Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
if it added and fixed as many issues as 7B21 did on the client version then its going to be golden.

GregGomer

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
I assume you mean a good build when you say golden, not necisarily Golden Master, or is that what you are implying?

Also, Anyone heard or have any ideas yet as to what the Panther Shipdate will be, seems by this time last year we knew when Jaguar would be shipping. It'd be nice to know when Panther was going to ship. I saw one rumor of September, but don't know how acurate that was. And the only thing Apple said was some time this year at the WWDC.

Just curious if anyone had heard anything new.

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
Originally posted by GregGomer
I assume you mean a good build when you say golden, not necisarily Golden Master, or is that what you are implying?

Yes, I mean as in good. :)

FredAkbar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Originally posted by GregGomer

Also, Anyone heard or have any ideas yet as to what the Panther Shipdate will be, seems by this time last year we knew when Jaguar would be shipping. It'd be nice to know when Panther was going to ship. I saw one rumor of September, but don't know how acurate that was. And the only thing Apple said was some time this year at the WWDC.

Just curious if anyone had heard anything new.

Apple hasn't given us any news on the shipping date since WWDC, and we haven't heard any info that seriously contradicts what most people (well, me, anyway) believe, which is that we will get at least a release date at Expo Paris in September. Who knows, maybe it will even be released then...but I doubt it.

jaedreth

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2003
In Iraq now
Support for volumues larger than 2TB

Oooh, I'd like to meet the developer who can do this test on a whim... And see if he'd let me play with some of his toys for awhile. *grins*

Looks like Apple is getting far more serious about the Server OS too. Good.

Jaedreth

ldjessee

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2003
Indiana
Volumes larger than 2 TB

Hello,

Consider: If you max out a XServe RAID, it is 2.52 TBs. Try creating a RAID 0 of the whole thing (recommended for uncompressed HD editing).

It would be nice to use it all the drive space you paid for.

And, drives are only going to get larger.

jaedreth

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2003
In Iraq now
2TB of goodness

Works for me...

Though I'd like to see the drives get smaller but their storage capacity increase. I'd like to see XRaid in 2U instead of 3U. And then larger HD volumes. I know, Apple can't do HD Raids as compact and fully featured as people like SUN and IBM without making them *as* expensive. Same with Blades. Xserve and XRaid *can* be scaled to the point where they can compete with what we have here, but they would take up a lot more space, and well, that wouldn't be worth it to the bosses here.

Now, if Apple kept their regular Xserve and XRaid, but then made higher end and far more expensive versions, such as XServe Enterprise and XRaid Enterprise, especially with OS X's 10.3 switch to bash as a default shell (which is a big deal here), then I'm sure I could talk them into testing some out. *grins*

But again Apple would have to release server products that are on par with the top 3 enterprise server makers: HP, IBM, and SUN. Talking mostly Blades, 1U servers, and Raids for the purpose of comparison...

If they did, 10.3 Server looks like a major step in the maturation of the server OS.

Apple still wouldn't be able to compete with the big 3 in their niche markets, but Apple could easily cater to *their* low end markets, those that are usually running either Linux or Unix anyways... And if IBM were making the chips for these bad boys, as well as the hard drive technology, licensed blade technology as well, IBM would still win big time...

Here's to hoping Apple sees the opportunity...

Jaedreth

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.