Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is hosting a Media Event on Tuesday, August 7th, 2007 for a Mac-focused announcement. There have been long running rumors about potential iMac updates. The Apple iMac was last updated 334 days ago in September 2006.

We've received word that price points for the new "Good", "Better", and "Ultra" iMac models will fall at $1199, $1499, and $1799 price points. No details beyond this are available, and it does not exclude the possibility of other configurations.

Of interest, this differs from the existing iMac lineup which currently holds a range of 17", 20" and 24" models which hit $999, $1199, $1499, and $1999 price points.

Rumors have previously pointed to the elimination of the low end 17" iMac model, which could correlate with these price points. Other reports have claimed that the new iMacs will see a striking new industrial design.

Since MacRumors was not invited to the Media Event, we will be unable to provide live updates, but we will point you to sites that can and provide running updates as well as the usual lively discussion. We will provide SMS updates for those away from a computer butn o spoiler free coverage will be provided as we are uncertain if a full video of the event will be posted.

Article Link

fanbrain

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2005
So. UT
This sounds like it will be quite a fun event. I'm in the market for a new Mac and iLife suite and I can't wait to see what comes tomorrow!

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ

SNIP

We've received word that price points for the new "Good", "Better", and "Ultra" iMac models will fall at $1199, $1499, and $1799 price points. No details beyond this are available, and it does not exclude the possibility of other configurations.

Of interest, this differs from the existing iMac lineup which currently holds a range of 17", 20" and 24" models which hit $999, $1199, $1499, and $1999 price points.

SNIP

Article Link

It would be very nice if the new entry level 20" was $1199 USD.

Ultra model - sounds interesting. 2GB ram standard I guess.

mozmac

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2005
Austin, TX
Bummer...I was hoping for "MacRumorsLive.com" coverage. Apple should have invited MacRumors. I always make it a point to click on links on MacRumors to Apple's site rather than typing in the URLs myself so that Apple will see how much traffic MacRumors brings them.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
WOW, guess apple doesn't want to get rid of the old reputation of being expensive.

Geesh.That's a lot of money, so much for the sub $999 market.

bigraz

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2003
I hope that the "ultra" will give me an opportunity to have at least 4 GB of ram, and 2 1 TB hard drives.

That is all I want ... for now.;)

dernhelm

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2002
middle earth
Ultra? How could they skip Super? What's after Ultra? Mega?

Super... Ultra... Mega!

Stupid name - what's wrong with Good, Better, Best?

I do like the price points if it is 20", 24", and 24" with two raid-0 hard-drives and lots and lots of RAM.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
WOW, guess apple doesn't want to get rid of the old reputation of being expensive.

Geesh.That's a lot of money, so much for the sub $999 market.

The iMac wasn't Apple's main low-end machine. That was the Mac Mini. Maybe that will continue.

And the iMacs are only "expensive" if they cost significantly more than an equivalent name-brand PC. But they don't, in fact, and the new ones aren't likely to either. In fact, the new ones are likely to be an even better deal than the old.

"Equivalent" is the key. A higher-level Mac does of course cost more than a lower-level PC, just like a higher-level Dell costs more than a lower-level HP. This page hasn't been updated in a while, but it makes the point that you need to look at ALL specs before you make the mistake of thinking that a stripped-down cheap Dell (or whatever) is identical to a fully-loaded Mac with software bundle:
http://www.systemshootouts.org/shootouts/desktop/2006/0926_dt1100.html

!¡ V ¡!

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
Here is hoping for a 20" (Good), 24" (Better) and, 24" (Ultra) screen size models.

Sounds like the 17" screen is canned. And it's highly unlikely that a 30" screen option will be released. However the option for a higher resolution 24" would be welcomed. :)

ATG

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2005
I'd buy it if it looked like a dell :p Just release it!!!

I hope they make a video available

nakile

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
Glad to see some of the current prices sticking if this turns out to be true.

My two main hopes are that a SuperDrive and that one Firewire 800 port are standard. It's 2007! Not to mention that FW800 will be a god when it comes to Time Machine.

4God

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2005
My Mac
Here is hoping for a 20" (Good), 24" (Better) and, 24" (Ultra) screen size models.

Sounds like the 17" screen is canned. And it's highly unlikely that a 30" screen option will be released. However the option for a higher resolution 24" would be welcomed. :)

How 'bout a 27"?

bobobo

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2007
Complaints about Apple's prices being expensive stem from they always stay at late-early adopter market price. Compared to the earlier adopter market they are a bargain. But for the late adopters they are very expensive.

The late adopter's equilibrium price point is around $600 including the lot.

fastbite

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2007
London
MacRumors should have been invited! Regardless, I have the feeling we'll get some surprises apart from the more obvious; dead Mini, new iMacs. I feel the the ultra-portable will be announce and the new keyboard will have some surprises regarding multi-touch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.