply too much for the little iPhone, let alone other things.

jt2ga65
Aug 8, 2007, 08:05 PM
Hmmm... Facebook just looks like myspace for college students. Just the latest stupid elitest community that I wouldn't bother going to. Get a life. Go outside and take a walk in the park. Refrain from loading facebook on your iphone while there.

And, peep toe shoes are bad for your feet. They force your toes into the wedge, where they don't belong, and end up causing bunions and ****. Wear open toe shoes instead, if you want your toes showing.

-jt2

phungy
Aug 8, 2007, 08:11 PM
Hmmm... Facebook just looks like myspace for college students. Just the latest stupid elitest community that I wouldn't bother going to. Get a life. Go outside and take a walk in the park. Refrain from loading facebook on your iphone while there.

-jt2

I completely agree with you. This is why I've deactivated my account for almost a year now. I know many friends who compulsively check Facebook. Our computer labs now kick people out if they are caught checking Facebook because they aren't being productive!

jt2ga65
Aug 8, 2007, 08:16 PM
I completely agree with you. This is why I've deactivated my account for almost a year now. I know many friends who compulsively check Facebook. Our computer labs now kick people out if they are caught checking Facebook because they aren't being productive!

That's funny. I actually only check forums when looking for something, so I'd never be able to deal with myspace or facebook or stuff that require you to constantly be checking web sites. I can deal with email and IMs that come to me, but I don't really want to have to deal with actively looking for my messages and friends.

It's not that I really care if people want to spend their time on this stuff. I just don't want to be bothered by the insanity. No offense to Katie.

-jt2

mattportner
Aug 11, 2007, 04:40 PM
I use Facebook mobile. It works fast and flawlessly with the iphone.

http://m.facebook.com

dv24
Aug 17, 2007, 05:02 PM
oh - it's here!

http://iphone.facebook.com/

bluedevil14
Aug 17, 2007, 05:46 PM
ive used facebook on iphones all the time without anyproblems, save for updating my status

bostonte
Aug 17, 2007, 09:38 PM
my biggest fb+iPhone gripe is the inability to use mobile uploads. Unsupported, and no timeline on when there might be a workaround or something. Sigh.

You can use the two Facebook email addresses (photos @ facebook.com and notes @ facebook, I believe) to add a picture to your Mobile Uploads gallery or a note/picture to your Notes -- I use this to save myself having to email a photo from my iPhone to a list of people, I just send it once and send people there to view it. The subject line of your message becomes the description for the photo.

It's actually one of the few upload via email services I've used that seems to never have a problem processing Apple Double Type emails (i.e. the pictures and text always post like they're supposed to). I still can't get this to work correctly on Wordpress, even after applying the AppleDoubleType hacks -- it's hit or miss.

I'd really like the ability to just do it within the Safari app (more for other uses, rather than FaceBook), but I'm not holding my breath on Apple going down that route anytime sooner than October if at all...

superwesman
Aug 18, 2007, 05:31 PM
You can use the two Facebook email addresses (photos @ facebook.com and notes @ facebook, I believe) to add a picture to your Mobile Uploads gallery or a note/picture to your Notes -- I use this to save myself having to email a photo from my iPhone to a list of people

So, how did you get this to work? According to facebook.com, you can e-mail photos to that address and it will post them to your account - link (http://www.facebook.com/help.php?page=8) - but when I do, I never get the confirmation code.

I tried e-mailing a photo from gmail (from the web site - not via a pop client) and I got this reply

Sorry, we cannot support uploads sent via email. You sent from GMail. If you are sending from a phone, it must be configured to send directly.

So, the big question is: how do I configure the iphone to send directly? Is this something gmail doesn't do? Why do I get this response e-mail when I write in from the web client, but not via the pop client on the iphone?

bostonte
Aug 18, 2007, 06:19 PM
I don't know what to suggest to fix the problem. I have the account configured on my iPhone (a .mac / gmail-enterprise blend acct) added as an email address on my facebook account. I just tried it from the Photos app ("send via email") and it worked. I never had to do any particular setup.

As long as the email address you're sending with is confirmed on the account, it should work. I tried from my desktop and it worked there as well (same email account).

macnerd8
Sep 12, 2007, 09:13 AM
I have an iPhone and (sadly) I'm addicted to Facebook as well. I've found that if I use the iPhone version of Facebook (www.iphone.facebook.com) it works a lot better is not nearly as cluttered and loads faster. It just has the basics on there (profile, mail, friends, status, etc.) instead of all the other Facebook applications that can slow down the loading speed of the page. I'm very happy with it.

j5045096
Oct 27, 2007, 08:26 AM
facebook is a waste of time

Phatzer
Nov 7, 2007, 01:14 PM
You know just as a note, if you want Facebook for the iPhone, why not use the Facebook iPhone web app (http://iphone.facebook.com)? It has all the animations etc, and it works on PC :)

auburnfan24
Mar 20, 2008, 10:01 PM
try this.... iphone.facebook.com

i have never ever had a problem....and it loads FAAAST on edge!

GSA190
Mar 30, 2008, 08:42 PM
I just use the iPhone version of facebook. Its very simple and I get all my "Request" and everything. It doesn't crash because those dumb apps facebook recently added don't matter appear on peoples pages. Which I love. I honestly like the iPhone version of facebook than a computer browser version of facebook.

lindsaykaye04
Mar 31, 2008, 12:14 AM
I dont have an iPhone, and I have never used Facebook before.... but I have to say, and I know other guys agree with me on this:

Flats donnot look good on any chick.... no matter how hot you are (or are not).

I don't think jean shorts ever look good on men, but sometimes you are just in the right environment to wear them. Heels are just silly to wear in some situations. Had to stick up for womankind for a second. :)

On another note, I LOVE the facebook website for iPhone, but does anybody know if there is any way to see what people are coming to an event on that event's page if it doesn't show up on News Feed?

hookem12387
Mar 31, 2008, 12:21 AM
You can't poke people on the facebook app. I don't know why everyone isn't up in arms about this, what's a good poke war without mobile poking

notnek
Mar 31, 2008, 12:30 AM
I just stick with the facebook webapp (http://iphone.facebook.com). It gets the job done for me. but then again, I hate applications because it makes it too myspace-like.