PDA

View Full Version : Live Coverage of the Apple Media Event

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

MacRumors
Aug 7, 2007, 06:44 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

The following sites will be providing live text (and in some instances, photo) coverage of the Apple Media Event.

• Gizmodo (http://live.gizmodo.com/gadgets/apple/apple-town-hall-07-live-5001042.php)
• Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/07/live-from-apples-summer-mac-product-press-conference/)
• SlashGear (http://live.slashgear.com/)
• MacObserver (http://live.macobserver.com/article/2007/08/apple_event.shtml)

The presentation begins at 10 AM Pacific or 1 PM EST (converter (http://www.timezoneconverter.com/cgi-bin/tzc.tzc)).

Apple is widely expected to release new iMacs (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/08/06/new-imacs-on-tuesday/) at this Mac-focused event. Other less certain possibilities include iWork '08 with Spreadsheet (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/08/06/iwork-08-with-spreadsheet/) and .Mac updates (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/08/06/mac-update-coming-at-august-7th-media-event/).

We will keep this list updated.

Read Full Article (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/08/06/live-coverage-of-the-apple-media-event/)

Crispy Duck
Aug 7, 2007, 06:46 AM
The excitement mounts....

samh004
Aug 7, 2007, 06:47 AM
I'll probably go to bed instead of staying up... then again I always say that and end up...

xUKHCx
Aug 7, 2007, 06:48 AM
Cheers for the links, good to see such a wide range of site covering the event. Shame that MacRumors doesn't have its own feed but at least decent enough to provide us with lots of links to it.

Genghis Khan
Aug 7, 2007, 06:51 AM
hmm...starts at 3am for me

that means i might as well go to sleep...cya at 8:30am wednesday aussie time:D

Southern
Aug 7, 2007, 06:52 AM
I'll probably go to bed instead of staying up... then again I always say that and end up...

:) You know you will stay up hehe.

Lucky for us Brits that it takes place just after the working day ends, so we can rush home after the 5pm quitting time and catch the live show updates from 6 onwards. Ah, blogging; suddenly so useful for those of us who aren't able to go to the presentation!

sebastianlewis
Aug 7, 2007, 06:55 AM
Um... .Mac is not less certain. We know for a fact that .Mac is going down at 10 AM Pacific time until 12 PM for "Maintenance" which means that no matter what is announced, .Mac is getting some changes.

Sebastian

Markleshark
Aug 7, 2007, 07:01 AM
5 hours. Getting there.

abrooks
Aug 7, 2007, 07:02 AM
Um... .Mac is not less certain. We know for a fact that .Mac is going down at 10 AM Pacific time until 12 PM for "Maintenance" which means that no matter what is announced, .Mac is getting some changes.

Sebastian

I believe that is called a coincidence, the only facts are the ones that we'll know in 5 hours.

miniConvert
Aug 7, 2007, 07:02 AM
I hate that I get excited about these things! But here I am, waiting, excitedly ;)

bobobo
Aug 7, 2007, 07:03 AM
How about live coverage of the coverage?

nlivo
Aug 7, 2007, 07:04 AM
i guess i might wake up early wednesday (aussie time) and go straight to "apple.com" and see an awesome knew front article then think in my head "how could have i not thought of that"...and be truly amazed at the beauty that is...Johnny Ive.....

pengu
Aug 7, 2007, 07:06 AM
How about live coverage of the coverage?

like a blog detailing what the other bloggers are doing?

"and john from gizmodo is looking nervous. he seems to have some kind of nervous twitch.
oh wow. he's got a perculator in a suitcase hooked up to his arm intravenously!"

sebastianlewis
Aug 7, 2007, 07:07 AM
I believe that is called a coincidence, the only facts are the ones that we'll know in 5 hours.

I for one don't believe in intentional coincidence (it's an oxymoron). 2 hours of scheduled "maintenance" during the same time Steve announces everything that's new and exciting in the world. Either Apple is just getting ready for Back to my Mac (2 months before it's due in Leopard) or they've got something else up their sleeve in regards to .Mac.

Sebastian

ezekielrage_99
Aug 7, 2007, 07:08 AM
Fingers crossed for new iPods :D

Markleshark
Aug 7, 2007, 07:10 AM

Ditto. :D

Macs? Do Apple even make those anymore?

:o:D;)

basbr
Aug 7, 2007, 07:13 AM
The following sites will be providing live text (and in some instances, photo) coverage of the Apple Media Event.

Which of the sites will provide live photos of the introduced products? I read that Gizmodo supplies us with a "TV cam before and after (but not during the event)", but no other site mentions live photos...

Anyone?

Rintel
Aug 7, 2007, 07:18 AM
I hope there will be a video of this presentation soon after the event. From what I have read there won't be any new iPods, just new Macs. It would be nice for new everything, but then we would have to wait too long between special events like this :)

Kaptajn Haddock
Aug 7, 2007, 07:29 AM
How often is .Mac down for maintanence? Could it just be some small change?

paetrick
Aug 7, 2007, 07:29 AM
Doesn't the sms "live coverage" work outside of United states? :eek: /cry I'm at work to 00:00 tonight :(

illitrate23
Aug 7, 2007, 07:35 AM
there's still over 4 hours to go and i can already feel the effect of the RDF :D
annoyingly i'm likely to be on the train heading homewards at the time of the announcement - so i've had to sign up for the sms feed cos i'm not sure i can stand the suspence of having to wait till i actually get home

an very much hoping for touchscreen imacs - even though it's gonna financially cripple me to get one

d_saum
Aug 7, 2007, 07:41 AM
Come on MAC MINI!!!!! I want a Mac Mini update so bad it hurts!!!! Well... ok, it doesn't hurt, but my media center with the old 350Mhz G3 is on its last leg and Im waiting for a new Mini (or whatever replaces it).

And no.. I don't believe in coincedence between the "maintenance" and the event. I'll bet my left nut that there is a major change to .Mac today. :D

Fab_Fab
Aug 7, 2007, 07:43 AM

I was at a big retailer for electronics today (MediaMarkt in Switzerland). They ran out of stock of iPods only a few nanos and shuffles where still avaliable. So maby there is really an iPod upgrade coming.

apfelmann
Aug 7, 2007, 07:45 AM
"shipping ipod boxes to the US right now"

if apple does not announce new ipods, would it be possible they hold another media event in september? isn't that to close?

... well, maybe then october? ****, that's a long time ...

amberashby
Aug 7, 2007, 07:46 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1C25 Safari/419.3)

hope we get a .mac update

apfelmann
Aug 7, 2007, 07:48 AM
I was at a big retailer for electronics today (MediaMarkt in Switzerland). They ran out of stock of iPods only a few nanos and shuffles where still avaliable. So maby there is really an iPod upgrade coming.

interessant, ich weiss nicht wie es hier in österreich ist ...
aber normalerweise erfahren mediamarkt/saturn genauso wenig über neue apple produkte, wie wir armen ipod-warter :)

grüße aus österreich

tintifax3k
Aug 7, 2007, 07:53 AM
interessant, ich weiss nicht wie es hier in österreich ist ...
aber normalerweise erfahren mediamarkt/saturn genauso wenig über neue apple produkte, wie wir armen ipod-warter :)

grüße aus österreich

eher noch weniger - die lesen ja kein macrumors... :)

auch grüße aus österreich!

tintifax

aLoC
Aug 7, 2007, 07:55 AM
Could this event also be a surprise early release of Leopard?

slidingjon
Aug 7, 2007, 07:58 AM
it's going to be nice to have a whole keynote for macs! It sure has been a while!

Karpfish
Aug 7, 2007, 07:59 AM

I was actually just thinking about that. But I think steve has made it so clear that it is coming in October that people might get confused. ANd also I got the feeling that it isn't really done from the dev beta testers.

airmac
Aug 7, 2007, 07:59 AM
Where is the event?

