PDA

View Full Version : G3 imac body... MacMini Heart ?

gothiquegirrl
Aug 8, 2007, 09:34 PM
OK..So my G3 imac runs GREAT right now.. but i was thinking about either getting an old G3 that doens't work... or maybe moding the body of my current one when it breaks... BUT I was wondering if anyone else had done this?

I thought SURELY someone has??

Is there a way to mount a Flat Panel Monitor in there..Would have to likely be an older one that isn't wide screen?

Or am i stupid for even asking?

Ang

iToaster
Aug 8, 2007, 09:43 PM
Hmm, there's always a way, but you'd have to get creative with that. I dunno if a Mac Mini would work... but there's always a way. I'd clean out the iMac, get a screen the size of the iMac's, strip the mini of it's outer casing, hook up the monitor via DVI or something, sit the mini in there where the (slot loading) optical drive is and run cable extenders to the old ports (might even stick a small fan in the exhaust to make sure it doesn't get toasty). It should resemble the old iMac fairly well.

Boika
Aug 8, 2007, 09:44 PM
OK..So my G3 imac runs GREAT right now.. but i was thinking about either getting an old G3 that doens't work... or maybe moding the body of my current one when it breaks... BUT I was wondering if anyone else had done this?

I thought SURELY someone has??

Is there a way to mount a Flat Panel Monitor in there..Would have to likely be an older one that isn't wide screen?

Or am i stupid for even asking?

Ang

I saw someone put a lcd monitor into a g3 imac case on some website a while back (forget the sit)e so it is possible and i can imagine you could mod it to sit a mac mini underneath or behind it, just getting to all the ports and cd drive would be a hassle unless u connect a usb hub or something?

hotinplaya
Aug 9, 2007, 12:47 AM
I saw someone put a lcd monitor into a g3 imac case on some website a while back (forget the sit)e so it is possible and i can imagine you could mod it to sit a mac mini underneath or behind it, just getting to all the ports and cd drive would be a hassle unless u connect a usb hub or something?

I saw a while back, where some one did that with a Mac SE, gutted it, flat panel screen and a mini mac in side, looked wild, seeing OSX on a Mac SE