PDA

View Full Version : David Zelier thinks Apple should enter the video-download ma...

MacBytes
Jul 31, 2003, 02:31 AM
Category: Opinion and Speculation
Link: David Zelier thinks Apple should enter the video-download market too, with an iTunes Music Store-like offering. (http://www.sunspot.net/technology/custom/pluggedin/bal-mac073103,0,7452920.column?coll=bal-business-indepth)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

chewbaccapits
Jul 31, 2003, 10:10 AM
Could you imagine Apple doing this?..It would be cool....In fact, I can see Apple doing this servive, but with an iDVD store!!

TylerL
Jul 31, 2003, 10:22 AM
Reading articles like this makes me want to fling DVDs at the heads of the people who write them.
Video data, compressed or uncompressed is pretty much 10 times as large and complex as a simple stereo audio file.
Asking Apple to get the rights for thousands of movies, convert them to some MPEG-4 variant at ~700MB each for CD burning, then have them for sale at less than $10, I think is impossible right now.
It took compressed music files about 6 years to become a viable business for legit companies.
Video still has a few years to go.

wdlove
Jul 31, 2003, 10:53 AM
I would definitely be interested in Apple having a video download service. Hopefully with Apple's innovation the service would be high quality. I can see this a the next application in Apple's iLife hub!

Bendit
Jul 31, 2003, 12:34 PM
Apple is not suicidal.

It has taken years for digital music to get this far (far as in, accepted, people are willing to buy online, and it downloads fast enough).

Movies are hella large, apple doesn't yet have codecs to make them as small as divx movies, neither does it have anything to play them on.

I could see apple doing this in 2-3 years with an iPod like device that outputs video to a tv or computer.

Music is a prime candidate for online purchasing because there are so many different artists and songs that it is not always easy to find in stores. And sometimes you just want one song. This is not so with movies. There are only a small number of movies out each year, and they are one large movie, not seperate little clips. This makes feature films a bad idea for internet distribution (atleast for now)

Secondly (or thirdly?), audio players are very popular and functional, portable video players never will be. Or atleast not for another 4-5 years. The iPod is elegant. Watching full length feature films on a 2.5" lcd is not elegant. PLugging an iPod live device into a TV to watch movies is not elegant.

The future of movies is through Play on Demand digital cable, not the personal computer.

Television shows on the other hand would do much better. They are short, usually don't depend much on big screen and big sound (tm). They would be much easier to distribute and favoured over watching on tv since you can now watch the episodes whenever you want. Imagine it, you wake your iMac from sleep and look at your TV content manager and see that a new simpsons episode has been downloaded "hoorah!". The ammount of new television content released daily makes this something worth investing in.

MacFan25
Jul 31, 2003, 02:47 PM
I can see this maybe in a few years. But first, there needs to be more people with broadband and DVD burners for something like this to happen, IMO.

I like the name iTheater. :D

Bendit
Jul 31, 2003, 03:23 PM
The iPod was was the evolution of simple mp3 players, which evolved from cd players which evolved from walkmans.

Making a video iPod would be idiotic. There are plenty of portable dvd players on the market. Is anyone buying them? No. Not because they need to be improved upon, because it is useless.

How often have you wanted to watch a full film while out somewhere alone (I say full film because watching it in parts is just wrong)?