PDA

View Full Version : Flash Based Video iPod in September?

MacRumors
Aug 6, 2007, 10:40 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Digitimes reports (http://www.digitimes.com/bits_chips/a20070806PB200.html) that Apple is said to be unveiling a 16GB NAND Flash-based iPod video in late September, according to sources at Taiwan-based component makers.
The new iPod video will use NAND flash as the major storage media, and will have a storage density of 16GB, according to the sources.
This could be consistent with recent rumors (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/07/31/iphone-nano-details-and-full-touchscreen-ipod/) which point to a revised iPod nano with video playback capability. Apple's current iPod nano is a Flash-only device that tops out at 8GB of storage.

Apple is holding a media event on August 7, 2007 but this is reportedly a Mac-focused event.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/08/06/flash-based-video-ipod-in-september/)

RBilRamZ
Aug 6, 2007, 10:43 AM
This sounds like a great device. Just big enough to carry some music, pics and a movie or two. It just seems like it needs to come out in August, so people doing there back-to-school shopping can pick one up.

RustyM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1C25 Safari/419.3)

sounds great!

kwood
That would be awesome especially if it had an LED backlit screen. Does anyone know if the current iPods have LED backlit screens?

aswitcher
Aug 6, 2007, 10:44 AM
Would be very nice if true and if it basically has everything the iPhone has but the phone bit.

Dagless
Aug 6, 2007, 10:45 AM
A video Nano? I find the current 5.5G screen okay for watching video, but a Nano screen is really pushing it.

I'm guessing-
16gb Nano, no video playback. Improved battery life. Or just a 16gb iPhone.
100gb iPod video with the "Blackberry" dimensions. Smallest capacity to go to 60gb, or just 30, 60, 100 variations. Possible wireless tech for some reason.

Squonk
Aug 6, 2007, 10:46 AM
I'm thinking that 16GB is kinda small. Of course, my needs are to carry my full music collection around and not necessarily video...

gkarris
Aug 6, 2007, 10:47 AM
I was at AT&T and I found the iPhone screen suitable for watching videos over my iPod. But the iPhone is a whole different thing.

Apple will have to make an iPod out of the iPhone screen in order to have a true Video iPod...

Derwood
Aug 6, 2007, 10:48 AM
...let's just hope it brings with it a substantial battery life improvement over and above the existing 5G iPods. I've only had mine a year, have properly conditioned it, and I'm lucky if I get my journeys to-and-from work covered. Actually, that's probably a huge exaggeration. Fairer to say that it runs out on me more than I'd like it to.

rockthecasbah
Aug 6, 2007, 10:48 AM
This sounds like a great device. Just big enough to carry some music, pics and a movie or two. It just seems like it needs to come out in August, so people doing there back-to-school shopping can pick one up.

The back to school promotion is used to get rid of leftover stock quickly. Apple usually does this: it gets attention right in time for the start of the holiday season and then they make a bundle.

It wouldn't be for me, but 16GB sounds like the perfect next step for NAND. Now let's see it released with some touchscreen video iPods and that'll really be something :)

gusapple
Aug 6, 2007, 10:49 AM
I just think that there should be more space for this kind of stuff. Possibly this is an iPod Nano?

ironring2006
Aug 6, 2007, 10:49 AM

Nah, it's perfect timing to coincide with the iPod rebate. They get rid of their old stock with those who need to buy a computer for school. Then, they have a bunch of people arriving at school to find out their iPod is now outdated, and then have them lusting for the new ones in time for Christmas.

Tomaz
Aug 6, 2007, 10:52 AM
Would be very nice if true and if it basically has everything the iPhone has but the phone bit.

Exactly, but >64GB! I'd buy instantly!

LinuxGigolo
Aug 6, 2007, 10:55 AM
I was at AT&T and I found the iPhone screen suitable for watching videos over my iPod. But the iPhone is a whole different thing.

