PDA

View Full Version : Divorce Over Text Messaging?

Mr. Anderson
Jul 31, 2003, 06:39 AM
This is ridiculous. Almost as bad as the law itself.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/asiapcf/southeast/07/27/offbeat.malaysian.divorce.reut/index.html

It seems to me that there should be more control over this, not just saying it three times. Weirdness....

And what if the woman wants to divorce the man? :rolleyes:

Betelgeuse.....Betelgeuse..............Betelgeuse!

D

eyelikeart
Jul 31, 2003, 06:41 AM
ha ha...that is pathetic!!

and it's no surprise...I think it's a showing of just how computers & technology are going to take over some lives...and make us lazy as hel...

Mr. Anderson
Jul 31, 2003, 06:45 AM
And its not quite updating the law to a modern way of life. Its just using tech to do the same thing.

I wonder how soon, if ever, that there will be full equality for all humans and a realization that what might have worked a millennia ago might not apply today.

D

pivo6
Jul 31, 2003, 07:10 AM
This is just a high tech version of writing "I divorce you" on a post-it note and leaving it on the refrigerator. The alarming part for me was that it is still considered part of Islamic law to be able to divorce by mearly saying those 3 magic words three times.

eyelikeart
Jul 31, 2003, 08:38 AM
A defiance to adhere to "western ways," perhaps?

Do people really hold traditions in such high regard that they utterly refuse to "update" to what's considered socially acceptable?

mymemory
Jul 31, 2003, 08:55 AM
If some one ever tell you inmature you can tell them to learn the Islam and then their superior use of technology.

Mr. Anderson
Jul 31, 2003, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by eyelikeart
A defiance to adhere to "western ways," perhaps?

I don't think its a matter of 'western ways' - but more of decency and equality in general.

D

eyelikeart
Jul 31, 2003, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
I don't think its a matter of 'western ways' - but more of decency and equality in general.

I don't think it is either...but who's to say it's not an influence at any level?

anyway...the decency matter is no doubt a huge part of it...sad...

wdlove
Jul 31, 2003, 11:13 AM
Divorce is a very sad issue. Jesus himself said that Moses only allowed for divorce because the people cried out. Once married in the eyes of God you are always married to that person. Making this process easier is wrong.

tazo
Aug 1, 2003, 02:33 AM
I am guessing there wont be a lot of lol's in that convo.

:D

XnavxeMiyyep
Aug 1, 2003, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by wdlove
Divorce is a very sad issue. Jesus himself said that Moses only allowed for divorce because the people cried out. Once married in the eyes of God you are always married to that person. Making this process easier is wrong.
So you truly believe that if someone were in an abusive or miserable relationship after marriage, that they should be stuck together forever?

wdlove
Aug 1, 2003, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by XnavxeMiyyep
So you truly believe that if someone were in an abusive or miserable relationship after marriage, that they should be stuck together forever?

In God's eyes they are. The abuser should go to prison if violence is involved. Otherwise they should seek counseling. Adultery is very serious. If counseling is not sought or it doesn't work then they should remain single. So my answer to your question is that in an abusive or miserable situation, if nothing else works they should separate!

idea_hamster
Aug 1, 2003, 12:35 PM
I think that the ultimate silliness lies in the difference between the process for men and women: Men have to say "I divorce you" three times; women have jump through their own bung hole. Sure -- that might be fair.

MacFan25
Aug 1, 2003, 01:47 PM
It's sad that sometimes good technology is used the wrong way. The Islamic law should be changed.