PDA

View Full Version : A Student Switcher . . .


dbally
Jul 31, 2003, 08:45 PM
I am now 3 days away (assuming FedEx comes through) from being a switcher :D

I've read numerous pbook vs. ibook threads and decided an ibook would suit my needs just fine . . . I hope it'll at least last the two years it should take for me to get my masters degree. I'm not too worried about that though.

One of the reasons why I became interested in Macs is because a friend of mine has an old blue and white g3 400 that he's used for around 5 years now. It still works rather well. 5 years at that speed (including ram and harddrive upgrades) is amazing to me. In that time I've gone through 3 iterations of PCs . . . all of which I built myself so I'm (unfortunately) intimately familiar with wintel boxes.

Having worked so much with Windows and PC hardware is another reason I want to bail. I've had many of the same frustrations that many others in these messages boards have had, and I'm ready for a change.

Also, I believe there is a certain level of sophistication that Macs have that PCs don't. This has been reenforced by boards like this where people seem friendly and eager to help. this is greatly appreciated. Im just anxious to leave the darkside behind :)

question fear
Jul 31, 2003, 09:04 PM
congrats! did you get the 14 or 12 ibook?
you wont be disappointed, macs are fantastic.
glad to hear you've switched!
(am switching my roommate this weekend....soon her dell will be a nightmare of the past)
--carly

dbally
Jul 31, 2003, 09:16 PM
Thank you . . .

Its a 900mhz 12" ibook . . . the size should make carrying it around campus pretty painless. Don't think I've ever been this anxious to start writing papers :p

Horrortaxi
Jul 31, 2003, 10:09 PM
I have the 12" iBook as well (700mhz). I take it to work and school plus I carry it around the house all the time--that thing is the very definition of portable! It's probably smaller and lighter than most of your schoolbooks. You will like this computer.

mwpeters8182
Jul 31, 2003, 10:24 PM
Congrats --

I too just picked up an iBook -- the 800 w/ CDROM -- I wanted the 900, but since I wasn't planning on getting a new computer (my PC laptop died, go figure) that's all I could afford. Oh well, I have a firewire burner that does a great job.

You'll be happy with your iBook -- not the greatest gaming machine, but is any laptop less than $2000? It's a great everyday machine that will suit your needs as a student. I can't wait to bring it to school this semester.

MP

dbally
Jul 31, 2003, 10:38 PM
Yeah, thats what I figured. Games are the least of my worries . . . thats what the xbox is for. The library on campus has a built in wifi network, so I'm looking forward to using that again (I had a wondeful Toshiba laptop last year that I had to sell for the $ . . . ramen noodles were getting old :p )

mwpeters8182
Aug 1, 2003, 04:56 AM
Good to hear -- good luck with the iBook, i'm sure you'll love it.

MP

iShater
Aug 1, 2003, 05:01 PM
You will love it! I can't wait until I start my masters thesis in January, I was waiting for the iBook to do that, now I have no other excuses to pospone it! :D

alphaq619
Aug 8, 2003, 05:02 AM
congrats. you'll love surfing wirelessly, with style, no less. i just graduated and ive only had my 12" pb for 4 months. i kinda wish i was still in school. hah.

killershroom
Aug 21, 2003, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by mwpeters8182

You'll be happy with your iBook -- not the greatest gaming machine, but is any laptop less than $2000?


Yes, there are many better laptops out there for less than $2,000 :rolleyes: Open your eyes and look away from mac, lol.

tazo
Aug 21, 2003, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by killershroom
Yes, there are many better laptops out there for less than $2,000 :rolleyes: Open your eyes and look away from mac, lol.

Umm if you dislike macs why are you here? In every post I have seen of yours you are insulting macs; whats up with that?

QCassidy352
Aug 21, 2003, 03:07 PM
seriously shroom, don't be a troll.

dbally, I've had 2 ibooks and loved them both; you'll be very happy! congrats on the switch

patrick0brien
Aug 21, 2003, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by killershroom
Yes, there are many better laptops out there for less than $2,000 :rolleyes: Open your eyes and look away from mac, lol.

-dbally

I love these guys. So innured.

He is correct though, you can get the 12PB for less than $2000 - mush less. But then, that's not the point.

I could get a cheapy Dell tomorrow, and where will it be next year? after at least one total reload of XP and how many other patches and service updates later - it probably will still be working just fine, but what a pain.