Apple will have to make an iPod out of the iPhone screen in order to have a true Video iPod...

I'm not dissing your comment - in fact, I think it's totally valid - but people say this like there's no way that APple could ever think that people would want an iPhone without the phone. Jobs already said it's the best iPod they've ever made. Of course they have plans to use its form factor and OS for something else. But also, you have to remember that Apple doesn't like to simply do what we expect or what the rest of the industry does. They like to take it a step further, so I wouldn't be surprised if our iPhone-phone ends up having some cool feature that none of us ever thought of.

LoganT
Aug 6, 2007, 11:01 AM
A video Nano? I find the current 5.5G screen okay for watching video, but a Nano screen is really pushing it.

I'm guessing-
16gb Nano, no video playback. Improved battery life. Or just a 16gb iPhone.
100gb iPod video with the "Blackberry" dimensions. Smallest capacity to go to 60gb, or just 30, 60, 100 variations. Possible wireless tech for some reason.

It's called making the screen bigger.

bigmc6000
Aug 6, 2007, 11:01 AM
...let's just hope it brings with it a substantial battery life improvement over and above the existing 5G iPods. I've only had mine a year, have properly conditioned it, and I'm lucky if I get my journeys to-and-from work covered. Actually, that's probably a huge exaggeration. Fairer to say that it runs out on me more than I'd like it to.

I've got to ask - how far is your journey to and from work? Are you constantly skipping from song to song running the HD? I ask because my iPod lasts the whole working day without a single problem what so ever. Also, I know this defeats your point but you could just take a cord to work with and let it charge over the usb plug in your computer...

frenchy
Aug 6, 2007, 11:03 AM
16 GB density ? How can you trust a rumor reporting a 16 GB density...

macintel4me
Aug 6, 2007, 11:03 AM
There is no way Apple would regress the iPod (Video) from an entry 30GB to 16GB. I'm sure that instead Apple is providing video playback in the Nano and extending the highend Nano from 8GB to 16GB. This would make sense as sales on the 8GB were far behind the other models. Video would push the demand for more storage capacity, higher prices, and iTunes sales.

If those videos we saw earlier, before Apple legal made everyone pull them down, were accurate then this is a click-wheel device. This makes sense for a Nano which has smaller form factor and touch-screen could be cumbersome.

regan
Aug 6, 2007, 11:04 AM
You've got to be KIDDING me.

Video. On THAT screen? Even if they gave the nano a widescreen, it'd still be RIDICULOUSLY small for video.

Come on people. Snap out of it. This smacks of idiocy.

Flash drive yes. Video? No.

EagerDragon
Aug 6, 2007, 11:04 AM
Hehe, thats where all the NAND is going to and why there is a shortage.

Assuming there is a shred of truth in this that is.

Dimwhit
Aug 6, 2007, 11:06 AM
I wish Apple would stop being so damned stubborn about storage. 16GB would be fine, if they'd put an SD expansion slot so you could swap out cards with different movie files or something.

EagerDragon
Aug 6, 2007, 11:06 AM
That would be awesome especially if it had an LED backlit screen. Does anyone know if the current iPods have LED backlit screens?

Yes, they had LED backlight for a while now

Nand is expensive, a 64 Gig version would cost a bundle.

macintel4me
Aug 6, 2007, 11:10 AM
You've got to be KIDDING me.

Video. On THAT screen? Even if they gave the nano a widescreen, it'd still be RIDICULOUSLY small for video.

Come on people. Snap out of it. This smacks of idiocy.

Flash drive yes. Video? No.

My points:
1) Apple would make the screen bigger.
2) The iPod Nano allows for pictures. Why is it "idiocy" to say that something is fine for pictures, but not for video (even with a bigger screen nonetheless)?

gusapple
Aug 6, 2007, 11:12 AM
My points:
2) The iPod Nano allows for pictures. Why is it "idiocy" to say that something is fine for pictures, but not for video (even with a bigger screen nonetheless)?

