PDA

View Full Version : Rumor Wrapup: iMac, Keyboard, iWork, iLife. iPod Details?

MacRumors
Aug 8, 2007, 01:11 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

With yesterday's product releases, we've seen the conclusion to several long running rumors.

iMac
We first heard of new iMac designs back in March (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/03/20/next-apple-imacs-with-striking-new-industrial-design/) of this year with Appleinsider claiming that iMacs would see "striking new industrial designs".

Meanwhile, we heard of possible "brushed aluminum" iMacs in June with initial predictions by ThinkSecret and 9to5mac at a WWDC release. iMacs, of course, were not released at WWDC, but ThinkSecret (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/07/17/imac-revision-and-ilife-on-august-7th/) later pinpointed August 7th as the likely release date for the iMacs. 9to5mac echoed this report along with a "razor thin" keyboard with "media controlling functionality".

Appleinsider first (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/07/09/new-apple-keyboard-coming-with-imac-refresh/) described what was to be a new "super slim" external keyboard based on their laptop keyboards. In what was the biggest leak in recent history, actual images of the iMac keyboard (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/07/27/new-imac-keyboard-revealed/) were leaked onto a Chinese forum in late July. Discussion of the keyboard generated the usual debate (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=334498). Most significantly, however, this represents the first time Apple has let leaked images stand (http://normalkid.com/2007/08/08/keyboard-real-ipod-ui/) without any efforts to surpress their distribution.

iLife '08 / iWork '08

Very few reliable rumors about iLife/iWork were available prior to their release. Many had expected these updates at Macworld San Francisco in January.

First indication that Apple would skip the '07 designation altogether came from Apple themselves with an accidental (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/07/30/apple-iwork-08/) web description which revealed "Keynote '08".

Of note, Thinksecret's early spreadsheet screenshot (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/01/05/iwork-07-with-spreadsheet-screenshot/) does appear to be from a preliminary version Apple's spreadsheet application. Apparently, Apple has been planning "Numbers" for some time now. In June 2005 (http://www.macrumors.com/2005/06/16/apple-developing-numbers/), Apple applied for trademark protection for the "Numbers" name.

Finally, a last minute rumor (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/08/06/iwork-08-with-spreadsheet/) from 9to5mac did pinpoint iWork '08 with spreadsheet for an August 7th release.

Summary... iPods Soon?

Based on their circulating rumors, it appears clear that newcomer 9to5mac.com has access to legitimate sources of information on Apple's upcoming products. They were the first to describe the use of aluminum in the new iMacs and also provided some accurate descriptions of the keyboard. Their reports weren't perfect, as they also expected that the 17" iMac would remain, and a few other inconsistencies.

Most useful, however, is that their predictions for upcoming iPod revisions now have more credibility. Their most recent report (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/07/31/iphone-nano-details-and-full-touchscreen-ipod/) claimed that iPod nanos would use the shorter proportioned design as well as the leaked UI videos (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/07/21/6g-ipod-user-interface-redesign-and-videos/). More intriguing, they claimed that a full-screen touch iPod is coming at $299 and $399 price points. Though they initially expected an August 7th release for the iPods, they are now hinting (http://9to5mac.com/Poll-August-7-event-5220496) at a September release.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/08/08/rumor-wrapup-imac-keyboard-iwork-ilife-ipod-details/)

xUKHCx
Aug 8, 2007, 01:13 PM
September seems right, give enough time for the current iMac iLife, iWork stuff to die down and then build up the iPod excitement and enough time between that release and Leopards.

mr_matalino
Aug 8, 2007, 01:13 PM
Aluminum and glass ipods running OSX anyone?

FoxyKaye
Aug 8, 2007, 01:15 PM
So where does this leave the XServe? It has now been over a year since any revision in this lineup - I'd rather not purchase last year's "new" server for my organization.

monke
Aug 8, 2007, 01:15 PM
The iPods always seem to be updated in September, in time for Christmas season, but close enough to the end of the 'Back To School Promotion' that no one using that promotion can get a new iPod.

I can't wait for the new ones. :)

Object-X
Aug 8, 2007, 01:19 PM
Why does the wireless keyboard only come in the short stubby version? Why does this make sense?

arn
Aug 8, 2007, 01:19 PM
heh...

I guess the Spreadsheet screenshot is actually the first image that Apple has let stand. :)

Keyboard, now the second technically.

arn

jettredmont
Aug 8, 2007, 01:28 PM
Summary... iPods Soon?

Based on their circulating rumors, it appears clear that newcomer 9to5mac.com has access to legitimate sources of information on Apple's upcoming products. They were the first to describe the use of aluminum in the new iMacs and also provided some accurate descriptions of the keyboard. Their reports weren't perfect, as they also expected that the 17" iMac would remain, and a few other inconsistencies.