The primary reason why I own a Mac - more than all the others I have, is that when I want to get 5 minutes of work out of my Mac, it takes 5 minutes. Wherease on my PC's it takes at least double that with all the hand-holding. That statistic is averaged of course, there have been times that I've performed 5 minutes of work on 5 minutes of use on the PC's, but there have been times when I've spent hours maintaining it. And that's a sub-disadvantage to a Windows machine - you never know when you'll need to spend the time to maintain it.

Wes
Aug 21, 2003, 05:07 PM
Hmm his status is guest, maybe he got some:
http://images.lamer.net/ban.gif

Gr00gyman
Aug 30, 2003, 11:32 AM
Hey, Dell's aren't cheapy computers, I know many people who own them and are still working fine today.

Mav451
Aug 30, 2003, 12:28 PM
I gotta agree with Groogy here.

Mac heads always stereotype PCs in general, and XP as requiring an annual reload. Well i've seen some REALLY computer illiterate people, they have been running some old dells (2.4's 533 fsb) for a year and a half now, and have had no problems.

I ran Win98se with no bsods for 3.5 years. It is a highly ignorant blanket statement to stereotype XP as requiring an "annual reload" when my 98system lasted longer than even most people's Emac. How did i do it? With Socket A, i moved from the old thunderbird technology, to the 266fsb athlon Xp technology, for a small cost of 50 bucks. 50 bucks. New video card? 8500. 80 bucks. For 130 bucks i went from not being able to play quakeiii, ut2k3, counter-strike, to being able to max out the fps in ALL of them.

It is ridiculous how people create blanket statements for problems that they have had A SINGLE TIME. "Dell is unreliable".

50-60% of the time it's user error. The rest is poor hardware, faulty PSU, bad ram with errors, poor circulation (problem with old, old beige boxes, aka not even using dual ball-bearing fans).

That 50-60% user error includes "utilitiy" installations, stupid weatherbug/kazaa installations (when kazaa lite is rite in front of you :) ), or bad drivers--and XP gives you driver rollback, something 98 could only dream of doing.

My XP hasn't BSODed a single time when stabley clocked (if you look at my sig, i'm already overclocking 24% over my original cpu speed; from 1733 to 2153 with default voltage) . People complain about windows 2k at work. Where i work, i haven't seen a single one crash, where Mac heads typically stereotype it as "i get less productivity, blah blah blah". I'm talking about, grownups/adults who don't give a DAMN about hardware, and only concentrate on gettings their meetings down, making it to seminars, writing emails, powerpoint presentations, etc.

Not necessarily. I was doing a small pediactrics database report on NDA's for the FDA. Guess what? I was using 98 machines. Not a single BSOD. And i was on a compaq.

patrick0brien
Sep 2, 2003, 09:20 AM
-Gr00gyman, Mav451

Sorry. You're right. It was a blanket statement and I stand corrected.

But I do still stand by my statement of preferring Macs due to them not needing handholding. Speaking of which, as the "Family IT Guy", I am going to have to assist my father in reloading XP - the damn thing is so haystacked it's making like it is a PII 266 and not a 1.8 P4. Let me tell you how much I looking forward to that!

themadchemist
Sep 3, 2003, 09:01 PM
While problems with Microsoft operating systems, esp. pre-XP, aren't universal, they are widespread...

After all, such stereotypes as these, that are part and parcel not simply to the Mac world but to the PC world as well ("after all, EVERYone KNOWS you have to reinstall win98se every 6 months") must have some grounding...

You'll find thousands of people who have had significant problems with Windows...Not just people who are computer illiterate...

And for the person who mentioned his friend who had run his notebook for "a long time," a whole year-and-a-half:

I've got TWO performas in perfect working condition (one has a somewhat funky monitor, but the systems themselves, hard drives, CPUs, etc. are perfect). I've got a Mac SE that I have stored which I could pull out of the box right now and use perfectly...This thing is about 13 years old and is in as-new condition.

On the other hand, my PC, which is about 3 years old, runs into Windows protection errors on a routine basis. There are days I have to cold boot 50 times (literally) to get to the Desktop. And I can't even get Windows to reinstall half the time because DOS looks for a file on the restore disc that doesn't exist; because Safe Mode doesn't have CD-access for me to start the reinstall process from Windows; and because the recovery program doesn't even work from within the Windows environment (no, I haven't looked for a work-around--there shouldn't have to be one).