ImAlwaysRight
Aug 7, 2007, 08:00 AM
Let's just see how close this comes ...

$1199
20"
2.2GHz
1GB RAM (up to 4gb)
250GB HD
SuperDrive
8600 - 128MB

$1499
20"
2.4GHz
2GB RAM
400GB HD (or 500GB)
SuperDrive
8600GT - 256

$1799
24"
2.4GHz
2GB RAM
400GB HD (or 500GB)
SuperDrive
8600GT - 256

daneoni
Aug 7, 2007, 08:05 AM

$1199
20"
2.2GHz
1GB RAM (up to 4gb)
250GB HD
SuperDrive
8600 - 128MB

$1499
20"
2.4GHz
2GB RAM
400GB HD (or 500GB)
SuperDrive
8600GT - 256

$1799
24"
2.4GHz
2GB RAM
400GB HD (or 500GB)
SuperDrive
8600GT - 256

Good enough but surely there has to be a bigger distinction between the 20" and 24" like making the 8600 (256) standard in 24 but 8600 128 standard in 20 with BTO of (256). Also the new 2.6GHz chip (if out yet?) might go into the 24" whilst 2.4 goes in the 20 and 2.2 the 17.

Dunno just a thought

BlackMax
Aug 7, 2007, 08:06 AM
Only four hours left to go... I went over to MacObserver to read some of the speculation there and found this statement by Vern Seward to be a little bit of a let down:

New iMacs: Speaking of being just in time for the new school year, new iMacs would be just the ticket, so Apple will likely announce new iMacs as well. Don't expect big design changes, the current design is excellent and will likely continue for some time. Do expect some internal design changes; more CPU power, bigger drives and the like.

This seems to go in the the face of a lot of predictions I've read about the iMac being redesigned (thinner, sleeker, etc.). :confused:

I was hoping for a new and exciting design change with the new iMac. I hope Vern is wrong. Either way, we will all know soon.

SirCrumpet
Aug 7, 2007, 08:07 AM
Which of the sites will provide live photos of the introduced products? I read that Gizmodo supplies us with a "TV cam before and after (but not during the event)", but no other site mentions live photos...

Anyone?

Don't know about the others, but engadget always has photos (and generally the best live-coverage of these events if you ask me)

corywoolf
Aug 7, 2007, 08:09 AM
How often is .Mac down for maintanence? Could it just be some small change?

.Mac will ALMOST definitely see an upgrade. Coincidence, I think not. I believe most maintenance takes place during obscure hours on sundays. The bookmarks feature is so outdated, it has old school brushed metal and doesn't even load properly in the latest Safari. There's a lot of little things that point at it needing an update. More so, a lot of people who got .Mac probably got it near the back to school season, so they are deciding whether or not to pay $99 again.

basbr
Aug 7, 2007, 08:09 AM
Don't know about the others, but engadget always has photos (and generally the best live-coverage of these events if you ask me)

Thanks for the tip!

zwida
Aug 7, 2007, 08:10 AM
Only four hours left to go... I went over to MacObserver to read some of the speculation there and found this statement by Vern Seward to be a little bit of a let down:

This seems to go in the the face of a lot of predictions I've read about the iMac being redesigned (thinner, sleeker, etc.). :confused:

I was hoping for a new and exciting design change with the new iMac. I hope Vern is wrong. Either way, we will all know soon.

I don't think they'd bother with a media event for a speed bump. Of course, they had a standalone media event for the leather iPod case and the Apple HiFi, so who knows...

Hairball
Aug 7, 2007, 08:10 AM
I'm glad there'll be live coverage. It's too bad MacRumors wasn't invited.

Cross your fingers for an iWork update with spreadsheet. :o

igazza
Aug 7, 2007, 08:11 AM
iboom

iBlue
Aug 7, 2007, 08:13 AM
Have you ever seen the live coverage here? I think it's done really well. (WWDC?)

kbrain2929
Aug 7, 2007, 08:14 AM

Does Engadget's pages update automatically? Or do we have to refresh manually?? :apple:

thesdx
Aug 7, 2007, 08:14 AM
Does Engadget's live coverage use that "no-refresh" script?

kbrain2929
Aug 7, 2007, 08:15 AM
Great minds think alike... bit weird though! :apple:

thesdx
Aug 7, 2007, 08:16 AM
Great minds think alike... bit weird though! :apple:

LOL. :rolleyes:

wvtbred

I mentioned that in the iMac thread and think it's very possible that the new machines will come with Leopard.

SirCrumpet
Have you ever seen the live coverage here? I think it's done really well. (WWDC?)

Heh - i have, but i think i really tried it at a bad time - can't remember which event, but from memory at least 3/4 of the posts were all tagged with "- from engadget" so I never really bothered after that :)

thesdx/kbrain - no, no auto refresh i'm afraid, but i use a firefox script for that, so it doesnt really bother me...

Mr.damien
A real competitive price for Apple Displays, please ... :mad:

j-a-x
Aug 7, 2007, 08:17 AM
What about iLife 2007? I still don't buy the fact that it's going to require Leopard. iLife has never been that OS dependent before (has it?). Besides, we're long overdue for an update.

I can see some features being leopard enhanced, but I can't see the entire software requiring leopard.

kbrain2929
Aug 7, 2007, 08:18 AM
I mentioned that in the iMac thread and think it's very possible that the new machines will come with Leopard.

If these things come with Leopard.... (mark my words) They WILL be sold out very very soon!!:apple:

corywoolf
Aug 7, 2007, 08:19 AM

$1199
20"
2.2GHz
1GB RAM (up to 4gb)
250GB HD
SuperDrive
8600 - 128MB

$1499
20"
2.4GHz
2GB RAM
400GB HD (or 500GB)
SuperDrive
8600GT - 256

$1799
24"
2.4GHz
2GB RAM
400GB HD (or 500GB)
SuperDrive
8600GT - 256

Seems pretty likely. I had this idea that Apple may add a tray loading 2.5" hard drive bay to the side for use with Time Machine. That would be pretty nifty, just using it to back up media files to one drive and stick another in for regular backups of documents. Sort of like those 30 GB Zip Disk drives, but Apple branded and much bigger in storage.

kwood
Aug 7, 2007, 08:19 AM
A real competitive price for Apple Displays, please ... :mad:

To go along with the Mac mini upgrade.... yeah I know... but I can dream can't I?

SirCrumpet
Aug 7, 2007, 08:20 AM
Where is the event?

Its held at Apple Town Hall, Infinite Loop, Cupertino

kbrain2929
Aug 7, 2007, 08:22 AM
Has anyone used Slashgear's coverage before? How is their coverage? They do auto-update, so you just sit back and watch. :apple:

thesdx
thesdx/kbrain - no, no auto refresh i'm afraid, but i use a firefox script for that, so it doesnt really bother me...

Is it a Firefox Add-on? If so, where can I get it?

kbrain2929

Go to Firefox's add-on page and search for auto refresh

Elvis the Cat
Aug 7, 2007, 08:23 AM
Holding breath here too...

On the dream list, how about some sort of wi-fi enabled remote (with screen, like a nano, I guess) to bring a new iMac/AppleTV/Airtunes together?

It would sure help with my kitchen speakers wired to the AppleTV in the lounge linked to the iMac upstairs in the study...

Thinking about this, it's probably something the iPhone could do with Salling Clicker like software - IF IT EVER TURNS UP OVER HERE!

Anyway, I'd like to think Steve & Jonathan's lives evolve around my kitchen audio requirements.

Enjoy the event all.

