PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Coming To Best Buy?

MacRumors
Aug 6, 2007, 09:15 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

According to AppleInsider, Apple is set to broaden the distribution (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/08/03/apple_prepares_to_expand_iphone_distribution_points.html) of the iPhone beyond just Apple and AT&T stores.

Among those first in line for the gadget is specialty electronics retailer and Apple's new best friend in the retail business, Best Buy. By October -- and more likely by September -- all Best Buy locations should have iPhones on hand to sell to customers. Lavish video displays, like those erected in Apple retail store windows ahead of the phone's launch, may also turn up at the electronics stores.

Apple and Best Buy have been expanding their retail cooperation with each other. AppleInsider notes that Best Buy will be expanding their Apple pilot program to 300 stores by the end of the year.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2007/08/06/iphone-coming-to-best-buy/)

Grimace
Aug 6, 2007, 09:22 AM
well, a sale is a sale. I guess I'd feel differently if they were sold at Walmart. :rolleyes:

kbrain2929
Aug 6, 2007, 09:25 AM
Personally, I think this could mean 2 diffrent things...

1) Apple is expanding their sales to make up for those iPhones that they first believed would sale... it ended up they didn't. I believed they expected somewhere like 400,000? Not sure, but I think this is close. And Apple / AT&T only got like 300,000 (last time I checked) sold. Maybe Apple is just trying to make up for those.

2) They may be trying to make the iPhone more accessable, which would bring back #1, and therefore selling more units. Perhaps Apple is just trying to get the "iPhone Frenzy" out there for those who don't follow it craz-ily like many of us on Mac Rumors do...

That's just my two cents
:apple:

well, a sale is a sale. I guess I'd feel differently if they were sold at Walmart. :rolleyes:

I agree completely!!! A sale IS a sale. The more... the better!

KindredMAC
Aug 6, 2007, 09:34 AM
makes sense doesn't it????
Every week in the Best Buy adverts, they are pushing cellphones for AT&T and Verizon anyways.... Why NOT sell the hottest cellphone out there??!?!?!?!?!?

JPyre
Aug 6, 2007, 09:46 AM
Free bluetooth headset after rebate, mark my words. Apples are never on sale at BB, well maybe iPods are 5 bucks off but usually its a free charger or carrying case. I think this is a very good move, it'll cut into the iPod sales, but I think that's the point. I'd be willing to bet that BB is in the top 3 of iPod retailers, if not No. 1.

Hopstretch
Aug 6, 2007, 09:52 AM
Well, I guess if the AT&T store reps won't show iPhones to customers maybe the Best Buy salesfolk will. There's going to be some HARD sell on the extended warranties.

plumbingandtech
Aug 6, 2007, 10:09 AM
This is one thing that even a best buy person can sell well..

(AFAIK Best Buy people are not commissioned.)

The ATT store lumps on logs are prob. going to be less enthused.

noway
Aug 6, 2007, 10:26 AM
I'm guessing its only in BestBuy around US...
Nothing for Canada yet :(

dfnj123
Aug 6, 2007, 10:45 AM
I saw the apple display at my local bets buy and it looks like a mini apple store. I found ti weird that their were no iPod or iPhones at all. :eek:

MacJediDude
Aug 6, 2007, 10:48 AM
as long as all of the anti-apple best buy GEEKS pull their head out of their butts long enough to give it a honest shot. the sad part is many of the salesmen at BB are uberDORK PC ONLY apple haters. :(

plumbingandtech
Aug 6, 2007, 11:03 AM
as long as all of the anti-apple best buy GEEKS pull their head out of their butts long enough to give it a honest shot. the sad part is many of the salesmen at BB are uberDORK PC ONLY apple haters. :(

True. But remember that these will be in the "phone" section which is at least at my store in the very front and away from the PC hardware and software.

pdpfilms
Aug 6, 2007, 11:17 AM
I'm guessing its only in BestBuy around US...
Nothing for Canada yet :(

And I can 100% guarantee that they won't be showing up at BestBuys here in VT or MT. Or any of the other AT&Tless states. If they did, they'd end up selling none or selling a very small number to a group of people who would end up very angry.

EagerDragon
Aug 6, 2007, 11:19 AM

If Management at BB is serious, they would monitor the mini-Apple store for jerks like that and recycle them out quickly. It is about money, if the area does not sell then there is a reason like: Their customers are not interested, Product not properly demostrated, Salesman need training, and the #1 reason ..... Salesman needs attitude adjustment.