Most useful, however, is that their predictions for upcoming iPod revisions now have more credibility. Their most recent report (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/07/31/iphone-nano-details-and-full-touchscreen-ipod/) claimed that iPod nanos would use the shorter proportioned design as well as the leaked UI videos (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/07/21/6g-ipod-user-interface-redesign-and-videos/). More intriguing, they claimed that a full-screen touch iPod is coming at $299 and $399 price points. Though they initially expected an August 7th release for the iPods, they are now hinting (http://9to5mac.com/Poll-August-7-event-5220496) at a September release.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/08/08/rumor-wrapup-imac-keyboard-iwork-ilife-ipod-details/)

I'd be very careful trying to relate a success in Mac rumors to an iPod rumor. You realize of course that there are very different teams working on keyboards and iPods.

There is a chance that they are related, if their "source" is more in the ad design area or (egad!) the Ives section of Apple than the larger engineering area of Apple or even larger production area of Apple and its affiliates, so it is certainly possible that their Mac success reflects well on their iPod rumors ... but I wouldn't accept that as a given.

wacko42
Aug 8, 2007, 01:28 PM
Actually the 17 inch model (in the old white plastic) is still available in the Education store for $899.

TheAnswer
Aug 8, 2007, 01:30 PM
heh...

I guess the Spreadsheet screenshot is actually the first image that Apple has let stand. :)

Keyboard, now the second technically.

arn

Is this maybe a sign that they can changed their leak suppression strategies? Would they have any legal ground to suppress, for example, the iPod GUI video, if the GUI shown wasn't a product of Apple?

If so, we might see them attempt to suppress some false and some true rumors in the future and let others (both true and false) slide just to muddy the waters a little.

unconcious
Aug 8, 2007, 01:33 PM
I love the new iMacs and keyboad designs. Personally I like the wireless keboard for their short and compact look versus the old one with all those extra keys that I never use.:apple: :).

I will miss the "apple key", but change is always good

Object-X
Aug 8, 2007, 01:33 PM
So where does this leave the XServe? It has now been over a year since any revision in this lineup - I'd rather not purchase last year's "new" server for my organization.

I don't think these announcements have any relevance to the Xserve, since the Xserve technology road map is so different. The only change worth waiting for are the new Nehalem chips, but those probably won't come until next year. A modest speed bump between now and then doesn't seem worth waiting for if you need an Xserve solution now.

bommai
Aug 8, 2007, 01:34 PM
I think Apple made a big mistake with the BT wireless keyboard. However, it is not the same mistake everyone else is talking about. I, for one, like the compactness of the keyboard. I agree that it is great to put on your lap and work on your entertainment mac (possibly hooked up to your bigscreen HDTV). Except - how are you going to control the mouse from the couch. If they went through the trouble to design a brand new keyboard that is compact and works well from a couch, how about the freaking mouse. I would have loved a track pad just like the laptop. The Logitech DiNovo Edge has a trackpad on the side. I did not particularly like the trackpad on that keyboard, that is why I returned it after buying it - and also it costs $200. If Apple had really wanted to allow users to use this keyboard from the couch, they should have included the trackpad. Now, both HT people and the number pad people are disappointed.

Oh Well.

DavisCollins
Aug 8, 2007, 01:34 PM
Why does the wireless keyboard only come in the short stubby version? Why does this make sense?

Because it is made to be more compact that the larger one. According to Steve, "People love to hold them in their laps"

I guess that makes sense. I kind of like it!

fastbite
Aug 8, 2007, 01:35 PM
Yes, the guys at 9to5mac.com seem to be holding their ground. The stuff yesterday was cool. I actually love the new iMac and the new keyboards. ipods soon? needs to happen.:)

bobobo
Aug 8, 2007, 01:36 PM
Leaked photos are not copyrighted. Unless the leaker has signed the NDA. Apple legal would have next to no legal power to remove the photos without fooling you into doing it.

Please remove that nonsense.

Object-X
Aug 8, 2007, 01:39 PM
Because it is made to be more compact that the larger one. According to Steve, "People love to hold them in their laps"

I accept that as a reason for designing a short keyboard, but to not sell an extended wireless keyboard makes no sense at all. They are ruining the esthetics of my work space!! Sometimes Apple's over-simplification of their product line annoys me. :mad:

bobobo
Aug 8, 2007, 01:40 PM

Watch the keynote, Steve explains. Apple doesn't want you to be using the wireless one on your desk. They made it to be used in places you want something compact and thin. Like your lounge.

pinwanger
Aug 8, 2007, 01:41 PM
Would make sense to have the new gen Ipod release after September while Apple get rid of the old ones thru student purchases.

StuPidQPid
Aug 8, 2007, 01:45 PM
I think Apple made a big mistake with the BT wireless keyboard. However, it is not the same mistake everyone else is talking about. I, for one, like the compactness of the keyboard. I agree that it is great to put on your lap and work on your entertainment mac (possibly hooked up to your bigscreen HDTV). Except - how are you going to control the mouse from the couch. If they went through the trouble to design a brand new keyboard that is compact and works well from a couch, how about the freaking mouse. I would have loved a track pad just like the laptop. The Logitech DiNovo Edge has a trackpad on the side. I did not particularly like the trackpad on that keyboard, that is why I returned it after buying it - and also it costs $200. If Apple had really wanted to allow users to use this keyboard from the couch, they should have included the trackpad. Now, both HT people and the number pad people are disappointed.

Oh Well.