SirCrumpet
Aug 7, 2007, 08:25 AM

ReloadEvery

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/115

corywoolf
Aug 7, 2007, 08:25 AM

Wow, I think you just hit the nail on the head. That would stop people from waiting 'til October to buy. It's not like Apple still can't just update it in October. Maybe they will ship with a Pre-release (BETA-esque) version of Leopard that will receive a free upgrade to the gold master of Leopard in October via download?

aLoC
Aug 7, 2007, 08:28 AM
ANd also I got the feeling that it isn't really done from the dev beta testers.

I have heard from some people that there aren't very many bugs.

leviut
Aug 7, 2007, 08:31 AM
i would not be surprised if there was live t.v. coverage of the event!!! that would be awesome!!!:eek:

corywoolf
Aug 7, 2007, 08:31 AM

I don't think they'd wait this long for a mediocre design change.

igazza
Aug 7, 2007, 08:33 AM
i love steve jobs :app
i want a mac mini that fits in my pocket.. think different :apple:

kwood
Aug 7, 2007, 08:33 AM
Wow, I think you just hit the nail on the head. That would stop people from waiting 'til October to buy. It's not like Apple still can't just update it in October. Maybe they will ship with a Pre-release (BETA-esque) version of Leopard that will receive a free upgrade to the gold master of Leopard in October via download?

I really can't fore see this happening. It doesn't make any sense to me. Why would Apple sell a computer with an OS that is not complete. There are already tons of complaints about some of the stuff that has been released which has been finalized. There would be even more with something that is still incomplete no matter how little bugs there may appear to be.

k2k koos
Aug 7, 2007, 08:35 AM
While I also strongly believe that a new iMac is in the cards, I am a little careful too, visiting Apple online stores in both UK and US revealed that the entire iMac , and Mac mini lines are shipping 'within 24h". Usually these shipping times go up when a new product is released.
Perhaps the old stock will be sold at refurb prices, perhaps it has just not been updated as the new iMacs may be available as of today, so if you order the old model, you get a new model instead... :apple:

Lesser Evets
Aug 7, 2007, 08:35 AM
i would not be surprised if there was live t.v. coverage of the event!!! that would be awesome!!!:eek:

Like, Steve Jobs on the left half of the screen and a live car chase from San Diego on the right? That way they get both the geeks and freaks tuning in simultaneously.
What about iLife 2007? I still don't buy the fact that it's going to require Leopard. iLife has never been that OS dependent before (has it?).

I don't understand how people believe iLife and iWork will have to release with OSX 10.5. Apple will just destroy ALL support for other OSs and cut their ability to sell more copies by making them 10.5 exclusive??? Insane.

iLife went Gold Master, and most likely it will release today. If they are releasing new iMacs they need to sell some function along with it, and iLife (hopefully iWork too) will have plenty of new, cool stuff. And hopefully they work better with Leopard.

thesdx
Aug 7, 2007, 08:36 AM
I really can't fore see this happening. It doesn't make any sense to me. Why would Apple sell a computer with an OS that is not complete. There are already tons of complaints about some of the stuff that has been released which has been finalized. There would be even more with something that is still incomplete no matter how little bugs there may appear to be.

I agree. That would be a really dumb thing to do. I think they will ship with Tiger, then when Leopard comes out, everyone will buy Leopard, and Apple will make more $$$.

thesdx
Aug 7, 2007, 08:37 AM
While I also strongly believe that a new iMac is in the cards, I am a little careful too, visiting Apple online stores in both UK and US revealed that the entire iMac , and Mac mini lines are shipping 'within 24h". Usually these shipping times go up when a new product is released.
Perhaps the old stock will be sold at refurb prices, perhaps it has just not been updated as the new iMacs may be available as of today, so if you order the old model, you get a new model instead... :apple:

Maybe Apple is saving the old iMacs for education customers. I think they did that once before.

AEP
Aug 7, 2007, 08:38 AM
Anyway, I'd like to think Steve & Jonathan's lives evolve around my kitchen audio requirements.

:D Very Funny!

was looking forward so much to this but just been told were all going out for a big family dinner in about 4hrs time! :mad:

Lesser Evets
Aug 7, 2007, 08:42 AM
Apple online stores in both UK and US revealed that the entire iMac , and Mac mini lines are shipping 'within 24h". Usually these shipping times go up when a new product is released.
You forget they might ANNOUNCE today and sell IN SEPTEMBER. Or even beyond with the release of Leopard.

kwood
Aug 7, 2007, 08:45 AM
You forget they might ANNOUNCE today and sell IN SEPTEMBER. Or even beyond with the release of Leopard.

This is very true, but I sure hope it's not like this. I want to see unboxing pictures today.

thesdx
Aug 7, 2007, 08:45 AM

I highly doubt they'd announce them today and ship them in Sept. Steve said that they wouldn't be pre-announcing products as much these days. They will probably either ship today or sometime in the next few weeks.

danielwsmithee
Aug 7, 2007, 08:46 AM
I mentioned that in the iMac thread and think it's very possible that the new machines will come with Leopard.No way. It is crazy how every time we have one of these people get these completely unrealistic expectations.

fr3nch13
Aug 7, 2007, 08:47 AM
My mom is going to by my little brother a Mac Book for college. Do you think he'll be able to get the free Leopard Update?

sigzero
Aug 7, 2007, 08:48 AM
You would think that maintenance would happen in "off" hours. That is one reason I am hoping for some changes.

danielwsmithee
Aug 7, 2007, 08:51 AM
My mom is going to by my little brother a Mac Book for college. Do you think he'll be able to get the free Leopard Update?No but he can get a free iPod Nano.

Tampa Tom
Aug 7, 2007, 08:51 AM

Look at the resellers inventories. Amazon has only 5 "new and used" 20" iMacs listed and SmallDog.com has ONE new 20" iMac and a ton listed at 7-10 day delivery.

They will announce and start selling them immediately.

daneoni
Aug 7, 2007, 08:54 AM

Shipping times change all the time and to be honest, i dont think shipping times are indicative of anything. Just because it says 24 hrs doesn't mean the new iMacs wont be shipping in 24 hrs either or even 4-6 weeks.

True, but very unlikely IMHO

vandlism
Aug 7, 2007, 08:57 AM
A real competitive price for Apple Displays, please ... :mad: You can't ask for much more than prices being closer to Dell. As far as I know, Dell uses the same panels, but Apple's displays are the nicest in the industry.

fillz
Aug 7, 2007, 08:59 AM
I think the only thing 100% certain in terms of hardware revisions for the iMac is that the entire line-up will have LED backlights. If the Apple displays get a refresh as well, then they will sport LED backlighting as well. This is in line with SJ's earlier commitment to dump CFL by end of year.

cheunghy
Aug 7, 2007, 09:01 AM
I think the only thing 100% certain in terms of hardware revisions for the iMac is that the entire line-up will have LED backlights. If the Apple displays get a refresh as well, then they will sport LED backlighting as well. This is in line with SJ's earlier commitment to dump CFL by end of year.

Didn't he just promise to bring 'the first Macs with LED displays' this year? If so, it doesn't mean Apple has to eliminate CFL across the entire product lineup in 2007.

Sam0r
Aug 7, 2007, 09:04 AM
Didn't he just promise to bring 'the first Macs with LED displays' this year? If so, it doesn't mean Apple has to eliminate CFL across the entire product lineup in 2007.

No, it doesn't mean that Apple HAS to eliminate CCFL across the entire board, but Apple seem to be right on the tech normally, so it wouldn't suprise me if we saw LED backlighting across the board by the end of 2007.

aswitcher
Aug 7, 2007, 09:05 AM

Yep, so iMacs and the ACDs are likely.

aLoC
Aug 7, 2007, 09:07 AM
I don't understand how people believe iLife and iWork will have to release with OSX 10.5. Apple will just destroy ALL support for other OSs and cut their ability to sell more copies by making them 10.5 exclusive??? Insane.

