Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rob Hicks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2007
Bristol, UK
Funny one this, on amazon uk you can pre order all of the current Logic varieties (pro, express etc) as they state it will be released on August 20th. Amazon have long sold, or been linked to sellers pushing this software but have only now created this pre-order situation. I'd gamble on a new release. The fact that Express is also listed as a pre order might point to continued use of the entry level DAW (excluding garageband obviously). Fingers crossed to see something tonight (Tuesday).

Rob

Rob Hicks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2007
Bristol, UK
yeah, I have been thinking for some time that if Apple released an iMac with a touchscreen, what better app would there be to demonstrate it. I know the touchscreen might be a long shot, but it sounds like it's on it's way soon.

Plumbstone

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2007
Bring it on

About time too. The current version of Logic Pro is so buggy it can be infuriating. Sure it is pretty stable but there are a bunch of features which simply don't work at all.

I only hope it will be compatible with the majority of plug-ins around at the moment or we'll have to wait around for the other developers to catch up.

(btw just had a look on Amazon and can't see the pre-order option anywhere)

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
Why would amazon.co.uk get info of a new version ahead of any other kind of announcement to anyone else? I think a new version of Logic can't be too far away, but I'm not convinced this is it.

Rob Hicks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2007
Bristol, UK
It's a good point, one I thought about too. So I wrote to amazon UK and gave them the line about not wanting to waste £600 or so. They wrote back advising me they had no further information to add and I would need to speak to Apple directly (who I'm sure would tell me anything I wanted to know ;) )

I'm not suggesting anything will actually happen, I'm hoping more than anything. I have also noticed that a couple of the music tech online retailers have started stating medium term out of stock notices on Logic.

Roll on 20th August I guess

AviationFan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Why would amazon.co.uk get info of a new version ahead of any other kind of announcement to anyone else?
It makes sense to assume that all distributors get some advance notice of new product releases, if only so they can prepare their warehouses and other logistical things. amazon.co.uk may just have been the one that did a relatively poor job of using this information to update their system, poor in the sense that it supports public speculation about a new product release.

Oh well, we'll know in 11 days...

- Martin

JobsRules

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2006
Logic 8 has been a long time coming but I'm pretty sure it'll blow people away. Ignoring the generous collection of fine plug-ins, the underlying feature set of Logic 7's looking a bit shabby and dated compared to cheaper alternatives like DP and Cubase. I notice Cubase has an agressive crossgrade deal for Logic users right now.

Plus, as an old Cubase user there's something about Logic as a working environment that just seems slightly laboured but I can't quite articulate. I mean, I 'm a big fan of the program, I just think it could be better, espeically with it's hefty price tag. It's not a hard program to learn, but even with experience it never feels quite as at your fingertips as it should. I think Apple will want a more in-your-face obvious user interface for the new Logic, while making it pleasing for existing users.

k2k koos

macrumors 6502a
Amazon had similar situations before with a book about logic, describing a new version, but turned out to be just a re-print of the current version.
I can't quite remember the details, but this sounded so familiar. What if Logic just is a little low on stock, and Apple is currently just printing new DVD's en boxes for the next batch of Logic Pro 7 boxes to be distributed....

If it is indeed Logic 8, then that would be great news for the music community, an updated interface, some old quirks and bugs removed, but I hope that they will do it such, that all the current plug ins remain working, and not having to upgrade every single one yet again, that is the part I hate the most... heck there are still older plug ins that I use , for which I resort to logic 6 pro when I want to use them....

Anyway, Apple does still concentrate a little on music, as Garageband was updated as part of the new iLife 08, so I hope that the team working on that, was given enough time to develop new stuff for Logic, and I hope that some of the great new features found in the latest version of Soundtrack, will make it into Logic too.

:apple:

Human Onion

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2007
Has anyone noticed what it says when you try and open a new garageband song in logic....

Update must be just around the corner IMO

Human Onion

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2007
What does it say?

new_logic.png

scottlinux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
I don't think it will be a small update because Logic will need to take on garagebands new audio features for them to be compatible.

:) Logic has had every feature of this new Garageband for years now. Almost like saying Final Cut Pro needs to take on new features from iMovie.
It's a matter of file format compatibility.

scottlinux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
LOL do you even use the program :rolleyes:

Welcome to macrumors forums, seeing this is one of your first posts. Out to make friends very fast, I see.

Yes, I am a full time commercial music composer as my day job. Are suggesting that the new Garageband has features that Logic does not currently have?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.