Well the video takes up so much space that I think that it might be that until the iPhone, they didn't think video would be valid.

EagerDragon
Aug 6, 2007, 11:13 AM
Here comes the 16 Gig iPhone.

guzhogi
Aug 6, 2007, 11:14 AM
I know some people will complain about capacity, but how many movies do you really need to have on your iPod? Anyways, I bought a 16 GB USB flash drive for $130 from dealram.com. They also sell a 64 GB, but that's over $5,000. A little out of my price range. But once prices go down more, maybe even the full iPod can go Flash. No moving parts would greatly increase the lifetime of the device & battery life.

mongoos150
Aug 6, 2007, 11:15 AM
...Why isn't Apple hurrying up and putting the unit in iPhone?! 16GB would be a great start, buy my 8GB iPhone has been full since the first day I got it... :(

Wayfarer
Aug 6, 2007, 11:15 AM
It is almost that time again. Bring on the new iPods! Me wants.

Rychiar
Aug 6, 2007, 11:19 AM
meh, who wants a new ipod thats goin down in size. i want a 120 gigger so i can finally fit all 105 gigs of music i have on and still have sum spare. only thing that needs the 16 is the iPhone, the high end $600 one should not only be 8 gigs, it severly limits it. and i imagine the 4 gig one is maddening

Revolutionary
Aug 6, 2007, 11:20 AM
My points:

If people can watch VCast Mobile on their crappy RAZRs, they'll sure as hell watch video on their iPod nano.

Wolfpup
Aug 6, 2007, 11:23 AM

Or better still, just PUT A USER REPLACEABLE BATTERY IN THERE! I'm sick of Apple's sealed designs, especially since otherwise they have such cool hardware.

meh, who wants a new ipod thats goin down in size.

The rumors acted like they'd sell both flash and hard drive based models. But for me, this sounds perfect. I don't need the 30-40GB my iPods have had, but I do like having video playback. 16GB would be complete overkill for me (2 or 4 would be fine). So this would be just perfect.

Loge
Aug 6, 2007, 11:24 AM
A

No Blackberry dimensions, please! Just current dimensions, full size touch screen and 100GB.

And a 16GB nano would be no bad thing either.

Eduardo1971
Aug 6, 2007, 11:29 AM
I'm thinking that 16GB is kinda small. Of course, my needs are to carry my full music collection around and not necessarily video...

"Here, here". I have about 65 Gigabytes of audio (and I still haven't finished copying my CD's into iTunes!), so 16 GB is way too small for me.

gusapple
Aug 6, 2007, 11:33 AM
No Blackberry dimensions, please! Just current dimensions, full size touch screen and 100GB.

And a 16GB nano would be no bad thing either.

Uggghhhhh! Blackberry would be horrible, and plus, do you think that wide would attract new customors? I mean, the iPod needs to fit in a jean pocket, you cannot fit a Blackberry in a jean pocket without diffuculty. I say keep the dimensions!

fastbite
Aug 6, 2007, 11:53 AM
I feel that the 'true' video ipod will not see the light of day until after the iphone starts to roll in EU.

blueflame
Aug 6, 2007, 11:57 AM
just a thought. i agree with everyone who says the nano is to small to really watch videos on. but...
what about if the entire face was ascreen like the iphone, and coverflow was the only view?
would that work?
for those of you who have iphones, maybe what do you think?
I like the album view on the iphone, very sleep and simple, yet imformative.
A

Aug 6, 2007, 12:00 PM
I would love, love, love a 16GB flash-based iPod, since I don't need more than 10GB of storage anyway. An iPhone-like interface would be nice also.
My current 5G "video" iPod needs to be recharged every other day and the screen isn't all that great for watching videos.:rolleyes:

RadioStar
Aug 6, 2007, 12:02 PM
Have you ever tried to watch a movie on your video iPod, but were frustrated because the screen was just too big? Are you like the millions of customers who wish that their videos could only be viewed properly under a microscope? Will you be unsatisfied until your media player screen is reduced to a single miniscule blinking light?