But if they ruthlessly push the Mac forward, then gradually over time they'll pull significantly ahead of Windows and get more switchers and make more $ that way.

kwood

You one think the iMacs are 100% certain to be released because everyone thinks they will be, and is talking about it. In reality its all speculation. It may seem likely something will happen to the iMacs because they haven't been updated in a while, but until its announced, there is no certainty.

running
By the way, why is MacRumors never invited on events like that (and some stupid Engadget and Gizmodo are)? :(

mrat93
Aug 7, 2007, 09:12 AM

Anyone?

Engadget did for MWSF, NAB (If thats what it was actually called, I forgot:p) and WWDC, so I guess Engadget is your best bet.

jnc
Aug 7, 2007, 09:13 AM
Of course, they had a standalone media event for the leather iPod case and the Apple HiFi

...and the Intel Mac Mini

jnc
Aug 7, 2007, 09:14 AM
By the way, why is MacRumors never invited on events like that (and some stupid Engadget and Gizmodo are)? :(

think of the major corporations the sites you mentioned are affiliated to. They're not inviting engadget per se, they're inviting AOL.

sinster
Aug 7, 2007, 09:19 AM
I just dont get it....maybe someone here can help...

All the rumours point to the new iMacs being "like ACD enclosures"...are we then saying that there will be no visual difference between the two? I mean, if they are the same form factor, and the same finish (brushed aluminium or whatever the ACD is now) - then the only difference might be some "thickness"???

Also - what about the perpetual isight in ACD debate that had happened some months back - will they or wont they...

Finally - headless macs - wouldnt merging of the appleTV product and the mac mini allow for the upgraded headless mac that most people want? I mean - if you think about it; a mac mini connected to you TV (with the HD connections) running front row basically equals an apple tv right???

questions questions...some answer im sure within today..others...???

AcousTronic
Aug 7, 2007, 09:19 AM
Anyone with video coverage of the event? If not, will it be available to see after the event like the normal Keynotes?? If so, I may just wait and watch it rather than reading it as it happens.

wvtbred
Aug 7, 2007, 09:20 AM

Not wise IMO and it will actually piss me off. Just release the new ones already.

SirCrumpet
Aug 7, 2007, 09:28 AM
think of the major corporations the sites you mentioned are affiliated to. They're not inviting engadget per se, they're inviting AOL.

I Beg to differ. If thats so, then why doesn't TUAW (also of weblogs inc, of AOL Time Warner) have the privilege. I think it has more to do with the amount of viewers big blogs like engadget pull over places like macrumors.

spikeyjac
Aug 7, 2007, 09:29 AM
just for the clarification what time wil this event start toronto time?
thanks
jack

benspratling
Aug 7, 2007, 09:30 AM
eher noch weniger - die lesen ja kein macrumors... :)

auch grüße aus österreich!

tintifax

I think my universal translator is broken, I'd better have Paramount come out and inspect the one that's suppossed to be installed in my TV so I understand the aliens in Star Trek... ;) anybody know what the dude is saying above?

SirCrumpet
Aug 7, 2007, 09:32 AM
thanks
jack

Toronto is GMT -5 is it not? If so it will be at 12 noon for you.

dabless
Aug 7, 2007, 09:33 AM
So...I'm really excited and all..but was it REALLY necessary that you send the first SMS notification at 5 in the freaking AM? I wake up extra early this morning to "Just 4 hours and 20 minutes until the event, stay tuned." or whatever. Yes, I'm super excited, just NOT at that hour!!!

Dublinstiofán
Aug 7, 2007, 09:33 AM
Be a nice time in Dublin 6pm , hopin they might tell us in Ireland when were getting the iphone. Although its supposed to be Mac only stuff, can always hope. :rolleyes:

airmac
Aug 7, 2007, 09:36 AM
thanks
jack

At 1 PM.

JobsRules
Aug 7, 2007, 09:37 AM
I'm going to stick my neck out and declare the iMac will be killed off today as it's the last mac to use the 'i' prefix.

I think we'll see some sort of kick-arse 'mac midi' with Intel's desktop line of processors. There'll be new Cinema Displays that can somehow attach to the new machines giving the flavour of an all-in-one but not locking you in to one monitor.

The new machines will be called MacSomething or simply Mac.

Cinema displays will become cheaper, slicker and have iSights.

The old iMac will live on for a while as the iMac Classic, aimed mainly at schools.

A single, moderately upgraded Mac Mini will also be announced.

arn
Aug 7, 2007, 09:38 AM
So...I'm really excited and all..but was it REALLY necessary that you send the first SMS notification at 5 in the freaking AM? I wake up extra early this morning to "Just 4 hours and 20 minutes until the event, stay tuned." or whatever. Yes, I'm super excited, just NOT at that hour!!!

Sorry... east coast here. :)

arn

benspratling
Aug 7, 2007, 09:38 AM
i love steve jobs :app
i want a mac mini that fits in my pocket.. think different :apple:

It's called an "iPhone."

mrgreen4242
Aug 7, 2007, 09:39 AM

$1199
20"
2.2GHz
1GB RAM (up to 4gb)
250GB HD
SuperDrive
8600 - 128MB

$1499
20"
2.4GHz
2GB RAM
400GB HD (or 500GB)
SuperDrive
8600GT - 256

$1799
24"
2.4GHz
2GB RAM
400GB HD (or 500GB)
SuperDrive
8600GT - 256

Hm... I'd say more like:
iMacs - new design, ACD-ish with aluminum, etc.
$1199 - 20", 1gb, 250gb, CD ('cause Apple likes to force you into the next model for one feature you NEED), 2.2ghz C2D, not to up on current GPUs, but something cheap-ish w/ 128mb.
$1499 - 20", 2gb, 500gb, SD, 2.4ghz C2D, slightly upgraded GPU (faster, more VRAM).
$1799 - 24", 2gb, 500gb (maybe second HDD an option now, depending on design) , SD, 2.6ghz C2D with announcement for quad core model shipping soon, upgraded GPU, something pretty high end but not enough to satisfy the gamer crowd :p

Mini - new form factor, AppleTV footprint, roughly the same height as the current mini, maybe a few tenths taller. White plastic design, since the iMac moved to aluminum.
$499 - C2D 1.8ghz, 1gb RAM (4gb max), 120gb (desktop) HDD, CD, x3000.
$599 - C2D 2.0ghz, 1gb, 160gb, SD, x3000.
$799 - C2D 2.2ghz, 2gb, 250/300gb, SD, 7200GT (or something around that low-middle class; again, not up on the GPUs nowadays).
BTO options: TV tuner, new LCD screen/multitouch universal remote (IR and BT), HDD up to 500gb.

Displays - Current ACDs get a price drop, maybe some new specs. Keeping the "pro" target market.
New LCDs for the home market:
$199 - 19" widescreen (1440x900), 18-bit, iSight built in, matches the new mini/old iMac. iPod dick built in, with 1 additional USB port (to help separate the "pro" and "consumer" displays).
$299 - 22" widescreen (1680x1050), 18-bit, iSight, same design as 19". Same design and features.
BTO option: attachable speakers or base with speakers in it ~$99, can interface directly with iPod or the computer.

Wishful thinking sure, but I think there's a grain of potential truth to a lot of it. :)

benspratling
Aug 7, 2007, 09:41 AM
I think we'll see some sort of kick-arse 'mac midi' with Intel's desktop line of processors. There'll be new Cinema Displays that can somehow attach to the new machines giving the flavour of an all-in-one but not locking you in to one monitor.

What the heck is a "Mac Midi?" Does it have a plug-in for my 70+ key board? Or does it wirelessly connect with my iPhone to play the sound from those NES games?

mjpaci
Aug 7, 2007, 09:42 AM
On the East Coast of the US we are in Daylight Savings Time not Standard Time.

gnasher729
Aug 7, 2007, 09:47 AM

That is not only not certain, it is extremely unlikely to happen.