Umm, where I left those electrodes??????

imwoblin
Aug 6, 2007, 12:11 PM
I think Apple is going to try to maximize the iPhone's exposure, and Best Buy would certainly help. On a side note, I counted 39 Iphone commercials on different channels during the weekend (had the flu). Thats a hell of a lot of commercials for the iPhone!

blindzero
Aug 6, 2007, 12:11 PM
If I'm not mistaken they hire specifically for the Apple sections. I went to one in Delaware and I think they had special badges for the one working the Apple Booth (not sure if it said genius or just something else).

My store in MD has yet to get anything and they were positive we will get one soon.

Only IMACS and Laptops were on display in the Apple section. IPods were in the digital music player section.

If Management at BB is serious, they would monitor the mini-Apple store for jerks like that and recycle them out quickly. It is about money, if the area does not sell then there is a reason like: Their customers are not interested, Product not properly demostrated, Salesman need training, and the #1 reason ..... Salesman needs attitude adjustment.

Luke J
Aug 6, 2007, 12:13 PM
best buys customer service isn't up to par

33scottie33
Aug 6, 2007, 12:43 PM
Ahhh, I can see it now, mini Apple stores inside of BBs with Mac Geniuses on site!!! Coming in 2040!

MarkMS
Aug 6, 2007, 12:46 PM
Ahhh, I can see it now, mini Apple stores inside of BBs with Mac Geniuses on site!!! Coming in 2040!

I wish!! The nearest Apple Store is 300 miles away for me. Luckily we have a few Apple repair providers locally.

dfnj123
Aug 6, 2007, 02:19 PM
Ahhh, I can see it now, mini Apple stores inside of BBs with Mac Geniuses on site!!! Coming in 2040!they have that NOW at my local Best buy (minus the mac geniuses)

mainomega
Aug 6, 2007, 03:11 PM
I HATE Bestbuy. But I like Apple.

So I guess this is a good thing... if it bring Apple to the masses... grrr Bestbuy can die.

yotaguy
Aug 6, 2007, 03:24 PM
If best buy brings apples into Best Buy they will do it like they did at CompUSA

Apple people selling apple products. not Best Buy people. The store would probably get a % of revenue from the Apple stuff and keep all the $$ on the accesories.

I worked at Best buy for 2 years and out of 8 or so computer salesmen 5\10 of them had macs at home..haha

I was geek squad and 4\8 of us were die hard mac fans since we had to fix PC's all day.

somberlaine
Aug 6, 2007, 03:39 PM
If best buy brings apples into Best Buy they will do it like they did at CompUSA

Apple people selling apple products. not Best Buy people. The store would probably get a % of revenue from the Apple stuff and keep all the $$ on the accesories.

I worked at Best buy for 2 years and out of 8 or so computer salesmen 5\10 of them had macs at home..haha

I was geek squad and 4\8 of us were die hard mac fans since we had to fix PC's all day.

That's what they are doing at the best buy near me (Bailey's Crossroad store for DC area folks). They have this chick in a black apples shirt in the apple area of BB. I am not sure if she is an employee of Apple or BB though.

trevogre
Aug 6, 2007, 05:56 PM

Despite the possibility that Best Buy actually has a knowledgeable salesperson somewhere in one of their stores, I only shop there when itís the only convenient place to get a product. Never for advice on what to buy. Most of their employees are just out of diapers and if they know anything at all about technology they are usually bias and ill-informed. More often than not they don't know anything more than the customer can read off the product packaging, and they will waste your time trying to read a box or a shelf sticker that they donít understand (as if you couldn't read). So if they canít sell apple products I wouldn't be surprised. They typically can't sell an informed consumer anything that they werenít already going to buy. As for the uninformed accidentally getting pushed into a pc over a mac, at least they end up with more software options, cause lets face it, without the dual boot option, the Mac is just not hacking it in flexibility and interoperability despite the innovation and usability.

steamboat26
Aug 6, 2007, 06:17 PM
I wouldn't trust Best Buy to sell these, unless they had Apple or Cingular employees in store. BB would probably over-promise on the potential of the iPhones potential, and create a lot of unhappy customers.

IMcD23
Aug 6, 2007, 06:29 PM
I was at BB a few weeks ago and one of the reps was saying to me how much he hated the iphone...

infamous
Aug 6, 2007, 07:16 PM
makes perfect sense

MACachusetts
Aug 6, 2007, 08:48 PM
I personally think that Apple should not put the iPhone in stores other than their own and their service provider. Though Best Buy does carry most Apple products, I think the iPhone should be kept somewhat exclusive.

When I bought my iPhone I could have easily gone to a local AT&T store. But to keep the purchasing process authentic and pleasurale I chose to drive about an hour out of my way to the closest Apple store. I am still happy I did this and probably would have even if they were selling them at a Best Buy. Going to an apple store is a great experience due to the awesome customer service they provide. The friendly employees will definatley leave you glad that you did go to your local Apple store.

But that's just my opinion.