Well, have we got a product for you!

mongoos150
Aug 6, 2007, 12:05 PM
Honestly, wasn't there just an announcement of 32GB flash SD cards at one of the expos? A 30GB iPhone would be perfect. Come on Apple!

Dagless
Aug 6, 2007, 12:12 PM
It's called making the screen bigger.

Cheer up!

And making the screen bigger on a Nano? Wouldn't that sort of defeat the purpose of the minute size? Why would Apple introduce video for the Nano when they have the proper 5.5 (and soon 6G) iPods?
The same reason the 5.5G doesn't work with them running kits. Each iPod serves it's purpose.

Larger Nano's. haha.

Dagless
Aug 6, 2007, 12:20 PM

You mean pictures as in the single images that you look at for a few seconds, compared to what? Watching a feature length film or a half an hour TV show?

Firstly its, "the 5G screen is too small for videos, bring on full screen iPods!"
then, "I can't wait to watch films on a 1.5" Nano screen"
:rolleyes:

nemaslov
Aug 6, 2007, 12:24 PM
Crap. I need 120 GB!!!!

LoganT
Aug 6, 2007, 12:29 PM
Cheer up!

And making the screen bigger on a Nano? Wouldn't that sort of defeat the purpose of the minute size? Why would Apple introduce video for the Nano when they have the proper 5.5 (and soon 6G) iPods?
The same reason the 5.5G doesn't work with them running kits. Each iPod serves it's purpose.

Larger Nano's. haha.

No it's called having a touchscreen. You could make the screen roughly the size of the current nano.

One Bad Duck
Aug 6, 2007, 12:33 PM
I feel that the 'true' video ipod will not see the light of day until after the iphone starts to roll in EU.

That's a very good point they want everyone to have iphones. That means definately no new ipods tomorrow which of course only supports the strictly mac-related announcment. That sucks, its was my 21st on the 5th, holding out for a new one to replace my nano (never buying a lower ipod again, sick of not having my entire library on there).

JeffDM
Aug 6, 2007, 12:54 PM

At $500 or more? Just the bare drive is worth more than that.

JeffDM
Aug 6, 2007, 12:57 PM
There is no way Apple would regress the iPod (Video) from an entry 30GB to 16GB.

Why not? They've done it before. They killed the 6GB mini and replaced it with a 4GB nano. The next update to the mini would have been 8GB. Never say never.

ironeddie
Aug 6, 2007, 01:05 PM
That's a very good point they want everyone to have iphones. ).

What about the 80 million people who do not have at&t? I want an iphone but won't switch from Verizon. Where is my iphone- the phone?

apfelmann
Aug 6, 2007, 01:09 PM
I think it was one of the hardest tasks in the last years for apple to decide what the next generation ipod nano and ipod video should be like.

I mean, the current nano is almost perfect. possibly they're only doubling the capacities ... I think touchscreen and video is useless for the nano

and for the BIG ipod: are they giving us the touchscreen? I hope so. And Wi-Fi? I hope so ... or they are giving us something completely new ...

So tired of waiting ... but "Der Weg ist das Ziel" ... damn

iscripter
Aug 6, 2007, 01:11 PM
Sorry, I don't buy this rumor at all. The whole appeal of the iPod was that you could carry your entire music collection on it. And not have to worry about swapping play lists in and out.
Now this might be the next iPod nano but definately not the next iPod. Way to small.

jabu31
Aug 6, 2007, 01:16 PM
THis sounds sooooooo delicious!!!!!!!:D

A nano based flash drive video ipod. Can the words gets more perfect than that. I mean really its flash based and not a hard rive so it would be safe to run with...... oh my if it were nike + compatible too .... one word HEAVEN!!!!:p