The 15inch MBP with LED backlights has 14 days delivery time. There is no 17inch MBP with LED backlights and no MacBook. Production of LED backlight displays is just not there yet. The portables would be the first candidates, because power savings are ten times more important for portables. Don't expect an iMac with LED backlight before all the portables got them, and that will take a bit.

Simon R.
Aug 7, 2007, 09:47 AM
Gimme Logic 8 goddamnit... It is SO overdue :mad:

LizKat
Aug 7, 2007, 09:51 AM

Speaking truth to power doesn't guarantee a press pass for the next gig, does it. Ask any journalist. And speaking RUMORS to Apple, well... ;-)

ironring2006
Aug 7, 2007, 09:55 AM
thanks
jack
It'll start at 1pm EDT (Toronto Time)

10am PDT = EDT - 3

PumaGuy
Aug 7, 2007, 09:58 AM
montreal ftw

spikeyjac
Aug 7, 2007, 09:59 AM

am holding out for ipods but i know there wont be any :-(

psychboy
Aug 7, 2007, 09:59 AM
You all don't know what you're talking about. This event is going to be about one thing and one thing only: the new MacBook Pro 85W power adapter. My wallet's gonna be $79 lighter today!! :apple:

Yateball
Aug 7, 2007, 10:01 AM
You all don't know what you're talking about. This event is going to be about one thing and one thing only: the new MacBook Pro 85W power adapter. My wallet's gonna be $79 lighter today!! :apple:

I really, really hope you're joking and that you don't actually believe they'd have a big event like this for the announcement of an insignificant new power adapter...

megfilmworks
Aug 7, 2007, 10:02 AM

arnI never realized that ARN and MacRumors is an East Coast thing.
I though they only sold Apple products to native Californians. :)

easymac800g4
Aug 7, 2007, 10:04 AM
do you think that they will raise the imac out of a podium (assuming that they announce a new imac) I went back and watched all the unvielings of the rev A B & C iMacs and they cant break tradition, they have to have a dramatic unvieling

ortuno2k
Aug 7, 2007, 10:05 AM
oh come on START already!!! :)

yellow
Aug 7, 2007, 10:07 AM
The excitement mounts....

Kinky! What is the excitment mounting? Can I watch? For free? :D

Kirk
Aug 7, 2007, 10:07 AM
Pretty funny to watch this again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BHPtoTctDY

netdog
Aug 7, 2007, 10:08 AM

My understanding upon the original "Aluminum Macs in August" rumour was that these new iMacs would be 2" thick with a reduced chin. That would make them thicker, but also means they could offer things like a second drive bay or hotter running (quad core) chips.

We'll see what they do.

wvtbred
Aug 7, 2007, 10:09 AM
oh come on START already!!! :)

It starts at 10 PDT which is 1 PM EDT

megfilmworks
Aug 7, 2007, 10:11 AM
Great clip, times sure change!!

mhillman159
Aug 7, 2007, 10:12 AM
I cant wait and not long to wait now only 2 hours!

1pm EST is 6pm GMT if anyone doesn't know. ;-)

:apple:

yellow
Aug 7, 2007, 10:14 AM

My gosh!

No mock-turtle?! No jeans?!

Yateball
Aug 7, 2007, 10:16 AM

What great computers those were too.... apple's always been at the top of their game.

Yateball
Aug 7, 2007, 10:22 AM
Does anyone else find the entire idea of the touchscreen iMac a little farfetched?

There's just somethin in the back of my mind saying "no way will that happen"

mgargan1
Aug 7, 2007, 10:23 AM
What great computers those were too.... apple's always been at the top of their game.

It's actually quite amazing how much we've come technology wise...

I mean, i saw in that clip some really old software, (word 98). But, just lokoing at the specs, we went from 233MHz G3, to quad core design cpu's, with programmable graphic chipsets... not to mention the design has changed too! We'll see if the design will be different by the end of today.

stagi
Aug 7, 2007, 10:23 AM

That was great to watch. :)

ironring2006
Aug 7, 2007, 10:26 AM
I cant wait and not long to wait now only 2 hours!

1pm EST is 6pm GMT if anyone doesn't know. ;-)

:apple:

True!

But most of us are on Daylight Savings Time here in NA
So:
10am PDT = 1pm EDT
1pm EDT = 5pm GMT

but:
The UK is currently on BST!
So:
5pm GMT = 6pm BST

Anyway, I think we should all switch to decimal time!

Either way, we're almost there!

kbrain2929
Aug 7, 2007, 10:29 AM
Has anybody noticed that WWDC 06' started a year ago TODAY?

ThunderLounge
Aug 7, 2007, 10:31 AM

arn

Heh, partner with Starbucks or something Arn, and start sending out messages at 3am. :D

basbr
Aug 7, 2007, 10:33 AM
Does anyone else find the entire idea of the touchscreen iMac a little farfetched?

There's just somethin in the back of my mind saying "no way will that happen"

I was just watching Steve present the iMac G4 on Youtube. I can totally see him presenting a similar design of which you can pull the screen towards you, lie it flat and arrange photos, mix music, do your layout work, control iTunes, and create movies.

I could even see Steve claiming, "as of today, the physical keyboard is a thing of the past."

But not today.

techlover828
Aug 7, 2007, 10:33 AM

ya, thats really funny, and yet sad to realize how outdated my macbook pro will be in 9 years.

also, when does there website get updated? after or before he show?

Peace
Aug 7, 2007, 10:35 AM
Has anybody noticed that WWDC 06' started a year ago TODAY?

Did you also know that August 7th was the first keynote given by Steve Jobs after becoming iCEO 10 years ago in 1997 ? ;)

Slickgonzalez
Aug 7, 2007, 10:37 AM
I've never bought a new product the day of release before, so can someone tell me what to expect?

I'm so excited to buy a new iMac, but I'm not sure what time I should go to the apple store?

Should I stay at home and read the live coverage, or do you think these are gong to be flying off the shelves? I can easily go wait at the apple store. How soon after they are announced are they available in the stores?

Can the stores do BTO right then and there?

wongulous
Aug 7, 2007, 10:38 AM
Only 22 minutes!!! :D

tomd89
Aug 7, 2007, 10:39 AM
1 hour nd 21 mins actually

Taylor C
Aug 7, 2007, 10:40 AM
1:20 to go. I'm really excited. :apple:

kbrain2929
Aug 7, 2007, 10:40 AM

"These things are uuugglyyy." LMAO!!! :D :apple:
WOW!! 32MB! 4GB! UNBELIVABLE!! lol. :apple:

bowens
Aug 7, 2007, 10:43 AM
I doubt this would happen, but I would like to see an iMac with a full touch screen. Not so I could reach up and touch buttons on the screen but to lay it flat and use it as a tablet for doing graphics. That would be great.

wongulous
Aug 7, 2007, 10:45 AM
1 hour nd 21 mins actually

Oh dammit. I always mess up time zones. That's foreverrrrrrr. :(

gamerz
Aug 7, 2007, 10:46 AM
W00T! I can't believe after eleven months of waiting, today is finally the day.

Sucks though, I'm going camping in an hour, no computer for 3 days to watch it from...

Anyways, New Imacs!!! :D ;) :p :) :eek: :apple:

Frisco
Aug 7, 2007, 10:46 AM

I mean, i saw in that clip some really old software, (word 98). But, just lokoing at the specs, we went from 233MHz G3, to quad core design cpu's, with programmable graphic chipsets... not to mention the design has changed too! We'll see if the design will be different by the end of today.

If you ever used an Amiga computer back in the late 80s early 90s, you would realize that we really haven't come too far technology wise.

