Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BCS

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2002
The other day I got a bad metallic burning smell coming from my G4. Then about an 15 minutes later it started going to sleep. I can't hear the fan running and think that's the problem. Is this an easy fix, How to do it. turning it off but will check back tomorrow if it will fire back up. The case fan is runnning but I don't the the cpu.

Thanks,

BCS

masse

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2007
MA/GA
a case fan should last 5 years until you need to replace it. Shouldn't be a difficult fix if that is indeed the problem.

BCS

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2002
Thanks masse. Anyone know if any g4 tower cpu fan will work with the mmd. Found one on ebay, but for a single processor.

BCS

BCS

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2002
Seeing that it has two fans. I kind of find it hard to believe both went out at the same time. Besides the cpu fans what else could it be. The machine fires up and everythings fine, then after about 10 minutes it goes to sleep. I can hit the space bar and it come back on then will go to sleep with in a minute. I can still kind of smell a burning, but see no smoke and really can't pin point the location. Could it be the heat sink. I hate spending money on the old goat, but if it's cheap what the heck.

BCS

AlexMaximus

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
A400M Base
Seeing that it has two fans. I kind of find it hard to believe both went out at the same time. Besides the cpu fans what else could it be. The machine fires up and everythings fine, then after about 10 minutes it goes to sleep. I can hit the space bar and it come back on then will go to sleep with in a minute. I can still kind of smell a burning, but see no smoke and really can't pin point the location. Could it be the heat sink. I hate spending money on the old goat, but if it's cheap what the heck.

BCS

Hello my friend,

First of all, did you know that you can power up your G4 MDD tower when the side is open? You can do this for a couple minutes to check on the fans. However don't leave it in the open case configuration longer then a couple minuts because the case fan is not behind the heat sink and cant' cool it.
Usually what happens is that the fan speed goes up as the heat of the CPU/heat sink goes up as a counter messure.
Check on all the fans, now you may see the fan not spinning. Now you know which is bad. One other thing, you always talk about two fans on the CPU ??? On the G4 MDD usually you have only one bigger case fan (120mm) for the heatsink and two small fans for the Power supply.
However, if its the case fan it wouln't be expansive. They are cheap those days. Just in case you don't have any budget, send an e-mail, I still have some laying around somewhere..
Good luck :apple:

BCS

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2002
Thanks for the reply. I did open the side to see which one wasn't running. I thought it was the power supply fans not running, but it is the case fan. The big one. Never replaced one before. Guess there's a first for everything. Are there any instructional site available, and are there better replacement then whats' currently in it that you can just bolt in. I really appreciate the offer on the fan, unfortunetly I just realized I need to get it ASAP and I don't want to trouble you. Are there any overnight retail vendors I can order from that you would recommend or is this something I should be able to grab locally?

Thanks again for the help.

BCS

AlexMaximus

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
A400M Base
A word to the case fan

Thanks for the reply. I did open the side to see which one wasn't running. I thought it was the power supply fans not running, but it is the case fan. The big one. Never replaced one before. Guess there's a first for everything. Are there any instructional site available, and are there better replacement then whats' currently in it that you can just bolt in. I really appreciate the offer on the fan, unfortunetly I just realized I need to get it ASAP and I don't want to trouble you. Are there any overnight retail vendors I can order from that you would recommend or is this something I should be able to grab locally?

Hallo BCS,

I have replaced the original case fan in the past because of cooling and noise experiments. To replace you have three options.

1# You go with the original fan. It is a Papst model 120mm x 37mm, 12V DC, 440mA, 5.3W. You would have to order the fan or find one with equivalent values. The fan is ok, however there are less noiser ones avialble.

2# You can go with a better model, (the one I have). As far as I remember it is a fan with Hydroberaings that has less noise and better cooling. However by using this one it would rquire a small milling action with a dremel tool to make it fit since the fan is wider as the original.

3# You can go with a standard fan that you can get on every corner. They are usually much slimmer. (120mm x 25mm) These are crapy, they don't really fit and you still would need to solder the contact leads.

By the way, I have found my original Papst fan I have replaced a year ago. Its used, but it still works great. You can have it for the shipping cost.
Only thing is, you would need to solder the contact on it, but you would need to that with any solution.

Good luck

Alex :apple:

AlexMaximus

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
A400M Base
Found it..

BCS

Found the one I have, it really works great. Here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Panaflo-NMB-M...6356330QQihZ003QQcategoryZ80034QQcmdZViewItem

Good luck

Alex

AlexMaximus

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
A400M Base

Attachments

• Fan2.jpg
    Fan2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 94
  • Fan1.jpg
    Fan1.jpg
    742 KB · Views: 61
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.