PDA

View Full Version : china increasing # of missiles pointed at taiwan?

zimv20
Jul 31, 2003, 12:24 PM
link (http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/library/news/china/2003/china-030710-voa02.htm)

Pentagon: China Allegedly Deploying More Missiles Opposite Taiwan
VOA News
10 Jul 2003, 20:25 UTC
The U.S. Defense Department is preparing to release a report alleging that China has vastly increased the number of short-range ballistic missiles deployed opposite Taiwan.

Pentagon sources, who asked not to be identified, tell VOA the report will be released to Congress shortly. They say the document indicates Beijing now has 450 short-range missiles opposite Taiwan, 100 more than the number cited in last year's Pentagon report on China.

The sources also say the new document predicts that China will add 75 new ballistic missiles to its short-range arsenal every year.

Pentagon officials have said China's moves to upgrade its military are at odds with Beijing's stated goal of achieving reunification with Taiwan peacefully. In other developments, China and South Korea issued a joint statement Thursday saying there is only one China in the world, and Taiwan is an "inalienable" part of China's territory. South Korea says the Chinese government represents the only legitimate government of China, adding that Seoul will continue to adhere to the "one China" position.

South Korean President Roh Moo-hyun returned home from China Thursday after four days of talks focusing primarily on North Korea's nuclear program.

The United States has no diplomatic relations with Taiwan, but Washington has sold weapons and military equipment to the island republic. President Bush says his administration is committed to helping Taiwan defend itself against a military attack by China.

oomega1
Jul 31, 2003, 01:10 PM
no one cares =/

macfan
Jul 31, 2003, 03:06 PM
I just love the one China policy. It's a wonderful piece of fiction. Now, if we can just hold on to it long enough for the mainland Chinese government to reform itself, it will have been a successful fiction.

Backtothemac
Jul 31, 2003, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by oomega1
no one cares =/

Actually, I think plenty of people care. I know that I do. One China is a bull policy, as Taiwan is free.

zimv20
Jul 31, 2003, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Backtothemac
Actually, I think plenty of people care. I know that I do. One China is a bull policy, as Taiwan is free.

the past few presidents, imo, have treaded pretty carefully when talking to china about taiwan (even when weapons were being sold to taiwan).

i think the US in the middle of that argument is a disaster waiting to happen, and frankly i don't know what the best thing to do is. possibly just sit it out.

whatcha think?

cc bcc
Jul 31, 2003, 06:18 PM
Reunification cannot happen by force AND last for a long time.
If Taiwan want to reunite with China, fine, but if not (which is the case now) I think diplomatic/economic pressure on China can be enough.
Though the economic consequenses of that may be very high for the world economy.. So be it?

Macmaniac
Jul 31, 2003, 06:44 PM
Well we Apple folks should care since alot of Apple parts and other stuff is made in Taiwan.

IJ Reilly
Jul 31, 2003, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Backtothemac

"One China" is also the official position of the Taiwanese government, so it might be best to not oversimplify matters.

oomega1
Jul 31, 2003, 07:01 PM
People care to some extent. But the issue is its proven to be a part of china in some way. I mean i'm taiwanese but its not such a big deal, i'm happy if china wants taiwan back they'd have to work something out big time. Taiwanese people hardly speak taiwanese and all speak chinese only. i'm sure threats will never go through but economic pressure also means economic pressure on taiwan. I believe Taiwan hides behind US too much and is too confident on that fact that we (americans) will have to do something for them/ their mistakes. Taunting people to start a war isn't great. It will never happen anyways end of story. Taiwan is estimated to become a part of china anyways. Unless Taiwanese people want to marry each other. In such a small island if they do , its just sick. It'd stop becoming a big issue, as it is becoming over the next few years.

Backtothemac
Jul 31, 2003, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by IJ Reilly
"One China" is also the official position of the Taiwanese government, so it might be best to not oversimplify matters.

Yea, one China without Taiwan.

;)

pseudobrit
Aug 1, 2003, 12:14 AM
I would hope that a free Hong Kong and Taiwan being absorbed into China would be the wedge that cracked the communist system open, much like Perestroyka did with the Soviet Union.

You can only silence so many people for so long once they've had a taste of freedom.

IJ Reilly
Aug 1, 2003, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by pseudobrit
I would hope that a free Hong Kong and Taiwan being absorbed into China would be the wedge that cracked the communist system open, much like Perestroyka did with the Soviet Union.

You can only silence so many people for so long once they've had a taste of freedom.

Ah, but how much freedom, and of what kind? I personally see China entering into a dangerous, new phase. Under Marxism, the Chinese economy would remain hobbled and the nation relatively weak, for its size. What they are moving towards is a open-market but politically totalitarian state. This looks a lot like fascism to me -- and the world's experience with fascism isn't very positive, to say the least. I think we're going to find China becoming an increasingly tough customer -- over a billion people demanding their share. They've also got some historical grudges against the West working as a subtext.

zimv20
Aug 1, 2003, 01:39 PM
i believe china could be the next superpower and friendly relations w/ them is a good idea for the US.

IJ Reilly
Aug 1, 2003, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by zimv20
i believe china could be the next superpower and friendly relations w/ them is a good idea for the US.

I think they almost certainly will become the world's next superpower, and that's what has me worried. It may become increasingly difficult for the US to maintain friendly relations with China as they begin to flex their new economic, political and military powers over the next 10-20 years. The US may well find them becoming a much more vocal opponent of US foreign policy, especially if that foreign policy carries with it imperialistic overtones. My impression is that the Chinese tend to be fairly pragmatic and I would not expect them to pick fights with the US over strictly ideological issues, but their cultural memory is long, and imperialism is a hot-button issue. They've been on the short end of that stick historically and I would guess are not inclined to forget it.

pseudobrit
Aug 1, 2003, 05:49 PM
Don't forget about India, also over 1 billion strong.

There will be a delicate balancing act as the world power shifts to the east. I hope the US can deal with losing its superpower status better than "old Europe" did.

cc bcc
Aug 2, 2003, 04:32 AM
Originally posted by oomega1
Unless Taiwanese people want to marry each other. In such a small island if they do , its just sick.

With a population of 22 million? What's sick?