And because its video based i am sure the screen would be bigger, maybe widescreen big like the iphone.... and touch sensitive like the iphone!!!!:rolleyes:

Ahhh itf it comes out in Sept I would not be angry. I mean a new imac in August, A new ipod in Sept., And then Leopard in Oct., sounds like a great run of pre holiday shopping for oneself!!!;):cool:

THe only thing that would be a downer is if this is just a rumor that doesn't make some reality. I mean come on I could not believe apple would not incorporate the design of the iphone into a new ipod right...or am I just being to dreamy guys:confused::rolleyes:

Wolfpup
Aug 6, 2007, 01:30 PM
Sorry, I don't buy this rumor at all. The whole appeal of the iPod was that you could carry your entire music collection on it. And not have to worry about swapping play lists in and out.
Now this might be the next iPod nano but definately not the next iPod. Way to small.

This has been mentioned, but rumors pegged Apple as possibly releasing both flash and hard drive based iPods.

twoodcc
Aug 6, 2007, 01:55 PM
sounds good. hope they update the nano as well

Babasyzygy
Aug 6, 2007, 02:00 PM
I know some people will complain about capacity, but how many movies do you really need to have on your iPod?

You've obviously never flown from New York City to Hong Kong.

A Pittarelli
Aug 6, 2007, 02:02 PM
thats what macbooks are for

Glial
Aug 6, 2007, 02:41 PM
My thinking was that the modules are 16gb each, not for the entire unit. Could be just the way I read it. 2=32, 4=64 etc.

Just a thought.

zioxide
Aug 6, 2007, 02:56 PM
awesome! you'll be able to fit a whole 4 videos on it!

joejoejoe
Aug 6, 2007, 03:11 PM
i really really really hope this means we'll be getting a 16gb iphone in the future... the only reason I didn't get one to begin with was the small memory.

(please don't flame me, yes 8gb is a lot for a phone, but for what the iphone is, i think it's small, just IMO)

alec
Aug 6, 2007, 03:26 PM
It's a Nano -- it's supposed to be smaller in all ways (and cheaper for that matter).

apfelmann
Aug 6, 2007, 03:29 PM
I just had a vision:

Ipod with NAND flash and wifi ......

.... and to carry with you if you need it ....

...... external hard drive (ipod form) with battery and wifi

dernhelm
Aug 6, 2007, 05:24 PM
I think the whole "blackberry dimensions" stuff is just plain wrong. They'll make a nano-sized 16GB iPod that is all screen (like the iPhone), before they'd uglify the Nano (or the iPod for that matter) like that. But don't hold out for the iPhone like interface until sometime next year (after the iPhone has had its run in Europe for a while). You may not even get one before the iPhone's "magic number" has been reached.

My guess is the Nano will get a 16GB flash drive, get a few cool interface improvements, be allowed to play video (no reason it can't, even if it's too small to really watch) but otherwise be more or less the same. The iPod video will get wiFi connectivity and a large hard drive. It will also get the high density screen ala iPhone, but won't be multi-touch. It might also get the ability to play back HD content to an external screen that's hooked up via HDMI to it's dock. But that one's a long shot.

Ultimatetone
Aug 6, 2007, 05:26 PM
A video Nano? I find the current 5.5G screen okay for watching video, but a Nano screen is really pushing it...

You've got to be KIDDING me. Video. On THAT screen? Even if they gave the nano a widescreen,
it'd still be RIDICULOUSLY small for video. Come on people. Snap out of it.
This smacks of idiocy. Flash drive yes. Video? No.
I'm holding-out for the next Nano revision, myself.

Adding video capabilities to the Nano seems silly to some, but...

what about being able to tether a 'video-capable' Nano to say, a Portable DVD player (that has Video IN)...

or to a mobile entertainment system (Caravan, Escalade, anyone...Bueller?)

or to one's TV (via an appropriately designed Nano/iPod cradle?)