TPALTony
Aug 6, 2007, 08:48 PM
Don't know about other states but CompUSA is gutting their retail presence in NJ. They were a retail outlet for Apple, but they have faded away, so it would make sense for them to a) Go for a replacement and b) Replace them with someone like Best Buy that are more generically "electronics" perceived. CompUSA was always "computers and some other stuff."

So I wouldn't be surprised.

be well

t

attadj
Aug 6, 2007, 09:14 PM
I personally think that Apple should not put the iPhone in stores other than their own and their service provider. Though Best Buy does carry most Apple products, I think the iPhone should be kept somewhat exclusive.But that's just my opinion.

Well I like the idea. I will be able to get accessories there instead of searching all over for an overpriced AT&T store. At least Best Buy will put some stuff on sale every so often.

corywoolf
Aug 6, 2007, 11:57 PM
Yeah, one of my good friends who worked at CompUSA as an Apple Rep. was the first to make the switch to Best Buy. I remember he couldn't tell me why he was leaving the store until his first day at BB. From what I have heard, he says the program is going great. It wouldn't be surprising if Apple pulled out of all CompUSA stores and switched the Reps over to Best Buy stores sometime this year or early next year. That is speculation on my part BTW. I don't want to cause another fiasco like the time I slipped a minor tidbit about a certain store receiving a renovation beforehand and then getting contacted by that store. ;)

corywoolf
Aug 7, 2007, 12:00 AM
Don't know about other states but CompUSA is gutting their retail presence in NJ. They were a retail outlet for Apple, but they have faded away, so it would make sense for them to a) Go for a replacement and b) Replace them with someone like Best Buy that are more generically "electronics" perceived. CompUSA was always "computers and some other stuff."

So I wouldn't be surprised.

be well

t

Mark my words: Apple is done with CompUSA and will soon pull out entirely. Best Buy is the new home of the Apple Shop.

Canuck4
Aug 7, 2007, 12:07 AM
Makes sense, compusa is pretty much dead.
A few stores around my area are shutting down. Best Buy is the way to go for Apple IMO.
And people can get reward points on their Iphone or acessories purchases :D

AJsAWiz
Aug 7, 2007, 10:01 AM
I personally think that Apple should not put the iPhone in stores other than their own and their service provider. Though Best Buy does carry most Apple products, I think the iPhone should be kept somewhat exclusive.

When I bought my iPhone I could have easily gone to a local AT&T store. But to keep the purchasing process authentic and pleasurale I chose to drive about an hour out of my way to the closest Apple store. I am still happy I did this and probably would have even if they were selling them at a Best Buy. Going to an apple store is a great experience due to the awesome customer service they provide. The friendly employees will definatley leave you glad that you did go to your local Apple store.

But that's just my opinion.

I agree that the Apple Store (for me) is the place to go for Apple products. However it's all about choice. For those who wish to purchase an iPhone or any other Apple product at another retail store, they should have that option.

megfilmworks
Aug 7, 2007, 10:06 AM
Same here, I loved the experience of buying the iPhone at Apple on iNight.
But, I would love to see it sold at Best Buy as well for the mainstream buyer who may never have even been in an apple store or have one near them.

hexonxonx
Aug 7, 2007, 10:54 AM
I sure hope they train their help slightly better on Apple knowledge. BestBuy is where I bought my MBP and not one person there could tell me a thing about it. In fact he said I was the first person to buy a MBP since they started carrying them a few weeks before. They were also in the process of setting up their Apple store there and I haven't been back since to see what it looks like.

Of course BestBuy employees also make up lies to get you to buy things. I could see them telling all the things the iPhone doesn't do to get someone to buy something else. Product knowledge was never a requirement to be a BestBuy employee.

kdarling
Aug 7, 2007, 12:45 PM
Perhaps Apple is just trying to get the "iPhone Frenzy" out there for those who don't follow it craz-ily like many of us on Mac Rumors do...

I wonder how many full price phones are sold at Best Buy, versus subsidized with a plan.

Anyway, doesn't everyone think the iPhone frenzy days are over ? Those who couldn't wait, got one the first week. Now the main hype is over, its shortcomings (and those of AT&T in some cases) are more well known, and don't you think sales are pretty flat now?

If it gets a huge software update, that'll bring a few more sales, but without subsidies and other carriers, it's hard to imagine sales staying high.

Thoughts?

One very good thing about if it shows up at Best Buy... far more people stroll into those, than walk into Apple stores :)

xA4Hx
Aug 8, 2007, 09:49 AM
I would rather see the iphone in Radioshack since you get better customer service there with buying phones then bestbuy or walmart.

-illusion

abcdefGARY
Aug 8, 2007, 11:48 AM
Post deleted.

Irishman
Aug 8, 2007, 02:52 PM

Not I. :)