You can go the the Universal Access panel in systems preferences and click on the mouse (or mouse & trackpad) tab and change "Mouse Keys" to on, you can then control the mouse using the numeric keypad...

Oh D**n, wait a minute... there is no numeric keypad on the bluetooth keybooard :(
Oh well, I guess you could use the num lock?

bobobo
Aug 8, 2007, 01:47 PM
I think Apple made a big mistake with the BT wireless keyboard.

Where exactly would you put the trackpad?

I think Apple will come up with the solution. It looks like they are researching it. Remember the patent for touch pad on the back?

macintel4me
Aug 8, 2007, 01:47 PM
I've been waiting deperately since December, about 9 months ago, for an updated Mac Pro or at least a price cut. Nada, zip, nothing. I appreciate the $1500 additional 4-core and $1000 RAID BTO's, but really let's move on with it. The Mac Pro is the only Mac our of their entire lineup that is NOT competitive any more. A price cut wouldn't be so hard!!

chr1s60
Aug 8, 2007, 01:54 PM
Aluminum and glass ipods running OSX anyone?

I think that makes sense. It seems that apple is going away from plastic. The Pro series is all aluminum, the iPhone, and the iMac are aluminum as well. Apple seems to not only like the look, but they like the fact that it is highly recyclable. I would expect the iPod to have a back like the iPhone minus the black part for antenna. This is also good because it would get rid of the current scratch attractive iPod backs.

Darkroom
Aug 8, 2007, 02:02 PM
i think it's obvious that apple wouldn't release new iPods during their education sale (or whatever it's called... the "Buy a Mac + free iPod Nano" thing)... so i assume it's a no-brainer that the new iPods will be announced sometime after September 16th (when the sale ends).

Object-X
Aug 8, 2007, 02:06 PM
Watch the keynote, Steve explains. Apple doesn't want you to be using the wireless one on your desk. They made it to be used in places you want something compact and thin. Like your lounge.

Actually, I did watch the keynote and that is not what Jobs said. He didn't say Apple doesn't want you to use a wireless keyboard on your desk, he said that users of wireless keyboards like to use them on their laps. He offered no explanation as to why they don't offer both. When they introduced the original bluetooth keyboard they argued it was for esthetics and to free up the USB ports. I use an Apple wireless keyboard on my desktop just for these reasons.

It seems to me that Apple is once again limiting choice so they can save a buck. It's cheaper for them to only make two keyboard configurations over three. And who uses a keyboard on their lap with a desktop computer? Anyone?

joepunk
Aug 8, 2007, 02:14 PM
I do like the new BT keyboard but I also agree with a few other posters in that why didn't Apple also have a BT extended keyboard as well as the wired.

Is it possible that Apple could have made the smaller keyboard about the size of the first USB Apple keyboard?

bommai
Aug 8, 2007, 02:19 PM
Where exactly would you put the trackpad?

I think Apple will come up with the solution. It looks like they are researching it. Remember the patent for touch pad on the back?

Do a search for Adesso Wireless keyboard. It looks like a laptop keyboard and trackpad. That is what I want except I want it from Apple. The Adesso one is kinda ugly, made for PCs and uses RF instead of Bluetooth.

Multimedia
Aug 8, 2007, 02:22 PM
I love the new iMacs and keyboad designs. Personally I like the wireless keboard for their short and compact look versus the old one with all those extra keys that I never use.:apple: :).

I will miss the "apple key", but change is always goodI love this place. I have the exact opposite point of view about everything the way you view them. It's great to see so many different opinions up here all the time isn't it? :)

My "old" $49 refurbished Bluetooth keyboard with numeric pad arrives today. Just glad I got one before they become dinosaurs. As for the new ones, I really can't believe it. I am speechless with disbelief. Looks like change for the sake of change to me.

Those new keys have a very limited travel distance - almost none - when you press them and they are unsculpted - missing the finger scoops - so you can't feel your fingers resting IN them and you can't feel any distance when you press them. I guess I'm just too old to understand this kind of "new" keyboard as something anyone would like. Is this the future of all keyboards? If so I find that very disheartening. :(

Glossy only iMacs without a matt option? This borders on the insane to my way of thinking. Hook up an external 24" DELL or 23" ACD HD to a new 24" iMac and see which one you wind up spending more time with. It's matt every time. I don't get Apple any more. I love Macs. But this new crop is downright weird.

I wonder how much longer we'll be allowed to buy matt MacBook Pros? Scary. :eek: :(

Now I'm not an iMac kind of guy in the first place so not being Apple's target perhaps my taste for the old doesn't matter. Still waiting for the full Harpertown in Stoakley-Seaburg Mac Pro refresh - hopefully by November after Leopard ships perhaps as soon as late September. Who knows? intel? Apple? Crazy times. :(

reallynotnick
Aug 8, 2007, 02:23 PM
When they introduced the original bluetooth keyboard they argued it was for esthetics and to free up the USB ports. I use an Apple wireless keyboard on my desktop just for these reasons.

It seems to me that Apple is once again limiting choice so they can save a buck. It's cheaper for them to only make two keyboard configurations over three. And who uses a keyboard on their lap with a desktop computer? Anyone?