Personally, I wish Flash-based iPods had removable storage option (i.e. Micro SD)

Ultimatetone

iW00t
Aug 6, 2007, 05:53 PM
I know some people will complain about capacity, but how many movies do you really need to have on your iPod? Anyways, I bought a 16 GB USB flash drive for $130 from dealram.com. They also sell a 64 GB, but that's over $5,000. A little out of my price range. But once prices go down more, maybe even the full iPod can go Flash. No moving parts would greatly increase the lifetime of the device & battery life.

Don't puff things up and make things seem better than reality?

A little out of your price range?

So you are willing to spend $4500 on a USB flash drive I take it?

$450,000 on a laptop? (hey, I personally am willing to spend $25 on a flash drive and $2500 on a laptop, simply translating those figures...)

Or perhaps $45 million on a house?

It is too expensive, period.

MarkMS
Aug 6, 2007, 05:59 PM
I can't wait!! I'm content with all my Apple products, but hopefully this will help out sales even more.

Analog Kid
Aug 6, 2007, 07:03 PM
Finally. A "Flash iPod" rumor that sounds reasonable. People were driving me nuts with the "120GB of Flash would be easy for Apple to do" pseudo-science...

offwidafairies
Aug 6, 2007, 07:16 PM
i wont be buying it... 16Gb doesnt hold half my music. and i like to use my 60Gb ipod as a portable hdd for when im travelling...
but sound like it would be good for my parents or grandparents, or friends who dont need that much space
more options to choose from is a good thing i guess

Viddrumr32
Aug 6, 2007, 08:29 PM
I'm not dissing your comment - in fact, I think it's totally valid - but people say this like there's no way that APple could ever think that people would want an iPhone without the phone. Jobs already said it's the best iPod they've ever made. Of course they have plans to use its form factor and OS for something else. But also, you have to remember that Apple doesn't like to simply do what we expect or what the rest of the industry does. They like to take it a step further, so I wouldn't be surprised if our iPhone-phone ends up having some cool feature that none of us ever thought of.

I think I remember a rumor a long time ago talking about the wireless charging technology that was supposed to be implemented into cell phones and other devices. This might be put into the ipod to add to the whole "wireless" thing with the new ipod.

ll PiStoNs ll
Aug 6, 2007, 10:29 PM
I think the whole "blackberry dimensions" stuff is just plain wrong. They'll make a nano-sized 16GB iPod that is all screen (like the iPhone), before they'd uglify the Nano (or the iPod for that matter) like that. But don't hold out for the iPhone like interface until sometime next year (after the iPhone has had its run in Europe for a while). You may not even get one before the iPhone's "magic number" has been reached.

My guess is the Nano will get a 16GB flash drive, get a few cool interface improvements, be allowed to play video (no reason it can't, even if it's too small to really watch) but otherwise be more or less the same. The iPod video will get wiFi connectivity and a large hard drive. It will also get the high density screen ala iPhone, but won't be multi-touch. It might also get the ability to play back HD content to an external screen that's hooked up via HDMI to it's dock. But that one's a long shot.

Hey, if they even came out with an ipod like that i would get it. All i use my PSP for is wifi, so if the ipod did that i would sell the psp in a hearbeat.
If nothing cool comes out tomorrow at all, ill just get the EEE PC (that 199 mini laptop) in september

sinster
Aug 6, 2007, 10:29 PM
My predictions - for what its worth :-
1) There will be two seperate ipod product lines in the foreseeable future; the Nano model aimed at "light" users, and the full ipod aimed at "heavy" users
2) The Nano will get (cmon - its just when, not if) 16GB capacity and could get video capability, but it will be primarily for short home movies of the kids and video out, not for watching on the nano itself.
3) The full ipod will stick with HDD - it just needs to grow to 60/120 GB respectively, and the software leak we saw was just a software upgrade to be more in line with the front row, AppleTV type interface..
4) THEY MAY come out with the PRO iPod which is based on the iPhone form factor, and call it the TRUE VideoPod - and that too will be HDD and have 60/120 GB space - without the phone. BUT, it will be PRICEY - to ensure that there is no cannibalisation between the iphone and the video pod. This way - the consumer targets are two different people - heavy media users (get the VIDEO POD), and phone users with light media needs (GET THE IPHONE).

I also predict that none of this will be today; but in Sep/Oct in time for Xmas.

And finally - it will rain in parts of Utah :)

Wolfpup
Aug 7, 2007, 09:21 AM
awesome! you'll be able to fit a whole 4 videos on it!

:confused: Err...do you realize how small H.264 videos are? I could fit WELL over 100 hours of high quality video into 16GB. Is that seriously not enough?

vandlism
Aug 7, 2007, 09:45 AM
:confused: Err...do you realize how small H.264 videos are? I could fit WELL over 100 hours of high quality video into 16GB. Is that seriously not enough?

oh my...what do you consider high quality? To you it means about 374 Kbps. Good quality for an iPod sized movie is well above 1000 Kbps, and AppleTV worthy video is around 2500 Kbps. 16 gigabytes of storage will get you around 25 hours of video at about 1500 Kbps.

lag1090
Aug 7, 2007, 09:57 AM
Don't puff things up and make things seem better than reality?

A little out of your price range?

So you are willing to spend $4500 on a USB flash drive I take it?

$450,000 on a laptop? (hey, I personally am willing to spend $25 on a flash drive and $2500 on a laptop, simply translating those figures...)

Or perhaps $45 million on a house?

It is too expensive, period.

Is it really that difficult to notice that the poster was being sarcastic with the "little out of my price range" remark? Honestly, at least make an attempt to interpret a post correctly before you go bashing the poster who posted it.

RadioStar
Aug 7, 2007, 10:25 AM
oh my...what do you consider high quality? To you it means about 374 Kbps. Good quality for an iPod sized movie is well above 1000 Kbps, and AppleTV worthy video is around 2500 Kbps. 16 gigabytes of storage will get you around 25 hours of video at about 1500 Kbps.

But what if I want to watch movies on my iPod nonstop for two days straight? What then? ;)

Wolfpup
Aug 7, 2007, 11:07 AM

I'm using QB30 I think from my Tivo, which is pretty high quality. Even "only" 25 hours of video is way, way, way more than enough.

vandlism
Aug 8, 2007, 10:03 AM
I'm using QB30 I think from my Tivo, which is pretty high quality. Even "only" 25 hours of video is way, way, way more than enough.

Well I was just pointing out his 100 hours of movies in 16gb..which would be horrid quality. Personally I say the more storage the better. I have 20 gigs of music, but then I also like to carry around podcasts, music videos, tv shows and movies. All in all, my library is probably close to 400 gigs. I don't really want to carry everything with me, seems like overkill, but I'll get the largest capacity next-gen iPod.

As far as the flash based video iPod goes, I think it's a bump in the nano to larger capacity with video capabilities. Drop that baby in a dock and you have a full blown dvd replacement - would be even better with AppleTV integration.

Wolfpup
Aug 8, 2007, 10:15 AM
Well I was just pointing out his 100 hours of movies in 16gb..which would be horrid quality. Personally I say the more storage the better. I have 20 gigs of music, but then I also like to carry around podcasts, music videos, tv shows and movies. All in all, my library is probably close to 400 gigs. I don't really want to carry everything with me, seems like overkill, but I'll get the largest capacity next-gen iPod.

As far as the flash based video iPod goes, I think it's a bump in the nano to larger capacity with video capabilities. Drop that baby in a dock and you have a full blown dvd replacement - would be even better with AppleTV integration.

I just realized QB30 is the bad setting. QB23 or so would be really good. Even still though, 16GB ought to be enough for at least 25-50 hours of video, which is complete and total overkill. I mean I could practically fit the entire contents of my Tivo on one :D