There's never been a problem with my Mac--NEVER--that couldn't be fixed by a reformat. And that is only for serious problems. I have been so pampered by the Mac that I obstinately refused to reformat my hard disk for months, trying to get Apple to help me work around the problem. Reformating was the last-ditch, horrible option, whereas with PCs, I count my lucky stars if it lets me reformat without a hitch. Oh, and reformating on a Mac is fast and painless.

This is only one problem, of course. But others have the same problems: There are countless anecdotes as to problems with Windows. Some are the same as mine, others are different. There are hundreds, thousands, and behind each person who hasn't had these problems (and most who HAVE) is a gigantic trail of security updates and patches that boggles the mind.

AdamR01
Sep 4, 2003, 07:52 PM
Well I just recently switched to an 800MHz iBook and I have to say that there are benefits to Mac and Windows. I have to agree that a majority of Windows problems are due to user error. Windows 98 wasnt the most stable, but it didnt blue screen that often if you knew what you were doing. I had XP blue screen on me once and it was my fault (what can you expect with Kazaa Lite, a hacked program). The Mac, I feel, has a better user interface than Windows. The locations of things make more sense. But I cant deny that my PIII is faster. My iBook gets 70fps in Quake 1 and my PIII and Geforce4MX gets like 300 (my Kyro Card got 1000 once due to its hidden surface removal, but maybe that was just a fluke). I really enjoy the fact that the Mac also has really nice software such as iMovie. Windows Movie Maker is a Joke. People just need to realize that computers are a tool that is used to suit their needs and everyone has different needs.

iPC
Sep 9, 2003, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by themadchemist
While problems with Microsoft operating systems, esp. pre-XP, aren't universal, they are widespread...

After all, such stereotypes as these, that are part and parcel not simply to the Mac world but to the PC world as well ("after all, EVERYone KNOWS you have to reinstall win98se every 6 months") must have some grounding...

You'll find thousands of people who have had significant problems with Windows...Not just people who are computer illiterate...

And for the person who mentioned his friend who had run his notebook for "a long time," a whole year-and-a-half:

I've got TWO performas in perfect working condition (one has a somewhat funky monitor, but the systems themselves, hard drives, CPUs, etc. are perfect). I've got a Mac SE that I have stored which I could pull out of the box right now and use perfectly...This thing is about 13 years old and is in as-new condition.

On the other hand, my PC, which is about 3 years old, runs into Windows protection errors on a routine basis. There are days I have to cold boot 50 times (literally) to get to the Desktop. And I can't even get Windows to reinstall half the time because DOS looks for a file on the restore disc that doesn't exist; because Safe Mode doesn't have CD-access for me to start the reinstall process from Windows; and because the recovery program doesn't even work from within the Windows environment (no, I haven't looked for a work-around--there shouldn't have to be one).

There's never been a problem with my Mac--NEVER--that couldn't be fixed by a reformat. And that is only for serious problems. I have been so pampered by the Mac that I obstinately refused to reformat my hard disk for months, trying to get Apple to help me work around the problem. Reformating was the last-ditch, horrible option, whereas with PCs, I count my lucky stars if it lets me reformat without a hitch. Oh, and reformating on a Mac is fast and painless.

This is only one problem, of course. But others have the same problems: There are countless anecdotes as to problems with Windows. Some are the same as mine, others are different. There are hundreds, thousands, and behind each person who hasn't had these problems (and most who HAVE) is a gigantic trail of security updates and patches that boggles the mind.
blah blah blah

My office is full of Pentium 2 machines, most at 400MHz that run just fine. Win98SE with Office 2000, a custom app for the business, and other various daily needs. On average we get 2 or 3 BSOD's per day (14 computers in the office). Most days none, some days 10. Recently we upgraded everyone to a 17" monitor. That has been it, since those P2 systems were bought new (4 years ago?).

I also own a P3 500MHz laptop (built in 1999) that still runs (linux) fine. The only problem is battery related (battery dead, and the charging circuit just failed a week ago). Speed is not a problem. Stability is not a problem. Being tied to the wall (can't run off of battery now) _is_ a problem. This will probably be replaced by the next gen 12" PowerBook, but that is becuase of my fondness for OS X.

In general, computers are reliable. Some more than others. This is true whether you are talking brands (Dell or IBM or HP or Apple, whatever), models, or even individual units from the same production run.

On average, a Mac might be better. But it does not really matter. A computer is a tool, not a lifestyle.