Well if they had a track pad on the bottom and it was attachted to my big screen TV I would. IDK, I still don't think I wouldn't mind those other keys missing, would make getting to the mouse a lot less of a pain for all of us righties out there.

As for freeing up USB ports I don't really see that as an issue as the keyboard FINALLY has usb 2.0 ports, which are a lot easier to get at then behind the computer.

Really right now I am getting tempted to snap off those other dumb keys, they are starting to taunt me now. (no really it went through my head :p). I think the compactness just adds to it's elegance of the wireless.

It would have been REALLY cool if they had a way to attach the rest of the keys and remove them. Plus on top of that have a rechargeable battery inside that you charge using just the USB cable, so it could become a wired keyboard if you needed also (computer without bluetooth). Now THAT is my dream keyboard. Though I could live without the rechargeable part as they seem to last forever on those AAA's.
Think about it though, one keyboard to fit everyones needs. It is freaking perfect.

Lesser Evets
Aug 8, 2007, 02:27 PM
I am impressed that so many rumors were actually rather accurate, and that a leaked photo was real. That keyboard, I figured, was totally bogusville.

What bums me severe is that Jobs seemed to say something about 'This is the year everything changes' etc etc in January. Yet, has anything really changed that much?? A new OS, spreadsheets .... an iPhone. Those are the real changes, and a new OS isn;t that big a deal since that happens almost yearly. He built up this gigantic expectation of multi-touch or something truly exceptional, but I find the additions and changes to be mildly innovative while plenty of possibilities for improving his software functionality are left to rot.

Is Jobs 'losing it' a little this year?

Clive At Five
Aug 8, 2007, 02:27 PM
I think this is a good message to other rumor mongers like myself that ThinkSecret (though sufferring more recently) is still in it. The Numbers app, the echoing of the aluminum enclosure, the Aug 7th date, the price points... They hit quite a few points head on.

They used to be VERY reliable (when Nick DePlume was running the show) and I remember vividly one WMSF where TS nailed the predictions. Since DePlume got into legal trouble, their reliability has suffered a bit, but I keep having faith that they will get back on their feet.

This event has also served to show that AppleInsider is a crock. "Striking new industrial design" my ass. It's a slightly sleeker aluminium "G5 version" iMac. Seriously that site craps up other people's rumors, Shaw Wu the "Analyst" contacts his "sources" (AI forums) and reports, followed by AI re-reporting on Shaw Wu's AI reports! He's such a stooge!

Anyway, MacRumors remains the best at consolodating all the rumors out there on the web.

Bravo, Arn and contributors!

-Clive

bdj21ya
Aug 8, 2007, 02:30 PM
I've been waiting deperately since December, about 9 months ago, for an updated Mac Pro or at least a price cut. Nada, zip, nothing. I appreciate the $1500 additional 4-core and $1000 RAID BTO's, but really let's move on with it. The Mac Pro is the only Mac our of their entire lineup that is NOT competitive any more. A price cut wouldn't be so hard!!

I'd personally put it to the right, right where they hacked off the number pad, but I'd just have it as an option.

CJD2112
Aug 8, 2007, 02:30 PM

I feel ya on that, and where are the revised Aluminum Cinema Displays? Apple hasn't given their display line a serious refresh since 2004. I find that to be the most disappointing (and hardly talked about) issue with the Pro line... :(

bdj21ya
Aug 8, 2007, 02:33 PM
Actually, I did watch the keynote and that is not what Jobs said. He didn't say Apple doesn't want you to use a wireless keyboard on your desk, he said that users of wireless keyboards like to use them on their laps. He offered no explanation as to why they don't offer both. When they introduced the original bluetooth keyboard they argued it was for esthetics and to free up the USB ports. I use an Apple wireless keyboard on my desktop just for these reasons.

I'd like to mount an iMac (or maybe a larger LCD hooked to a mini) on the wall in my bedroom and use the keyboard exclusively in my lap.

I am impressed that so many rumors were actually rather accurate, and that a leaked photo was real. That keyboard, I figured, was totally bogusville.

What bums me severe is that Jobs seemed to say something about 'This is the year everything changes' etc etc in January. Yet, has anything really changed that much?? A new OS, spreadsheets .... an iPhone. Those are the real changes, and a new OS isn;t that big a deal since that happens almost yearly. He built up this gigantic expectation of multi-touch or something truly exceptional, but I find the additions and changes to be mildly innovative while plenty of possibilities for improving his software functionality are left to rot.

Is Jobs 'losing it' a little this year?

Personally, I don't think so. Certainly Apple is never going to measure up to your wildest fantasies. Yesterday's updates to the software were impressive changes, looked like a lot of work went into them. I'm excited about the new iLife, and Numbers looks like a pretty sweet app for anyone who needs to visually share spreadsheet data (still use excel for real power that doesn't need presenting).

Doctor Q
Aug 8, 2007, 02:37 PM
Perhaps Apple is no longer suppressing every leak because by suppressing the accurate rumors they were essentially confirming them.

bdj21ya
Aug 8, 2007, 02:42 PM
I love this place. I have the exact opposite point of view about everything the way you view them. It's great to see so many different opinions up here all the time isn't it? :)

My "old" $49 refurbished Bluetooth keyboard with numeric pad arrives today. Just glad I got one before they become dinosaurs. As for the new ones, I really can't believe it. I am speechless with disbelief. Looks like change for the sake of change to me.