KurtangleTN
Aug 7, 2007, 10:49 AM
The New iMac from $919
Save up to $100 (mail-in rebate).
Free Shipping & Printer. Ends Soon!
MacMall.com

Just got while typing iMac into google (was going to see the release date of the G3 one)

techlover828
Aug 7, 2007, 10:49 AM

I know, it really makes you think what kind of computers are going to be out in another 10 years, weird to think about!

kbrain2929
Aug 7, 2007, 10:50 AM
1 Hour & 10 Min. Blood starting to flow... heart starting to pump... credit card ready to just out of wallett... I have a feeling that this is going to be a good day! :apple:

indiekiduk
Aug 7, 2007, 10:50 AM
If you ever used an Amiga computer back in the late 80s early 90s, you would realize that we really haven't come too far technology wise.

heh I had a Amiga 500 and then an Amiga 1200!

MVFipher
Aug 7, 2007, 10:51 AM
For those in +1 (Scandinavia, most of Europe, center-west Africa), with California being at -9, I beleive the time should be 8 pm for us. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I too would be surpirised if there were no .Mac updates.

Edit: Please correct me if Iæm wrong abou the times. Based on what a reviouse poster said at 17:50 Begren time, "1 Hour & 10 Min." would be at 7 PM (18:00) rather than 8 (20:00)

Havve I made an error somewhere? My head hurts...

geeyesgee
Aug 7, 2007, 10:51 AM
Bring back the round mouse! :D

AlexisV
Aug 7, 2007, 10:52 AM
I suspect 'New iMac' refers to one that's been on sale for a year.

DakotaGuy
Bring back the round mouse! :D

I have one in my closet if you want it.:D

SirCrumpet

His G4 speech was better.

"And there it is ladies and gentlemen, the new imac"

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FYRY-PCKdDg&

Mac21ND
Aug 7, 2007, 10:54 AM
I've never bought a new product the day of release before, so can someone tell me what to expect?

I'm so excited to buy a new iMac, but I'm not sure what time I should go to the apple store?

Should I stay at home and read the live coverage, or do you think these are gong to be flying off the shelves? I can easily go wait at the apple store. How soon after they are announced are they available in the stores?

Can the stores do BTO right then and there?

Apple's been doing a pretty good job lately of making sure products are available when they're actually announced. The exception has been more professional products and/or those computers with really high-end configurations and price tags. Since we're in the middle of the back to school season here in the US, I really doubt Apple would announce a mainstream consumer product (like a new iMac) and not have it available for purchase immediately.

As for your Apple Store, they may or may not have them in stock immediately. It doesn't mean they won't in a few days, just that sometimes it's hard to ship thousands of new items to stores without at least one of them getting leaked to the press. Even still, Apple could have overnighted them to the Apple store for arrival this morning.

I think there's some pent up demand for new iMacs, so initially they might sell well - but I think you'll be ok. Worse case is I could see you having to wait perhaps a week before one's available. There's only so many people who are going to pay $1000 or more for something, so I don't think you'll be competing with the "I just feel like a new computer today" crowd. You'll certainly have a lot of geeks wanting to see one, but very few who are going to purchase one immediately due to the cost of buying a new computer.

There's only so many options the Apple Retail stores can do for BTO's. Hard drive and memory are the most common; although installing hard drives is relatively new I believe.

Have fun if you're getting something new - wish I had time (and money) to join you.

roger6106
Aug 7, 2007, 10:54 AM
Engadget just started there coverage, even though there's more than an hour to go.

Max.Power
Aug 7, 2007, 10:55 AM
The New iMac from $919
Save up to $100 (mail-in rebate).
Free Shipping & Printer. Ends Soon!
MacMall.com

Just got while typing iMac into google (was going to see the release date of the G3 one)

Follow the link...this is the (not much longer to be) current 17" model.

mongoos150
Aug 7, 2007, 10:55 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BHPtoTctDY+1 - Thanks for posting! Gotta love the line "This baby has a G3 at 233MHz. It flies!" Hehe :)

thomasfxlt
Aug 7, 2007, 10:56 AM
So, why did Macrumors get dissed on an invite to this event?

Slickgonzalez
Aug 7, 2007, 10:58 AM
Apple's been doing a pretty good job lately of making sure products are available when they're actually announced. The exception has been more professional products and/or those computers with really high-end configurations and price tags. Since we're in the middle of the back to school season here in the US, I really doubt Apple would announce a mainstream consumer product (like a new iMac) and not have it available for purchase immediately.

As for your Apple Store, they may or may not have them in stock immediately. It doesn't mean they won't in a few days, just that sometimes it's hard to ship thousands of new items to stores without at least one of them getting leaked to the press. Even still, Apple could have overnighted them to the Apple store for arrival this morning.

I think there's some pent up demand for new iMacs, so initially they might sell well - but I think you'll be ok. Worse case is I could see you having to wait perhaps a week before one's available. There's only so many people who are going to pay $1000 or more for something, so I don't think you'll be competing with the "I just feel like a new computer today" crowd. You'll certainly have a lot of geeks wanting to see one, but very few who are going to purchase one immediately due to the cost of buying a new computer.

There's only so many options the Apple Retail stores can do for BTO's. Hard drive and memory are the most common; although installing hard drives is relatively new I believe.

Have fun if you're getting something new - wish I had time (and money) to join you.

Thanks for the reply, I think I'm gonna go ahead and wait at the apple store. I'm so excited!!!

I'll buy the biggest and best iMac I can that fits in the 22 1/2" space I have on my desk.

SirCrumpet
Aug 7, 2007, 10:58 AM
Engadget just started there coverage, even though there's more than an hour to go.

Yeep... and they are a touch early.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/07/live-from-apples-summer-mac-product-press-conference/

kbrain2929
Aug 7, 2007, 11:00 AM
<1 HOUR!!!!!!!!!

Also... SlashGear and Engadget are now starting to post small updates. Nothing big @ this time. :apple:

Edit: Hmmm... little late on that... :)

Zwhaler
Aug 7, 2007, 11:01 AM
Shoot! At exactly 10am, I have to leave and go to a class until 5 pm! Oh well, I will find out when I get home :) :)

kbrain2929
Aug 7, 2007, 11:03 AM
Shoot! At exactly 10am, I have to leave and go to a class until 5 pm! Oh well, I will find out when I get home :) :)

Heck... I'd stay home! :D:apple:

listrophy
Aug 7, 2007, 11:03 AM
So where is the iPhone app (ie: Webkit designed) for following the live coverage? :)

SirCrumpet
Aug 7, 2007, 11:04 AM

mac rumors sms updates perhaps?

mongoos150
Aug 7, 2007, 11:05 AM
I am really glad I sold my 24" last night for $1500 :D

kbrain2929
Aug 7, 2007, 11:07 AM
Anyone else's heart starting to race? I think my iMac is starting to sweat! lol. I'm workin' it a bit too hard. lol. :apple:

MonkeyClaw
Aug 7, 2007, 11:08 AM

Wouldn't it just suck balls if Apple ended up NOT updating the iMac today :p

alansmallen
Aug 7, 2007, 11:09 AM
Hey guys! I'm doing a live video coverage of the announcements today. Check it out:
http://operator11.com/shows/3048/episodes/11961

It starts ten minutes before the actually announcement.

tdiep
Aug 7, 2007, 11:09 AM
I just went and checked the order status on my macbook and this is what I got..

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/2465/scr6e60d6mm4.th.png (http://img515.imageshack.us/my.php?image=scr6e60d6mm4.png)

newkeyboard
Aug 7, 2007, 11:10 AM
does engadgets coverage automatically update or do I need to keep refreshing the page?

DakotaGuy
Aug 7, 2007, 11:10 AM
Follow the link...this is the (not much longer to be) current 17" model.

I could see the current design 17" model hang around for education and a low price point, kind of like the eMac did and the 20" and 24" be all new ones.

