PDA

View Full Version : US scraps nuclear weapons watchdog

zimv20
Jul 30, 2003, 11:01 PM
link (http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,12271,1009497,00.html)

A US department of energy panel of experts which provided independent oversight of the development of the US nuclear arsenal has been quietly disbanded by the Bush administration, it emerged yesterday.

The decision to close down the national nuclear security administration advisory committee - required by law to hold public hearings and issue public reports on nuclear weapons issues - has come just days before a closed-door meeting at a US air force base in Nebraska to discuss the development of a new generation of tactical "mini nukes" and "bunker buster" bombs, as well as an eventual resumption of nuclear testing.

IJ Reilly
Jul 31, 2003, 01:19 AM
But it's all for the good of the nation, of course -- because if there's anything we've learned over the years, it's that the White House knows best for all of us.

pseudobrit
Jul 31, 2003, 02:21 AM
What scares me more than anything is that this whole administration's running like a military unit.

Throughout modern history, every time a crisis emerged where the first-strike use of nuclear weapons was an option, the joint chiefs told the president to use them.

Before the Soviets had them, they said, "They'll drop them on us if they're allowed to develop -- drop it now before they get them or we're all dead!"

After the Soviets had them, they said, "We still have more than they do; we need to strike now while we have the better bomber range. If we don't do it now, they'll do it to us as soon as they get more!"

And it continued throughout the modern era --

Korea: "drop it on them! The Chinese too!"
Vietnam: "drop it on them!"
Even in the 80's, the era of mutual assured destruction, it became, "build a defence shield so we can drop it on them with impunity!!"

Every time, (with the exception of Reagan's attempts to build a SDI) the civilian arm of the government, be it the secretary of war or the president himself, has been the voice of reason.

We no longer have that voice. The White House runs on military time.

Sayhey
Jul 31, 2003, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by pseudobrit
What scares me more than anything is that this whole administration's running like a military unit....

...Every time, (with the exception of Reagan's attempts to build a SDI) the civilian arm of the government, be it the secretary of war or the president himself, has been the voice of reason.

We no longer have that voice. The White House runs on military time.

It is very scary, I agree, but if anything in this situation around Iraq it has been the military who have been the voice of, if not reason, then caution. Rumsfeld's role of running rough shod over the advice of the military brass has been written about by Seymour Hersch. Check out his article at: http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/?030407fa_fact1

Rummy and friends have these great new "toys" and they want to use them. Makes one worry, what with the attempt to develop a whole new generation of tactical nuclear weapons just what these folks will do.

IJ Reilly
Jul 31, 2003, 10:33 AM
We've talked about this before, but the White House also asked for in the last federal budget (and presumably got) an exemption from Congressional oversight for the SDI II deployment, so the system can be deployed next fall whether it works or not. The initial price tag on that boondoggle will about around $7 billion (which is only the down-payment), and the accountability will be zero.

zimv20
Jul 31, 2003, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Sayhey
Makes one worry, what with the attempt to develop a whole new generation of tactical nuclear weapons just what these folks will do.

i'd predicted before that, should bush get a second term, he'll use one. i firmly believe bush & co. is just itching to try one out.