Those new keys have a very limited travel distance - almost none - when you press them and they are unsculpted - missing the finger scoops - so you can't feel your fingers resting IN them and you can't feel any distance when you press them. I guess I'm just too old to understand this kind of "new" keyboard as something anyone would like. Is this the future of all keyboards? If so I find that very disheartening. :(

Glossy only iMacs without a matt option? This borders on the insane to my way of thinking. Hook up an external 24" DELL or 23" ACD HD to a new 24" iMac and see which one you wind up spending more time with. It's matt every time. I don't get Apple any more. I love Macs. But this new crop is downright weird.

I wonder how much longer we'll be allowed to buy matt MacBook Pros? Scary. :eek: :(

Now I'm not an iMac kind of guy in the first place so not being Apple's target perhaps my taste for the old doesn't matter. Still waiting for the full Harpertown in Stoakley-Seaburg Mac Pro refresh - hopefully by November after Leopard ships perhaps as soon as late September. Who knows? intel? Apple? Crazy times. :(

If you look at where Apple is going with the iMac (media such as movies and photos), it makes a lot of sense to focus on glossy screens, which display these with a lot more contrast. I went into the Apple store yesterday, and the screens do look beautiful. I can understand the concern for some applications, but these are meant to be so media intensive that I think Apple would rather save the money and just go with the option that will be best for most consumers of the iMac.

Object-X
Aug 8, 2007, 02:50 PM
If you look at where Apple is going with the iMac (media such as movies and photos), it makes a lot of sense to focus on glossy screens, which display these with a lot more contrast. I went into the Apple store yesterday, and the screens do look beautiful. I can understand the concern for some applications, but these are meant to be so media intensive that I think Apple would rather save the money and just go with the option that will be best for most consumers of the iMac.

I agree. Notice Apple didn't come out with glossy cinema displays. I don't think they will either. Cinema displays are primarily for Mac Pro and MacBook Pro users. The real issue here is if pro users prefer matte or glossy for their work. My guess is matte.

But I like glossy, so I'm getting an iMac! ;)

Sucks about the keyboard though. I know, I'm still chewing on that bone.

Multimedia
Aug 8, 2007, 02:51 PM
I feel ya on that, and where are the revised Aluminum Cinema Displays? Apple hasn't given their display line a serious refresh since 2004. I find that to be the most disappointing (and hardly talked about) issue with the Pro line... :(Yeah. They can't even offer HCG for their premium price when both DELL and HP have been doing it for a year already for far less.

BTW HP just introduced a new $100 rebate through Halloween on up to five (total $500 if you need that many) of their 30" HCG triple Dual Link DVI input (including one with HDCP) LP3065 monitors. Tiger direct sells it for only $1450 so net $1350 from there (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2578169&Sku=H24-EZ320%20SB&SRCCODE=NEXTAG&CMP=EMC-NEXTAG). Note the HP is both VESA compatible plus it's the only 30" monitor with a 5" elevator on its included stand. I know some of you think they are butt ugly. But for value the HP can't be beat.

Almost forgot to mention it comes with TWO DL DVI cables as well. Pretty sweet deal if you're in a situation with more than one Mac and/or PS3/XBox etc.

jellomizer
Aug 8, 2007, 02:51 PM
Well with the Leaked Keyboard image. How much are you willing to bet that some chinense manufacture is going to loose a big contract. Either soon or when it expires. Apple is tough on this stuff. Most likely because it was leaked on a Chinese site Apple doesn't have the same jurestiction as it does in the states, but they are good on seeing where the leak went probably a manufacture, I am willing to bet that they may be loosing a big client and the guy who did the leak would probably loose his job (due to downsizing) as well as his co-workers, and if they know who did it they may be pissed at him.

hollywoodmacguy
Aug 8, 2007, 02:57 PM
I feel ya on that, and where are the revised Aluminum Cinema Displays? Apple hasn't given their display line a serious refresh since 2004. I find that to be the most disappointing (and hardly talked about) issue with the Pro line... :(

Could not agree with you more. The ACDs have been languishing and no real sense that there are any changes in the works. Changes such as built-in iSight, HDMI in/out, HDCP support and, as you mentioned, aluminum casings. Not to mention LED backlit displays, although, given their size, this may be a ways off still...

Maybe new displays in October to showcase Leopard at the Town Hall? :rolleyes:

mainstreetmark
Aug 8, 2007, 02:59 PM
I'm hoping for a significant improvement in the full screen iPod. THe one on the iPhone has several shortcomings. Also, more disturbingly, the iPod currently doesn't run "OSX", so hopefully whatever app they write for the fullscreen iPod will be the same as the one that runs on the iPhone, which currently is nothing like an iPod:

- No mousewheel. Scrubbing a song, and particularly a podcast, is nearly impossible when you're used to the clickwheel
- The Coverflow browses the entire library, vs the current playlist
- The familiar "album->scrubber->rating" progression is gone, replaced with a "album->list-of-songs-on-that-album-whether-they're-in-the-playlist-or-not, with-some-stars-up-at-the-top-you-can-barely-see"
- "Add to Playlist" is only accomplished by going to the "On the Go" and editing it (which means hunting down songs again). I can't find a "click + hold" equivalent.
- Presumably, being a touchscreen, it'll lock the screen, which means when you want to fast forward, you have to unlock the screen first, or at least wake it up.