Mysrt
Aug 7, 2007, 11:11 AM
Anyone else's heart starting to race? I think my iMac is starting to sweat! lol. I'm workin' it a bit too hard. lol. :apple:

your imac is starting to sweat because it is scared of its replacement. The old buzz lightyear effect

JGF0x
Aug 7, 2007, 11:11 AM
I doubt this would happen, but I would like to see an iMac with a full touch screen. Not so I could reach up and touch buttons on the screen but to lay it flat and use it as a tablet for doing graphics. That would be great.

The guy who mentioned the iMac G4 pull down screen with multitouch and your comment are exactly what I thought of after watching all of the iMac introductions on YouTube. It would make so much sense to merge the functionality of all previous iMacs with some kind of insane new desktop technology today. I wouldn't be surprised but I would be in awe if that did happen today. Do we know of any limits to the display size for the iPhone's multitouch?

Skystar
Aug 7, 2007, 11:12 AM
Whatever the new iMac is going to be, I will most likely buy the one with the biggest screen! I did the same for my iMac G5 when they were announced. :D

tomd89
Aug 7, 2007, 11:13 AM
Highly unlikely, as the whole industry is expecting new iMacs today. If it was just marginal updates today then it would no doubt affect their share price, hence why Apple said that there will be no iPod/Phone announcements today, as people would be expecting new iPods.

mongoos150
Aug 7, 2007, 11:14 AM
Hey guys! I'm doing a live video coverage of the announcements today. Check it out:
http://operator11.com/shows/3048/episodes/11961

It starts ten minutes before the actually announcement.Good show mate, hope the stream looks/sounds decent... and it doesn't get overloaded!

God^Cent
Aug 7, 2007, 11:14 AM
Personally, I'm extremely excited about apple finally releasing the irack and iran!:)

Mada
Aug 7, 2007, 11:15 AM
Typical I have to go off to the airport now. Thank god for the Nokia N95 and it's 3G!

JobsRules
I just can't take it anymore. I feel like Eric Cartman in that South Park episode where he's waiting for the Nintendo Wii.

Its feel almost like some dull ache, a nausea, a squirming feeling inside.

I know deep down it'll just be a brushed aluminium iMac with a new keyboard and a slightly faster processor (yawn) but I still can't contain myself. I have an evening class tonight but I just won't be able to go knowing I'm missing Jobs testifyin'.

aLoC
His G4 speech was better.

"And there it is ladies and gentlemen, the new imac"

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FYRY-PCKdDg&

I loved that design. It's just that monitors got a bit too big for that approach.

mongoos150
I still think a touchscreen would be a bad idea on a desktop. If it was purely a tablet device, I'd say different, but Apple's not releasing a tablet.

On another note, I sure do wish Apple would release a 30" iMac. I would just love that kind of screen real estate... Probably won't happen though.

automatic
Aug 7, 2007, 11:17 AM
Hong Kong Store down since a few minutes

Multimedia
Aug 7, 2007, 11:18 AM
Ready with surround browser windows with all 6 across 4 screens. :D

Slashgear is hosed already.

Gizmodo is MORE LIVE than the rest.

Also JustinTV Live (http://www.justin.tv/gizmodo/).

iPhone is making this easier to do than ever before.

JobsRules
For Job's sake, I can't take this. Can't ANYONE inside Apple just leak some pictures and genuine specs???????

I'm suffocating here....

HOW MANY MINUTES IS IT?????

roger6106
does engadgets coverage automatically update or do I need to keep refreshing the page?

You need to keep reloading the page.

aafuss1
Aug 7, 2007, 11:19 AM
Come on MAC MINI!!!!! I want a Mac Mini update so bad it hurts!!!! Well... ok, it doesn't hurt, but my media center with the old 350Mhz G3 is on its last leg and Im waiting for a new Mini (or whatever replaces it).

And no.. I don't believe in coincedence between the "maintenance" and the event. I'll bet my left nut that there is a major change to .Mac today. :D

I agree as a faithful/loyal mini owner-I'd love to see a new Mac mini revision.

snowmoon
Aug 7, 2007, 11:20 AM
.Mac is moving to a google backend and the rumored gDrive will really be an iDrive :cool:

aLoC
Aug 7, 2007, 11:22 AM
My ideal new iMac:
- 24" screen
- Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz
- 2G RAM
- Video that is 2x speed of current 7600GT
- 500G HD
- Blu-ray disk
- 6 USB ports
- Whisper quiet!

opeter
Aug 7, 2007, 11:23 AM
46 min and counting ;)

joshwest
Aug 7, 2007, 11:24 AM

haha i got 2400 for mine :P 2 months ago

wvtbred
Aug 7, 2007, 11:25 AM
My ideal new iMac:
- 24" screen
- Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz
- 2G RAM
- 500G HD
- Blu-ray disk
- 6 USB ports
- Whisper quiet!

SOLD!

aLoC
Aug 7, 2007, 11:26 AM
Hong Kong Store down since a few minutes

Australia store down too now. So there's *something* new (as if we didn't already know). US store still up.

zwida
For Job's sake, I can't take this. Can't ANYONE inside Apple just leak some pictures and genuine specs???????

I'm suffocating here....

HOW MANY MINUTES IS IT?????

I'm staring at the clock. It's not moving. This is excruciating.

Multimedia
Looks like we're going to get a live video feed from Justin (http://www.justin.tv/gizmodo/). He's working fine now. This is awesome.

Manic Mouse
My prediction:

20" iMac
2.2Ghz C2D
1Gb RAM (up to 4Gb)
Go8400 128Mb (upgradable to Go8600 256Mb)
250Gb HDD

24" iMac
2.4Ghz C2D
2Gb RAM (up to 4Gb)
Go8600 256Mb
500Gb HDD

Peace
Aug 7, 2007, 11:28 AM

Thanks for the link Multimedia!!

Multimedia
Aug 7, 2007, 11:28 AM
Go to this page to see and hear it live like TV!!! (http://www.justin.tv/gizmodo/)

zwida
Aug 7, 2007, 11:29 AM
Wouldn't it just suck balls if Apple ended up NOT updating the iMac today :p

[Nightmare/

New leather iPhone case.

/Nightmare]

opeter
Yeah i'm watching it to... the streaming is superb.
Right no there are 126 watchers :)

danielwsmithee
My ideal new iMac:
- 24" screen
- Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz
- 2G RAM
- 500G HD
- Blu-ray disk
- 6 USB ports
- Whisper quiet!Mine is this @$1799.

-24" Screen
- Core 2 Quad
- 2G RAM (Default), 8 GB Max (4 slots)
- 750 GB Hard Drive
- Second empty user replaceable Hard drive
- Blu-ray

Same thickness or a little thicker then current 24" model. Yeah I know not very likely. I'm fine sticking with Core 2 Duo to I just wish they could find a way to put 4 RAM slots on the 24"

mongoos150
Aug 7, 2007, 11:30 AM
Go to this page to see and hear it live like TV!!! (http://www.justin.tv/gizmodo/)Very cool - I bet it'll be down soon though. Video is already breaking up...

aLoC
Looks like we're going to get a live video feed from Justin (http://www.justin.tv/gizmodo/). He's working fine now. This is awesome.

Haha, great! The guard is hassling him about it.

CJD2112
New cinema displays! It's been years since an actual update, and they are long overdue, especially for us Mac Pro users. :(

kitki83
Its a Mac Brain Implant chip, so Mac os X is always within us!!!!!

Ok aside from that, I feel this year has more Apple events than last year. Is there a push to go mainstream?

