Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrishch

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2007
I have a Core2Duo 2.0GHz (Black) Macbook that was purchased in February, 2007.

I have had problems with it crashing, since the installation of Parallels 3.0 (build 4560), and Firefox 2.0.0.6. Even iMovie was crashing when I was trying to import a movie from a DV camera. Since I had some free time, I decided to wipe and re-install OS X.

However, during installation, there were problems reading the disc. It was fine when it was testing the DVD. But during file copying, at some point, it just sat there, with a message that says something like "Try again later". It failed at different points. The first time, it failed while installing Japanese, the second time, Traditional Chinese, and the third time, much earlier, when it was installing the BSD files.

This is already a replacement DVD for OS X that I received back in March, as I discovered early on that my original OS X Disc 1 was defective.

So, then, after failing three times, and had a kernel panic about some missing ACPI drivers, I was completely freaking out.

I then managed to hookup an external DVD drive with a USB to IDE/SATA connector and re-installed OS X. Everything was fine. I was back up and running. However, when I tried to read DVDs, even factory pressed ones, like movies, there were no problems.

I am unsure now what to do, or how to prove to Apple that there are problems with the drive. I did notice a few weeks ago that it had problems burning single-layered DVD+R. It will burn fine with the software with no error messages, but after burning, when the disc is up to a certain point, it would fail.

Does anyone have any suggestions, or are there some other tests that I can run?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.