I'm prepared to say that a touchscreen iPod is NOT the way of the future, yet. You all who don't have iPhones may find this hard to understand, but this iPod is much less easy to use, for reasons beyond my rant here.

miketcool
Aug 8, 2007, 03:02 PM
If you ask me, this is what the 6G ipod is going to be:

http://daapspace4.daap.uc.edu/~wiglemd/6ipod.jpg

Try the screen configurations out, this is just slightly smaller then the current 40GB iPod and it has a nice 3.5 inch display. I am working on the nano, which IMO will still have the click wheel but a possible 2.5 inch display, rotated of course.

FatMax
Aug 8, 2007, 03:11 PM

I use my keyboard on my lap on my desktop. I have a mini connected to my 32" lcd tv that i use as a sort of a mediacenter. The problem however is how the keyboard always seems to slide off my thies as I lean back to enjoy macrumors or whatever. I have an Apple BT keyboard. Now it seems as the new one wouldnt do that, but I sure as hell expected Apple to solve my un-sexy cluttering while trying to lie back and relax whilst Im using the mouse and the way to big keyboard.

Guess they didnt.

Object-X
Aug 8, 2007, 03:12 PM
Could not agree with you more. The ACDs have been languishing and no real sense that there are any changes in the works.

Actually, Apple has stated that higher DPI monitors are coming. These won't be available until next year. They said this during a Tech Talk I attended while discussing the new resolution independence features of Leopard.

I think the technology between Pro and Consumer machines will likely diverge more significantly in the future.

Clive At Five
Aug 8, 2007, 03:15 PM
Could not agree with you more. The ACDs have been languishing and no real sense that there are any changes in the works. Changes such as built-in iSight, HDMI in/out, HDCP support and, as you mentioned, aluminum casings. Not to mention LED backlit displays, although, given their size, this may be a ways off still...

Maybe new displays in October to showcase Leopard at the Town Hall? :rolleyes:

Re: iSight -- If Apple builds an iSight into the ACD, they will either create another terrible proprietary display adapter or will have to run an extra cord to the unit. Yuck.

Re: HDMI -- HDMI is equivalent to DVI. The only difference is that an HDMI cable carries audio as well. That won't be necessary unless Apple puts speakers in the ACDs... which would give the units an iMac-esque chin. Yay!

Re: LED Backlight -- you said it... WAAAAAAY too expensive... and I'm pretty sure it doesn't even exist for anything over 17"... which is why I laughed at the people who were calling for LED-backlit 20" & 24" iMacs.

hahah. Goofs.

Anyway, the only thing "languishing" about the ACDs are their exterior (and *maybe* their resolution)... but personally, as long as they still match Apple's product line (which they do) I don't see a problem with them.

-Clive

twoodcc
Aug 8, 2007, 03:17 PM
sounds interesting. i guess this new rumor source is pretty good. we'll see if they're right about the ipods

offwidafairies
Aug 8, 2007, 03:20 PM
new ipods would be cool. im feeling the "come down" after yesterdays event.

KSB
Aug 8, 2007, 03:21 PM
I hope they'll bump the Macbook Pro 17" at the leopard event, give it the deserved LED screen and macbook keyboard with backlight :cool:

iMosaic
Aug 8, 2007, 03:23 PM
I like the slim new look of the bluetooth keyboard. If you still want the long version keep an eye on the Apple refurbs, $49 for BT Keyboard old style. :)

lazyrighteye
Aug 8, 2007, 03:41 PM
Actually the 17 inch model (in the old white plastic) is still available in the Education store for $899.

FWIW, I was just at the Aspen Grove Apple Store in Colorado, over lunch, and they have the older iMacs still on display - along with the new ones.
When I asked if they were still selling the old iMacs, I was told they are and that they think at the same price points. The employee immediately said, (paraphrasing) that for the same price you can get a much better iMac.

True, why would anyone buy an old one?
And more importantly, why are those still available in stores??

Anywho... new iMac looks and feels great.
Tho, to my surprise, I did see a LOT of the spinny rainbow ball.
I think I had Safari, Gargeband, iPhoto, iTunes and maaaybe iMovie open. But still, was not expecting that.

pagansoul
Aug 8, 2007, 03:43 PM
I need a isight for my Mac Pro. I will not spend $200 on a used/or new one I see posting on ebay. I just want a cam that will work well with my machine. I wished they would come out with a new one but that dream is gone.

Zwhaler
Aug 8, 2007, 03:46 PM
Wirelessly posted (LGE-VX9900/1.0 UP.Browser/6.2.3.2 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

I really hope for a touchscreen ipod in september... Ive been waiting quite some time for one to come.

