Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Moz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2003
Milwaukee, WI
Hey, just wondering if anyone out there can help out with an issue that my grandmother is having with her iMac G4. The silver neck that the flat screen is attached to, is loose. I'm wondering if there is a way to tighten the neck, so that when she adjusts the screen, it won't fall back down.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

M.

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
If the machine is under 1 year hardware warranty or Applecare, take it to an authorized service provider. They have tighten some 16 screws with a screwdriver that only Apple service providers can order. The reason for that is all the cables going up and down the neck if suddenly caught by the hinges might fray. If the machine isn't under warranty, prepare for a stiff service fee.

applemacdude

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2001
Over The Rainbow
Paying for it is much better than breaking it yourself or the neck getting damaged. Take it to a shop, Apple Store or whatever just don't do it yourself.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
i was always wondering if this would ever happen and then i pictured an imac stand people woudl have to buy to keep the top in place.

bpd115

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2003
Pennsylvania
Solution

Mine was doing this too (although not that bad...it would sag slightly until the screen was halfway through the apple logo)...

look for something called the iMac G4 Neck tool (you can get it on dr. bott's website for 14.00)...

You can then take out the screw in the bottom of the base (the triangular notched plates) and replace 2 washers, screw it back together and it should be fine....

Mine is as good as new

frescies

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
heh...

My Imac neck starting making a crunching sound.... literally.

When moving the monitor up and down the neck would go: Crunch... CrUnCh..... CrUnCh!!

It sorta went away, and the neck certainly has gotten slightly loose over time. I wonder what that crunching sound was anyway.

Moz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2003
Milwaukee, WI
THANK YOU

A great big THANKS to everyone that responded to my post.

I ended up calling Small Dog Electronics (the place that I got her refurb G4 iMac from), and since the refurb iMac is still under 1 year warranty, they suggested that I take it to the Apple store closest to me, and that they could tighten the neck there.

Apparently, this is a problem with this design, and I'm not the only one with this happening.

I'll take her iMac in this week, and let everyone know how the Apple store handles the situation. Hopefully they won't suck, and they'll fix it no problem.

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
Originally posted by mnkeybsness
i thought the iMacs were not supposed to loosen up even with excessive use. that seems to be what steve said at the Keynote when they were introduced.

That is correct. They are supposed to be relatively stable in terms of their looseness. However, there have been numerous documented cases where a technician may have installed technician only accessible RAM, and a few cases where people voided their warranty by installing a bigger hard drive inside the Flat Panel iMac and not tightening the neck just the right amount. This is a job only an authorized service provider should do, and not all seem to know how to do it right. It is very fine calibration, very much like the bearings on the Segway.

Additionally, unpacking the Flat Panel iMac from its box can loosen the neck improperly if too much force is used on the neck when removing it from the styrofoam. This has been an issue when the iMac had its RAM installed at third party dealers before shipping to the customer, an issue with customs mishandling the machine in transit, and an issue when getting the machine. I personally have recommended to Apple to put in a set of proper unpacking instructions so people don't use too much force. If you open the box from the bottom while the box is on its side on the floor, and push the machine through from top to bottom of the box, you can get the styrofoam off in one piece without exerting too much force on the machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.