Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lanervoza

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2007
I took a film class several years ago in High School and enjoyed it much, but then my interest shifted heavily to music and photography, since I didn't have a camera of my own. I've now decided that I want to get back into video and would like to start experimenting again. I know nothing about the current market, but have been reading these forums in general lately and thought this might be a good place to ask.

Let's give a budget of around $1000 for the camera.

Thanks in advance,
Alex

superman666

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
I have the Canon HV10, and it is really great. Purchase the HV20 because it has a mic input port which is very handy. That's the only downfall of the HV10. You can film in HD, and in standard its really great quality. (people in my film class thought it looked more like HD when I filmed in standard lol)

deux-ex-mak

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2007
manual

I don't know these specific models mentioned but, risking to be redundant, the best advice I can give is make sure you will have the option of working in fully manual mode. (Manual focus, exposure, shutter speed and white balance)

There's nothing worse in the film world than the "autofocus" button !

Working in manual is how it is done. You may find it hard at the beginning, and/or decide in the future that you rather want to be a director or editor instead of a cameraman, in any case it won't harm you to learn or practice camera work basics.

Any camera recording in HDV -we're not talking about true HD here, will also record SD, so don't buy an SD camera prized the same as an HDV, obviously.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.