A Pittarelli
Aug 8, 2007, 03:47 PM
hmm mac pros, xserve and ipods with leopard?

Clive At Five
Aug 8, 2007, 04:03 PM
Wirelessly posted (LGE-VX9900/1.0 UP.Browser/6.2.3.2 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

I really hope for a touchscreen ipod in september... Ive been waiting quite some time for one to come.

You and everyone else.

-Clive

thehouseofdis
Aug 8, 2007, 04:05 PM
I need a new iPod too. An 80 or 120 GB full touch screen would be ideal. I hope it's introduced in September.

Hairball
Aug 8, 2007, 04:07 PM

I understand your rationale, but have you seen the glare on the displays?

I would hate to have to shut/reposition the blinds each time the sun changes position in the sky. Steve Jobs sold the idea that glossy is what Apple's customers want, but I think it is what Steve and Apple want. I'm hoping that in about a year to a year and a half, when I'll in the market again for a new Mac, that there is an option for a matte display.

Pigumon
Aug 8, 2007, 04:08 PM

I'm surprised there aren't more people going on and on about the new keyboard. You hear TOO much about people saying how much they love their 3 inch high keyboards with all the clackety-clack of fake tv data entry. I saw some guy say "how unergonomic" about the thin profile keyboards. I guess he's never used one. I really think people don't give them a chance, everything different takes a while to get used to. I'm certainly not saying ANYTHING different is better, but if it's better, it's BETTER! I bought a Mac Ally keyboard that was the closest to my Powerbook keyboard that I could find. To put it simply, you barely have to move your fingers to use it, just like a laptop keyboard. Less effort is a key point to industrial and ergonomic design. CTS is caused by overusing your hand and wrist muscles.

The new appple keyboard is going to save a LOT of wrists. I can't wait to get one!

thehouseofdis
Aug 8, 2007, 04:11 PM
Is there any kind of film you can put over the glossy screen to make it matte? If there isn't I'm sure it wouldn't be a hard thing to come up with for one the Mac peripheral companies.

bobobo
Aug 8, 2007, 04:17 PM
Actually, I did watch the keynote and that is not what Jobs said.

I said that. I never used quotation marks. I'll meditate on how to make it more clear for next time.

Do a search for Adesso Wireless keyboard. It looks like a laptop keyboard and trackpad. That is what I want except I want it from Apple. The Adesso one is kinda ugly, made for PCs and uses RF instead of Bluetooth.

I should of added "on a compact keyboard."

The Adesso isn't compact at all.

bobobo
Aug 8, 2007, 04:34 PM
Re: LED Backlight -- you said it... WAAAAAAY too expensive... and I'm pretty sure it doesn't even exist for anything over 17"... which is why I laughed at the people who were calling for LED-backlit 20" & 24" iMacs.

Clive, what do you know about LED back lights?

It is a production and technological cost not a financial cost. So unless you meant expensive in a non-financial way you would be talking out of your ass.

corywoolf
Aug 8, 2007, 04:35 PM

Where do you put the mouse then? I guess if your typing a paper then you could lean back in your seat and type. It just seems like it takes the point away of an external keyboard. Just use the keyboard on the laptop and save yourself the money. I would rather have a warm lap then spend eighty dollars on a crippled keyboard. Wired keyboard FTW.

Clive, what do you know about LED back lights?

It is a production and technological cost not a financial cost. So unless you meant expensive in a non-financial way you would be talking out of your ass.

It's just unlikely the iMac would get an LED display before the 17" MBP.

sw1tcher
Aug 8, 2007, 04:38 PM
The iPods always seem to be updated in September, in time for Christmas season, but close enough to the end of the 'Back To School Promotion' that no one using that promotion can get a new iPod.

I can't wait for the new ones. :)

Agreed. That's how I remember it for the past 2 or 3 back to school specials Apple has run.

corywoolf
Aug 8, 2007, 04:42 PM
I need a new iPod too. An 80 or 120 GB full touch screen would be ideal. I hope it's introduced in September.

My bet's on October. They will probably release both iPods and iPod nanos at the same event. The shuffle will probably not be updated though. Sept. just seems too soon. There should be a few weeks where MacRumors is desperate for Apple news not related to the iPhone hacking. :p

felixkunze
Aug 8, 2007, 05:50 PM
I went to Bluewater and got mine in the UK today!!! Yeah. Full unboxing pictures below:
.mac iMac unboxing Gallery - UK (http://gallery.mac.com/felixkunze/100002)

wizard
Aug 8, 2007, 05:57 PM

Frankly with Peryn based technology just around the corner it would not be wise to purchase even this years technology. Server wise Intels coming 45nm technology should offer up a lot of performance for a given amount of power in. That is the technology jump is so huge that it would pay to put off any server hardware into next year if at all possible.

Frankly if I as Apple I'd not worry myself with updates to the current servers until penryn is out. Anything they could produce now with current technology would only offer up a minor enhancement over the current machines.

In other words I'd milk what hardware I had until next year if at all possible.

Dave

Is there any kind of film you can put over the glossy screen to make it matte? If there isn't I'm sure it wouldn't be a hard thing to come up with for one the Mac peripheral companies.