Cole Slaw
My prediction:

20" iMac
2.2Ghz C2D
1Gb RAM (up to 4Gb)
Go8400 128Mb (upgradable to Go8600 256Mb)
250Gb HDD

24" iMac
2.4Ghz C2D
2Gb RAM (up to 4Gb)
Go8600 256Mb
500Gb HDD

So Manic Mouse, you figure they'll offer a bigger iMac model as well?
Some rumours have it that they'll be offering 28 or 30 inch models.

simontarr
I haven't got the money for new hardware so I'm just hoping that Command & Conquer 3 gets released! :p

SirCrumpet
Aug 7, 2007, 11:31 AM
Go to this page to see and hear it live like TV!!! (http://www.justin.tv/gizmodo/)

They stop the feed once the event starts.

mongoos150
Back in a minute boys, gotta grab my bagel & OJ from the union before the conference starts :D

tmoney468
Keep in mind that DDR2 prices are extremely low right now, so I don't see why all of them wouldn't have 2GB standard, with the possible exception of the $1199 one

mongoos150
Aug 7, 2007, 11:32 AM
They stop the feed once the event starts.What?! That wouldn't make much sense...

aLoC
- Core 2 Quad

Ooohh, I forgot about that. A quad option would be great, as long as it doesn't compromise the quietness. And I would settle for expandability to 4GB. The current model's 3GB limit is a bit low.

koobcamuk

You take hardcore to a new level.

johnee
Aug 7, 2007, 11:35 AM
What?! That wouldn't make much sense...

sure it does, apple won't allow any video at the event. If they try to sneak a camera in, it will probably be so dark that you wouldn't be able to see anything.

SirCrumpet
Aug 7, 2007, 11:35 AM
What?! That wouldn't make much sense...

Apples rules :(

Manic Mouse
Aug 7, 2007, 11:36 AM
So Manic Mouse, you figure they'll offer a bigger iMac model as well?
Some rumours have it that they'll be offering 28 or 30 inch models.

They could do, but for the existing models I'd say those spec updates are fairly safe. I'm on a MacBook, so those screen sizes sound monstrous to me! :p

plumbingandtech
Aug 7, 2007, 11:37 AM
23 mins.

Cole Slaw
Aug 7, 2007, 11:39 AM
They could do, but for the existing models I'd say those spec updates are fairly safe. I'm on a MacBook, so those screen sizes sound monstrous to me! :p

I'm on a Macbook, too. It would be great if the new iMac had user changeable hard drives like the Macbook. Or even room for 2 hard drives (that's maybe asking too much).
But, I guess we'll see what's up soon.

Multimedia
sure it does, apple won't allow any video at the event. If they try to sneak a camera in, it will probably be so dark that you wouldn't be able to see anything.They allow broadcast network stringers and local affiliates in. The stage is well lit.

SirCrumpet
and the video feed is down and out...

twoodcc
Aug 7, 2007, 11:40 AM
thanks for the links. getting close now! please give me some iApps and .mac

rockos
Aug 7, 2007, 11:41 AM
apple store in australia is down...

kbrain2929
Aug 7, 2007, 11:41 AM
Possible video feed... http://operator11.com/shows/3048/episodes/11961

teleromeo
Aug 7, 2007, 11:42 AM
over here an Apple reseller took the iMac out of the window display.

mongoos150
Aug 7, 2007, 11:44 AM
sure it does, apple won't allow any video at the event. If they try to sneak a camera in, it will probably be so dark that you wouldn't be able to see anything.The stage is lit. I know Apple doesn't allow cameras in. It's still a shame.

rockos
Aug 7, 2007, 11:44 AM
apple store in japan now down as well!!!!!

chriswheat
Aug 7, 2007, 11:45 AM
And the US store goes down.

mongoos150
US Apple Store down ;)

Cole Slaw
Apple store in Canada down.

aswitcher
over here an Apple reseller took the iMac out of the window display.

Well let us know what they replace it with.

aLoC
If Apple was serious about infomation leakage from the event they could put cellphone jammers in the auditorium. Some cinemas use these now.

applemax
Aug 7, 2007, 11:46 AM
Guys - just checked the UK store before it shut down. I don't have a screengrab but I swear to you, the iMac page was completely empty apart from the headline 'Choose your all-new iMac'

mongoos150
Aug 7, 2007, 11:47 AM
If Apple was serious about infomation leakage from the event they could put cellphone jammers in the auditorium. Some cinemas use these now.First of all, they're illegal in the US. People still have to be able to call 911. Secondly, I do believe Apple is aware of the blogging that goes on. I'm sure they are fine with it - it just builds more awareness, suspense and hype for them.

Offe
Aug 7, 2007, 11:47 AM
Apple store sweden is also down.

The Scotsman
Aug 7, 2007, 11:48 AM
oh yeh, just in from work. My vista laptop is looking at me like it knows our days together are numbered.

JohnnyQuest
I LOVE these events. I'm going to piss my pants. No joke.

tomd89
UK store down aswell, more than .mac coming then!

snowmoon
If Apple was serious about infomation leakage from the event they could put cellphone jammers in the auditorium. Some cinemas use these now.

At least in the US they would be quite illegal. It's one thing to have a structure that blocks RF, it's another to actively jam the signal.

severe

Leek? :confused:

It's a "Media Event".

:D

If they were serious about "leakage", well... hmmm.

This is a company announcing new product... everyone...shhh. ???

leviut
Apple will be announcing the iRide today!!! iRide features 'hover technology'. It will revolutionize the automobile!!!

MTV has teamed up with Apple to prevent a television series called 'Pimp My iRide' to begin airing in September. :p

danny_w
First of all, they're illegal in the US. People still have to be able to call 911. Secondly, I do believe Apple is aware of the blogging that goes on. I'm sure they are fine with it - it just builds more awareness, suspense and hype for them.
Then why are movie theaters putting them in?

Peace
Aug 7, 2007, 11:49 AM
UK store down aswell, more than .mac coming then!

Really? what was your first clue ? :rolleyes:

This is a Mac only event.

ethen
We (slashgear) had to move our webcast due to traffic to

http://www.slashphone.com/live/index.php

and yes, we are really there :) http://www.slashgear.com/vincent-is-at-the-show-and-ready-are-you-076634.php

God^Cent
They let the press in only to do some more waiting inside...

The Scotsman
Guys - just checked the UK store before it shut down. I don't have a screengrab but I swear to you, the iMac page was completely empty apart from the headline 'Choose your all-new iMac'

i saw it also. took ages to load up like it was not in my cache and when it did load there was no option to buy. It just showed one imac and you could change its size.

amac4me
Aug 7, 2007, 11:50 AM
Only a few minutes from the start of the keynote. I'm looking forward to a new iMac and the release of new versions of iLife. Oh yeah, a .Mac upgrade would be nice too. :)

kbrain2929
Aug 7, 2007, 11:50 AM
I think it's almost PARTY TIME!!! :apple:

teleromeo
Aug 7, 2007, 11:51 AM
Well let us know what they replace it with.

well I guess you'll know faster here than when I get spying around over there. It's almost 7 pm over here and the shop was closed for a couple of minutes when I passed by. Maybe they put something new in there but this will only be by tomorrow morning which is 13 hours from now.

jonharris200
Aug 7, 2007, 11:51 AM
Here we go, girls and boys! :)

inkswamp
Aug 7, 2007, 11:52 AM
Like, Steve Jobs on the left half of the screen and a live car chase from San Diego on the right? That way they get both the geeks and freaks tuning in simultaneously.

TV coverage would be fine as long as Fox News doesn't get involved.

"Next up on Hannity and Colmes: was the Stevenote today biased against President Bush? And if so, should Apple and its employees be in prison for aiding and abetting TERRORISTS? Six experts from a conservative think-tank and I agree, but my pinko, hippie-lovin', dope-smoking, godless cohost begs to differ."

aLoC
Aug 7, 2007, 11:52 AM
Not long to go now... Steve must be checking his look in the mirror and going over his notes one last time :)

cooknwitha
Aug 7, 2007, 11:53 AM
Just thought I'd throw my hat into the ring too! :) I'm hoping for a Macbook update but surely it's the iMac. It's been so long!!