Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's .Mac site warns users that the .Mac service will be undergoing maintenance on August 7th between 10 AM an 12 PM PDT.
Due to scheduled maintenance, .Mac members might be intermittently unable to access some .Mac services from 10 AM to 12 PM PDT on 08/07/2007. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Coincidentally, this time corresponds exactly to Apple's Media Event which is scheduled to take place on August 7th at 10AM PDT.

Steve Jobs had hinted that .Mac would see a refresh in the near future during a recent interview.
Walt: .Mac... you guys didn't really develop it.
Steve: I couldn't agree more, and we'll make up for lost time in the near future

Article Link

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
About time! This service has juuuuust about lost its worth for me. Can't wait to see what Steve's got up his sleeve.

kddpop

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2006
oklahoma city, ok
i was a .mac user back when it was free and called "itools"

i have since jumped ship due to storage expense. but i am missing some of the features that .mac brings.

it would take an awful lot of included storage for me to get back on board. here's hoping...

~kyle

timnosenzo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2004
ct, us
It would be nice to see .Mac updated! Let's hope this happens--and lets also hope this doesn't screw up my email for too long tomorrow. :cool:

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
I know it'll be brought up, but I'd really like it if an update wasn't to add better iPhone support. As a .Mac user I'd be really pissed if it was along those lines.

But really, is this just bad timing or is it really going to be updated. Probably about due for some sort of update I guess.

Rychiar

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
i dropped mine over a year ago and havent missed a thing aside from losing my damn email address which was insane considering it was a free email to start. .mac was def a failed experiment once it started costing:rolleyes:

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
10GB storage capacity per user
Integration with Time Machine
Easier photo/video sharing/uploading interface
iPhone integration
More sync between multiple computers (Win/Mac)

Let's see it Apple!

syklee26

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2005
what .Mac needs are following:

1. increased speed

2. increased storage - for $99 suite it is really skimpy on storage. considering gmail gives you 2gb for free, I am expecting more than 2gb on $99 suite.

and what I wish new .Mac would bring are following:

1. lower price - $69.99 is reasonable IMO

2. more .Mac exclusives - last time .Mac had an exclusive was that free podcast loops. that was like almost a year ago too. what da heck happened to .Mac exclusive widgets?

3. web 2.0 such as word processor / note / spreadsheet type of feature.

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
I don't have .Mac, but I'm going to buy an iMac soon. If they make it attractive enough, I'll certainly plunk down the money for it.

alywa

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
I still think .Mac is going to be the gateway to an iTMS movie subscription system... working basically like a queue does for netflix... having your downloaded movies partially ready using .Mac.

Who knows... it seems to have a lot of potential, but has never really been utilized to the fullest.

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
Perhaps there will be two versions of .Mac. I could see a text based ad supported version, something with google ads. Then perhaps a much more robust version that's fee based.

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
The amount of GB of space .mac offers has absolutely nothing to do with if the vast majority of people want .mac or not because the free services out there already give them way more than they can use.

ipodG8TR

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2005
South Florida
.Mac is worth it

Yeah, I know I'm in the minority, and .Mac does desperately need an upgrade. But, there's one feature that makes it worth it for me -- syncing. .Mac keeps my home and work computers in sync (Safari bookmarks, address book, etc) and that alone is worth every penny.

I'd love to see a storage increase, price drop and more, but until then I'll continue to buy a boxed copy off Amazon or eBay for about $59. Because it makes more sense than renewing online for $79. Go figure!

GotPro

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2007
THANK GOD!

I've been shelling out $99 a year... and it's starting to get reallll old for the value.

My renewal is in October... and I had been 1/2 way thinking about just pulling out altogether.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.