Try Vaseline, that will get rid of the gloss pretty quick.:eek::eek::eek::eek: Of course people will be wondering what you have been doing with your iMac, but then they will realize that you are a geek and slowly drift away.

Dave

BIGIRON
Aug 8, 2007, 07:49 PM
Ive been lurking on and off for a bit and I'm ready to get myself a mac....why now you ask? well Ive been using Xp for quite a while (mostly gaming) and its been fine to do some web stuff and gaming but I hate Vista...I freaking hate it. I hate Vista with the passion of a million burning suns. I will not buy a Vista rig....period

I will not deal with an OS that is so nosey that it try's to ferret out my ill gotten MP3s..yes I have quite a few of those and I wager that many of us do. I also have alot of TV shows...once again yes they aren't legal but I'm not about to have the digital rights act forced upon me by MS. I have huge problems with the unstable bloated nature of Vista as well, its unsuited for anything but web surfing its to unstable for gaming which is hobby for me.

So here I am ready to switch to a mac, I wont give up my xp gaming rig but for general use I'm moving to a mac for the upcoming leopard os. So do I get an Imac or a mac pro? I like the new Imac which spurred me to actually post something here.
Nice to meet you all and I look forward to many interesting posts.

AidenShaw
Aug 8, 2007, 07:50 PM
Frankly with Peryn based technology just around the corner it would not be wise to purchase even this years technology. Server wise Intels coming 45nm technology should offer up a lot of performance for a given amount of power in. That is the technology jump is so huge that it would pay to put off any server hardware into next year if at all possible.

Frankly if I as Apple I'd not worry myself with updates to the current servers until penryn is out. Anything they could produce now with current technology would only offer up a minor enhancement over the current machines.

In other words I'd milk what hardware I had until next year if at all possible.

Dave

But as soon as Penryn is available then you'll know that it's just a few months before Nehalem comes out....

In other words - something better is always coming, get used to it. When your current system is causing you pain, upgrade it.

Plus (and a BIG PLUS), Apple has shown that it's not going to jump right away on each new upgrade from Intel. It was almost half a year after Dell was shipping Clovertown before the Octo MacIntelPro came out. Merom and Santa Rosa were delayed long after the rest of the Intel PC crowd had them.

So, unless you know that a big upgrade is imminent, don't wait - buy!

So do I get an Imac or a mac pro?

If you even ask the question, you should get an Imac.

The Mac Pro is a huge box, much more expensive, and really made for workstation use.

But, unfortunately, it's the only system in the Apple lineup with PCIe slots and user expandability.

It sounds like a mini-tower would be perfect for you - but you're SOOL (#2) (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=sool) with Apple on that front.

buddhahacker
Aug 8, 2007, 10:35 PM
Leaked photos are not copyrighted. Unless the leaker has signed the NDA. Apple legal would have next to no legal power to remove the photos without fooling you into doing it.

Please remove that nonsense.

At the point an idea is written down, a photo graph is taken or a painting is painted the material is copyrighted. No registration required. If someone "leaked" a photo it means that they stole it. So not only is the material copyrighted but whoever puts it on their website has received stolen goods. Both are not good. The only two situations where you could post a photo is if you have written permission from the copyright holder or if they voluntarily provided you with the material with no conditions i.e. no NDA. Even in the last situation they could argue that whoever provided you with the photo didn't have authority to do so.

pepp5
Aug 9, 2007, 01:32 AM
I went to Bluewater and got mine in the UK today!!! Yeah. Full unboxing pictures below:
.mac iMac unboxing Gallery - UK (http://gallery.mac.com/felixkunze/100002)

Both of the qt movies on this gallery fail for me. "Quicktime is unable to play this movie. Please try again."

They also fail for a friend as well. We're both on 10.4.10, qt 7.2.0, but we both have flip4mac. Does it work for anyone else? Felix, did you do anything different on these movie files?

aswitcher
Aug 9, 2007, 01:47 AM
The rumoured iPod Touch is good news. I really hope Apple dont cripple it. In my mind it needs WiFi and BT, everything but a phone and with GBs of HDD.

felixkunze
Aug 9, 2007, 03:34 AM
Pepp5 - Not sure what's going on with the quicktime video on my Web Gallery. I posted those straight from iPhoto. I didn't have much time yesterday to mess around and figure out what's wrong. I'll try again tonight. But it seems that its an issue with the web gallery itself. I can play the video using quicktime on my new iMac and could even before having Flip4Mac installed.

24" iMac unboxing pictures .mac web gallery (http://gallery.mac.com/felixkunze/100002)

If anyone can shed light on this issue, maybe there should be another thread for that.

k2k koos
Aug 10, 2007, 05:36 AM
In the US, these apps cost $79,- each (plus tax where applicable)
In the UK, they cost 55,- incl tax
This is $110,- at the current exchange rates.....
The UK copy, should cost 46,- (our tax rate is 17.5%) including taxes to be charged the same price plus tax as in US.
Why are UK and european customers being ripped off again? If Apple wants to grow , world wide, please do something about these price differences across the board, so that we are charged similar to the US, and Apple has a fairer competing chance, and an even more greatful following. :apple: